Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
In the event of a crash, carbon gets broken. Broken exposed carbon bits wedge or come into contact with bus bars. Thermal event!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

:stare:

Great writeup. There's a lot of poo poo going on with that bike but especially What The gently caress Is This

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Seriously why can't any major manufacturer build a proper electric motorcycle already (other than H-D, immensely ironically)? It's all these little boutique shops with a garage mechanic sense of engineering and finances apparently constantly on the edge of bankruptcy, cutting corners all over the place and ignoring basic safety and/or ergonomics requirements presumably because they don't have the time to work on them or the brainpower to remember that you have to.

Honda or Yamaha could easily crank out $20,000 electric motorcycles like Zero or Lightning or Energica and sell them at a profit, but they'd be made with Honda or Yamaha fit-and-finish, backed by decades of experience and hundreds of engineers and, you know, an actual industry supply chain. They'd capture the entire market in a month. It'd be like the iPod coming out after three years of terrible discman-shaped MP3 players with button interfaces and USB-1.0 transfers. We'll all be like "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, duh, that's how you make an electric motorcycle. It's so obvious."

gently caress's sake

I think Yamaha has an electric trials prototype out, but still a ways off from production.

edit: well poo poo, maybe it's not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiT9G8oQqkQ

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 26, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LodeRunner posted:

In the event of a crash, carbon gets broken. Broken exposed carbon bits wedge or come into contact with bus bars. Thermal event!

It could be worse; the fireball would be a lot bigger if the battery was the size they promised!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

It could be worse; the fireball would be a lot bigger if the battery was the size they promised!

Haha!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LodeRunner posted:

I mean, there's a load of metal right there that's plenty conductive its own, to worry about a few readily vaporized strands of carbon. I guess if you wanted to do a science project and had some spare prepreg lying around, you could stick some in a wall socket and see what happens.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
lmao 80 mph? So it makes like... what, 20 horsepower? That is literally a chinese escooter that they slapped fairings on. Not even like a good chinese escooter. China does make good escooters occasionally, and this is not one of em.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Mirconium posted:

lmao 80 mph? So it makes like... what, 20 horsepower? That is literally a chinese escooter that they slapped fairings on. Not even like a good chinese escooter. China does make good escooters occasionally, and this is not one of em.

Agreed. It feels VERY similar to a hub motor they put a casing on and mounted mid-bike.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

On the H-D thing, last time I was in Wisconsin, the bartender was talking about the "Harley ride" she last went on. Wisconsinites love companies originally from their state, but I'm worried there could be a, "NASCAR is the only racing that exists" effect when it comes to bikes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Minto Took posted:

Wisconsinites love companies originally from their state, but I'm worried there could be a, "NASCAR is the only racing that exists" effect when it comes to bikes.

You just described my boomer coworker from Milwaukee, NASCAR quip included

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mirconium posted:

The 120hp engine was 1 20 hp engine, simple parsing error.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Is it crazy to feel a little hesitant about riding right now knowing that hospitals and EMTs are overwhelmed? Not that there would ever be a good time for a serious crash but right now the risk of riding feels a elevated.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

ought ten posted:

Is it crazy to feel a little hesitant about riding right now knowing that hospitals and EMTs are overwhelmed? Not that there would ever be a good time for a serious crash but right now the risk of riding feels a elevated.

I don't think it's crazy at all. Additionally people like to make sweet dank memes "lol isolation = ride mortarcycal i have glvoe and mask!!1" but your helmet has no filtration, your gloves are porous, and the chance of reduced medical coverage should make you at least ride more cautiously. I fear there will be some additional deaths out there due to squids going "ROADS ARE CLEAR? WHEELIE PRACTICE TIME BRAH" and splatting against something.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
lol at anyone being too scared of the roni to ride

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I broke down and took a super long joyride this evening and it was downright therapeutic. I feel like I went to a day spa, after being mostly cooped up the past two weeks.

That said I feel like you would 100% get the roni from a hospital or er waiting room. We should take extra measures not to go to the Bad Place, regardless of the overstrained medical system.

I don't think you can catch it from the air while riding. I mean, no cited sources. Some work people are talking about keeping windows up and recirc on in cars, but that seems really dumb.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
These were my favorite parts, but that whole write up is great.

How much battery do you have left?"
"Uhhh, 5?..."

"the left foot peg on the Strike is mounted to the reduction gear housing"

"Probably not intended:"

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Haha, glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy writing these things. Working on a LiveWire review next because we got to play around with one recently.

edit- ohhhhh yeah good poo poo. Richard Hatfield, Lightning CEO saw the post on Facebook and is getting mad at me. My nipples are at attention.

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 27, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The vtr1000 and various Ducatis and other bikes I can't think of have pegs attached to the engine and not the frame. Just saying that it isn't an inherently bad thing, unlike that bike which looks like a deathtrap with ohlins.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

guys i might need to call RUSS BROWN MOTORCYCLE ATTORNEY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
you better watch out, he's going to hold you libel

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is incredible.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

you better watch out, he's going to hold you libel

I hope there is internet in prison :downsowned:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Love how that first post is an extremely thinly veiled "meet me in the car park :toughguy:"

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Love how that first post is an extremely thinly veiled "meet me in the car park :toughguy:"

Wouldn't be the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EincP8Eol74

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

lol drat

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is this the same Lightning Motorcycles?

I'm trying to figure out who their site is targeted at. People who want a 200HP motorcycle but need to be told what that thing what connects your rear wheel to the frame is called, or where the brakes on a motorcycle are?

Features such as front AND rear suspension :monocle:

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

That's the LS-218, the superbike that doesn't exist. The Strike is the consumer grade model.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LodeRunner posted:

guys i might need to call RUSS BROWN MOTORCYCLE ATTORNEY

Purely FYI, truth is an absolute defense to defamation.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/privileges-defenses-defamation-cases.html

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Unrelated to the incredible hardman screaming at you about his imaginary bikes, is that a Valkyrie in the background?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Martytoof posted:

I'm trying to figure out who their site is targeted at. People who want a 200HP motorcycle but need to be told what that thing what connects your rear wheel to the frame is called, or where the brakes on a motorcycle are?

i thought "oh, come on, that has to be an interactive image and you click on each word and it pops up some info about the swingarm or the brakes." so i went to the site and nope, lol. it's just a dead image. you click it and it gets bigger. they are just pointing out that the $40,000 superbike has Brakes

it does have a descriptive tooltip though!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Is this the same Lightning Motorcycles?

What possible significance does 10500 rpm have to anyone? Other than to relate it to a ICE bike somehow?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the clear glass like section above the instrument cluster (which isn't labeled so I can't actually confirm exists)?

Finger Prince posted:

What possible significance does 10500 rpm have to anyone? Other than to relate it to a ICE bike somehow?

If the bike is $40k then how else would you know how many RPM you get per dollar spent? :colbert:

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Unrelated to the incredible hardman screaming at you about his imaginary bikes, is that a Valkyrie in the background?

Probably. This was at Corbin's at his Independence Day Rally this last year. Our booth was right across from the Hell's Angels. This was the first day of the event. After that day, he packed up and never came back for the remaining 3 days.

edit- oh my god one of the other Lightning owners reached out to us. He's more savvy and bored so he's taking all the bodywork off and photographing. The battery pouches are covered in a protective sheet of... gaffer tape. I'll upload photos today.

edit 2- ahahahhahahahahhahahahahaha

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 28, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

R
A
D
I
A
T
O
R

M
O
T
O
R

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How does road compliance work in the US? Wouldn't a regulator have to have looked at that and signed off on it being ok to mass produce and sell to bubba? That is sub-chinese scooter level.

This is kind of like Norton, isn't it. Some guy built a prototype, they burned all their RnD money on bullshit so they just decided to start serial producing the prototype, right?

Right??

E: I've just realised that costs the same as a panigale v4, stunning

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 28, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

I was wondering the same thing, and in the realm of motorcycles, revving to 10.5K isnt even impressive. Most bikes can hit that

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

They just needed some specs for the picture. Should have gone for "weight wasted on battery protection: 0 lbs" instead.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Ola posted:

They just needed some specs for the picture. Should have gone for "weight wasted on battery protection: 0 lbs" instead.

If the bikes had the promised fast-charging this would be incredible thermal management. Cooling for days.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This "Grom-killer": https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9968.0

is probably a Chinese bike with the Lightning logo, sales of which are perhaps intended to fund development of their own bikes.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Ola posted:

This "Grom-killer": https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9968.0

is probably a Chinese bike with the Lightning logo, sales of which are perhaps intended to fund development of their own bikes.

Literally what we said on post 6 of that thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LodeRunner posted:

Literally what we said on post 6 of that thread

Yes, and now it has been said here? :confused: