Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Oysters Autobio posted:

Thanks for the fantastic OP and guide.

My spouse and I just got a puppy within the span of a few days (after years of wanting to, and the last few months of serious planning) because both of us are working from home over the next 2-3 weeks because of coronavirus (in fact, one of us is fully off for the next 2 weeks). While the timing is great for the time/attention we can give her, we recently called the vet who could only book us for vaccinations at the earliest 2 weeks from now, on April 1st. Should we be concerned? Much like in the OP, I'm worried that I'm missing prime socialization time because we'll have to avoid outdoors and other dogs for a considerable while longer. We got her last night and she's 9 weeks old.

I never thought that I would say this but I also realize I'm completely overwhelmed with this, and I don't know why. We're very prepared, have all the stuff we need, watched videos, read guides and such but everytime she's napping I'm incredibly anxious and wondering what we got ourselves into and if we can actually do this, and I feel terrible that I feel this way when I should be super excited. Does this go away at some point?

Finally, we've been crate training and potty training since we brought her in last night, and so far so good. However, I'm reading now that as part of crate training, she should be actually napping in her crate. She's been super anxious still, so we're not always sure when she'll fall asleep after playtime. Do we just wait until she falls asleep and pick her up and put her in the crate? Or is this contrary to not forcing her into the crate and trying to make it positive? Should we be trying to get ahead of it by after playtime, luring her into the crate with lots of treats and hopefully lull her to sleep?

Thanks for the help again, this guide is great.

9 weeks is super young and since she’s still not fully vaccinated she shouldn’t be socializing anyway. 2 weeks isn’t going to ruin her. Just relax and have fun with your pup. Since you aren’t working right now, you have a really great opportunity for bonding and early training with her right now that will do so much for her well being for the rest of her life. The first few months are hard but just be patient with her and stick with it; before you know it she’ll be all grown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Thanks for the support, day 2 and I'm already feeling more confident.

One other question we can't quite get is, for her leash we're doing the "embilical cord" (i.e. keeping her on leash outside the crate, tied to us). However, we bought a regular full-size leash. Problem is that we have the tightness of her collar be so two fingers can fit, but the heavy buckle/clip is so heavy it keeps rolling down below her neck and getting tangled underneath her.

Should we get a smaller leash for her while she's a puppy? Or is it better to get them used to the full-size leash?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I use a 4' leash and have always thought that 6' is too long personally. Not just for the tangle potential but also because generally I don't want my dog going after things that far away from me without my also moving.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Could you get a small harness for the pup?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Looking for some advice/tips on welcoming and training non-puppy new dogs.

A good friend of mine volunteers at a shelter here in San Diego that rescues dogs from across the border in TJ and they are in dire need with the pandemic right now, so with both of us working from home for the foreseeable future, we have taken in a dog to foster (and maybe forever, we'll see). He was neutered 8 days ago and they say judging by his teeth he's around 2-3 years old. He had some kind of GI issue resulting in diarrhea, which is slowly settling down. He's definitely a bit scared, but he's been pretty mellow since we brought him home this afternoon.

Picked up a crate and with the advice from the OP he took to it very quickly. Gave him some food (mixed in pumpkin paste which my SO was told helps the stomach issues?) but he's only nibbled a little.

I guess the main question is what modifications (if any) to the housetraining advice in the OP is appropriate for a dog this age? He's been out in the yard once since he got home and he pee'd a little but it looked like marking territory to me more than actual relief. Any other advice for rescues this age?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 20, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I don't have any advice but ohmygosh he's adorable!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

arn't beagles like bassets where they just find and don't kill their prey? Not that I'd trust that but you should be able to teach manners.

Hounds will be curious as long as there's something to investigate. Dunno if you can just use and old fashion pet gate to socialize/coexist? It took a few days for my hounds to not be terrified of my kittens.

Wilfred can now make it about 30 seconds in the same room as the rabbit, being held, before he begins to shake uncontrollably. Baying follows within seconds and it takes hours for the adrenaline to subside. This is progress, i guess.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So tomorrow marks 3 months since I rescued my second dog, a 5 year old Terrier mix.

My first dog came house broken, this one I'm still struggling with.

When I got her I was home for a week and a half she had very few problems. Then I had to go back to work and she started peeing and making GBS threads in the house every single day. Started crating her and it was going well until she learned how to break out of her crate. For a week she didn't really have any accidents, so I stopped crating her. Then she started going in the house again.

It took me a little while to figure out a solution to keep her in the crate, but I've finally found one... And now it's Corona Quarantine time. I've decided to continue crating her even though I'm home all day, but I have been taking them out during the day.

Either way, I'm really starting to get frustrated with this dog. Should I just continue on the course of crating her? I try to give her a lot of positive feedback when she goes outside, and she's clearly remorseful when I find her messes indoors but sure doesn't seem to be getting any better about it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've adopted 3 rescue dogs as adults. Here's my dog pee stories:

The first one had an accident or 2 in the first week but not really anything after. She did take a dump in the new house when we were moving in but she didn't do again. I guess she figured out we live here now. She'll also hold it forever if the weather is bad.

The second one leaks everywhere and I've got her on an incontinence drug now.

The third one is a big dumb idiot and came very well kennel trained but he would just piss all over the floor. He wasn't marking, he would just empty his bladder. I seem to have accidentally trained him to pee on command when I let him out and tell him to "go potty", then tell him he's such a good boy!

The second one is catching on to the pee on command thing too, which makes it easier to empty her. Between peeing more often (she's the smallest) and the drugs, we're doing a lot better.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GoodBee posted:

He wasn't marking, he would just empty his bladder

Yea that's what this one does. She pretty much goes in the same corner of the living room all the time as it's not really used, so she's kind of designated it as a "safe place" to go. She drinks so much water it's crazy. At least it's all hardwood / vinyl in my apartment so it's easy to clean, but it's still really frustrating.

Picture of the tiny idiot:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's a quality idiot.

I don't really remember how long it took before he quit peeing in the house. He only got the chance when I was home and watching him since he was kenneled while I was away. He's also a counter surfer and dumpster diver and thinks everything is a toy. He also had heartworms so he was confined to his kennel for 2 months with only very short bathroom breaks.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

GoodBee posted:

That's a quality idiot.

I don't really remember how long it took before he quit peeing in the house. He only got the chance when I was home and watching him since he was kenneled while I was away. He's also a counter surfer and dumpster diver and thinks everything is a toy. He also had heartworms so he was confined to his kennel for 2 months with only very short bathroom breaks.

That's my big weird goofy girl, too, though happily she came to us house trained.

We got her from the local municipal shelter at the beginning of December at the age of slightly more than two years old, which suggests she was a Christmas puppy in her former life. She's a boxer/pittie mix, and she's incredibly energetic, loves people with the burning passion of a thousand suns and doesn't know how to control it, and eats literally every chicken bone on the sidewalk faster than we can stop her. Sadly the shelter experience and possibly a lack of dog socialization in her former life means she hits the ceiling when she sees another dog; I think it's barrier frustration but even when she does get to greet a dog, she sniffs for a few seconds and then starts barking/snapping so there's something else going on in addition. Jamming meatballs down her throat when she's calm around doggos has helped her keep focus on us when we encounter one of the neighbor dogs, but she's constantly on alert for stuff so it's been a challenge. Hopefully once the plague is over we can get an appointment with a behaviorist to talk about specific strategies for helping her chill, even if she'll never be the most social dog on earth.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm finishing up the third month with my rescue German Shepherd and I love her to death. She's starting to realize that she owns the house now, so the nice, timid, quiet dog I had the first week of January is now sitting next to my bed at 5:30 screaming "BITCH GET MY FOOD NOW".

Unfortunately she's terrified of stairs so she can't hang out with me when I'm working, but she gets as close to me as she can and stays there all day.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

One of my dogs is my intern, because he shadows me all day. My hound dog decided she lives outside now since the weather is nice I just left the door open. The little dog hasn't figured out what to do yet.

Bonus: One cat likes to scream a lot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

poverty goat posted:

Wilfred can now make it about 30 seconds in the same room as the rabbit, being held, before he begins to shake uncontrollably. Baying follows within seconds and it takes hours for the adrenaline to subside. This is progress, i guess.

Post some bagels, preferably a video of the doofus trying to sort out what's going on. Ours is largely benign at all times, but beags are made for sent smellin' and rabbit going attin'. That'll depend from dog to dog, so it's anyone's guess. You might be able to get them used enough to the bunny that they'll just ignore it if it's out of sight.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Thinking about bringing home a shelter dog since I'll be home a bunch. I've already got 3.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Looking for some advice/tips on welcoming and training non-puppy new dogs.

A good friend of mine volunteers at a shelter here in San Diego that rescues dogs from across the border in TJ and they are in dire need with the pandemic right now, so with both of us working from home for the foreseeable future, we have taken in a dog to foster (and maybe forever, we'll see). He was neutered 8 days ago and they say judging by his teeth he's around 2-3 years old. He had some kind of GI issue resulting in diarrhea, which is slowly settling down. He's definitely a bit scared, but he's been pretty mellow since we brought him home this afternoon.

Picked up a crate and with the advice from the OP he took to it very quickly. Gave him some food (mixed in pumpkin paste which my SO was told helps the stomach issues?) but he's only nibbled a little.

I guess the main question is what modifications (if any) to the housetraining advice in the OP is appropriate for a dog this age? He's been out in the yard once since he got home and he pee'd a little but it looked like marking territory to me more than actual relief. Any other advice for rescues this age?

update on this good boi

Took him to the vet today and they say he's got an enlarged prostate, which is why he can't control his bowels or bladder. Have to bring him back again on Monday to see the vet who does these surgeries and get a final word.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Poor boy. I hope you get some good news.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Warbird posted:

Post some bagels, preferably a video of the doofus trying to sort out what's going on. Ours is largely benign at all times, but beags are made for sent smellin' and rabbit going attin'. That'll depend from dog to dog, so it's anyone's guess. You might be able to get them used enough to the bunny that they'll just ignore it if it's out of sight.

All my handy beag pics have food in the foreground for some reason. Anyway, by the time the dogs started to chill out a bit, the rabbit had figured out that the dogs were not friends and was pretty stressed about it so there was another rescue mission and the rabbit is home now

cailleask
May 6, 2007

What’s the deal with dog food now? The last I knew, grain free was preferred and Purina/Hills were considered garbage tier food. My vet sent me home with a flier that says grain free is super bad, and the best food for dogs now is Purina ProPlan or Science Diet with lots of grain.

I’ve never had reason to question my vet before, and Luna had colitis amongst other things so had to be on a limited ingredient diet. Did Purina really get their act together and start making a good food?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

cailleask posted:

What’s the deal with dog food now? The last I knew, grain free was preferred and Purina/Hills were considered garbage tier food. My vet sent me home with a flier that says grain free is super bad, and the best food for dogs now is Purina ProPlan or Science Diet with lots of grain.

I’ve never had reason to question my vet before, and Luna had colitis amongst other things so had to be on a limited ingredient diet. Did Purina really get their act together and start making a good food?

This explains it pretty well. It looks like FDA page has been archived.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-fdas-grain-free-diet-alert/

I don't know that dogs need a lot of grain. I think the Purina ProPlan has a fair amount of meat now? Not sure. As far as I know, you still want meats as your main ingredients.

I switched my dogs off of grain free to a chicken and rice dry food. Mine don't have any digestive issues or food allergies though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo gets plain ol' Iams for large breeds (he's 50lbs) because it's the best cheap/easy to find stuff without being too cheap. It doesn't give him a rash like the garbage generic he was getting at the shelter, he loves the taste of it (I can use it as treats for training) and he's a healthy boy after several years on it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I switched off of Merrick grain-free to Purina ProPlan Focus and my dogs have been doing great on it. ProPlan is decent and has a good amount of actual meat in it. My female has a chicken allergy and the ProPlan Focus Sensitive is one of the few kibbles out there that has no chicken at all in it. Many others have chicken meal or by-products even if the “flavor” is fish or lamb or beef. Just don’t go lower tier than ProPlan; Purina’s other stuff is still mostly garbage.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Huh. Good thing I didn’t open this 13lb bag of Orijen yet. I guess it’s going to be Pro Plan for large breed puppies, because Nova’s adult size estimate has gone from 30lbs to 50lbs to 70lbs :aaaaa: She’s now at 19lbs at 11 weeks old!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The rescue I got my German Shepherd from recommended Costco chicken and rice for adult dogs. Also said grain free is bad.

My dog LOVES it, however she loves anything edible and some things that are not edible sooooo take that as you will

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I had to feed my dog boiled chicken and rice for a while to get him over a bad streak of diarrhea, and man anytime I cook anything rice or chicken he's super excited.

We feed him Royal Canin normally though, it was the best food as recommended by my vet, although he lamented that it was a Mars Corp food (he doesn't like the Banfields et al vet clinics popping up in the area.)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

quote:

Freeman emphasizes that although there appears to be an association between DCM and BEG diets, the relationship has not yet been proven, and other factors may be equally or more important.

A lot of people are over reacting. It's still a relatively low sample number and as mentioned, they have only found an association, not a proven relationship.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

There are nearly 90 million dogs in the US. ~500 is incredibly statistically insignificant.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A lot of people are over reacting. It's still a relatively low sample number and as mentioned, they have only found an association, not a proven relationship.

This is true. But, aside from grain allergies, there's no evidence that a grain-free diet in general is better than a diet that includes a moderate amount of grains.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I went from paying about 2.66 lb for food to .33 lb with no worse bowel/weight difference so I was buying a crock of poo poo ime. blue buffalo has been the only bad food i've had

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah, I went from Orijen (which the last bag I bought gave all of my dogs the shits) to Purina Proplan and went from $110 for 16lbs to $50 for 30lbs and they don’t poo poo themselves. We also supplement with homemade food though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I went from paying about 2.66 lb for food to .33 lb with no worse bowel/weight difference so I was buying a crock of poo poo ime. blue buffalo has been the only bad food i've had

Pretty much every vet tech or veterinarian I’ve spoken to says Blue Buffalo is just overly marketed garbage.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We also switched to Purina ProPlan and like it. Stella still turns up her nose at it sometimes but less often. She shits less frequently (she was doing like 5 a day on the old stuff) and we can get proplan cheaper and delivered to our door.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

We switched to ProPlan almost a year ago. I started looking more closely at food options because of the potential issues with grain-free, but a bigger factor in the decision was learning that most dog food companies don't have a veterinary nutritionist designing their food. The "head chef" of the puppy food we used when we first brought our dog home trained as a chemical engineer. The food a pet store employee recommended to us was designed by a person whose only listed qualification was "a lifetime of working with dogs." And sure, those companies are still meeting a basic nutritional standard, but the more I looked into it, the more I wanted to stick with a brand that has nutrition experts on staff and does feeding trials.

We swap between different flavors of Pro Plan Focus, and our hound mix has been doing great on it. Her poops are good, her coat looks great, and the vet said her weight was right where it should be at her last checkup.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How is the Solid Gold brand? I think I saw it recommended on the forums a long time ago but dunno if opinions have changed.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
I had all kinds of ridiculous notions about fancy-rear end, grain-free dog food when I got my lab, but turns out she has lots of allergies and a very sensitive stomach. The only food we've found that she can keep down without much trouble is Hill's Science Diet lamb meal and brown rice. And even then, I'm beginning to suspect that what the vet has been chalking up to environmental allergies is actually a result of shifting her from the puppy food to the adult food. In which case, the next stop is some kangaroo-based diet to clear her out and then the gradual reintroduction of food to see what sets her off. It's a great issue to have with a breed that thinks the planet is 99% edible.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I swear by canine choice if you can get hold of it (I'm in the UK) or equivalent. We rescue, foster, help rehome and rehab all kinds of pups and get good healthy movements and skin/coat with the stuff. I'm not an all meat feeder but I don't think grains are important for canines and there's little evidence to suggest otherwise. There's some non grain carbs in CC.

I'd feed raw if I could but I rent and don't have a good space that I can easily hose down. So I compromise with what I believe to be reasonable dry food and use rope toys to replace the raw chewing.

Hello btw first Pet Island post, time at home is much welcomed pooch time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Can anyone point me to a resource for heartworm? I got my girl in January from a rescue, and she was heartworm positive. They're covering the treatment. She had an injection and overnight stay a month ago, and was scheduled to have one again on Friday.

Unfortunately, the hospital had to close unexpectedly and I'm not sure when they're coming back. They told me at the last treatment that there was only a small window for the next treatment. I'm trying to figure out how much of a window that actually is, and the hospital hasn't gotten back to me yet

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whatever it is that tells dogs that pooping blood at 2am in a Sunday morning during a crisis is the best thing to do, I wish it would stop. I swear the ratio of ‘emergency sickness happens outside sane hours’ to within must be 10:1. Goodbye trump bucks and tax return, just make sure my pup gets better please. I can’t deal with not having that stinky beast around.

E: it was too late.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
I have a 8 year old Black Lab that i will be taking across the country this year. Miss Red really loves my sister and her marathon attitude. This is not a question but more I will keep people up to date on the great dog that I have.

The dog loves to run with her.

mcbagpipes fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 29, 2020