Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Swap the milk for egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

while i did appreciate exiting the shower to applause from around the neighbourhood (as usual) can't help but feeling:

hemale in pain posted:

e: i guess it's easier shouting for the nhs than it is voting for a government which doesn't cut their budget

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder if the Baileys factory is considered essential?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Hilariously, this has now morphed into "we didn't get the email" once they've been criticised enough about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Camrath posted:

My cool cats don’t know wtf is happening.

why do you have a lion under your bed?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Maybe I’ve mellowed but this guy scamming a grand a month or whatever off of the taxman PALES INTO loving INSIGNIFICANCE COMPARED TO JRM SHORTING THE POUND AND AMAZON/A HIGH STREET’S WORTH OF YANK COFFEE SHOPS NOT PAYING TAX

GETTING YOU RAT ON YOUR NEIGHBOUR IS WHAT TORIES DO TO FEED “WE DONT WANT ANYONE TO GET SOMETHING THEY ARE NOT ENTITLED TO HERE YOU GO EVERYONE IT’S UNIVERSAL CREDIT TIME!”

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Swap the milk for egg.

Also had two eggs in the mix.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

Maybe I’ve mellowed but this guy scamming a grand a month or whatever off of the taxman PALES INTO loving INSIGNIFICANCE COMPARED TO JRM SHORTING THE POUND AND AMAZON/A HIGH STREET’S WORTH OF YANK COFFEE SHOPS NOT PAYING TAX

GETTING YOU RAT ON YOUR NEIGHBOUR IS WHAT TORIES DO TO FEED “WE DONT WANT ANYONE TO GET SOMETHING THEY ARE NOT ENTITLED TO HERE YOU GO EVERYONE IT’S UNIVERSAL CREDIT TIME!”

I think I agree with this but I also don't know what it is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

learnincurve posted:

Have you been drinking?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

So we missed out on an additional 5,000 ventilators because the Tories dragged their feet on giving the ok on the order. I'm sure it's fine though, not like there's any emergency pandemic going around they could have been used for:

https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2020/03/24/nantwich-firm-blasts-government-over-delay-after-offering-5000-ventilators/

quote:

A Nantwich firm which helped source thousands of critical ventilators for COVID-19 patients in the UK, hit out at the Government after it delayed on the deal too long and lost them.

Award-winning company Direct Access helped source 5,000 life-saving ventilators and millions of COVID19 test kits through its UAE partner Topland.

Their work helped give them access to suppliers/manufacturers throughout the world such as Dubai-based Topland Trading.

Seven days ago, Direct Access boss Steven Mifsud contacted the Dept of Health with the offer of 5,000 new ventilators. This was followed two days later with a potential 50 million self-test COVID-19 kits.

He said Crewe & Nantwich MP Kieran Mullan also helped to communicate the offer to Sec of State for Health Matt Hancock’s office.

The firm registered on the “ventilator challenge” page on the The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) website.

But five days later, Health bosses still had not made a decision and the supplies were then snapped up by other customers.

Mr Mifsud said: “Time is a luxury that we as a nation do not have.

“This virus does not wait for anyone and every second costs lives.

“Look at Italy, Iran and China.

“The idea of getting existing British companies to learn how to manufacture ventilators is not the route forward, we do not have time.

“I am incredibly frustrated with the British Government and the current ‘manana’ attitude.

“The Prime Minister himself said there was a shortage and companies needed to gear up to meet demand.”

He said despite the communication, the only reply they received from DoH was a “thank you” and that “you are in our system”.

Andy Faulkner, the manager of Topland, said: “I quoted a country for one million thermometers with air freight and they confirmed the order the same day.

“Earlier this afternoon I had a meeting with venture capitalists and they closed a deal within hours.

“The delay and dithering of the British Government is absolutely astonishing.”

Mr Mifsud added: “From my personal standpoint, Direct Access is being kept alive due to our international contracts as the UK work has completely dried up.

“However, this is not important right now and this period can be likened to wartime. We can pick up the pieces later.

“It is my duty to try and help our Government and local MP as much as I can regardless of whether they are accepting or not.

“To his credit Dr Mullan MP has been very responsive. However it looks like things are bogged down in procedures and bureaucracy. This costs lives.”

He said they were told by the Department of Health that they have had “over 1,400 lines of requests and enquiries” and that this “will take time”.

“But on March 21 we were told the supplies had gone and it is now likely to be June or July at the earliest due to other countries taking the manufacturing slots.”

Yesterday (March 22), Direct Access and Topland managed to find 500 ventilators ready for immediate pick up from another source.

Mr Mifsud said he immediately contacted the Government Ventilator challenge body but just received an auto-responder 24 hours later.

Crewe and Nantwich MP Dr Mullan said: “The Dept of Health has received an enormous volume of enquiries and is inevitably going to respond to each one straight away.

“I want to thank Steven for his efforts and I am continuing to press for them to be looked at. I think the public will understand the enormous challenges we are facing.”

We have contacted Department of Health and are awaiting a comment.

But in a reply to Mr Mifsud seen by Nantwich News, a spokesperson said: “Cabinet Office have confirmed and apologised for being slow to respond to all offers made via the BEIS registration page, but this has been due to the huge amounts of offers they have received.

“The team are working hard to deal with the shortage of ventilators and are doing the best they can in matching relevant offers of support.

“They intend to reach out to companies to inform them if their offer has been accepted, and everyone who registered on the website should be contacted early this week, so please do be patient.

“The BEIS website will be updated to say that they will not be accepting any further offers.”

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 26, 2020

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Jedit posted:

Have you been drinking?

have you not?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

If this goes on long enough and we don't cause a famine, does that not risk exposing just how little overall labour is required to uphold a bare minimum standard of living?
yes which is why they're going to undo the lockdown before they should and make the situation worse. between visibility into key workers, excess production, and that public spending can easily increase to the benefit of all they're destroying a lot of their ideology

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Roller Coast Guard posted:

So we missed out on an additional 5,000 ventilators because the Tories dragged their feet on giving the ok on the order. I'm sure it's fine though, not like there's any emergency pandemic going around they could have been used for:

https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2020/03/24/nantwich-firm-blasts-government-over-delay-after-offering-5000-ventilators/

quote:

I am incredibly frustrated with the British Government and the current ‘manana’ attitude.
So are foreign accents banned in post-Brexit Britain or is a 'manana' what we're calling those bendy bananas now? :flaccid:

Also the Tories are murderers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

If this goes on long enough and we don't cause a famine, does that not risk exposing just how little overall labour is required to uphold a bare minimum standard of living?

Not really, no, because there's upholding in the short term and fending back entropy over the long term, as well as, you know, improving things, not to mention the massively interconnected nature of things.

It is a timely reminder to the cosseted middle class just how much their jobs don't loving matter, of course, but the lesson they're likely to take from that is almost certainly going to be "UBI and infinite leisure for us, continuing wage slavery for the little people".

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

oh cool everyone does it, that makes it OK then

at a time when the NHS is under more stress than it's ever been maybe you should reconsider your and your accountant's position that funding public services is something that only other people should be doing

The absolute loving state of you and Communist Thoughts. Did you not read the part where I said 'I don't pay that so I can afford to pay the bigger Tax bill from Corporation/Dividend Tax?' How much do you think I'm pulling a year?

We are the people who Freelance, we have no sick pay, no holiday pay, Health benefits: I have no work (like the last month) I have to sit at home applying everywhere, and all the rest. I still put my NI in & I probably paid more tax than you did last year so don't ever come at me with this 'think about the NHS' bullshit. I'm not your enemy here, it's all those offshore corporations that pay dick all tax that are. gently caress you.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Julio Cruz posted:

oh cool everyone does it, that makes it OK then

at a time when the NHS is under more stress than it's ever been maybe you should reconsider your and your accountant's position that funding public services is something that only other people should be doing

Oh good, this bullshit again. The actual tax implications of working through a limited company are minimal, and played up to set people at each others throats like this.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I can't give a gently caress about someone who probably isn't buying a private dinghy let alone a yacht skirting the edges of the tax code. Let's murder tax the rich until they aren't rich and then once there's nobody left making 500x or even 20x the average annual salary maybe we can worry about plumbers working cash in hand. But probably not tbh, because the NHS isn't underfunded because of tax avoidance (or even evasion), it's underfunded because of the choice made by a series of governments to do so. The UK has plenty of money and could easily afford to fund public services. None of it is Goldskull's fault.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

RockyB posted:

Oh good, this bullshit again. The actual tax implications of working through a limited company are minimal, and played up to set people at each others throats like this.

I know nothing about this, so, genuinely, what are the reasons to do/not do it this way?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jedit posted:

Have you been drinking?

Yup Liquid anger at the way capitalism has trained people to bootlick the rich and pretty who hoard all the money and resources, and act all petty and vindictive towards a neighbour who might have a little bit more than them.

Also Morrisons gin with orange and rhubarb liquor which tastes oddly like the cough medicine the doctor gave you as a child in the 1980s.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
although it will be very very funny watching the white van right wingers utterly lose their poo poo on twitter when they read the sun in the morning and realise what’s just happened to them.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

If you do the 'standard' small business salary and dividends, then the dividends come out of profits which incur 20% tax before(that's the Corporation tax part). It is a small amount of NI that is missed, certainly not £1000s unless you are a consultant with £1000+ a day fees. Missed NI also screws you long term for pension/benefits so it's probably not the best plan for what amounts to a few hundred pounds over a year.

It used to be a big difference 15 years or so ago when Gordon Brown changed it so the tax for small companies was only 10%, but the Tories prefer only companies that make over 10 million profit a year (and donate to them) get to pay less tax, and so they changed it to 20%. The new dividend tax also makes it even less difference, as you now get to pay an extra 5% on top, which is almost the same as the NI that you would pay, but again without the pension/unemployment credit.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Goldskull posted:

The absolute loving state of you and Communist Thoughts. Did you not read the part where I said 'I don't pay that so I can afford to pay the bigger Tax bill from Corporation/Dividend Tax?' How much do you think I'm pulling a year?

If you paid yourself a larger salary and smaller dividend, that would magically reduce both your corporation tax bill and dividend tax bill. :unsmith:

But yeah, it's much less tax beneficial than it used to be back in the day, so I'm inclined to agree that there are many more deserving targets in the world today.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Goldskull posted:

How much do you think I'm pulling a year?

Goldskull posted:

I probably paid more tax than you did last year

getting some real loving mixed messages up in here

and no, just because other people are doing it worse does not in fact mean that you doing it is OK

you can't decide you're going to exploit the gently caress out of the system and then cry foul the immediate second you're not benefiting like you once were

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

although it will be very very funny watching the white van right wingers utterly lose their poo poo on twitter when they read the sun in the morning and realise what’s just happened to them.

Surely the press will be all ARE PRINCE being sick GOD LUV IM and being a total DOFF CAP gent about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

So are foreign accents banned in post-Brexit Britain or is a 'manana' what we're calling those bendy bananas now? :flaccid:

Since Brexit those fancy "n"'s are strictly forbidden

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Poppy buming it is then.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Niric posted:

I know nothing about this, so, genuinely, what are the reasons to do/not do it this way?

This is a reasonable summary:

https://www.contractorcalculator.co.uk/salary_versus_dividends_limited_companies_advice.aspx

It was the only link I could find with a handy table comparing with and without.

Note: this is an old article containing old world numbers. The dividend tax free allowance is down to £2k now, so if memory serves the difference is in the hundreds rather than the thousands for the illustrative income in this article.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

and no, just because other people are doing it worse does not in fact mean that you doing it is OK

you can't decide you're going to exploit the gently caress out of the system and then cry foul the immediate second you're not benefiting like you once were

It's not mixed messaging you're just a nasty person who wants to bully someone else struggling much the same as you are

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Yup Liquid anger at the way capitalism has trained people to bootlick the rich and pretty who hoard all the money and resources, and act all petty and vindictive towards a neighbour who might have a little bit more than them.

Must have missed these posts - link?

learnincurve posted:

.. scamming a grand a month or whatever off of the taxman PALES INTO loving INSIGNIFICANCE COMPARED TO JRM SHORTING THE POUND AND AMAZON/A HIGH STREET’S WORTH OF YANK COFFEE SHOPS NOT PAYING TAX
That bolded bit - twice what I manage to live off, so pretty sanguine about thinking it's poo poo, less poo poo than amazon/starbucks/etc. sure but still poo poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol lockdown and it's all gone off. No gently caress you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Since Brexit those fancy "n"'s are strictly forbidden
In that case I'm not getting any cues about how to pronounce that middle n so I'm just going to go with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thieve off the government and capital if you can get away with it, IMO, and if you'd die of old age before we got round to guillotining you assumin we were working from the top, that's fine.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Azza Bamboo posted:

A very dangerous thought my friend.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Prince John posted:

This is a reasonable summary:

https://www.contractorcalculator.co.uk/salary_versus_dividends_limited_companies_advice.aspx

It was the only link I could find with a handy table comparing with and without.

Note: this is an old article containing old world numbers. The dividend tax free allowance is down to £2k now, so if memory serves the difference is in the hundreds rather than the thousands for the illustrative income in this article.

Note it also details a higher rate tax payer for the comparison. The vast majority of people who do this (plumbers, tradesmen, small shop owners) wont make anything like that much, and also have variable monthly incomes (and expenditures - fixing a van can knock out your 'profit' for a couple of months) so a fixed salary is often impossible anyway, so you salary what you know you should be able to afford, and dividend any excess when you can.

For a lower rate tax payer, the difference always was small, the disadvantages are noticeable (sole tradesmen are unlikely to be making their own private pension contributions for example), so of course the Tories want to screw them over while writing loopholes for FTSE100 companies to walk through.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Apparently the state of the nation's haircuts is something we need to be aware of. Return of the bowl cut.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Niric posted:

Alright, half arsed recap because I've done this is far too much detail in this thread before.

Option 1: Pay everything as PAYE salary. No corporation tax. Employers and Employees national insurance.

So 20% tax up to the higher rate tax threshold (£45k or whatever it is now) + 13.8% combined national insurance, then 40% tax over the threshold. Let's call it 34%, then 53.8%.

Option 2: Pay minimal salary (normally just at the NI threshold so about £8k). Means you avoid national insurance and instead you first pay corporation tax, the dividend tax on whatever you take out.

So that's 19% corporation tax on everything, 7.5% dividend tax up to the higher rate threshold, then 32.5% afterwards. Which would be a 26.5% average burden, then 51.5%.

The figures change as you earn more or less and national insurance thresholds kick in, but generally it's 7.5% up to the higher rate threshold then 2% afterwards. If labour policies had gone through in December, Comrade Corbyn would actually have equalised it in all cases btw.

The counterbalance to this is that you don't get holiday, sick pay, pensions or stable work. As all the contractors who got fired on with a weeks notice recently would tell you.

The bigger advantage is that working through a limited company means you don't have to take everything at once, so if you earn £80k in one year you can take it as £40k a year over two. But the reason most freelance people work this way in the first place is because it's the only way companies will actually pay them (legal liability for sole traders etc).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I work for 35p an hour 24/7 and just got food vouchers from a special needs school.

The financial moral high ground is, and will forever remain, mine, and tbh I don’t give a rats rear end if a small one man band operation fixes his car out of the wrong bank account once in a while while the McDonald’s down the road from my house is given massive tax breaks to ruin any chance any local cafe would have.

zhar
May 3, 2019

thinking about it i don't think i have a problem with even amazon avoiding taxes (although i guess in that case they have a fiduciary duty to do so). taking a legal route to pay less tax provided by the taxman is not really "scamming the taxman". it's the taxmans prerogative to make sure he's collecting the tax he should not the person paying it. tax evasion is different ofc.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

You really didn't read a word I said did you? Quote from my accountant: "If you do that (going underneath the tax threshold of what, £12k?) you can pay yourself a directors bonus". I've never done that in 5 years of being a limited company, because I needed that money to either live, or pay the Tax I know is coming at end of year. Stop acting like I'm the enemy here and I'm 'exploiting the system', I'm getting shafted here because Sunak and his army of Tory oval office accountants know this so they can linit the payout. I go homeless in 2 months without a rent holiday/help that was promised off this 'government' because with IR35 (that's now postponed for a year whoopie loving doo) my trade has been dead since Feb. Or are you one of those twitter clowns that think self-employed translates as 'builders who do cash in hand and pay people from Poland and it's not fair on me the taxpayer'?

Or tell me if you think you can live on ~£94 a week given I've been paying tax for 27 years now? gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

zhar posted:

thinking about it i don't think i have a problem with even amazon avoiding taxes (although i guess in that case they have a fiduciary duty to do so). taking a legal route to pay less tax provided by the taxman is not really "scamming the taxman". it's the taxmans prerogative to make sure he's collecting the tax he should not the person paying it. tax evasion is different ofc.

There is a distinction between Amazon's tax avoidance and the hypothetical plucky contractor though. The latter, as you say, is taking advantage of the system and benefits as set out by a government and taxed by a single authority. The government have the ability to close the loopholes if they see fit, and there's a reasonable argument that they're happy with the state of affairs if they don't do this after many years of grumbling about it. It's not that objectionable and is easily remedied if the government has a mind to do so.

Amazon will quite happily take advantages of loopholes that fall between jurisdictions e.g. where interest paid is tax deductible in one state yet interest received is not taxable in another. It gives them a huge competitive advantage compared to businesses that don't operate at sufficient scale internationally, so there's a huge public interest argument for cracking down on that poo poo hard. The idea of the taxman's prerogative doesn't really fit with this kind of model because they're essentially powerless without international cooperation.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 26, 2020