Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shaggy and Scooby keep going in, but they need to be bribed with snacks to do it. The rest of the team keep them starved so that food can be used as a motivator, and the only time we see them eating anything substantial is after a job is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

All my Scooby-Doo Knowledge is from the 90's and earlier shows (and the Supernatural crossover, which is an insane thing to exist), I haven't even seen the live action films, google tells me that's from a newer thing.

Mystery Inc was a Scooby Doo that ran a few years ago with explicitly supernatural elements except it was extremely good in defiance of all expectation.

It had episodic mystery-of-the-week stuff with an overall background serialised story about the town basically being a slowly waking lovecraftian nightmare.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 26, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

Shaggy and Scooby keep going in, but they need to be bribed with snacks to do it. The rest of the team keep them starved so that food can be used as a motivator, and the only time we see them eating anything substantial is after a job is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw

They eat giant loving sandwiches in the middle of a case all the goddamn time.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXMJP1J-3Y

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Devil why the gently caress are you watching your owners getting down, give them some privacy. And stop riffing on their sexlife!

No but you see it isn't a dog pervert it's a mountain wolf pervert!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

MikeJF posted:

Mystery Inc was a Scooby Doo that ran a few years ago with explicitly supernatural elements except it was extremely good in defiance of all expectation.

It had episodic mystery-of-the-week stuff with an overall background serialised story about the town basically being a slowly waking lovecraftian nightmare.

I can't let any mention of Mysteries, Inc pass without mentioning that there was an entire episode dedicated to a cadre of ska zombies that used a ska-fueled voodoo ritual to try and make the entire town skank itself to death, and only Scooby and Shaggy were immune because they're tone deaf idiots, so they had to get the Hex Girls, a trio of rock and roll witches, to counter the ritual with a musical spell of their own, resulting in a supernatural battle of the bands where they had a giant loving DBZ beam battle over the townies.

Also there's an evil Hitler bird that replaced a guy's spine with a snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Bjl2x1ZMw

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 26, 2020

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Note that it's not a magic ska song, it's just a ska song so catchy it is literally impossible not to skank when you hear it. The best part of Mystery Incorporated is that everything going on in the first season and a half is explicitly un-supernatural, which leads to a gradual shift from preternatural to supernatural that's handled extremely well.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Note that it's not a magic ska song, it's just a ska song so catchy it is literally impossible not to skank when you hear it. The best part of Mystery Incorporated is that everything going on in the first season and a half is explicitly un-supernatural, which leads to a gradual shift from preternatural to supernatural that's handled extremely well.

Yeah they faked their deaths 30 years ago to write the perfect song, but it took longer than expected, and so when they came back no one cared about ska anymore. So Rude Boy and the Ska-Tastics decided to pretend to be zombies since zombies were super popular. It was all to become the best ska artists in human history, and they would've gotten away with it if it hadn't been for the meddling coterie of rock and roll witches and their cross-dressing dog.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ah, Umpty Ska.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

John Dyne posted:

I can't let any mention of Mysteries, Inc pass without mentioning that there was an entire episode dedicated to a cadre of ska zombies that used a ska-fueled voodoo ritual to try and make the entire town skank itself to death, and only Scooby and Shaggy were immune because they're tone deaf idiots, so they had to get the Hex Girls, a trio of rock and roll witches, to counter the ritual with a musical spell of their own, resulting in a supernatural battle of the bands where they had a giant loving DBZ beam battle over the townies.

What they don't tell you is that the ensuing victory left all affected humans with an insatiable craving for Scooby Snacks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Shaggy and Scooby both suffer from parasitic tapeworms.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

John Dyne posted:

That sounds a lot like The English Beat.

E: ha, a little Googling and it was in fact Dave Wakeling. He wrote both the songs for Rude Boy and the Ska-Tastics and the Hex Girls for that episode.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

John Dyne posted:

Didn't that series end with the gang killing people and essentially dying before some bullshit "but there was a time loop and now none of the series ever happened" ending?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Could've sworn Mysteries Inc. was the one where Scooby went nuts with a couple machineguns at one point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Everyone in the cast died, but none by the hands of anyone in the Scooby gang; all deaths were due to villainy. One of the deaths was indeed an implied death by machine gun, from I think Nazi robots. The ending was not a time loop, but they caused the demonic entity to never have existed, so they're the only ones to remember what happened, but everyone in the city is happy because none of them grew up with all the childhood trauma of living in a cursed town. Then Harlan Ellison (RIP) invites them to go to Miskatonic U, on the other side of the country, and it's implied this is the reason for the long road trip they always seem to be on in the original series.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize I was in the funny panels thread. Here's some relevant content, from Scooby-Doo Team-Up #50:

For those who don't get it, it's poking light fun at the Arrow CW show, as several main villains from the first few seasons aren't really known as Green Arrow villains.

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 26, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw

They eat giant loving sandwiches in the middle of a case all the goddamn time.

In my memory they'd prepare the sandwiches but get spooked before eating them. It's been a while.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ah, Umpty Ska.

I got and appreciated this reference.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

In my memory they'd prepare the sandwiches but get spooked before eating them. It's been a while.

Sometimes that would happen, sometimes they'd get scared, start to run away then come back to grab the sandwich so quickly that it was still hanging in the air from when they initially dropped it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Skwirl posted:

Haven't seen it, but I bet it's worse than the half dozen episodes they've done with the Harlem Globetrotters.

What's your problem with the Harlem Globetrotters? Did they school you in the sweet science of basketball at some point?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

What's your problem with the Harlem Globetrotters? Did they school you in the sweet science of basketball at some point?

I don't have a problem with them, I just think it's weird and fascinating that Scooby-Doo has more crossovers with a novelty basketball team than probably any other person or group.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Skwirl posted:

I don't have a problem with them, I just think it's weird and fascinating that Scooby-Doo has more crossovers with a novelty basketball team than probably any other person or group.

Novelty basketball super team, thank you very much.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gann Jerrod posted:

Novelty basketball super team, thank you very much.

Second-right:

Old 200AD prog cover I cleaned up to maybe put on a tee

:eek:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

John Dyne posted:

Magic rock songs made me think of Scott Pilgrim

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Second-right:

Old 200AD prog cover I cleaned up to maybe put on a tee

:eek:

A spaghet-tee

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

The Globetrotters also appeared on Futurama a few times.

Also, did you do this?
https://twitter.com/DjLORDofficial/status/1243271774206386176
:mad:

prefect fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 27, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I would never.

Also I started watching Mystery Inc and had to turn it off when it was made clear Velma and Shaggy were a couple. What the gently caress? Daphne and Velma are the couple.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Lobok posted:

A spaghet-tee

close

Please do not iron your new synthet-tee

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Skwirl posted:

I always heard Vincent Price (specifically from 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo), and Dr Orpheus is basically a version of that.

That's basically what I've always heard.

John Dyne posted:

Jiminy bollocks. That sounds like something I'd have written for METAL WORLD if I were on a severe time crunch.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

His name is not Frankie Spaghetti, it's Frankie's Spaghetti Monster

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Skwirl posted:

I would never.

Also I started watching Mystery Inc and had to turn it off when it was made clear Velma and Shaggy were a couple. What the gently caress? Daphne and Velma are the couple.

That's just how it starts out. If that couple is the reason you're not watching the show, you should go back and keep on watching it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ponsonby Britt posted:

That's just how it starts out. If that couple is the reason you're not watching the show, you should go back and keep on watching it.

I probably will, but Velma aggressively coming on to Shaggy was a huge loving shock

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I recall that relationship is mainly a setup for Velma to sarcastically dunk on Shaggy for most of the series after they break up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

If I recall that relationship is mainly a setup for Velma to sarcastically dunk on Shaggy for most of the series after they break up.

Really not selling me on the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They break up because Shaggy cares more about his awful dog's feelings than his girlfriend's, she's right to hate him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

All my Scooby-Doo Knowledge is from the 90's and earlier shows (and the Supernatural crossover, which is an insane thing to exist), I haven't even seen the live action films, google tells me that's from a newer thing.

The genius of Scooby-Doo was that it was never an actual ghost, Scooby and Shaggy would always think it was a real ghost and still help, simultaneously being the biggest cowards and the bravest people there, and at least one of Freddie, Daphne or Velma would at one point also think it was a real ghost.

But it'd always be someone pretending to be a ghost either to drive down property prices so they could fleece someone wanting to build a railroad, or a bootleg record printing operation in a cave.

That’s why you have to carry a stake in you pants in case you come up to a vampire or a Frankenstein. You can learn all about this if you read the books by the poet laureate of the west Dalton Wilcox

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

From reading the book, the best thing you can do to stop a Frankenstein is to love it, honestly and unconditionally.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

They break up because Shaggy cares more about his awful dog's feelings than his girlfriend's, she's right to hate him.

I think the "Velma is a lesbian" jokes have been so tacitly accepted as canon by Millennials that any version that calls her out as even bi is jarring

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bony tony posted:

From reading the book, the best thing you can do to stop a Frankenstein is to love it, honestly and unconditionally.

At the very least, some acknowledgement and support regarding its theories about electricity and the revivification of mortified flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

close

Please do not iron your new synthet-tee

heaven is an inexhaustible supply of unread Bolland-illustrated Dredd stories