Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The halberd is in Legends. It's one of the more interesting new weapons, even if it's a little on the overpowered side (basic attack is the Billhook attack but at +10 to hit, then it has a 1 tile smash like the 2h hammer that staggers). I like the idea of a pike-heavy combo that has different attacks at long and close range, but like most of Legends it's 'maybe an interesting idea, but also Bigger Numbers!'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Southpaugh posted:

Polemen, cheap and efficient.

I don't think I have ever seen a halberd in any of my playthroughs. The billhook isn't the premier polearm? I've literally never seen a halberd.

The warscythe is the premier polearm.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Night10194 posted:

The halberd is in Legends. It's one of the more interesting new weapons, even if it's a little on the overpowered side (basic attack is the Billhook attack but at +10 to hit, then it has a 1 tile smash like the 2h hammer that staggers). I like the idea of a pike-heavy combo that has different attacks at long and close range, but like most of Legends it's 'maybe an interesting idea, but also Bigger Numbers!'.

Ahhh, sounds cool.

The Lord Bude posted:

The warscythe is the premier polearm.

Yeah the three hex sweep is good, I've never wound up with enough of them to make full sure of them. Think I got a unique one late in a game once but that party was done.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Adding a proper South to the map should make the Barbarian start a little more interesting than only hanging out in the same 5 cities until the first crisis.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

Ahhh, sounds cool.

Yeah the three hex sweep is good, I've never wound up with enough of them to make full sure of them. Think I got a unique one late in a game once but that party was done.

This is why I always have undead as the first crisis. I have 5 of them in my peasant army - 3 straight polearm dudes with berserk; killing frenzy, crippling strikes and executioner; and my sergeant and off sergeant both have one.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Voyager I posted:

Adding a proper South to the map should make the Barbarian start a little more interesting than only hanging out in the same 5 cities until the first crisis.

Is the South going to be part of the main map, then? Or will it be an entirely new area? I'd been thinking of trying a gimmick playthrough where I travel the land only doing arena fights, and the former seems like it would really limit my options.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've been making a foreign merc shamshir fighter in legends anyway, so, really looking forward to this dlc

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Is the South going to be part of the main map, then? Or will it be an entirely new area? I'd been thinking of trying a gimmick playthrough where I travel the land only doing arena fights, and the former seems like it would really limit my options.

Well yeah, the desert will be placed on the current map, south of the current steppe tileset.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Armies of the City State II discussed in the most recent blog post.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-131-city-states-part-ii/

quote:

We’ve previously covered a good chunk of what the southern city states are about. Now it’s time to take a look at some of their troops that you may end up facing on the field of battle. Charge!

SLAVES
Whether born into slavery, made into a slave as punishment by law, or taken on a raid into foreign territory and sold to the highest bidder on a slave auction, it’s on the back of slaves like these that much of the economy of the city states is built. But slaves are not just cheap labor in peacetime, they’re also used as expendable troops in war.

Life is cheap in the south, as the saying goes, and nothing makes this harsh reality sink in better than how the city states treat their slaves. In battle, they’re usually send first against the enemy to tire out their lines before the real battle begins. They’re poorly armed, many just carrying tools used as improvised weapons, and rely on swarming, flanking and overwhelming the enemy. They have poor morale and flee easily, but killing or breaking them does not affect the morale of any city state troops that aren’t slaves themselves. In fact, the city state troops have no qualms about friendly fire when it comes to slaves, and they may seize the opportunity that slaves provide by locking down the enemy and fire their ranged weapons into the thick of battle.

CONSCRIPTS
Citizens of the great city states enjoy privileges that neither slaves nor outsiders do. For example, they have the opportunity to conduct business with the legal certainty of a codified law and can even hire legal council. In turn, they also have certain obligations to their state. Having to pay taxes is one such obligation, but another one for every adult male citizen is either mandatory military service or paying a hefty sum into the state’s coffers to be exempt. The council of Viziers may decide to conscript the citizens for the defense of the city state or for otherwise protecting and furthering the interests of the state. In practice, this can mean anything between border skirmishes with other states, doomed punitive expeditions deep into the deserts to hunt down raiders, and crushing slave rebellions.

Conscripts make up the bulk of the military force of the city states. They have received some military drill and are most often dressed in a distinct southern armor made of several layers of linen, called a Linothorax, that is relatively cheap to produce. If they don’t have access to helmets, they choose to wrap cloth around their heads to protect against the sun. The color and patterns of these head wraps are often linked to a particular region of the south, and one familiar would know what place a southern conscript calls home by his headwear alone. Just before battle lines clash, Conscripts employ a unique weapon of the city states. It’s one reason why they are a military power to be reckoned with, and you’ll learn about next week in detail!

OFFICERS
Officers of the city states are mostly made up of the wealthy who would have enough funds to buy themselves free of conscription, but seek a career commanding troops in the military by their own volition. A victorious commander will accrue influence and gravitas, and some Officers may consider the army but a stepping stone in a fledgling political career.

Considerably better armed than Conscripts, Officers carry finely crafted mail and lamellar armor with intricate southern ornaments into battle. Naturally, all armors can also be bought, looted and worn by your own men in the game!

ASSASSINS
Members of a secretive ritualistic cult, Assassins deal in death and provide murder as a service. They have no political ambition beyond the continued survival of their cult and that of their warped philosophy, and so act only in service to other parties, like individual city states. They’re not encountered roaming on the world map, but exclusively as part of contracts and events.

In battle, Assassins wear traditional black robes over finely crafted mail. Many also choose to exchange their own face for that of their master and founder of their cult, the old man on the mountain, by wearing metal face masks. Assassins have a nimble combat style and employ a variety of alchemical contraptions like Flash Pots and Smoke Pots to daze their opponents and move freely between them, only to then use a Qatal Dagger for greater impact on their debilitated victims.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I'm guessing either a new throwing weapon or war scythes for the conscripts.

Also there are going to be new events where your men can be sold or captured into slavery.

Or Greek fire grenades.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 20, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Everything about this expansion I like except the ifrit who are a pile of rocks.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
What are rocks but extremely slow moving smoke?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Based on the equipment they're using in the blog photos, I'm foreseeing a lot of "hunt down runaway/rebelling slaves" contracts for early-game southern companies.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

those missions had better have an alternative 'help slaves to escape' ending or I will post angrily about it on the internet

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Fool posted:

those missions had better have an alternative 'help slaves to escape' ending or I will post angrily about it on the internet

:same: but tbh it will probably end up just being the case that if you don't want to kill slaves you don't take the contract

alternatively, get paid up front, cancel the contract, tell slavers to gently caress off

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If they're gonna have slaves in my video game, there better be options to play as a slave rebellion or generally gently caress with the slavers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Voyager I posted:

If they're gonna have slaves in my video game, there better be options to play as a slave rebellion or generally gently caress with the slavers.

Slave rebellion/escaped slaves should absolutely be a company origin.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Donkringel posted:

Or Greek fire grenades.

They already mentioned the grenades and war scythes. They're being coy because it's a new thing.

I am guessing early firearms.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Presumably there will be nothing to actually stop the enterprising mercenary leader from attacking every slave caravan and murdering the slavers and guards.

As a bonus it will probably prompt them to send increasingly large armies after you, Deliveroo style.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I get that they want visual variety, but linthoraxes are a weird choice for the conscripts when they were exclusively used in the classical period to the best of my knowledge.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Donkringel posted:

Also there are going to be new events where your men can be sold or captured into slavery.

Or Greek fire grenades.

They're inspired by Turkish Janissaries I think; so I'm actually going to go with firearms.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

JustaDamnFool posted:

I get that they want visual variety, but linthoraxes are a weird choice for the conscripts when they were exclusively used in the classical period to the best of my knowledge.

They do at least fit the climate: much, much cooler to fight in, compared to metal.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Early firearms would make sense given the influence and the fact that they've already revealed explosive devices like grenades.

Kinda curious as to what direction they're gonna take them design-wise though. The obvious would be some kind of super-AP crossbow analogue (or maybe a once-per battle item if we're talking primitive enough), but making the hot new item have that much mechanical overlap with pre-existing equipment would be a bit of a squandered opportunity and the last thing the game needs is more ways for experienced brothers to instantly die, so I'm hoping they'll go a different direction with it instead of just having Man With Arbalest be supplanted by Man With Arquebus in our nightmares.

Maybe something involving resolve checks when being fired on?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah some kind of double damage or 100% AP, two turn reload is my thinking, with only a 3-4 tile range.

That being said, losing superbros to a bunch of assholes with muskets because you can’t kill 8 of them in time will probably be my least favorite new mechanic. Also might make bone shoulders mandatory.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It'd be kind of interesting if instead of huge through-armor damage, a gunshot did huge armor damage. Like a short-ranged ranged equivalent of a hammer.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hey, who guessed guns? You were dead right.

GUNPOWDER WEAPONS

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-132-gunpowder-weapons/

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hey, who guessed guns? You were dead right.

GUNPOWDER WEAPONS

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-132-gunpowder-weapons/

lol "Handgonne"

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
So, who'll be worse: man with flamethrower, or man with shotgun?

Aside, just retired a company, and one of the brothers mentioned in the epilogue was a thief - described as doing a perfect heist on some nobleman's vault.
Said thief was my melon mugger.
Oookay.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Neither of them are "Man who shoots your best bro in the eye for 100 damage through armor" so I'm already pretty cool with the direction they're taking them, though guaranteed AoE templates are gonna be an absolute bear to fight against if their damage output is even vaguely respectable. At least if they have short range and high AP costs you might have a chance of focusing them down early.

Gonna be kinda tragic watching a conscript unload these things into a pile of their own men though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kidkissinger posted:

lol "Handgonne"

If Wikipedia's to be believed, that's what they were actually called.

Also hoping for super-cool named versions of these weapons :allears:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

CommissarMega posted:

If Wikipedia's to be believed, that's what they were actually called.

Also hoping for super-cool named versions of these weapons :allears:

it just sounds like the word for when one misfires, not the weapon itself

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
On a different note: what are your general priorities for armor attachments? Battle Forged means, mathematically at least, that there's no diminishing returns on armor value and the next point is always better than the last. However, in a practical sense, once I'm getting into Sellswords+ territory I'm less worried about getting chipped away by small attacks and more concerned about the big hitters that no amounts of armor can really protect you from, like Chosen and Lindwurms, which makes me think Bone Plating might be a higher priority instead. On Nimble dudes like Archers who won't wear more than medium armor and don't take Battle Forged, I've been rolling Bone Plating as the standard option.

(Too bad Bone Plating can't protect your face).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Voyager I posted:

On a different note: what are your general priorities for armor attachments? Battle Forged means, mathematically at least, that there's no diminishing returns on armor value and the next point is always better than the last. However, in a practical sense, once I'm getting into Sellswords+ territory I'm less worried about getting chipped away by small attacks and more concerned about the big hitters that no amounts of armor can really protect you from, like Chosen and Lindwurms, which makes me think Bone Plating might be a higher priority instead. On Nimble dudes like Archers who won't wear more than medium armor and don't take Battle Forged, I've been rolling Bone Plating as the standard option.

Direwolf mantles early on because the morale damage to raiders, Orcs and barbarians is respectable (and morale shocks shortens those fights considerably), lindwurm capes and bone plating later on. I like lindwurm as much as bone plating because it’s 40 for 2 fatigue and cancels lindwurm spit, meaning a guy with a cape attachment and one of the lindwurm helmets can tank lindwurms okay while still attacking.

Heraldic plaudrons or whatever are good when you get them as treasure, I never pay for those or any others tho.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 27, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Ranged damage cloaks are mainly helpful for goblin cities or large goblin encampments. Not too useful otherwise.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I'm not generally interested in the more niche ones unless we're talking about some hypothetical 400 day campaign where I have spare sets of endgame armor lying around with different attachments for specific encounters.

In terms of armor stacking, light padding comes out mathematically ahead of +40 attachments unless you don't care about fatigue, but they're still accomplishing the same goal of maximizing your raw armor total.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Voyager I posted:

In terms of armor stacking, light padding comes out mathematically ahead of +40 attachments unless you don't care about fatigue, but they're still accomplishing the same goal of maximizing your raw armor total.

Heavier armor is way more expensive though and I'll always be trying to max my armor as much as possible. Maybe I'll use light padding for lamellar or fallen knight stuff because ratios are terrible.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Bone plating on all front liners, unless they don't have enough stamina to comfortably wear the heaviest armour, in which case the spiderweb padding that reduces stamina requirements of armour.

Fur cloaks on archers to reduce damage from ranged attacks. Melee back liners could go either way cloaks or bone plate.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

always strip the recruit naked to check the unmodified stat.

Battle Brothers: Always strip the recruit naked

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Battle Brothers: Always strip the recruit naked

Hazing rituals are a time honoured tradition of military forces. It helps build camaraderie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This week, handgonnes and mortars!

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-133-city-states-part-iii/