Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gynovore posted:

Generally yeah. But if you throw it on a random etb dork, you get 1-1ed at worst and win at best.

Pretty much, calling Hydra's Growth a "complete trap" is going too hard in the opposite direction from "Hydra's Growth is a bomb". I like it in Green/White auras deck where I have a lot of protection from Alseids and Karametra's Blessings and also a lot of bodies that otherwise can't fight anyway like Heliod's Pilgrim or an Envoy being blanked by Nexus Wardens or what have you.

I mean I'd rather have a Commanding Presence but if I have a couple of Karametra's Blessings and such in my deck I'm pretty happy running a Growth in the aura plan even if I wouldn't pick it super highly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

How is the green 3/3 for 3 not just a slam pick in these meh packs? Centaur Courser with upside in my green creature deck? Yes please

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Any thoughts on the FNM at home challenger decks?

the Meta will be:
Badish Jeskai Fires
Bad Cavalcade Mono-R (with a single embercleave, lol)
Golgari Advenures
Simic Flash

All of the decks are underpowered (as they are the challenger decks you can buy in paper).

So who rules the roost here?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Drewjitsu posted:

the Meta will be:
Badish Jeskai Fires
Golgari Advenures
Simic Flash

All of the decks are underpowered (as they are the challenger decks you can buy in paper).

I'm going to say Golgari Adventures. It has a lot of synergy going on also being a pseudo-Knights deck, and it looks like the best balance by far. It's far from perfect, but all the other decks have significant flaws. Not enough 1/1 hasty boys in the Cavalcade deck (to be fair I wouldn't want a Cleave in there, same for Bonecrushers and Rimrocks). It's got the same fundamental problem every Cavalcade deck has - it's an absolute glass cannon, your opening hand effectively predetermines whether you win or lose. I haven't played enough Jeskai to have a strong opinion but it looks short on wincons and LOL at no Teferi. Simic Flash looks...like Simic Flash. Nightpack is still probably a game ender if you can keep it on board and the lack of Brazen Borrowers is kinda funny, but Simic Flash is still the most annoying deck to play AND play against so I wouldn't consider it to begin with.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Drewjitsu posted:

the Meta will be:
Badish Jeskai Fires
Golgari Advenures
Simic Flash

I didn't look closely at the decklists except to note that Simic Flash has a full playset of Nightpack Ambushers, sooooo

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Toozler posted:

How is the green 3/3 for 3 not just a slam pick in these meh packs? Centaur Courser with upside in my green creature deck? Yes please

It having basically no synergy with anything makes it a lot less desirable than typical (which is usually a solid C rank, anyway).

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm going to say Golgari Adventures. It has a lot of synergy going on also being a pseudo-Knights deck, and it looks like the best balance by far. It's far from perfect, but all the other decks have significant flaws. Not enough 1/1 hasty boys in the Cavalcade deck (to be fair I wouldn't want a Cleave in there, same for Bonecrushers and Rimrocks). It's got the same fundamental problem every Cavalcade deck has - it's an absolute glass cannon, your opening hand effectively predetermines whether you win or lose. I haven't played enough Jeskai to have a strong opinion but it looks short on wincons and LOL at no Teferi. Simic Flash looks...like Simic Flash. Nightpack is still probably a game ender if you can keep it on board and the lack of Brazen Borrowers is kinda funny, but Simic Flash is still the most annoying deck to play AND play against so I wouldn't consider it to begin with.

It's WOTC so they're not including $100 worth of cards in 4x borrowers in a $35 deck.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Look Around You posted:

It's WOTC so they're not including $100 worth of cards in 4x borrowers in a $35 deck.

I get that, I just think that 4x Borrowers is so fundamental to the Simic deck that it's a much bigger handicap than the limited number of mythics in the other decks. The Cavalcade deck doesn't even really need Embercleave, but they had to include something or they know sales of that deck would suffer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, the Golgari Adventures one is a solid deck, it's not the best it could possibly be but with that many adventure knights, plus innkeeper and clover it's not gonna suck whereas the rest are all seriously hamstrung somehow - Fires doesn't have anywhere near enough of the big creatures that give everything haste, Simic doesn't have Borrower and looks a touch light on counterspells, the cavalcade deck just looks bad (there's a TONNE of stuff that synergises poorly with Cavalcade, it's more of a standard monored aggro deck just with a lot less of the top end stuff that good monored aggro has, and it's lacking one of the big cavalcade payoffs in Spitfire. And, for that matter, any Shocks which is a big thing to leave out.

I'd probably peg it as Adventures > Simic > RDW > Fires I think?

They're all pretty heavily hamstrung but the Golgari Adventures is the least hamstrung.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Toozler posted:

Tower Scout is not completely unplayable but it's very undesirable filler which adds nothing of real value to any deck in this format. It's somewhere amongst the weakest creatures in the format overall and likely in the bottom 3 for green together with Setessan Skirmisher and Nyxborn Colossus.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, the Golgari Adventures one is a solid deck, it's not the best it could possibly be but with that many adventure knights, plus innkeeper and clover it's not gonna suck whereas the rest are all seriously hamstrung somehow - Fires doesn't have anywhere near enough of the big creatures that give everything haste, Simic doesn't have Borrower and looks a touch light on counterspells, the cavalcade deck just looks bad (there's a TONNE of stuff that synergises poorly with Cavalcade, it's more of a standard monored aggro deck just with a lot less of the top end stuff that good monored aggro has, and it's lacking one of the big cavalcade payoffs in Spitfire. And, for that matter, any Shocks which is a big thing to leave out.

I'd probably peg it as Adventures > Simic > RDW > Fires I think?

They're all pretty heavily hamstrung but the Golgari Adventures is the least hamstrung.

Shocks are in the sideboard for cavalcade. :v:

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Drewjitsu posted:

Shocks are in the sideboard for cavalcade. :v:
Wow I just noticed it's a Bo3 format

I don't think they've ever done that for a free event before

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hammer Bro. posted:

Turns out the March 12th patch broke the client for a lot of people.

If anyone else boots to a black screen, check https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs/suggestions/39924757-black-screen

Quoting myself 'cause they broke it again.

Or I guess un-unbroke it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Kanfy posted:

Tower Scout is not completely unplayable but it's very undesirable filler which adds nothing of real value to any deck in this format. It's somewhere amongst the weakest creatures in the format overall and likely in the bottom 3 for green together with Setessan Skirmisher and Nyxborn Colossus.

inspire awe is in the set. i've also never seen anyone use klothys's design, even in the decks with a billion green pips. tower scout is more on the level of nexus wardens (playable but eminently replacable), just tilted aggressively rather than defensively.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Funkdreamer posted:

Wow I just noticed it's a Bo3 format

I don't think they've ever done that for a free event before

I completely missed that too. I still think Golgari is the most well rounded deck. The sideboards are mostly reasonably constructed, mostly commons and uncommons with the usual hate you'd want to see. The Cavalcade one is probably the worst for the same reason, it still doesn't play like a pure Cavalcade build or a pure RDW build, Jeskai still doesn't have enough threats (and why the hell is Ashiok in there? There's not much graveyard recursion in the format), and some of the Simic choices are downright baffling (as in, some of those cards should be main deck).

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 27, 2020

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I rolled everyone with the FNM red deck. It helps when your opening hand is 3 lands, a Chandra, and 2 haste boys and draw into Cavalcade in more then one game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ScottyJSno posted:

I rolled everyone with the FNM red deck. It helps when your opening hand is 3 lands, a Chandra, and 2 haste boys and draw into Cavalcade in more then one game.

Yeah I went 2-0 and it took like 5 minutes total. Game 1 I passed T1 but went Steamkin into Steamkin + 1-drop into double Light Up and yeah

Time to enjoy my 40 gems

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cavalcade decks were always dependent on the initial draw. Glass cannons, but even poorly optimized they can blow your enemy up with a quickness.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ungulateman posted:

inspire awe is in the set. i've also never seen anyone use klothys's design, even in the decks with a billion green pips. tower scout is more on the level of nexus wardens (playable but eminently replacable), just tilted aggressively rather than defensively.

Right, but I said "creatures". I'd definitely rank Wardens above Tower Scout since there are decks that actively like having Wardens but there are no decks that actively like having Scout. It's also a way better sideboard card in Bo3.

(Also as tragic as it is, I've lost a couple of games to Inspire Awe since who the heck plays around that card)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The fires deck feels quite terrible. I got this as a starting hand, and in retrospect it was a good one:

I am 0-5ish, all against the red deck. With the fires deck always being matched against the fires deck, being unable to cast anything before turn 4 makes it hard win as the cav deck can kill you on turn 4 with a bit of luck.
The golgari and the flash deck are OK.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well this feels like a super mediocre pool https://www.17lands.com/deck/4636c82b55da485ea91a683b599052a2 but I think there's an OK deck in it. What should I do with it?

I went 2/1 with the Golgari Adventures deck in about ten minutes, which took that long mostly because my first opponent hung on WAY longer than they should have with a smaller board than me and me with a tonne of knights and two Clovers. Maybe they hadn't seen it before.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but are there any plans to mitigate how oppressive Thassa and Agent of Treachery is? This is worse than when everyone was slobbering over Teferi's dick. I see a blue land and I already know the match is going to be "so" "fun." :rolleyes:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I miss playing magic, specifically when I started playing again after like 10 or so years, right in the Khans block. Man, what a good set. Abzan control and midrange was really just a state of mind more than a deck.

I wonder if the new set is gonna be good. I haven't played since... uhh. poo poo. I think Dominaria?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but are there any plans to mitigate how oppressive Thassa and Agent of Treachery is? This is worse than when everyone was slobbering over Teferi's dick. I see a blue land and I already know the match is going to be "so" "fun." :rolleyes:

AT the very least, Agent rotates out *relatively* soon.

But I'm not sure what can be done about it other than aggressively running stuff that hard counters it like Hushbringer and Trostani Discordant. Or killing them before they get it in play.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Luckily, only HALF of that combo is Indestructible!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You could counter the problem cards (if you're in Blue), and/or exile Thassa before Agent becomes an issue (if you're in White).

Or you can win before they get to 7 mana (if you're in Red).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Now that Oko and OUaT are gone, Veil of Summer is safe and would be a fine card in this meta.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Veil of Summer, But It Doesn't Draw A Card

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just notice that the cavalcade deck has no Anax. :psyduck: I thought that my opponents just were having mediocre draws.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jabor posted:

You could counter the problem cards (if you're in Blue), and/or exile Thassa before Agent becomes an issue (if you're in White).

Or you can win before they get to 7 mana (if you're in Red).

You can put Thassa to the bottom of the library in Green, too.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
People seem to be down on the Fires challenger deck, but I've had pretty good luck with it. Just search like hell for Fires and Sarkhan. It seems favorable against the Adventures deck and has good game against Mono R if you can get deafening clarion off in time (I punted one game by not sequencing land drops correctly). You can even mulligan correctly by looking at the opponent's sleeves. I don't think it has a shot against Flash but them's the breaks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/channelfireball/status/1243525163737583616?s=21

Jeskai Fires... always a bridesmaid and never a bride... until now!?

Edit: Shout out Mono-G stompy, a solidly T2 midrange deck forever that finally made time to hang with the big dogs.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 27, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm surprised Destiny Spinner doesn't appear in the monogreen. Blanket blocking counterspells on creaturesseems really strong for a deck like that even without a better-thank-normal staline for 2 mana?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

2/3 for 1G is average even in limited, it's certainly not exciting for constructed. There really aren't that many decks that care too much about the passive - control decks only run a few counterspells and care more about countering noncreature spells because creatures are generally easier to answer.

Teferi also tends to push creature counter decks out of the meta, and has a passive ability that makes Destiny Spinner's look embarassing by comparison.

The only place I could see playing it is in a constellation based deck if those ever take off.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

2/3 for 1G is average even in limited, it's certainly not exciting for constructed. There really aren't that many decks that care too much about the passive - control decks only run a few counterspells and care more about countering noncreature spells because creatures are generally easier to answer.

Teferi also tends to push creature counter decks out of the meta, and has a passive ability that makes Destiny Spinner's look embarassing by comparison.

The only place I could see playing it is in a constellation based deck if those ever take off.

Teferi isn't green.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
LOL I played against a Jeskai Fires deck last night in Brawl with Kenrith as the commander. I hate Fires lol.

I'm struggling with the Nissa Brawl deck. Here's my list.

Nissa, Who Shakes the World

Arboreal Grazer
Gilded Goose
Open the Gates
Pelt Collector
Veil of Summer
Ilysian Caryatid
Incubation Druid
Kenrith's Transformation
Leafkin Druid
Nissa's Triumph
Once Upon A Time
Paradise Druid
Return to Nature
District Guide
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
Omen of the Hunt
Yorvo
Heraldic Banner
Beast Whisperer
Circuitous Route
Guardian Project
Nylea, Keen-Eyed
Questing Beast
Renata
Shifting Ceratops
Vivien, Arkbow Ranger
Cavalier of Thorns
Overcome
Return of the Wildspeaker
Aggressive Mammoth
Feasting Troll King
Wakeroot Elemental
God-Pharaoh's Statue
Beanstalk Giant
Meteor Golem
End-Raze Forerunners
The Great Henge
Stonecoil Serpent
Voracious Hydra
19 Forest
Fabled Passage

Anything I should change? I'm not spending mythic WCs on the Ooze or God-Emperor.

Also I might just not know how to pilot it. I try to mull until I have some acceleration in my opening hand and then just try to get Nissa out and protect her, then drop huge creatures and trample people. Are there subtleties I'm missing or do I just suck (likely) or have I just gotten bad RNG?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Anything I should change? I'm not spending mythic WCs on the Ooze or God-Emperor.

Finale of devastation would be a good fit. It is a mythic but it will almost certainly win any game where you resolve it for X=10 or more (fetch end raze forerunners)

Also with that username you should really be running Thorn Mammoth

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 27, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL I played against a Jeskai Fires deck last night in Brawl with Kenrith as the commander. I hate Fires lol.

I'm struggling with the Nissa Brawl deck. Here's my list.

Nissa, Who Shakes the World

Arboreal Grazer
Gilded Goose
Open the Gates
Pelt Collector
Veil of Summer
Ilysian Caryatid
Incubation Druid
Kenrith's Transformation
Leafkin Druid
Nissa's Triumph
Once Upon A Time
Paradise Druid
Return to Nature
District Guide
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
Omen of the Hunt
Yorvo
Heraldic Banner
Beast Whisperer
Circuitous Route
Guardian Project
Nylea, Keen-Eyed
Questing Beast
Renata
Shifting Ceratops
Vivien, Arkbow Ranger
Cavalier of Thorns
Overcome
Return of the Wildspeaker
Aggressive Mammoth
Feasting Troll King
Wakeroot Elemental
God-Pharaoh's Statue
Beanstalk Giant
Meteor Golem
End-Raze Forerunners
The Great Henge
Stonecoil Serpent
Voracious Hydra
19 Forest
Fabled Passage

Also I might just not know how to pilot it. I try to mull until I have some acceleration in my opening hand and then just try to get Nissa out and protect her, then drop huge creatures and trample people. Are there subtleties I'm missing or do I just suck (likely) or have I just gotten bad RNG?

Some more removal couldn't hurt - rabid bite, warbriar blessing, Pheres-band Brawler etc.

ALso, Questig Beast. And the Statue is pretty bad why is it there?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Some more removal couldn't hurt - rabid bite, warbriar blessing, Pheres-band Brawler etc.

ALso, Questig Beast. And the Statue is pretty bad why is it there?

Beast is on the list but statue would be my first cut yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Man, that FNM event is the easiest 2 wins in 5 minutes I've ever had. Playing basic Simic Flash again felt like putting on an old comfy sweater, going back to a simpler time where Standard wasn't so simultaneously fun and horrible. I guess it helped that I played 2 Jeskai Fires lite decks one after the other, so it was an easy matchup.