Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Good social distancing thing. Playing pnp online allows for listening to my own music. I've got stupid music tastes, so I usually can't.

Edit: I love how conversations end now too. Like... uh... don't die and maybe things will be sane later?

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
well I sept ten hours today after I woke up.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

I take Straterra/atomoxetine. It's been the silver bullet for me, but I have no idea about the receptor bit. When I don't get enough sleep, I sometimes miss the supercharged amphetamine effect of Vyvanse, but I super don't miss the cost, irritability, or anxiety that it comes with.

Apparently Straterra works as a NET inhibitor. Any anxiety or stimulation associated with it? The only other NET inhibitor I've had was Wellbutrin, which was too stimulating for me.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Siljmonster posted:

we got up to a 21 day wait for jobless benefits in sacramento

that's loving stupid. i hope the crisis pushes them to expedite things.

my girlfriend found out yesterday schools are closed for the rest of the school year, so she's effectively unemployed, since she's a teacher without a salary. poo poo is hosed and depressing. i don't really want to pay her rent as i'm poor too, but it's looking like i might not have much of a choice

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

xcheopis posted:

My very first therapy by phone! Different. Mostly talked about feeling inadequate because my coworkers are highly skilled people seriously stepping up in this crisis and my work background is primarily accounting stuff. I am the least qualified and work the fewest hours, which leaves me feeling lovely. But that is just how some jobs are! I am doing the most I can do, every day!
Stupid brain.

I absolutely hate therapy by phone. Next week I'm trying video chat for the first time, we'll see how that goes.

But also, it's really impressive that you're doing what you can. I feel like I'm not skilled and I'm still struggling. So try to be proud of what you're managing to do.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I absolutely hate therapy by phone. Next week I'm trying video chat for the first time, we'll see how that goes.

But also, it's really impressive that you're doing what you can. I feel like I'm not skilled and I'm still struggling. So try to be proud of what you're managing to do.

I didn't much like it either but at least I can still talk to someone, which is important. The PTSD group she was hoping to get me into is cancelled, so this is kind of it for now.

I just wish I were in good health and had the skills to do more but I managed to "rephrase" it to myself in terms of science/medicine: Every research lab still needs someone to order supplies, run the basic aspects of an experiment, clean the glassware. Every OR needs someone to make sure the instruments are sterilized and to hand the right one to the surgeon at the right time. And I feel a bit better. I'm helping and that's the important part, not how much or how little or for how long. I'm showing up and they need that from me right now. It is sufficient.

Ugh, sorry, that's.. not very coherent. I'm in a bit of a better headspace and thank you.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I see therapy by phone isn't a big hit but this was retweeted and hopefully it can help someone.

https://twitter.com/ambiej/status/1242840185123024897

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just got called by a recruiter that I interviewed with for data entry jobs 4 years ago and never heard from

so maybe this will be something

Gotta love RobertHalf

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Can't speak to phone therapy, but for me video call was just as good as in-person. I definitely recommend that if you have the option.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Siljmonster posted:

Just got called by a recruiter that I interviewed with for data entry jobs 4 years ago and never heard from

Gotta love RobertHalf

Good luck!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Siljmonster posted:

Gotta love RobertHalf

Hell yeah!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

angerbeet posted:

I see therapy by phone isn't a big hit but this was retweeted and hopefully it can help someone.

https://twitter.com/ambiej/status/1242840185123024897

Holy poo poo this is a huge loving deal. Thanks for posting this.

Siljmonster posted:

Gotta love RobertHalf

who keeps scraeming at me to love robert half, show yourself coward (but I'm really glad you have a lead)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
got 2 phone interviews lined up, one tomorrow and one next thursday. that's something, i guess.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That's excellent.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

forgive me if this has been asked before - i am essentially NEETed and living off of my parents money, havent had a job since i worked a couple of restaurants in early 2019 and then not for years before that. i have never applied for disability because all i see online is how impossible it is, though in my opinion based on the criteria i should definitely qualify. part of me tho doesnt want to put a ceiling on myself via disability if somehow i start earning anything again.

POINT BEING - does there seem to be any covid assistance coming to people like me, basically out of the job market and mentally ill? ive been having trouble parsing the latest news. if anyone has any info or advice about this, please let me know. :) my parents are feeling the crunch and my roommate/partner quit their job about 4 days before the corona shutdown bc they were ahead of the curve re: information, and everyone at work around them was symptomatic suddenly...the place shut down like 5 days later lol. so, im trying to cover both of our expenses basically.

love yall, hang in there thanks again

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Have you been diagnosed with anything? If so apply for disability. I wasn't sure I would qualify but I did and it was easy (in Canada tho).

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Flutch posted:

forgive me if this has been asked before - i am essentially NEETed and living off of my parents money, havent had a job since i worked a couple of restaurants in early 2019 and then not for years before that. i have never applied for disability because all i see online is how impossible it is, though in my opinion based on the criteria i should definitely qualify. part of me tho doesnt want to put a ceiling on myself via disability if somehow i start earning anything again.

POINT BEING - does there seem to be any covid assistance coming to people like me, basically out of the job market and mentally ill? ive been having trouble parsing the latest news. if anyone has any info or advice about this, please let me know. :) my parents are feeling the crunch and my roommate/partner quit their job about 4 days before the corona shutdown bc they were ahead of the curve re: information, and everyone at work around them was symptomatic suddenly...the place shut down like 5 days later lol. so, im trying to cover both of our expenses basically.

love yall, hang in there thanks again

I'd also look around and see if you have a local mutual aid program going. We all need to take care of each other to get through this pandemic.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Thanks yall - will do both, and ya Im diagnosed bipolar 1. Couldnt hurt to finally give it a try, real lovely time probably to haha. Oklahoma mutual aid seems pretty pressed as is but I will definitely plug in. 💕💕

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Flutch posted:

Thanks yall - will do both, and ya Im diagnosed bipolar 1. Couldnt hurt to finally give it a try, real lovely time probably to haha. Oklahoma mutual aid seems pretty pressed as is but I will definitely plug in. 💕💕

what up bipolar buddy, it's ya boi chokes with the Bipolar 2 with PTSD

AFAIK you absolutely qualify for disability with bipolar. It's covered by the ADA, too, so if you're willing to disclose to an employer then they have to accommodate you. Whether or not they do so without being assholes is another story, document everything, yadda yadda but it's something to consider.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
almost all of my social circles are now just being hostile towards me and eachother and i'm not sure what to do. i had a bad panic attack a couple weeks ago and one of my friends is just openly hostile towards me about it. gently caress do i do. i'm not handling any of it well :(

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
how do i find a telework therapist i guess

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Went to the doctor today, risking germs in the clinic for asthma medication and a nose spray that I've been taking for years, ever since a life-threatening 8 hour sinus surgery. Went to the pharmacy and both medications are out of stock across the city due to hoarding. This would have caused me immense anxiety without a global pandemic. :(

Ironically the 8 hour sinus surgery was the near-death experience that propelled me to say "gently caress it" and move my life to Australia. Until recently I was very happy with that choice. But now, without medication or universal health care, I could easily end up dead and/or penniless.

I weighed the possibility of a health concern before I made the move but fuuuck me, couldn't have seen this coming. My suburb is the epicentre if the breakout in Melbourne too.

Edit: I should have mentioned the surgeon said I needed to take the nose spray twice per day forever or the polyps may come back and I'll need surgery again. :(

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 12:28 on Mar 26, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My productivity has been nearly zero these two weeks and now I made the mistake of going on Facebook and learning that EVERYONE in my field is getting laid off (my company so far has not, but I'm guessing it's inevitable). gently caress.

Edit: Anyone have any particularly good resources on mindfulness or whatever the gently caress keeps you focused on the present, especially in the context of anxiety? My problem seems to be "suffering through anticipation" and whenever there is a chance of things POSSIBLY going wrong, I always obsess about them going wrong.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Mar 26, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

how do i find a telework therapist i guess

It was just posted but since I can't c/p the phone number without :effort:

https://twitter.com/marygeorgant/status/1242837652866510848

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Went to the doctor today, risking germs in the clinic for asthma medication and a nose spray that I've been taking for years, ever since a life-threatening 8 hour sinus surgery. Went to the pharmacy and both medications are out of stock across the city due to hoarding. This would have caused me immense anxiety without a global pandemic. :(

Ironically the 8 hour sinus surgery was the near-death experience that propelled me to say "gently caress it" and move my life to Australia. Until recently I was very happy with that choice. But now, without medication or universal health care, I could easily end up dead and/or penniless.

I weighed the possibility of a health concern before I made the move but fuuuck me, couldn't have seen this coming. My suburb is the epicentre if the breakout in Melbourne too.

Edit: I should have mentioned the surgeon said I needed to take the nose spray twice per day forever or the polyps may come back and I'll need surgery again. :(

Australia doesn't have UHC? Jesus, everything in that country really IS trying to kill you :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They have UHC for Aussie citizens and PR. Immigrants can get hosed. We also don't qualify for unemployment benefits while everyone else is getting $2,200 per month.

My country, Canada, gives UHC to everyone. My wife is a NZ citizen and Aussies get UHC/UI there, but not vice versa.

I'm not a fan of Canada in general but they definitely do some things better.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Mar 26, 2020

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Flutch posted:

Hire a disability attorney to help you through the process, you are likely to be denied with you first application. If you haven't worked long enough to earn enough Social Security credits, you might only be eligible for supplemental income and not full benefits. It's better than nothing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I honestly marvel at the anxious mind's ability to manifest symptoms out of thin air. you name it, I can convince myself I'm suffering from it.

this pandemic is gonna set my progress back years.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

salisbury shake posted:

Hire a disability attorney to help you through the process, you are likely to be denied with you first application. If you haven't worked long enough to earn enough Social Security credits, you might only be eligible for supplemental income and not full benefits. It's better than nothing.

Do you have any idea what a disability attorney costs, or how long you need to work to gain said credits?

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

Do you have any idea what a disability attorney costs, or how long you need to work to gain said credits?

I believe some of them will work on contingency, meaning they only get paid if you win and they take their fees from a portion of your benefits. And I'm not sure, sorry. The required amount of credits for full benefits is on the Social Security website somewhere and it varies based on age. If you can prove your disability started before you were 18, or you have an application filed before then, I think the earned credit limitation is waived.

Talk to a lawyer, though. It's been a while since I looked this up.

salisbury shake has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Mar 27, 2020

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ive been socially isolated for [embarrassing time period] prior to this virus situation and frankly loving it, now that i cant pursue relationships i suddenly want to

idiot monkey brain wants what it cant have at all times

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Chard posted:

ive been socially isolated for [embarrassing time period] prior to this virus situation and frankly loving it, now that i cant pursue relationships i suddenly want to

idiot monkey brain wants what it cant have at all times

Same boat. Quarantine worked better than any medication lol

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

How the gently caress can people keep working and not be worried about the possible collapse of the US/EU/everything?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AceOfFlames posted:

How the gently caress can people keep working and not be worried about the possible collapse of the US/EU/everything?

In my case I have a job I actually like for the first time in 20 years so I'd like to keep it if/when it ever re-opens again. This is my last day going to work though, they're letting me work from home starting Monday even though I can't do the whole job from home.

This was the train during Friday night rush hour on the middle of the CBD.

Plus it's cathartic to talk to my co-workers. It's gonna be tough with my wife and I both working from a studio apartment for 6 months after this even though we get along really well

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

So heres the honest truth: I do. If I really give in and let all the depressive thoughts and anxious worries take hold, then yes I can build myself into a paralyzing fear about the future in so many ways.

But I dont put it near my work. I work as a grocery store clerk in the organic/gluten-free section of my store. And that work is only getting harder and even less appropriately compensated right now. But you know what? Its still a thing to do.

No matter what is going on, whoevers buying, however crazy things get, Im still putting products on the shelves and getting them into customers hands. Right now our deliveries are a mess; I frequently have no idea when Im going to get things refilled, and even before the coronavirus things were starting to disappear for weeks. I just got some varieties of kefir yesterday that I havent seen in months.

But that kefir? Thats someones favorite. Thats the one variety their kid will drink, or thats allergen safe for them, or whatever. Im spending a lot of time helping people who are shopping for isolated relatives figure out grandmas granola buying habits or whatever. Lots of husbands who dont do the shopping normally who are finally stepping up. That kind of thing.

And to each and every one of them, having the necessary and preferred items on the shelves, having someone who can listen and generally give them accurate advice on what the hell mascarpone is and where to find it in the store, thats important. Thats a little self-care, a little kindness, a little shelter against the storm.

Im not doing much mutual aid stuff otherwise in my community because just doing my regular shifts (plus pitching in some extra hours) right now is that exhausting. Between that and my own self care as a person with a disability I am just stupid busy right now.

But Im still contributing. Im still doing my part, as small as it is. Everyone who walks out of my store is better for my presence, and thats the important thing. No matter how everything else is going, people are eating because of me. And that matters.

And I encourage you to think of your job the same way. No matter where you are or what youre doing, your job is valuable to society in some way. Whatever you are doing, it helps out other people in the end, somehow. Dont think about the price or the politics: there is someone somewhere who has a connection to your work. And without your work? Their life is less normal, more lovely, a little closer to Hellworld. Thats your little fight against things breaking down. And right now? If thats all you can do, all you can give, thats enough.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

So here’s the honest truth: I do. If I really give in and let all the depressive thoughts and anxious worries take hold, then yes I can build myself into a paralyzing fear about the future in so many ways.

But I don’t put it near my work. I work as a grocery store clerk in the organic/gluten-free section of my store. And that work is only getting harder and even less appropriately compensated right now. But you know what? It’s still a thing to do.

No matter what is going on, whoever’s buying, however crazy things get, I’m still putting products on the shelves and getting them into customers hands. Right now our deliveries are a mess; I frequently have no idea when I’m going to get things refilled, and even before the coronavirus things were starting to disappear for weeks. I just got some varieties of kefir yesterday that I haven’t seen in months.

But that kefir? That’s someone’s favorite. That’s the one variety their kid will drink, or that’s allergen safe for them, or whatever. I’m spending a lot of time helping people who are shopping for isolated relatives figure out grandma’s granola buying habits or whatever. Lots of husbands who don’t do the shopping normally who are finally stepping up. That kind of thing.

And to each and every one of them, having the necessary and preferred items on the shelves, having someone who can listen and generally give them accurate advice on what the hell mascarpone is and where to find it in the store, that’s important. That’s a little self-care, a little kindness, a little shelter against the storm.

I’m not doing much mutual aid stuff otherwise in my community because just doing my regular shifts (plus pitching in some extra hours) right now is that exhausting. Between that and my own self care as a person with a disability I am just stupid busy right now.

But I’m still contributing. I’m still doing my part, as small as it is. Everyone who walks out of my store is better for my presence, and that’s the important thing. No matter how everything else is going, people are eating because of me. And that matters.

And I encourage you to think of your job the same way. No matter where you are or what you’re doing, your job is valuable to society in some way. Whatever you are doing, it helps out other people in the end, somehow. Don’t think about the price or the politics: there is someone somewhere who has a connection to your work. And without your work? Their life is less normal, more lovely, a little closer to Hellworld. That’s your little fight against things breaking down. And right now? If that’s all you can do, all you can give, that’s enough.

I'm glad you feel that way about your job. Unfortunately I work in Aerospace software (which is plummeting like a rock, to the point that my Facebook is filled with former colleagues announcing they were laid off) and right now I'm having simple changed nitpicked to death because they don't conform to the byzantine architecture we have (or even better, be forced to fix someone's prior not conformity to the byzantine architecture), the people responsible for all all on holiday (to the point I actually contacted them out of sheer desperation and after helping me they went "taking this long is unacceptable"). All for a product which will likely not sell a single unit.

I don't care about "impact" anymore. Nothing we do matters and is all erased by external factors. My secret fantasy is yelling at my coworkers "I don't care about this lovely product or your attempts at chasing software purity. I just want to know what it takes to get a good performance review and more money. How do I do that?". That's what I want. To be locked in a box, to be a good little slave and be told exactly what to do, be told "good job!" and be paid for it (or at least get the means to live without worry) until I die. Responsibility, initiative, creativity. What is the point of that? It's just more means of failure and more investment that then can be shattered.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 09:41 on Mar 27, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

AceOfFlames posted:

For me, I just don't think it will happen. Humanity has been through much worse. I'm far more worried about personally getting the disease than I am about the impact it will have on nations, and civilization overall. Human beings survived over 300 years of Black Death recurrences.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

Because right now we are more worried about our people who are homeless.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

AceOfFlames posted:

If I can get my head into my work and focus on that it's a break from the anxiety.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

So here’s the honest truth: I do. If I really give in and let all the depressive thoughts and anxious worries take hold, then yes I can build myself into a paralyzing fear about the future in so many ways.

But I don’t put it near my work. I work as a grocery store clerk in the organic/gluten-free section of my store. And that work is only getting harder and even less appropriately compensated right now. But you know what? It’s still a thing to do.

No matter what is going on, whoever’s buying, however crazy things get, I’m still putting products on the shelves and getting them into customers hands. Right now our deliveries are a mess; I frequently have no idea when I’m going to get things refilled, and even before the coronavirus things were starting to disappear for weeks. I just got some varieties of kefir yesterday that I haven’t seen in months.

But that kefir? That’s someone’s favorite. That’s the one variety their kid will drink, or that’s allergen safe for them, or whatever. I’m spending a lot of time helping people who are shopping for isolated relatives figure out grandma’s granola buying habits or whatever. Lots of husbands who don’t do the shopping normally who are finally stepping up. That kind of thing.

And to each and every one of them, having the necessary and preferred items on the shelves, having someone who can listen and generally give them accurate advice on what the hell mascarpone is and where to find it in the store, that’s important. That’s a little self-care, a little kindness, a little shelter against the storm.

I’m not doing much mutual aid stuff otherwise in my community because just doing my regular shifts (plus pitching in some extra hours) right now is that exhausting. Between that and my own self care as a person with a disability I am just stupid busy right now.

But I’m still contributing. I’m still doing my part, as small as it is. Everyone who walks out of my store is better for my presence, and that’s the important thing. No matter how everything else is going, people are eating because of me. And that matters.

And I encourage you to think of your job the same way. No matter where you are or what you’re doing, your job is valuable to society in some way. Whatever you are doing, it helps out other people in the end, somehow. Don’t think about the price or the politics: there is someone somewhere who has a connection to your work. And without your work? Their life is less normal, more lovely, a little closer to Hellworld. That’s your little fight against things breaking down. And right now? If that’s all you can do, all you can give, that’s enough.

hey man, as a fake job haver sitting in my parents home working remotely (heres hoping the market crash in my college town will make an apartment affordable soon!), I just want to thank you for being an actual important worker on the front lines doing things that actually need to be done for far less money than you deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

prom candy posted:

If I can get my head into my work and focus on that it's a break from the anxiety.

This helps a lot, since it forces you to keep your composure, at least for a little while. MY WIFE talks a lot about how work helps about her huge mood swings by forcing her to be around other people and to maintain a calm demeanor.

I mean, repression isn't healthy at any level, but there's something to be said for a social situation shocking you out of your isolated funk.