Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SimonCat posted:

This is the military in one picture. It's always amazing how used up and low rent everything feels even with all the money being dumped into the organization.

It was raining here yesterday, so I got to see $200,000,000 aircraft with buckets scattered around them because NAVFAC can't fix a loving leaky hangar roof. I'm sure it was worth it to fund another six inches of border wall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Curiously enough that's exactly the figure Donnie would pay to have six inches

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

brains posted:

really all i want to see out of the DNC and (likely) the biden campaign is that they actually loving learn from 2016, don't just assume D turnout, and don't underestimate the opposition. that's asking a lot in an environment like this, though, and trump is so unstable that 7 months is a pretty scary-long amount of time.

At the end of the day, Biden really will be a return to the Bill Clinton era, credible rape allegations and all.

People, even 'good' people, don't much care about tossing women under the bus in the name of the greater good. Women have pretty much had to do it their entire lives, balancing the lesser evils using a variety of really back-breaking metrics. For a lot of white women, it comes down to a pretty nasty form of self-preservation triage, re: stay racist/misogynist and get the protections afforded to them by being white and christian (not that this is in any way an excuse for this), or step outside of that and be awarded with a pretty fat heap of scorn. And white women are technically the ones at the top of the heap, in terms of privilege and rights afforded, so the triage gets more grim as intersectionality sets in.

Fact of the matter is, for a lot of women of reproductive age, Dems are pretty much their only hope for autonomy, when it comes right down to it. If that means you have to hold your nose and vote for a rapist-- well, it won't be the first time you've had to throw your support behind someone you know is goddamn awful. Nearly every man in your life has said or done something questionable, and most of them have stood up for a friend that did something really loving bad before finally admitting that oh, maybe that was stupid. 'What's the sliding scale here?' is a question you have to ask yourself before moving forward, either personally, professionally, or politically, because it's all coming down to poo poo one way or another, and unless you feel like living as a hermit, you're going to have to make compromises eventually.

I think he should suspend his campaign. I don't think he will, but he absolutely should. Past that, I don't know how this is going to shake out. I was already on shaky ground with Biden. I don't know if I can make myself vote for Yet Another Sex Pest, but I have to flip that loving coin every time I vote for a man that's been in power for 10+ years already. Like, the chances he's done something lovely to a subordinate are pretty loving high.

TLDR I'm tired of voting for men, I'm tired of voting for white people, it's always loving something.

EDIT: hah...

https://twitter.com/damemagazine/status/1243354166413721600

https://twitter.com/damemagazine/status/1243354600628879361

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 27, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ holy poo poo, those are both huge news. Sorry for bigfooting haphazardly right after it.

I'll pull for the D, but the only old white man I'm comfortable voting for is Bernie.

I mean, I'll vote Bigfoot right now if he/she/xe would just come out of the woods, claim their Hide 'n Seek championship title, and lay out policies that showed "eating rich good" and "privatized health care bad" while signaling the aliens to come purge us all and restart the simulation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Old Boot posted:

Fact of the matter is, for a lot of women of reproductive age, Dems are pretty much their only hope for autonomy, when it comes right down to it. If that means you have to hold your nose and vote for a rapist-- well, it won't be the first time you've had to throw your support behind someone you know is goddamn awful. Nearly every man in your life has said or done something questionable, and most of them have stood up for a friend that did something really loving bad before finally admitting that oh, maybe that was stupid. 'What's the sliding scale here?' is a question you have to ask yourself before moving forward, either personally, professionally, or politically, because it's all coming down to poo poo one way or another, and unless you feel like living as a hermit, you're going to have to make compromises eventually.

It cannot be emphasized enough that Biden is anti abortion. There is literally no reason to vote for him.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hobbesmaster posted:

There is literally no reason to vote for him.

He doesn't stare at the sun.

Edit

And Biden pledged to protect a womans right to choose. Whether you believe him or not is up to you, but trying to paint him as identical to Trump is farcical.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 27, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Biden is also anti-legalizing weed. You know, if you needed yet another reason.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

laughably minor compared to the entire rest of the list but biden also calls game developers lovely creeps making murder simulators as recently as checks notes 2020

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

It cannot be emphasized enough that Biden is anti abortion. There is literally no reason to vote for him.

Even he's not dumb enough to throw out Roe v. Wade.

He's not at all pro-choice in any credible sense, but compared to the stacked court we have, uh. IDK, man.

But this is pretty much exactly what I mean about a really lovely game of triage. :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Old Boot posted:

Even he's not dumb enough to throw out Roe v. Wade.

This is problematic because the dog whistle conservative judges use is that they "respect the precedent" of Roe v. Wade. Hes also campaigned for anti abortion candidates like Republican house member Fred Upton.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hobbesmaster posted:

This is problematic because the dog whistle conservative judges use is that they "respect the precedent" of Roe v. Wade. Hes also campaigned for anti abortion candidates like Republican house member Fred Upton.

Bernie endorsed an anti-choice democrat.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

I feel like you missed the key sentiments in there re: 'I think he should suspend his campaign and I've been shaky on him anyway' and maybe also the TLDR, I don't know who you're arguing with.

Meanwhile, EPA and Affirmative Action, how about that huh.

And also this:
https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1243352869010649089

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It's kind of ridiculous when "don't vote for the sundowning Boomer who is on the wrong side of history when it comes to race, sexual assault, and bodily autonomy" isn't advice you can follow in the 2020 election.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

It's kind of ridiculous when "don't vote for the sundowning Boomer who is on the wrong side of history when it comes to race, sexual assault, and bodily autonomy" isn't advice you can follow in the 2020 election.

:smith:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

McNally posted:

Maybe I'll be dead from drowning in my own ripped up lung tissue before it comes to that idk :rip:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Chichevache posted:

Bernie endorsed an anti-choice democrat.

Wasn't this a mayoral candidate? Like, how much pull does the mayor of Omaha really have?

I mean, worst case scenario you go across the river to Council Bluffs. (CB really is the worst in most cases).

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 27, 2020

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/rachel/status/1243252499764645889

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my senior year started with 9/11 so i kinda get it

bengy81
May 8, 2010

That mug is pretty cringe inducing, and I think I would die inside if somebody gave me that when I was a senior.

Feel bad for the kids though. My 11 year old is pretty bummed out cuz she is missing out on all the dumb fun things they do at the end of 5th grade.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
That mug's pretty yikes.

More on the EPA thing, admin still managing to make Captain Planet look thoughtful and reserved:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1243347072100663296

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

SimonCat posted:

Wasn't this a mayoral candidate? Like, how much pull does the mayor of Omaha really have?

I mean, worst case scenario you go across the river to Council Bluffs. (CB really is the worst in most cases).

So purity for thee, but not for me. Got it.

Seriously, you can say that Bernie supporting an anti-choice candidate is a poo poo move without having to goalpost it somehow. Like, I'm still voting for him come primary time but that doesn't make him endorsing an antichoice candidate not lovely.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SimonCat posted:

Mayor of Omaha one day, Nebraska senator the next. If you think those policies are dangerous and bad then you shouldnt be forgiving of them at any level of politics. Unless you just want to use it as a cudgel against the opponents of your chosen candidate.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's lovely that bernie endorsed anyone anti-choice no matter the reasons but these scales don't loving balance against the problem/benefit profile of biden

EDIT: bernie's also way more likely to actually argue the point if you were to bring it up to him while biden would just grab you by the loving lapels like "don't talk nonsense, jack" and stick his finger in your nose

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Old Boot posted:

That mug's pretty yikes.

More on the EPA thing, admin still managing to make Captain Planet look thoughtful and reserved:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1243347072100663296

This is horrific and I will vote for anyone going against this administration.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Can we agree there's a difference between supporting an anti-choice Democrat in a general election against a Republican, which is what Bernie did, and supporting a Republican in a general election against a Democrat, which is what Biden did?

Or is nuance too difficult for some of you and "THING BAD THUS ALL BAD" is your go-to drum to beat?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

McNally posted:

:smug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

McNally posted:

Or is nuance too difficult for some of you

Nail, head

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LingcodKilla posted:

Maybe we can convince Bigfoot to add the King of the crab people to the ticket as his VP pick.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also there is a contingent of police meeting the ferries and questioning everyone coming and going from the island

I'm pleased to see how seriously this is being taken

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

My brother is in NYC, he had a 102 fever, cough, trouble breathing, and body pains about 10 days ago. He called the doctor and they told him to self quarantine but have never tested him. He didn’t meet the criteria since he hadn’t left the country or knew someone who had already tested positive.

They told him since he’s in his 40s and healthy that it’s best he just ride it out at home and to call it condition gets worse and not to come in until he spoke to a doctor.

He’s single and lives alone. I’m his closest relative in NC. I’ve been checking on him every day because I’m not sure anyone would know if he deteriorated quickly. Luckily he’s on the other side of it now and hasn’t had a fever for 48 hours.

Hey, I’m also in NYC. Just sent you a PM

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I don't think anyone's arguing that there isn't a difference. But caring about a thing to score points is annoying.

It's like people suddenly caring about indigenous rights when, previously, there was complete radio silence, and the debate about it within Native circles was not nearly as cut and dry as people on SA were pretending it was.

Anyway, Canada locking down:
https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1243283431217340416

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

McNally posted:

Can we agree there's a difference between supporting an anti-choice Democrat in a general election against a Republican, which is what Bernie did

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER W...

Wait, this is about Bernie? Hold on, let me check my notes, got to be some reason I'm mad at the guy who wants poor people to not die

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
lol, the leader of the center-left coalition against Netanyahu just betrayed everything he campaigned on by spurning his coalition partners and allying with Bibi as a subordinate, effectively ensuring the roots of Bibi's increasingly racist and anti-democratic regime will grow ever deeper.

Looking forward to the Dems deciding to emulate this behavior and having Biden drop out on the day of the election to join the Trump unity ticket as VP, citing the pandemic and recession as requiring us all to "come together". That's utterly insane and impossible, but, every year since, 2016 things have gone further and further off the rails, so who the gently caress knows anymore.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Almost everyone is anti-abortion, even the people getting them are typically not thrilled by the situation. The question is what are they going to do to stop people from getting abortions, and Trump has nominated dozens of judges that will support blocking abortions.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Best Friends posted:

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER W...

Wait, this is about Bernie? Hold on, let me check my notes, got to be some reason I'm mad at the guy who wants poor people to not die

Ah, this must be that nuance people were talking about.

EDIT: Yeah so Biden's voting record isn't great on that front, either, IIRC. It would still be worlds ahead of what a Trump-appointed SCOTUS would pull, but it's hilariously far from the ideal.

That said, centrist judges have not at all surprisingly proven more flexible than far right, so I'm not really as terrified of centrist appointees as I am about the ones from the Federalist Society. No federal $$ for abortions is a gently caress all lot different than 'let's go back to coathangers, that worked out well, didn't it.'

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 27, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Almost everyone is anti-abortion, even the people getting them are typically not thrilled by the situation. The question is what are they going to do to stop people from getting abortions, and Trump has nominated dozens of judges that will support blocking abortions.

This is an incredibly disingenuous take

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fine, substitute “anti choice” just don’t use pro life.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/120620010/auckland-man-first-to-front-court-for-flouting-nationwide-coronavirus-lockdown

quote:

The first person charged with breaching the coronavirus nationwide lockdown has appeared in court. 

:stare: second day, they really are taking this seriously

quote:

The 31-year-old labourer from Manukau also faced charges of failing to stop for the police and driving while drunk or under the influence of drugs, having been convicted at least twice before.

Beadle has also been charged with stealing petrol and driving while drunk or on drugs on Monday.

Oh. :lol:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
^^^ well done that guy

Eej posted:

This is an incredibly disingenuous take

How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It was raining here yesterday, so I got to see $200,000,000 aircraft with buckets scattered around them because NAVFAC can't fix a loving leaky hangar roof. I'm sure it was worth it to fund another six inches of border wall though.

To be fair, I'm not sure NAVFAC could fix it properly anyway.

LingcodKilla posted:

No, but you see Biden is also bad, so we loop back to Trump.

This thread is a great insight into the way the left can't stop loving itself in the goddamned ear long enough to accomplish anything lasting.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 27, 2020