Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Woofer posted:

Maybe I’m a spiritual hippy but it wouldn’t take much to convince me that nature and evolution are trying to rid the planet of humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcmnowjfrQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

This is where you're wrong. The DNC can choose to run literally anyone else. Even if he gets the majority of primary votes, which he hasn't even reached at this point.

And yeah, my conscience will be perfectly fine for not voting for a rapist (D).

What? Like, you're right that the primary isn't technically over yet, but Tom Perez can't unilaterally decide Biden can't be the nominee and shove John Delaney onto the convention stage. If Biden gets a majority of the delegates, convention rules stipulate those delegates must vote for Biden to be the nominee—and (unless there's a rule I can't find), once he's the nominee they're stuck with him until he dies or drops out. And even if he does drop, the DNC can't just "choose" to run someone else—chances are it'll go to a contested convention, with every wing of the party striking deals and fighting like hell to put their candidate on the top of the ticket, with the DNC having relatively little control over the process.

e: this is very much the same problem the RNC had with Trump back in 2016, when it looked like he was headed for a historic loss instead of an extremely narrow EC win.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

brains posted:

i understand the conditions of the last election, and i'm hardly acting on the assumption that trump's reelection is a certainty. but as you said, right now it's the dem's race to lose, just as 2016 was, and a lot of the reason this sentiment about trump's chances exists around here is because people remember 2016 vividly when we were in this same situation. this attitude you keep seeing is not stemming from a dislike of the current candidate, it's a cold hard reminder of how people consistently underestimated trump.

the democratic campaign doesn't happen in a vacuum. don't think for a second the right wing media isn't gearing up for a 24/7 character assassination campaign against the dem frontrunner, just like they did for hillary. they were caught red-loving-handed laying the groundwork for it last year. how do you think hilary ended up being so historically unpopular in the first place? it certainly wasn't a sole result of her personal actions, or even her campaign's absurd mismanagement. the point is, the margin is so small (due to structural problems) that the potential for a repeat of 2016 does exist, and that's where the pessimism comes from.

The character assassination against Clinton didn't start in the General in 2016. It was literally 25 years old at that point. Do you not remember Benghazi being a thing for like five years prior to the election? I have no doubts that the RWM spin machine is going to go full bore (like they haven't already but who knows what depths they will crawl to this time) against Biden, but I think people really underestimate just how unlikable Clinton was for large segments of the population and that while Biden is certainly no stranger to it, I don't think it's a stretch to say the vitriol against Clinton was much more severe and had been a thing much longer than anything Biden's faced as of yet. I also think that Comey's letter at the end of October is ultimately what torpedoed her campaign (and there are plenty of reasons why it went to poo poo, but I think that was certainly the kill shot). Bernie's under performance also kind of points out just how unlikable Clinton was for a lot of people. Even when it was just Biden and Sanders (looking at MI for example), Sanders didn't pull nearly as many votes as he did when he was running against Clinton. I don't think that's a coincidence either. I'm not saying people didn't genuinely like Bernie, but I think there was a good chunk of voters who just didn't like Clinton and were willing to vote for anyone other than her. Misogyny in this country is a hell of a drug.

But you are right, the possibility of a repeat of 2016 (Trump winning because Biden becomes super unlikable) is certainly within the realm of possibility. I just don't think it's as likely as people think it is. Trump no longer has the luxury of being a mystery as to how exactly he'll govern. He's still got his core 30% support, that isn't going anywhere, but if unemployment keeps going the way it's going among other things, he's really got his work cut out for him. It's not a slam dunk for him or Biden at this point. As Ace put it, there's still seven months till the election. A lot can change between now and then.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Woofer posted:

Maybe I’m a spiritual hippy but it wouldn’t take much to convince me that nature and evolution are trying to rid the planet of humans.

I think I read it here but this has some Old Testament G-man vibes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What? Like, you're right that the primary isn't technically over yet, but Tom Perez can't unilaterally decide Biden can't be the nominee and shove John Delaney onto the convention stage. If Biden gets a majority of the delegates, convention rules stipulate those delegates must vote for Biden to be the nominee—and (unless there's a rule I can't find), once he's the nominee they're stuck with him until he dies or drops out. And even if he does drop, the DNC can't just "choose" to run someone else—chances are it'll go to a contested convention, with every wing of the party striking deals and fighting like hell to put their candidate on the top of the ticket, with the DNC having relatively little control over the process.

e: this is very much the same problem the RNC had with Trump back in 2016, when it looked like he was headed for a historic loss instead of an extremely narrow EC win.

So what, if their leading candidate is an accused rapist, there's nothing they can do? They have no choice but to nominate him? That seems extremely stupid.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lol if you think there's gonna be an election.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

So what, if their leading candidate is an accused rapist, there's nothing they can do? They have no choice but to nominate him? That seems extremely stupid.

Delegates to the convention are compelled to vote for the candidate they were selected to represent, and a majority gets the nomination... so yeah. The focus of the system is to ensure that the voters choose the candidate—And this is generally a good thing, as you, someone who has expressed concern many times about DNC interference in the process, should recognize.

Of course, that doesn't mean there's nothing they can do. Party officials can fight like hell to force Biden to step down, and if faced with an ultimatum Biden could probably be convinced to give it up for the good of the party. But if he's stubborn, then yeah, there's not a lot the DNC can do (Unless there's some bylaw I'm not aware of).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alright then, we gotta make some noise about this. This is why it's so important to be vocal about not wanting to vote for a lovely candidate, rather than the "vote blue no matter who"/"if you don't vote for Biden you vote for Trump" bullshit.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
This is like a 15 "what if," chain

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The entire argument for Joe Biden is restoring decency and competence to the White House. News about how he isn't decent and isn't competent will hurt him tremendously. Maybe we're going into a new great depression so he'll still be elected anyway. In which case, he'll be another awful, mentally declining and corrupt president for our declining and corrupt country, but probably less of those things than Trump.

Getting pretty hard to feel there's any way out for this country. I think anyone who has kids who isn't trying to emigrate is out of their mind.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the other side of the globe and following up last year's big sex trafficking scandal that took down a member of one of the biggest kpop boy bands, more proof South Korea is one of the most misogynist developed nations!

https://twitter.com/xfreischutz/status/1241540055124115463

We really do deserve COVID

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1243219664450314240?s=21

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eej posted:

We really do deserve COVID

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Best Friends posted:

The entire argument for Joe Biden is restoring decency and competence to the White House.

A great number of Democrats desperately want to put the mask back on

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mom dodged getting furloughed because of experience and performance, so that's nice. The people who didn't will still get paid but after next week it starts coming out of their PTO.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AaronMehta/status/1243191631127416833?s=20

Greece holding up NATO membership for North Macedonia/FYROM was always baffling from the outside

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronMehta/status/1243191631127416833?s=20

Greece holding up NATO membership for North Macedonia/FYROM was always baffling from the outside

Alexander the Great was from ancient Macedonia therefore some damned Yugoslavs can't call themselves Macedonia. That's literally it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Greeks are a bunch of bitchy tax cheats.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

God bless em

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah but they invented gyros so all is forgiven

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
You mean kebab? :troll:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Finally get their own nation state after 2,100 years of continuous occupation and can't even be assed to pay for it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Woodchip posted:

You mean kebab? :troll:

Constantinople must be liberated :byzantium:

brains
May 12, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

The character assassination against Clinton didn't start in the General in 2016. It was literally 25 years old at that point. Do you not remember Benghazi being a thing for like five years prior to the election? I have no doubts that the RWM spin machine is going to go full bore (like they haven't already but who knows what depths they will crawl to this time) against Biden, but I think people really underestimate just how unlikable Clinton was for large segments of the population and that while Biden is certainly no stranger to it, I don't think it's a stretch to say the vitriol against Clinton was much more severe and had been a thing much longer than anything Biden's faced as of yet. I also think that Comey's letter at the end of October is ultimately what torpedoed her campaign (and there are plenty of reasons why it went to poo poo, but I think that was certainly the kill shot). Bernie's under performance also kind of points out just how unlikable Clinton was for a lot of people. Even when it was just Biden and Sanders (looking at MI for example), Sanders didn't pull nearly as many votes as he did when he was running against Clinton. I don't think that's a coincidence either. I'm not saying people didn't genuinely like Bernie, but I think there was a good chunk of voters who just didn't like Clinton and were willing to vote for anyone other than her. Misogyny in this country is a hell of a drug.

But you are right, the possibility of a repeat of 2016 (Trump winning because Biden becomes super unlikable) is certainly within the realm of possibility. I just don't think it's as likely as people think it is. Trump no longer has the luxury of being a mystery as to how exactly he'll govern. He's still got his core 30% support, that isn't going anywhere, but if unemployment keeps going the way it's going among other things, he's really got his work cut out for him. It's not a slam dunk for him or Biden at this point. As Ace put it, there's still seven months till the election. A lot can change between now and then.

my point about clinton was that benghazi was ultimately just an example of groundwork for the election smear campaign to tank her popularity, exactly like they tried to get started last summer with biden, just over a much longer timescale. with clinton, it was the playbook being written; with biden, it was the playbook in action. i largely agree with your assessment of bernie- he's definitively shown he can't put up numbers unless there is a tremendously unpopular candidate across from him. i also agree that the well of misogyny around the country was a little too easily tapped by the outrage machine in the run-up to 2016, which sucks because I'm actually a Warren fan but i think the same thing would have been turned on her had she won the primary.

really all i want to see out of the DNC and (likely) the biden campaign is that they actually loving learn from 2016, don't just assume D turnout, and don't underestimate the opposition. that's asking a lot in an environment like this, though, and trump is so unstable that 7 months is a pretty scary-long amount of time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/KiwiEV/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

That last filter knows all about five minute university.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO8x8eoU3L4

Steezo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 26, 2020

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
It's a beautiful spring day in the mid-Atlantic. The local parks, school ball fields and playgrounds, as well as neighborhood trails are packed with people and their kids.

Wait.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/TerminalLance/status/1243311521993617408

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

brains posted:

really all i want to see out of the DNC and (likely) the biden campaign is that they actually loving learn from 2016, don't just assume D turnout, and don't underestimate the opposition. that's asking a lot in an environment like this, though, and trump is so unstable that 7 months is a pretty scary-long amount of time.

I completely agree with you here.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
You know what's really frustrating?
That you can't get a Coronavirus test unless you are on your loving death bed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's because unless you're rich, you don't matter.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

bengy81 posted:

You know what's really frustrating?
That you can't get a Coronavirus test unless you are an asymptomatic basketball player.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

This is the military in one picture. It's always amazing how used up and low rent everything feels even with all the money being dumped into the organization.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
My brother is in NYC, he had a 102 fever, cough, trouble breathing, and body pains about 10 days ago. He called the doctor and they told him to self quarantine but have never tested him. He didn’t meet the criteria since he hadn’t left the country or knew someone who had already tested positive.

They told him since he’s in his 40s and healthy that it’s best he just ride it out at home and to call it condition gets worse and not to come in until he spoke to a doctor.

He’s single and lives alone. I’m his closest relative in NC. I’ve been checking on him every day because I’m not sure anyone would know if he deteriorated quickly. Luckily he’s on the other side of it now and hasn’t had a fever for 48 hours.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What does the testing do besides being able to tell people around you "Buckle up buckeroos"? There's no cure and nothin' to mitigate it beyond the standard stuff right(fluids/flu meds/etc)?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Defenestrategy posted:

What does the testing do besides being able to tell people around you "Buckle up buckeroos"? There's no cure and nothin' to mitigate it beyond the standard stuff right(fluids/flu meds/etc)?

In a functioning society it aids in treatment with stuff like not giving antibiotics to a virus, expected progress of symptoms etc. It is also how South Korea has cut stuff down, the only way that currently works; test, track, isolate.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah until we get enough tests it's nearly impossible to contain especially with a fairly high asymptomatic rate.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm a person in an essential function job, and 80 % of my customers are hospitals or big pharma. My wife is showing "minor" symptoms, like the kind that could be any number of viruses including COVID-19. She hasn't really left the house in the last two weeks, however, due to my job I've been in and out of a dozen different facilities in three states, so IF she has it, she probably got it from me. It would be nice to know if either of us have it, and that I'm just asymptomatic, or any combination of things.

Mostly I'm freaking out at the possibility that I've potentially exposed a bunch of vulnerable people to this stupid loving virus, but I can't be sure one way or the other.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Luckily he’s on the other side of it now and hasn’t had a fever for 48 hours.

This is good to hear. Good for him. Good for you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

It would be nice to not have to hole up away from everyone for two weeks every time you get flu symptoms.