Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Algol Star posted:

Starting to get annoyed at the lack of yeast in the supermarkets, are people really suddenly baking their own bread en mass?

They might be in for a shock: if you've only ever bought loaves from the shop, making your own requires quite a bit of effort and it's easy to mess up the 1st few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh loving LOL this means all those fuckers avoiding paying child support by paying themselves £100 per week will be paid next to nothing!

YESSSSSS.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could do what I do as far as anything that's supposed to rise goes, and just not bother and learn to like extremely dense baked goods. Big Yeast will not ensnare me with its devious wiles.

(again highly recommended as an alternative to scones because they keep for like a week rather than half a day if you're lucky)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

He was also extremely proud of having set the speed record for entering Cockney rhyming slang (since broken by Jeremy Hunt). I wouldn't listen to James Blunt's music, but I do like him.

He’s genuinely a nice guy. My little brother spent most of his time at boarding school loving the poo poo out of his sister, so I’ve met him a few times (also his parents are the poshest people I’ve ever met, and I’ve literally met royalty).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I guess that makes sense if they do the boiling thing, cos I think you can do that with stuff that doesn't involve actually pickling it, and absenting that there's not really a word, and "jarring" sounds weird and is already taken.
And tinning is when you coat something with tin or solder.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

you can make cornbread without yeast and it's good but more like cake than bread. cut out like 80% of the sugar the recipe asks for.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Im going to Tesco for a few things anyone need anything?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

you can make cornbread without yeast and it's good but more like cake than bread. cut out like 80% of the sugar the recipe asks for.

I keep forgetting that yanks put a mountain of sugar in their bread. Does it just taste like ice buns or something?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Camrath posted:

My little brother spent most of his time at boarding school loving the poo poo out of his sister

We live in interesting times.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a vague impression that james blunt's sister was also famous but I think I'm thinking of daniel/natasha bedingfield.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

I keep forgetting that yanks put a mountain of sugar in their bread. Does it just taste like ice buns or something?

Yes. Having a ham sandwich with their white sliced is very odd.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Food delivery trip report:

Someone from the local mutual aid group messaged me the night before with a list of the people whose food I would be delivering. I got to the food bank just before 2pm, there were at least two other people there to pick up deliveries and I think we all had a few stops each. I wrote down the list of names and gave it to one of the food bank volunteers, and she brought out the bags from storage. I had 6 stops with a couple of bags at each stop - it's mostly tins so it is heavy and bulky. Although my stops were only about 1 mile apart, it probably took me about 1.5 hours to complete my round in my car, mostly because it was tight residential roads. Also a lot of the people who are getting this food are older or disabled, so it can take a while for them to get to the door. I was given their phone numbers which was really useful as a lot of people around here don't like opening the door to strangers. Past election canvassing experience came in handy too, as it meant I knew how to navigate the non-Euclidean geometry of the blocks of flats and sheltered housing around here!

Some tips if anyone else is interested in doing this:
- Bring a pen and paper so you can write down your stops - if you need to use one from the food bank you can't give it back.
- They gave me a pair of gloves, but I'm not sure how clean they were after a few stops. If possible bring multiple pairs of your own.
- I supplemented the gloves with a pack of antibacterial wipes and wiped my hands and the car controls between stops.
- If you can, get contact numbers for the people you are delivering to so you can make sure they are in.
- If you are driving, plan where you are going to park in advance - because everyone is at home there is no space to park on a lot of residential streets.

I heard one of the food bank volunteers saying that they are running pretty low on food because people aren't going shopping and there are shortages of canned and dried food, so please keep donating if you can.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

I had a vague impression that james blunt's sister was also famous but I think I'm thinking of daniel/natasha bedingfield.

She does something in big capital now, but also did vocals on some of his songs.

I think you’re thinking of someone else

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think Paul Thomas may have done a cartoon of you skyping Alan Moore in the Express but I'm not sure why.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

reminder that james blunt is a massive privileged oval office who said that brexit won't affect our lives

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ratjaculation posted:

reminder that james blunt is a massive privileged oval office who said that brexit won't affect our lives

For sure. I’m talking about 20 years or so back.

(gently caress, I’m talking about 20 years ago.. I’m still young dammit..)

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

I am awful at yeast breads so I usually make soda bread, has anyone seen what stocks of bicarb are like?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I think Paul Thomas may have done a cartoon of you skyping Alan Moore in the Express but I'm not sure why.

Harsh but eerily accurate. I do have that annoying thing where I can't grow a big mustache.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Pistol_Pete posted:

They might be in for a shock: if you've only ever bought loaves from the shop, making your own requires quite a bit of effort and it's easy to mess up the 1st few times.

Here's my recipe for you all. It's based on the no-knead recipes. I have made it even lazier.
1. Get a bowl big enough to put over your head.
2. Pour 500ml of barely just warm water in the bowl. Add 1/4tsp of yeast and disperse it.
3. Add in 500g of flour and give it a bit of a stir around.
3a. Mix in any other random ingredients you like. Olives. Dried tomatoes. Rosemary. Whatever
4. Put a damp towel over the top and leave it for 12 hours. If you've timed it wrong so you won't be around 12 hours later, give it a shake or a stir when it looks like it's going to overflow and it will collapse. Or put it in the fridge.
5. Get a tin and smear something oily around the inside. Chuck a bit of flour in and shake it around until the flour covers the inside. Stops it sticking.
6. Tip the dough into the tin and leave it for up to another hour to grow more. Maybe throw a bit of flour on the top for niceness.
7. Bung it in a 190 degree oven for 40 minutes.
8. Eat.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Everyone ready for a clap?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no!!!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jedit posted:

He was also extremely proud of having set the speed record for entering Cockney rhyming slang (since broken by Jeremy Hunt). I wouldn't listen to James Blunt's music, but I do like him.

Want there some urban legend that he also stopped some Americans from attacking a Russian airbase during Kosovo?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NotJustANumber99 posted:

god drat it tell your mom this isn't how you get that information out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Furiously twerking in appreciation of the NHS.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

buy 👏 more 👏 ventilators 👏 and 👏 PPE 👏

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
See what happens when you force the Irish to shut the pubs? Second invention in a week.

https://twitter.com/Akara_Robotics/status/1239986199617507328

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are two cats fighting outside my window, I do not find this patriotic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
people have started clapping here a full thirty seconds early and as a result I now will not only not clap for the NHS I will work towards it's utter destruction.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

why are people clapping outside is this related to the posting just now

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Endjinneer posted:

Here's my recipe for you all. It's based on the no-knead recipes. I have made it even lazier.
1. Get a bowl big enough to put over your head.
2. Pour 500ml of barely just warm water in the bowl. Add 1/4tsp of yeast and disperse it.
3. Add in 500g of flour and give it a bit of a stir around.
3a. Mix in any other random ingredients you like. Olives. Dried tomatoes. Rosemary. Whatever
4. Put a damp towel over the top and leave it for 12 hours. If you've timed it wrong so you won't be around 12 hours later, give it a shake or a stir when it looks like it's going to overflow and it will collapse. Or put it in the fridge.
5. Get a tin and smear something oily around the inside. Chuck a bit of flour in and shake it around until the flour covers the inside. Stops it sticking.
6. Tip the dough into the tin and leave it for up to another hour to grow more. Maybe throw a bit of flour on the top for niceness.
7. Bung it in a 190 degree oven for 40 minutes.
8. Eat.

This is how to make denser bread for the toaster.

1. Buy kenwood chef
2. Put in dough hook
3. 500g 00 flour, 300ml lukewarm water, 1tbs sugar, 1tsp salt, 25g oil or butter, 1 packet or 7g of dried yeast in the mixing bowl
4. turn on Kenwood chef
5. Take off dough hook
6. Leave it alone for an hour
7. Put in tin
8. Leave it alone for an hour
9. 180 degree (fan) 30 mins.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

My estate is echoing with applause and cheers.

This is actually somewhat heartwarming

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh my god a load of weirdoes are actually loving clapping what the gently caress

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Camrath posted:

My estate is echoing with applause and cheers.

This is actually somewhat heartwarming

Yeah, it was a little more patchy here but honestly, it was nice

OwlFancier posted:

Oh my god a load of weirdoes are actually loving clapping what the gently caress

ah shut up ya miserable auld oval office

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

there's people still shouting outside.

e: i guess it's easier shouting for the nhs than it is voting for a government which doesn't cut their budget

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whatever it was it was loving stupid

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know nothing about this clapping thing and thought my city had put on a late night marathon or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo they're still clapping, and a foghorn's just gone off on the Thames. I'm actually, genuinely, moved by this. I think there's a lot of anxiety and isolation and people are just relieved to be doing *something*.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I clapped some cheeks

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I've died and this is Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Some dickhead went around the estate honking his horn, assuming same dickhead who started setting off Brexit fireworks a 11pm and got yelled at to shut the gently caress up.