Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

why are people clapping outside is this related to the posting just now

Jose posted:

whatever it was it was loving stupid

Ah, so it *was* about your posting then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Holy poo poo they're still clapping, and a foghorn's just gone off on the Thames. I'm actually, genuinely, moved by this. I think there's a lot of anxiety and isolation and people are just relieved to be doing *something*.

Exactly that. I’m almost moved to tears tbh. This is the first proper expression of solidarity I’ve ever seen here.

It’s still going on

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Holy poo poo they're still clapping, and a foghorn's just gone off on the Thames. I'm actually, genuinely, moved by this. I think there's a lot of anxiety and isolation and people are just relieved to be doing *something*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Lol it's also apparently woken up all the seagulls who are now flying around screaming.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
lotta cool cats itt right now

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

hrrgnh colonel im trying to sneak around but im dummy thicc and the clap from my rear end cheeks keeps alerting the virus

Edit: I did a little real clap once I heard the number of other people doing it.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, I normall just lurk this thread but if any of you were clapping just now. gently caress you. My dogs are going loving nuts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I refer the honourable gentleman to the post I previously made.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I would feel better if people weren't basically clapping at each other on the rationale that the people they're supposed to be clapping at are either at work or trying to sleep.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Barry Foster posted:

lotta cool cats itt right now

My cool cats don’t know wtf is happening.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now they're singing I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles on my niece's estate and I'm jealous.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Nothing here but then I face onto a small enclosed communal garden and 6 flats face onto it, mostly occupied by people in their late 80s who probably have zero idea this is happening, 2 ducks who have commandeered the garden pond and a river.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I would feel better if people weren't basically clapping at each other on the rationale that the people they're supposed to be clapping at are either at work or trying to sleep.

communal expressions of solidarity are verboten says leftist

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I hate that my first reaction to this is "how can I hide whilst also showing support".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I heard zero clapping. The pox shall claim this village and none will help.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

See what happens when you force the Irish to shut the pubs? Second invention in a week.

https://twitter.com/Akara_Robotics/status/1239986199617507328
UV-C tubes are ace for killing the poo poo out of everything (this includes your skin and eye cells). I made a breadbox ages ago that ran one for 5 minutes after each time you closed the lid/door/thing on it and it stopped bread from going moldy very well. Doesn't stop it going stale though.

I keep meaning to use one to make a water sterilizer, because 2mm of standard soda glass blocks >99% of mercury vapor line UVC, so it's safe to run one inside a water jug. The tube I got for that last year is being put to other uses at the moment though.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah half the people clapping are still going to go vote tory

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

imagine the amount of sympathy I have for someone participating in tax evasion

Are you saying I'm tax evading? That's economic advice from my accountant that pretty much everyone in the same boat follows, so that the other ~£4k is in there towards guess what? Corporation Tax on what my business pulls in and dividend tax that's increased a fuckload in the last few years.
If that's not what your saying, cool. If it is, shut the gently caress up if you don't know what you're talking about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* it rings very hollow when I know that a majority of them will still vote for the tories to gently caress up the people they supposedly love today.

If you don't feel that way then I'm not going to tell you you shouldn't, because whatever makes you happy, but it's not something I can really share.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm kind of a cool dude, so this is the bit of the movie where I do an eye roll.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Josef bugman posted:

I hate that my first reaction to this is "how can I hide whilst also showing support".

I think anyone who works for the NHS would say that they would take a person hiding and not spreading the virus over clapping any day.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Our dog was puzzled but well-behaved about the whole thing, and so she is now happily chewing through the dental stick she got as a reward.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah that was loud. If actual NHS people enjoy it then great. Let's give them some loving money now though yeah?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Urgh the headlines tomorrow are going to be awful, they're gonna have some poo poo eating tory on the news saying how good it is.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

stev posted:

Yeah that was loud. If actual NHS people enjoy it then great. Let's give them some loving money now though yeah?

Making a mass public gesture of support is a good start for that though, you can really make a person feel lovely if you can pin them down on showing support for something but not being willing to help in any way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

stev posted:

Let's not go crazy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Goldskull posted:

Are you saying I'm tax evading? That's economic advice from my accountant that pretty much everyone in the same boat follows, so that the other ~£4k is in there towards guess what? Corporation Tax on what my business pulls in and dividend tax that's increased a fuckload in the last few years.
If that's not what your saying, cool. If it is, shut the gently caress up if you don't know what you're talking about.

its tax avoidance, not evasion, and thats basically what tax accountants do yeah.
its legal but is it moral thats a question?
not paying tax is like stealing the second helicopter out from under the queens christmas tree

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I reckon I was probably the loudest clapper on my street.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The clapping was nice but then half of the people clapping will be off out tomorrow on some meaningless task claiming 'it is essential' to their mental health.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

learnincurve posted:

I have no idea what you are raking about If this is Justin from Something special then I will end you in parent or special need’s child. The man is an Saint and an National Treasure.

Thank you for getting this response in as I'm too many pages behind to do so. He's a drat good clown and all kids could benefit from learning some Makaton.

Also special shoutout to Steve Kynman (Robert the Robot on Justin's House) who's a really talented performer but rarely gets to show it. The episode where Justin loses his voice is top work.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

See what happens when you force the Irish to shut the pubs? Second invention in a week.

https://twitter.com/Akara_Robotics/status/1239986199617507328

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-yQ4s6IBec

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If this goes on long enough and we don't cause a famine, does that not risk exposing just how little overall labour is required to uphold a bare minimum standard of living?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

learnincurve posted:

I think anyone who works for the NHS would say that they would take a person hiding and not spreading the virus over clapping any day.

Well I am staying in, at least there is that.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Jose posted:

Im going to Tesco for a few things anyone need anything?

Can you get me 10 L&B and some skins?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Want there some urban legend that he also stopped some Americans from attacking a Russian airbase during Kosovo?

I think the story goes that he was the commander of a unit that were told to take an airfield, but the Russians had already taken it and he refused to attack them or something. It's sometimes hyped up as "the time James Blunt prevented world war 3", but probably a myth as you say.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Chas McGill posted:

This isn't a thing. Folk will get paid at different times depending on their company etc.

Alright fair enough but every single "pay weekend" is also loads busier so whatever. Confirmation bias?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Millennials are going to be like “what if we just *don’t” pay back the massive national debt we accumulated and just sit on our arses? What are they going to do about it, invade?”

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
lmao

https://twitter.com/alhan/status/1243274374045667330?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Goldskull posted:

oh cool everyone does it, that makes it OK then

at a time when the NHS is under more stress than it's ever been maybe you should reconsider your and your accountant's position that funding public services is something that only other people should be doing

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 26, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The clapping was nice but then half of the people clapping will be off out tomorrow on some meaningless task claiming 'it is essential' to their mental health.

Let them have their pointless gestures if it makes them feel better, mental health is important, I mean, today's my fiftienth day in lockdown and I want nothing more than to stab someone with a frozen turd. I love my familiy but goddamn sometimes cohabitation is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I made scones. I used UHT milk, as there’s no way I’m using my precious fresh milk. They all got eaten. I’m going to make cheese ones tomorrow.