Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

grill youre saelf posted:

Looking for a game where i can build/manufacture/gather a good and sell it. The catch is I want to "corner" a market. or i want the quality of my good to be superior everyone wants to buy my good.

Games I've played a lot of:
Rimworld: it was fun making statues and stuff but there isn't really an economy like I want

Victoria 2: too large scale. To really corner a market youd have to play a huge country with colonies and im not a fan of that

Unrealworld: fan of the genre, but the lack of reactive economy isn't scratching the itch.

Stardew valley: put a lot of hours in this and loved it but the prices never change!

I've dabbled in a lot of games, but nothing really hooked me. Please help! Pc only

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573490/Interstellar_Transport_Company/

Haven't picked this up yet but it is literally about conquering a market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Looking for a game where i can build/manufacture/gather a good and sell it. The catch is I want to "corner" a market. or i want the quality of my good to be superior everyone wants to buy my good.

Rimworld: it was fun making statues and stuff but there isn't really an economy like I want

Victoria 2: too large scale. To really corner a market youd have to play a huge country with colonies and im not a fan of that

Unrealworld: fan of the genre, but the lack of reactive economy isn't scratching the itch.

Stardew valley: put a lot of hours in this and loved it but the prices never change!

I've dabbled in a lot of games, but nothing really hooked me. Please help! Pc only

Patrician IV lets you buy out all the manufacturing businesses and then engage in price fixing.

The Guild is really good for manufacturing, too, but it's older, and Guild 2 was not quite the same, and Guild 3 is kind of etherware at the moment, which is a real shame.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rise of Industry could work, although I'm not sure if you can corner the market.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I really like card based combat. Slay The Spire, Fate Hunters, Deep Sky Derelicts, etc.

Are there other good ones I should look at?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I really like card based combat. Slay The Spire, Fate Hunters, Deep Sky Derelicts, etc.

Griftlands.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Big Pharma fits the bill for all you parameters, except sometimes making the best product that does exactly what everybody wants could destroy your profitability for dystopia reasons.

Other than that, all I can think of is Game Developer Story, which is a lot more shallow.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ironclad Tactics
Card Hunter
Guild of Dungeoneering

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks! Bonus points if any of them are on mobile!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Have you tried dicey dungeons yet? It might be similar enough to fit the bill. The music is phenomenal, the runs are short (never had anything over 30 minutes), the characters are very varied, the gameplay is challenging, and the humor is decent enough.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Steamworld Quest should be exactly what you're looking for.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Slime Rancher has prices that change, but it's more like the prices just go down if you sell a lot of one item and go back up over time. The market reacts to you, but there's no direct competition with other businesses. Not sure if that was the important part.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Arabian Jesus posted:

Are there any sport simulation games that my friends and I can play online together?

Alternatively, can you guys recommend any games that a group of guys with different schedules could play together online?

Have you checked out the Frozen Synapse games? It's a tactical game where you control a squad of androids with random (but symmetrical) load outs on random maps, which can be played entirely asynchronously if desired. I've played a game with a friend over several days at one point.

Edit: Sorry, missed the part where you said group of guys, afaik Frozen Synapse is only two players, but I haven't dug too deep into the second one yet.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I will take this opportunity to plug Thea: The Awakening which has it's own style of card combat.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thanks! Bonus points if any of them are on mobile!

Age Of Rivals

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions! Going to try rise of industry and offworld trading company. The guild might be the closest thing that im looking for but i bounced off of it a couple years ago. I'll try again

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Chamale posted:

I did a season of Out Of The Park Baseball with my friends. We drafted teams of any player from history, then I simulated the season in two-week chunks and gave everyone a weekly update. So my friends didn't need to be online to play, but they could set lineups and pitching rotations for their teams. I had Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds, but I got swept in the World Series by the guy who picked a team of postseason superstars like Sandy Koufax and Mariano Rivera.

The same developer has a hockey management simulator, I haven't played it but I assume it also has an "import historical player" option.

This sounds fun; thanks for the recommendation :)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pipski posted:

Age Of Rivals

This game rules, thanks

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

I haven't played Production Line since very early on in its development, but I believe it has the competitive market you're looking for.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Any recommendations for asynchronous party/multiplayer games for Android or that are web based? My wife's family want to play something together. They are not gamers, however. They most complex thing they've tackled is ticket to ride.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I could use a recommendation for 3-player multiplayer co-op, for laptops not built for gaming (lenovo-types).

I'm thinking maybe broforce, monaco: what's yours is mine and/or maybe factorio if my desktop is the host? Any other recommendations?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's always Worms. I think Worms: Reloaded is the current recommendation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
worms reloaded is good, but you could always play it safe performance-wise and pick up Worms Armageddon, which is ancient but still rock solid. just...maybe avoid some of the more racist caricature voice packs like the japanese kamikaze guys and such.

double nine posted:

I could use a recommendation for 3-player multiplayer co-op, for laptops not built for gaming (lenovo-types).

I'm thinking maybe broforce, monaco: what's yours is mine and/or maybe factorio if my desktop is the host? Any other recommendations?
Trine, perhaps? not sure exactly how weak a computer a lenovo laptop is, but trine came out 11 years ago, so hopefully it could run fairly well. it's a three-player co-op game where you each take control of a different character archetype to solve puzzles to progress.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

double nine posted:

This just came out: Mother Russia Bleeds

I haven't played it yet, but its also on the Game Pass

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

heads up that mother russia bleeds uses queerphobia as background shock horror if you or your buds care about that kinda thing

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1006015110169624577

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
What's the best single player first person shooter right now that I can buy at a fairly heavy discount?

I know Doom Eternal is all the rage, but I really don't want to drop $50-60. I'm looking for something that isn't completely on rails and has some choice in builds, direction, items, etc., but also has more going for it than death matches with bots.

Something like Prey? I don't know. Please help, Goon Collective.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm looking at PC - generally speaking, except for things that don't require precising aiming like the Dark Souls games, I've never been able to manage FPS games on a console controller.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 30, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

What's the best single player first person shooter right now that I can buy at a fairly heavy discount?

I know Doom Eternal is all the rage, but I really don't want to drop $50-60. I'm looking for something that isn't completely on rails and has some choice in builds, direction, items, etc., but is also has more going for it than death matches with bots.

Something like Prey? I don't know. Please help, Goon Collective.

That is an extremely Prey description, yes

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Coming off a Darksiders binge, again (You all should play all the Darksiders). Want something hack and slashy and good. With world and secrets, RPG elements is a plus.

Bounced off Dark Souls Remastered when I got cursed by a rat in the sewers and the only way to remove it was to run all the way there and maybe not even then. Otherwise DS was pretty fine.

Have played:
Nier Automata
Middle Earth: Shadow of...
All the 0451 games again and again
All the Riddick
First 2 batmans
rear end Creed up to Rogue but I'm a bit burned out on that for now
All the Dragon Age
All the Mass Effect

Playing on PC but preferably with controller.

Muchos gracias!

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Dragons loving Dogma

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Coming off a Darksiders binge, again (You all should play all the Darksiders). Want something hack and slashy and good. With world and secrets, RPG elements is a plus.

Bounced off Dark Souls Remastered when I got cursed by a rat in the sewers and the only way to remove it was to run all the way there and maybe not even then. Otherwise DS was pretty fine.

Have played:
Nier Automata
All the Riddick
First 2 batmans
All the Dragon Age
All the Mass Effect

Muchos gracias!

Have you played any Dynasty Warriors or similar musou games? They're generally not open world but the hack n slash is amaaazing

Also: Dragon's Dogma. Witcher 3.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Have played:
Nier Automata
All the Riddick
First 2 batmans
All the Dragon Age
All the Mass Effect

Muchos gracias!

Hollow Knight

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Witcher 3 most definitely

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I will say, if you're burned out on the style of earlier Assassin's Creed, Origins and Odyssey are still good moves. On top of the (improved) stealth/parkour/assassination systems, they've put in a proper combat system with dodging/blocking and a variety of attacks and all that good stuff, with RPG gearing, a skill tree, and proper questing, so they're basically just open world RPGs. Odyssey's the better one but Origins is still well worth playing if you're at all interested in the setting or just more of that style of game.

Otherwise yeah Witcher 3 is definitely the bet game you haven't mentioned.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

I will say, if you're burned out on the style of earlier Assassin's Creed, Origins and Odyssey are still good moves. On top of the (improved) stealth/parkour/assassination systems, they've put in a proper combat system with dodging/blocking and a variety of attacks and all that good stuff, with RPG gearing, a skill tree, and proper questing, so they're basically just open world RPGs. Odyssey's the better one but Origins is still well worth playing if you're at all interested in the setting or just more of that style of game.

Otherwise yeah Witcher 3 is definitely the bet game you haven't mentioned.

Origins has the prettiest video game landscape I've ever seen. Like holy moly, it's like I got in a time machine and went back to that era of Egyptian history. Even if the gameplay were trash (which it isn't, thank god) I'd still rec it because my god.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

StrixNebulosa posted:

Origins has the prettiest video game landscape I've ever seen. Like holy moly, it's like I got in a time machine and went back to that era of Egyptian history. Even if the gameplay were trash (which it isn't, thank god) I'd still rec it because my god.

For sure, I think on most measures Odyssey is probably better, but I absolutely fell in love with Origins. It's Egypt, both the historical parts and the mystic bullshit parts, are wonderfully designed. I took way more screenshots of it than I ever have of any other game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I sunk deep into Odyssey, but after a point the trash randomly generated sidequests ground me down. Do they have those in Origin?

Origin's setting sounded kinda lame to me. I don't really know much about ancient egypt, but I do know that the period they set it in was long after all the famous monuments were built and abandoned, leaving only ruins, the nation ruled by a greek family and well on its way to falling under Roman influence and losing independence for the next thousand or so years to be just a possession of far greater empires.

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I'd recommend going back to Dark Souls at some point, but I'd also like to suggest The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It takes a fair amount of influence from Mass Effect 2, and it's a nice game, even if you can see the scars from its development hell. There's also Sleeping Dogs if you haven't checked that out, probably the best city-based open world, and it still manages to have a fun combat system that isn't totally taken over by gunplay.

Also there's Bastion. It's not a big huge open world, and it's not full-3D, just isometric, but it still feels deep, and it's one of my favorite games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I sunk deep into Odyssey, but after a point the trash randomly generated sidequests ground me down. Do they have those in Origin?

Origin's setting sounded kinda lame to me. I don't really know much about ancient egypt, but I do know that the period they set it in was long after all the famous monuments were built and abandoned, leaving only ruins, the nation ruled by a greek family and well on its way to falling under Roman influence and losing independence for the next thousand or so years to be just a possession of far greater empires.

So far I haven't seen any randomly generated sidequests in Origins except for "random player died here, avenge them?" stuff, which is ignorable. The last quest I did a few days ago was killing a child slavery ring and it has a surprising amount of dialogue plus an investigation sequence.

The setting is Egypt in decline, but that's still fascinating. You explore the ruins, you visit the still-populated temples and cities, you help out a ton of egyptians as your wife tries to involve you in the asscreed plot to team up with cleopatra to kill king ptolemy or some bullshit I'm ignoring. Most of the major targets so far have been corrupt egyptians, and there was a cool shootout in one of the big pyramids.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's one traveling boy merchant who gives you completely optional procgen quests.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's also Sleeping Dogs if you haven't checked that out, probably the best city-based open world

That's a weird way of spelling saints row 3.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Horn posted:

That's a weird way of spelling saints row 3.

weird way to miss a number - i think you meant saints row 2.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if by "Saints," you mean "X"

and by "Row" you mean "COM"

and by "2" you mean "2"

and by "city-based open world" you mean "an entirely separate and unrelated genre"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
I thank you all for your suggestions. Forgot to mention Witcher 3 which I've done. Dragon's Dogma sounds like a wonderful quarantine rabbit hole to plunge in to. Also Saints Row which I haven't tried yet. And maybe also the new rear end Creeds.

Now I have a plan when I'm done with this replay of WH40K Spess Mahrine.