Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My first run of ONI has basically stalled, and I think everyone will die soon. After action report:

Didn't realise there was a "scrub liquids" button, so when my base got coated with polluted water from sick dupes, I replaced all the floors with grates, and carved out gutters below the room. The result was disgusting.

Had no idea rooms even existed, so my entire base is one continuous space.

Overall by day 19 I'm living a foot above open air cess pits, and if anything goes wrong it'll go wrong everywhere.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

My first run of ONI has basically stalled, and I think everyone will die soon. After action report:

Didn't realise there was a "scrub liquids" button, so when my base got coated with polluted water from sick dupes, I replaced all the floors with grates, and carved out gutters below the room. The result was disgusting.

Had no idea rooms even existed, so my entire base is one continuous space.

Overall by day 19 I'm living in a foot above open air cess pits, and if anything goes wrong it'll go wrong everywhere.

I think there's material for the next 14 thread titles in this post alone.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
the mod that makes airlocks airtight is my current favorite mod.

maybe more than quality of life, but it helps keep my building areas tidy and clean looking

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Xenoborg posted:

I'm a big fan of:
Deselect New Materials
Make it so when new items are discovered, storage boxes with everything in that category checked don't automatically add it. Bleach stone getting put into your Coal store anyone?

Sweep By Type
Give filters to the sweep command.

Favorites Category
Duplicates designated in the materials list. Helps keep track of important ones like coal or algae.

Show Building Ranges
Shows the active ranges of buildings in the build preview and when selected.

Nektu posted:

What xenoborg said, and:

Drag Tool Area - Shows the number of tiles that are covered by the current selection. For making rooms without maths.
Wounded go to Med Bed - Dupes will automatically get assigned to a med bed if they are injured.
Pliers - Allows you to separate utility grids without deconstructing them.
Wrangle Fliers - The critter trap does not work for flying critters and uuugh, gently caress that shine bug that got into your dormitory
Build over Plants - YES Please
Plan Buildings without Materials - Allows you to plop down building sites even if you dont have enough materials currently in storage
Geyser Calculated Average Output - Adds the information that you actually want to know to the tooltip.
Claustrophobia - Stuck Duplicant Alert - So you can get them out BEFORE they die
CustomTemperatureOverlay - a finer grained temperature overlay (esp. useful for the extreme temperatures)
GasOverlay - More distinguishable colors for the different gasses
Bigger Building Menu - Use that screenspace (if you have it)
Zoom out mod - yea, get it. If only to make screenshots of your megabase.

Interesting if you really want to know:
Thermal Tooltips - because googleing the specific heat capacity is just not fun
Food supply tooltips - Adds the calories that the animal/plant can provide per cycle given the current circumstances

One More:
Chained Destruction - destroys ladders in a chain all at once instead of one at a time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mister No posted:

the mod that makes airlocks airtight is my current favorite mod.

maybe more than quality of life, but it helps keep my building areas tidy and clean looking
This is possibly tied with Piped Output for me. Liquid locks shouldn't be necessary.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
does anyone have a compact and not overly complicated Drecko ranch design? I need exosuits, but I don't have enough polluted water to grow thimble reed (on Badlands rn so I don't have slime biomes) and my carbon skimmer ate all the co2 and gave me less than a ton of ph20.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mister No posted:

does anyone have a compact and not overly complicated Drecko ranch design? I need exosuits, but I don't have enough polluted water to grow thimble reed (on Badlands rn so I don't have slime biomes) and my carbon skimmer ate all the co2 and gave me less than a ton of ph20.

Where does your pee go?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
cursed_comments.txt material right there

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

socialsecurity posted:

Where does your pee go?

into a water sieve and then a reservoir. i don't know why, but i didn't even think of that.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Grow your reeds inside a farm with Farmers Touch. It helps a lot.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Your bathroom water flow should always be a closed loop with a bit of surplus. Since it will have germs in it either way, it's best to bridge off the excess polluted water to plants. That's how I always bootstrap reeds.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
oh god oh god

my original plan was going to have exosuit stations outside the bedrooms to have all the dupes do everything in suits, but i decided against it for one reason or another. probably aesthetics. anyhow, i deconstructed all 10 of the suitless, but oxygen filled docks, and it turns out that oxygen doesn't disappear! the little room i had the docks in is currently filled with 7kg/square oxygen and the surrounding rooms about half that, popping ear drums everytime they go to bed and wake up.

gonna reload and just do my original exosuit base idea.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Mister No posted:

I use this one or a variation based on it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/ba5787/some_ranching_designs_made_possible_by_the_qol/

There is a good pacu and hatch ranch there too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whoa. Via that guide I found this:

https://imgur.com/fpVhTRJ

Turns out if you leave room for hatches to burrow they don't care how cramped they get.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Edit: This is a later glossy farm that uses suits sorry, but its a lovely simple early design I found on the net the once and can't refind the original. Works lovely tho.

Top area breeds them and keeps them happy, extra eggs get shipped to bottom where they get 1 or 2 shears after hatching before they die and become BBQ. The trick is - hunger doesn't stop scale growth! I'm up to 35 tons of plastic from it in 150 cycles.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 27, 2020

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
this game is so insidious in that a lot of times i spend a ton of time trying to solve a problem that i forgot i solved previously. ended up getting enough pH2O from toilets and polluted ice, got my suits built and just spent some amount of minutes building a drecko ranch to get reed fiber... that i don't need anymore.

not a complete loss, because i can use it for plastic but this is a recurring theme.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ah sorry - misread, the post. Pre-suits you need something like the mk 1 drecko suite:

The top tile was for a wheezewort as I was getting heat issues killing the mealwood. Just fill some canisters from whatever pockets of hydrogen you find to fill the top area. and you should get a whole bunch of fibre before they go glossy

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
So do you guys keep 1 smart battery per generator, and the rest of the batteries are regular jumbos, and you let the smart one control the generator?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Two smart batteries. One is on the generator side of the transformer and controls the generators, the other is on the main heaviwatt trunk and controls the transformer. That way you can use renewable power or fuels that tend to overflow before stuff like coal.

I don't see any good reason to hook up jumbo batteries to the main network at all. They're a really low-efficiency way of storing power.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 28, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, most people if they need bulk power will just hook up more smart batteries because the power loss to heat is so dramatically different between the two. That being said, jumbos are still better on a heat loss standpoint than standard batteries.

Anyways just discovered something I felt I should share. Sweepy is perhaps the most powerful/cheap heat deletion tool since the classic water sieve. Any item Sweepy picks up has its temperature set to 19.9C. Note: does not work with liquids...but DOES work with liquid bottles.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shumagorath posted:

This is possibly tied with Piped Output for me. Liquid locks shouldn't be necessary.

So I had been using this and a few other mods, including the impermeable airlock doors mod, before the most recent patch (awhile ago, can't remember how long) and when that patch dropped all those mods were flagged as out of version and haven't updated.

Is there some trick I need to perform in order to get them to work?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Piped Output is still working for me, but I only just started a new game. There's also a mod to force other mods to manually update - guessing that's a Unity issue.

Alkydere posted:

Anyways just discovered something I felt I should share. Sweepy is perhaps the most powerful/cheap heat deletion tool since the classic water sieve. Any item Sweepy picks up has its temperature set to 19.9C. Note: does not work with liquids...but DOES work with liquid bottles.
:aaa:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, most people if they need bulk power will just hook up more smart batteries because the power loss to heat is so dramatically different between the two. That being said, jumbos are still better on a heat loss standpoint than standard batteries.

I generally roll with exactly one smart battery per type of generator (so they can have different thresholds set so more-renewable power sources get consumed first) and nothing more. Until you start setting up solar panels, there's not much of a reason to bank a bunch of electricity. It's better to keep your power stored as fuel so you aren't gradually bleeding it off.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Alkydere posted:

Well, gently caress, I was going to use them to clean up the meteor debris so I can use the high residual heat to power a turbine, and cool it down further before introduction inside. This cuts out the middle machine entirely! :mad:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Is there a way to resalinate fresh water into salt water? I never did get an answer to that.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

Is there a way to resalinate fresh water into salt water? I never did get an answer to that.

No. You would need a mod for that.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Why do you want salt water specifically? I can't think of anything it does that polluted water doesn't once you've desalinated it.

Storing power as fuel instead of charge is indeed a wise move but I still like having battery banks for geyser power to go somewhere rather than over-pressurizing. This is probably unique to Piped Output because I can do stuff like having oil wells venting continuously.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Smiling Demon posted:

No. You would need a mod for that.

Ah. I was pondering what you use a chlorine vent for, because the main uses for chlorine, sterilization chambers and balm lily farms, do not actually consume chlorine outside of leaks. The possible long-term uses seem to be:

- Feeding saltvines to get salt, for crushing into table salt or refining rust (which is a limited resource anyway). Sustainable salt is also a sustainable source of sand but there are simpler ways to do that if you're somehow running out of sand. All of this is a lot more hassle than using a salt water geyser for the same thing, though.
- Squeaky Puft ranching, for food and for bleach stone for hand sanitizers and waterweed. Waterweed isn't sustainable without a salt water geyser though.
- Gassy moo/gas grass farming, to (apparently very inefficiently?) turn supercooling into natural gas (or compost I suppose). This doesn't lead to extra food though.

Shumagorath posted:

Why do you want salt water specifically? I can't think of anything it does that polluted water doesn't once you've desalinated it.

Waterweed. If you could resalinate water, you could feed both things waterweeds need using a chlorine vent, squeaky pufts, and any renewable water source.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 28, 2020

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Alkydere posted:

Hahah, there is no way that's staying in the game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

User0015 posted:

Hahah, there is no way that's staying in the game.

Oh yeah, people are already figuring out obscene things they can do with Sweepies because of it.

I'm half tempted to go on an arid or oasis map and see how well I can do using a Sweepy army to contain and manage heat before they change it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

No way is that sweepy poo poo staying in the game. I've finally expanded into the space biome though, and I'm thinking even without the heat deletion he'd be great for grabbing the metals from the meteors.

And goddamn, rockets are tricky as poo poo. Took me forever to figure out how to fuel and launch one of those things, especially since it says you don't have the range to get anywhere until you've fueled the drat thing. Finally got a couple steam rockets off though, now I need to figure out how to boil petroleum for the next level. I haven't had to mess with it yet, as my map seed has 3 hydrogen vents plus an amazing hot water vent for my SPOM so I have hydrogen to spare.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

seaborgium posted:

No way is that sweepy poo poo staying in the game. I've finally expanded into the space biome though, and I'm thinking even without the heat deletion he'd be great for grabbing the metals from the meteors.

And goddamn, rockets are tricky as poo poo. Took me forever to figure out how to fuel and launch one of those things, especially since it says you don't have the range to get anywhere until you've fueled the drat thing. Finally got a couple steam rockets off though, now I need to figure out how to boil petroleum for the next level. I haven't had to mess with it yet, as my map seed has 3 hydrogen vents plus an amazing hot water vent for my SPOM so I have hydrogen to spare.

Petroleum rockets are really just an intermediate step on the way to the "real" fuel that is liquid hydrogen, so you don't need to build a perfectly efficient petroleum boiler to fuel them. You can just make do with oil refineries and their 50% efficiency.

Also, unless you want to put up with a lot of fiddly incremental fueling of rockets to try to figure out their range, I'd recommend using a range calculator like https://oni-assistant.com/tools/rocketcalculator

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Triarii posted:

Petroleum rockets are really just an intermediate step on the way to the "real" fuel that is liquid hydrogen, so you don't need to build a perfectly efficient petroleum boiler to fuel them. You can just make do with oil refineries and their 50% efficiency.

Also, unless you want to put up with a lot of fiddly incremental fueling of rockets to try to figure out their range, I'd recommend using a range calculator like https://oni-assistant.com/tools/rocketcalculator

Ahh, I might just do the oil refinery then.

And I was using that tool, I was just confused how the tooltip on the command module says it doesn't have the range until you put gas in. It's one thing to think you can't make it because there's no gas, and a whole other to think you can't make it because you have one too many modules on there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is the only way to unload Sweepy putting an open (not marked "sweep only") bin next to his dock?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the best way to heat up Rime, stat? Spaceheaters are basically kilns that don't give you anything back for the coal consumed, and I'm racing to hatch ranching just to have a viable food source now that mealwood has failed after maybe two harvests. I went for plumbed bathrooms and immediately had pipes start breaking, but so far I'm ahead of that.

I'm playing on https://toolsnotincluded.net/map-tools/map-browser/map/243690 but can't see the cool steam vent below me yet. I'm thinking race down, crack it open and start electrolyzing the water to have 70ºC oxygen flood my base. gently caress it, maybe I'll open the gold volcano too.

Edit: Ahaha how could I forget my old friend Liquid Tepidizer. HAIL SATAN :black101:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 28, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you luck out and get a nearby steam/cool steam vent, pipe the liquid into an open handpump tank in the center of the map. 3 tiles high, 3 tiles wide, giving room for one output valve and a hand pump.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

What's the best way to heat up Rime, stat? Spaceheaters are basically kilns that don't give you anything back for the coal consumed, and I'm racing to hatch ranching just to have a viable food source now that mealwood has failed after maybe two harvests. I went for plumbed bathrooms and immediately had pipes start breaking, but so far I'm ahead of that.

I'm playing on https://toolsnotincluded.net/map-tools/map-browser/map/243690 but can't see the cool steam vent below me yet. I'm thinking race down, crack it open and start electrolyzing the water to have 70ºC oxygen flood my base. gently caress it, maybe I'll open the gold volcano too.

Edit: Ahaha how could I forget my old friend Liquid Tepidizer. HAIL SATAN :black101:

Doesn't O2 come out of the electrolyzer at 70 degrees if you start below 70 degrees? That cool slush geyser might be easier to get at right away and actually handle, though you'd need a sieve to clean it up. On the plus side there's a natural gas generator near it and those are fairly easy to tap/exploit that you could run the sieve with.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Try using a metal refinery to heat up your base. I just put a big pipe loop around the coldest areas, let the water cycle until it's ~10C, then pipe it back into the refinery.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

zeekner posted:

Try using a metal refinery to heat up your base. I just put a big pipe loop around the coldest areas, let the water cycle until it's ~10C, then pipe it back into the refinery.
But I think OP is in the early game, if they're still worrying about getting food from meal lice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

seaborgium posted:

Doesn't O2 come out of the electrolyzer at 70 degrees if you start below 70 degrees? That cool slush geyser might be easier to get at right away and actually handle, though you'd need a sieve to clean it up. On the plus side there's a natural gas generator near it and those are fairly easy to tap/exploit that you could run the sieve with.
The only issue is that the slush comes out at -10 so it needs to be heated before sieving. Easy enough with the devil's coil, but also 1.2kW I could avoid by YOLOing into the steam vent.