Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gripweed posted:

It has Jar Jar's antics, but they are specifically shown as an exception to the otherwise stoic and brave fish people soldiers.

so what you're saying is, it's incongruous that their entire race isn't depicted as laughable idiots?

e: apologies for this terrible, terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

Gripweed posted:

It has Jar Jar's antics, but they are specifically shown as an exception to the otherwise stoic and brave fish people soldiers.

Gungan Soldier Stoically: "Ouch time."

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Broke: RedLetterMedia go on Chapo
Woke: Virgil and Matt go on Best of the Worst

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Watto is pretty bad, at least visually, as Jewish stereotype but the other accusations of racism are pretty wide from the mark imo. The Nemidonians are libertarian dupes, not inscrutable yellow peril masterminds and Jar-Jar is just a huge annoying idiot who pissed off his own people so much they chucked him out.

But yeah Watto, bit of a throwback in design.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
The main Trade Federation bad guys being named Lott Dodd and Newt Gunray is a legitimately good joke

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

miniscule12 posted:

The prequels are racist, but through cultural osmosis that is impossible to escape in our racist society. Best example of this being Mace Windu not being a human like Han Solo is human but a jungle alien,

I don't understand how people can say the prequels are good when it lacks fundamentals aspects of movie making such as characters or rising action.

once again I find myself asking if I could find the type of drugs the Expanded Universe/Legends people were taking when they came up with half the poo poo they made

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

multijoe posted:

Watto is pretty bad, at least visually, as Jewish stereotype but the other accusations of racism are pretty wide from the mark imo. The Nemidonians are libertarian dupes, not inscrutable yellow peril masterminds and Jar-Jar is just a huge annoying idiot who pissed off his own people so much they chucked him out.

matt voice: shutupshutup SHUT THE gently caress UP

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OctoberCountry posted:

So does this commentary ever get funny or interesting?

It's not very good. I don't understand how they did this episode without Virgil.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Virgil has gone silent, no tweets for days now :ohdear:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Virgil has gone silent, no tweets for days now :ohdear:

To be fair it's about as ripe of a time as there ever has been for a "digital detox"

Not that I'd know anything about that sort of thing from first hand experience

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

josh04 posted:

so what you're saying is, it's incongruous that their entire race isn't depicted as laughable idiots?

e: apologies for this terrible, terrible snipe

Do you not understand how movies work? A movie can establish a tone in a scene in many ways. The scene is depicted as a serious important battle, with Jar Jars antics being an intrusion. They could've made it clear that the battle itself was unimportant with background music, or having the Gungans surrender as soon as the droids made it past their shields, or a million other ways.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Uranium posted:

drat I need to see those two on botw right now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OctoberCountry posted:

The main Trade Federation bad guys being named Lott Dodd and Newt Gunray is a legitimately good joke

im pretty sure the phantom menace was written as a response to newt gingrich’s takeover of congress

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Dr Christmas posted:

What are you talking about? You can see the effects of the alien invasion in the Daredevil show, where Hell's Kitchen is less gentrified than the real world version!

It's also fun that the Punisher show, which tries to deal with the excesses of the War on Terror, never brings up the fact that Science Nazis have infiltrated the entire American military intelligence apparatus and tried to cull the population with fleet of flying death carriers.

Re: Phantom Menace, I think the only aliens that don't speak in either alien language or a racist accent are Yoda, Darth Maul, and the two-headed pod race announcer.

ya but one of the two headed pod race announcer's heads is voiced by gregg proops so this is equally as offensive as any racial stereotype

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Apoplexy posted:

I loving knew that dude would blow up eventually. Louis Theroux did a docu-special that featured, like, 2 minutes of the guy (it was mostly about the animals) but it was kinda off-handedly mentioned that he is he was in a gay 3-way relationship. I was like 'drat, this guy is way more interesting than just being a big cat guy'

it's not really a gay 3 way when 2 of them are straight as arrows unless meth is involved

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

So does this commentary ever get funny or interesting?

Matt, Will, and Chris were fun but Felix and Amber were not at their best here. The last 25 minutes of Felix being an annoying nephew and comparing everything to Halo is painful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Race Realists posted:

I remember years ago when I was still lurking when the second Bayformers movie came out on the Cinema Discusso forums people (the whitest most oblivious internet nerds imaginable) literally couldn't see anything racist about those two Comedy Relief bots

one of the mouthbreathers legit thought "it was a parody of rednecks!1!1!:downs:"

Yeah, those two dumb robots do use a lot of racist codings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Race Realists posted:

once again I find myself asking if I could find the type of drugs the Expanded Universe/Legends people were taking when they came up with half the poo poo they made

Mace Windu isn't a jungle alien, what the gently caress.

He's a human. Humans in Star Wars come from a huge variety of planets. Mace Windu comes from basically Space Vietnam, not Darkest Africa.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
"Is Watto Jewish" - the greatest thread in the history of forums,

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I mean, Luke is a blond white guy from Space Tunisia.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean, Luke is a blond white guy from Space Tunisia.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Zhulik posted:

"Is Watto Jewish" - the greatest thread in the history of forums,

SMG challenging someone to call Mace Windu the n-word remains the best SA star wars post

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

multijoe posted:

ahh!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
drat the Chapo crew for legitimizing loving more Star Wars talk on the forums

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

OctoberCountry posted:

SMG challenging someone to call Mace Windu the n-word remains the best post

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
chris reads the threads

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

papa horny michael posted:

chris reads the threads

Chris interrupt the podcast less.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Chris tell Adam's sister I said what's up

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

L-R: Will, Amber, Virgil (hard to see in the gutter), Chris, Watto Felix, Matt

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 27, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Rise of Skywalker is the worst Star Wars (holy poo poo how was that script greenlit)
I don't think the script has much to do with the finished product, which is part of why these megacorporate blockbusters are terrible.

Matt's movie opinions range from great to terrible. He was on point about Rise of Skywalker--it's an illustration of why it's impossible for megabudget franchise movies to be good. He's also right that Star Wars was a collaborative project and the capitalist system's need to assign authorship (i.e. ownership) to a single creator fucks poo poo up. Then, on Star Wars Minute, he went on an unhinged rant about how Star Wars sucks because there's still scarcity in the future. Like, what do you think he'd be saying if it was post-scarcity sci-fi and the conflicts had no material underpinning? You wanna talk about pure contrarianism, that's what it looks like. This is also the guy who said Zack Snyder has "an agenda to destroy" Batman, and no matter what you think of Snyder that's some incel reddit Gamergate rear end analysis.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The prequels are not just dumb and not good plot-wise, they are just terribly made. They push CGI way too hard for the time period, the pacing is horrific, the dialogue is godawful (Lucas manages to make very good actors very boring), etc.
"Bad prequel CGI" turns out to be practical effects so often that it's become a cliche in all the Star Wars threads.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's amazing how many people have internalized how the Prequels are supposedly racist when they're really not.
"Jar Jar is stupid and talks funny, you know, like a black guy! And Watto is greedy, and basically Anakin's abusive stepdad, and talks like Cheech Marin, you know, like a Jew."

Nikaer Drekin posted:

The only goal Rise of Skywalker seemed to have was, "Ugh, let's just wrap this poo poo up as quick as possible before anyone else gets mad at us.
TROS is best viewed as a Star Wars ripoff that just happens to be officially Star Wars and has an insane budget. It's more similar to Starcrash and Galaxy of Terror than it is to any other Star Wars film.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

"Jar Jar is stupid and talks funny, you know, like a black guy! And Watto is greedy, and basically Anakin's abusive stepdad, and talks like Cheech Marin, you know, like a Jew."

lol this is disingenuous as hell

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mace Windu isn't a jungle alien, what the gently caress.

He's a human. Humans in Star Wars come from a huge variety of planets. Mace Windu comes from basically Space Vietnam, not Darkest Africa.

What makes a human from a different planet the same as a human from courasant when "near-humans" like the pink bimbos exist.

I think this setting is dumb!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Recognizing a racist stereotype is itself racist, actually. You may not have understood this, being a racist yourself

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

nevermind i'm dumb

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad that people are enjoying the prequels again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The reason people keep arguing about the prequels and the Snyder DC films is that for all their flaws, and they are deeply flawed, they're much more interesting than the ugly beige hash that Disney usually puts out.

Apoplexy posted:

Thank you. They're loving entertainment/pop culture, they are NOT meant to be dissected as though they're some sort of... meaningful, deep, high art with ideology. They're fun. They aren't GoodFellas. If you want Kurosawa, watch Kurosawa's filmology. If you want to watch Thandos beat up the Adventures with the rainbow glove, you watch these.
If it's all just a fantasy, that just leaves us asking why it's this fantasy. Why is Thanos a Hard Man Making Hard Choices, killing half the universe so that there's enough to go around?

Apoplexy posted:

Did you... watch Captain America? Or Winter Soldier? Or Civil War? He's... literally anti-all those things. He tore down the Super CIA in spite of it only being a 'few bad apples' (lol 50ish% of the org) being deep-cover Hydra loyalists.
One of the weirdest things about the MCU is that it destroys Captain America. He just becomes this guy named Steve. Steve is a wacko libertarian who doesn't trust the government, because the government sometimes tells him he can't execute corporate-funded paramilitary actions wherever he wants. Tony is his boss, and their conflict in Civil War centers on Steve rejecting the legal cover Tony creates so that they can keep running a private army. Steve is also portrayed as this shy dude who's conflicted about his role and never addresses the public. And he's supposed to be Captain America!

Sephyr posted:

Those were the first Captain America comics I ever picked up by accident as a kid. Very much not what I expected. Villains featured right-wing militias brainwashing people into being model american citizens of the flag, mom and apple-pie 1950s variety. And at one point a jingoistic populist superhuman becomes popular enough to make Cap really depressed, and then actually takes over the name and costume.
And that right-wing militia (the Watchdogs) killed Republican Captain America's parents, prompting a change of heart. And it turned out the Watchdogs were secretly funded by the Red Skull. There was even a bit where they asked him for rayguns, and he turned them down because it was an astroturfing operation.

Mark Gruenwald kicked rear end.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uranium posted:

Bespoke: Rich Evans and Stavros do a Re:View of Porky's

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

OctoberCountry posted:

SMG challenging someone to call Mace Windu the n-word remains the best SA star wars post

Please tell me the entire story of this incredible sentence

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Heath posted:

Recognizing a racist stereotype is itself racist, actually. You may not have understood this, being a racist yourself

Nah, but seeing racist stereotypes where they're not and then melting down when it's pointed out is pretty weird.

It unironically says a lot about our society. We're so used to Hollywood movies being terrible at race and being full of racist stereotypes that all you need to trigger the mental response to one is an accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

Please tell me the entire story of this incredible sentence