Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Regarding this Suburban, the Carfax states that there's an open recall on the brake pedal. I asked the dealer and they said they don't service it prior to selling and I'd have to do it after buying. This seems pretty ridiculous, right? Or is this standard?

After not responding to the guy's email stating they won't service the recall prior to sale, a week of silence goes by and I get an email from left field saying "we can have it serviced if you want to come take a look at it." We schedule a test drive and they had it serviced before we got there.

We went in to test drive it yesterday afternoon and the interior was filthy as all gently caress. Marks all over the roof, cookies in the pockets behind the front seats (that was my favorite). It drove really well, but it was dirty AF inside. We had our infant twins with us, and they were starting to lose it after being there for 90 mins, so I just said "yeah it drives really well and checks all our boxes, but this is filthy as hell." We left and he had a full interior detailing done within 3-4 hours. We came back later that evening and it looked like a brand new car. I haven't the slightest clue why they didn't clean it up in the 2-3 weeks they previously had it on the lot. Even the pictures they had online showed the interior dirty as hell, which is super weird.

It was a no-haggle price, but after checking out the KBB, it was actually priced a few hundred under the low point of the "fair market price" green range, so we pulled the trigger and my wife went from a mama van to a mama tank. It took her like 5 tries to back it into our driveway :lol: and we have to take it to SF this upcoming weekend, which will be a blast.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I was looking for my first car, a dealer showed me a filthy car that blasted (local Top 40 station) when turned on. They told me an old lady used to drive it to church. :lol:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

After not responding to the guy's email stating they won't service the recall prior to sale, a week of silence goes by and I get an email from left field saying "we can have it serviced if you want to come take a look at it." We schedule a test drive and they had it serviced before we got there.

We went in to test drive it yesterday afternoon and the interior was filthy as all gently caress. Marks all over the roof, cookies in the pockets behind the front seats (that was my favorite). It drove really well, but it was dirty AF inside. We had our infant twins with us, and they were starting to lose it after being there for 90 mins, so I just said "yeah it drives really well and checks all our boxes, but this is filthy as hell." We left and he had a full interior detailing done within 3-4 hours. We came back later that evening and it looked like a brand new car. I haven't the slightest clue why they didn't clean it up in the 2-3 weeks they previously had it on the lot. Even the pictures they had online showed the interior dirty as hell, which is super weird.

It was a no-haggle price, but after checking out the KBB, it was actually priced a few hundred under the low point of the "fair market price" green range, so we pulled the trigger and my wife went from a mama van to a mama tank. It took her like 5 tries to back it into our driveway :lol: and we have to take it to SF this upcoming weekend, which will be a blast.

What a strange dealership, but it worked out for you. Congrats on the Suburban! They are real solid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Congrats. I look forward to flipping your wife and kids off at a light because I can't see past your needlessly giant car. :911:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Inner Light posted:

What a strange dealership, but it worked out for you. Congrats on the Suburban! They are real solid.

Yeah it was definitely weird, but all ended well. When we were home feeding the babies and after we decided we were going to pull the trigger if he could clean it up, I got a worried text from him saying "uhh there's someone else seriously looking at the car. When can you be back?" I figured this was just a cheesy tactic to get me to come back and buy a car, so we took our time getting all our crap out of the van. We pull in and he runs up to me and says "here I need you to sign this, quick. There's someone doing a credit check for the car right now." I went and took a look at the Suburban and after seeing it looks like a new car, I signed the price sheet. I jokingly asked him if there was really someone there for it or if he's just trying to sell a car. He brings me in and points out a couple in the back with the finance guy. Shortly later, they walk out and were glaring at my older kids fawning over the car and pointing out all the cool stuff :lol:

I think having the babies with us during the paper signing and "let us try to sell you our overpriced poo poo" part helped. One was starting to lose it so he's like "ok look, I know you just want to write a check and get out of here, so here's my best prices on our warranty (and whatever other package poo poo he was trying to sell)." He took no for an answer on it all easier than I've ever had someone do before, which was definitely appreciated.

10-11 years ago, I bought a Hyundai Tucson, and when I got to that part I just said "look, I'm going to save you and I both some time. I'm not interested in any of this." He actually got pissed at me and tried to lecture me why I'm definitely going to need the warranty. That was pretty funny. I would have walked, but I was getting special employee pricing on the car thanks to a family member who works for Hyundai.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 9, 2020

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I bumped into a guy with a GTI at the gas station last night and he opened the trunk for me. They are...not large.

God damnit I do not want to buy an SUV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Door Frame posted:

Low wagon/5dr hatch that's small for city work, with a manual transmission, flat roof, and square trunk. I've got the Cube, Clubman, Soul, xD, xB, and the V70 if I can find one of the rare manuals

oh you could also try on the used market to look for Pontiac Vibe / Toyota Matrix / the brief Scion/Toyota iM wagony thing

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I bumped into a guy with a GTI at the gas station last night and he opened the trunk for me. They are...not large.

God damnit I do not want to buy an SUV.

(sorry if I don't remember your entire post history, I just did a quick glance)

I almost never had an issue moving stuff in my GTI provided I was able to put down the rear seats. That would be a problem with a kid in the back. It's surprisingly roomy since it turns into a big box. I could get more in my mom's CR-V, but 99% of the time, it was perfectly fine for me.

My buddy hauled a kid around in his and it fit a stroller in the back, but his wife has a larger car for long trips where they'd need more stuff. Seeing how much my sis would drag with three kids, no I wouldn't want to use a GTI full time for kid duty.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you want a city car with a square hatch, Honda Fit is hard to beat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

it's not very big - it is clever and space maximizing but if you need to carry both people and stuff it fills up fast

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

golf is pretty square as are the wagon variants. the mk7 is decently reliable although not on Toyota levels obviously

As long as it isn't "plastic pieces in the timing chain assembly" levels of euro-jank, I wouldn't mind one. They look good and I did always want a Rabbit anyways

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh you could also try on the used market to look for Pontiac Vibe / Toyota Matrix / the brief Scion/Toyota iM wagony thing

I like those, but I feel like I'd just be better off buying a Fiesta or a Focus for a similar thing, given the price those still command

Nitrox posted:

I did consider them for a while, but not only are they even smaller amd less spacious than the Soul, when I drove my aunt's, I had never been more disappointed with a Honda in my life

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

As long as it isn't "plastic pieces in the timing chain assembly" levels of euro-jank, I wouldn't mind one. They look good and I did always want a Rabbit anyways

Don't get an early MKV GTI, then!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Uthor posted:

Don't get an early MKV GTI, then!

What about a late model MkV TDI?

E: or an early MkVI TDI? That diesel power is enticing for a proposed work vehicle

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 11, 2020

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Btw, a lot of(most) OHC engines have plastic pieces in the timing chain assembly, it’s just that some of them tend to come apart and grenade the motor and others come apart and nothing much changes. I think 90% of the Ford modular V8/10’s that I take apart have plastic chain guides lying in the bottom of the timing cover, but they just keep truckin’ along for hundreds of thousands of miles without even being noisy.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I hope this is the right place to ask this, I’m trading in my little Mazda2 this weekend for something a little more robust. Any tips on interacting with the dealership and maximizing my trade in value? I’m a small woman that is kind of a pushover, so I want to be prepared.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

To to Carmax, get a quote, use it for leverage, sell to Carmax if needed.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
You could even buy from CarMax if you're buying used and concerned about caving to aggressive sales tactics. Or at least look around there if you want to do so in peace without a pushy sales experience. You'll likely pay a bit more on average from CarMax, but that's compared to a theoretical good negotiation from a dealer.

If you're buying new, I suggest doing research first and negotiating via email with many local dealers at once. There are guides about how to do so online.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Cool. I actually did get a Carmax quote and I was pleased with the results. Really appreciate the advice :)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

remigious posted:

Cool. I actually did get a Carmax quote and I was pleased with the results. Really appreciate the advice :)

Run it through Carvana too. Online appraisal, super easy.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Total coincidence but is there any benefit to buying a car now or at the end of this month with virus fears & economic downturn? I've been carless for a few months and getting by, but I have had to rent for multiple 600+ mile trips to visit and assist my older mother, and now she may need to come quarantine with us for a month or more.

Used car if that matters. Generally nothing fancy and as we're "get from point A to point B" car owners who don't drive to work I'm willing to be flexible on what we get, where we get it, and when we get it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, I've been getting fuckall for interest in the CR-V I'm selling, but I'm not sure if it's because COVID or I'm asking too much :v:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I've been seeing guys on the ask car sales reddit complaining that sales are super slow right now. It might be possible to work a bit of a deal but if they're moving like 10 cars a month they may have no chance of hitting targets and therefore not have a ton of negotiating room.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

I've been seeing guys on the ask car sales reddit complaining that sales are super slow right now. It might be possible to work a bit of a deal but if they're moving like 10 cars a month they may have no chance of hitting targets and therefore not have a ton of negotiating room.

they sure as poo poo will want to get units out of their floorplan though

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Does the thread title apply unconditionally to dealership loaner cars as well? I'm looking at a CPO 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring Reserve that has 2K miles on it. It has a clean history and I would have a PPI done...unless it's an outright bad decision. It's listed at $24K, which is on the lower end of KBB fair value for a CPO.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you get a bit more warranty but i probably wouldn't own that car out of warranty

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

As someone who just returned a loaner vehicle to a dealership - I would advise against it unless it has an amazing warranty. I drove it like a rental.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Thanks for the sanity check!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

charity rereg posted:

Total coincidence but is there any benefit to buying a car now or at the end of this month with virus fears & economic downturn? I've been carless for a few months and getting by, but I have had to rent for multiple 600+ mile trips to visit and assist my older mother, and now she may need to come quarantine with us for a month or more.

Used car if that matters. Generally nothing fancy and as we're "get from point A to point B" car owners who don't drive to work I'm willing to be flexible on what we get, where we get it, and when we get it.

GM is now offering 0% for SEVEN YEARS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

toplitzin posted:

GM is now offering 0% for SEVEN YEARS.

How else are you going to roll $20k of underwater loans into a new Escalade?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Holding out for 0% for 96

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Well I have decided to put off buying a new car for a while, considering the absolute shitshow going on right now. I’m fairly certain my job is secure, but I want to play it safe :(

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
How likely is one to find an actual good deal at things like copart or whatever where they are selling what I assume are mostly repossessed or impounded vehicles? I know that buying one with a salvage title is a no go, but other than that are there genuinely vehicles there that can be had for 500 dollars for something that is reasonably likely to run, just because nobody bid on it or whatever? Is it going to be one of those things where I'm 65% likely to pay 500 dollars for 200 dollars worth of scrap metal that I will then also have to tow?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mirconium posted:

How likely is one to find an actual good deal at things like copart or whatever where they are selling what I assume are mostly repossessed or impounded vehicles? I know that buying one with a salvage title is a no go, but other than that are there genuinely vehicles there that can be had for 500 dollars for something that is reasonably likely to run, just because nobody bid on it or whatever? Is it going to be one of those things where I'm 65% likely to pay 500 dollars for 200 dollars worth of scrap metal that I will then also have to tow?
you will have to tow, because copart rules do not allow you to drive it. Off their lot at least.

Let me break it down what you going to spend on that $500 salvage title vehicle.

First and foremost, some states do not allow you to bid unless you have a dealer's license. But some states do, and it's up to you to do that research. With copart fees, it's going to be nearly $1000 by the time you sign it out. Then you either pay a carrier service or a tow truck to bring it to you, that's another $200 at least. Then, you have to repair whatever damage caused it to earn a salvage title in the first place. That is a variable number, and it's up to you how you handle that. Then you have to get it retitled by a certified agent. Their fees start at $150. If your vehicle does not pass their inspection, you will have to go back and start over. If you do pass the inspection, it takes between 3 days to 6 months to get your newly rebuild title. Which is when your vehicle can now be legally registered and driven. The insurance rate will be higher just because of that. Some of those steps may vary by state, that is exactly the process for Pennsylvania where I've done it on several occasions.

Congratulations, you've completed the process and now have a functional car that will always be considered 2nd grade. Needless to say, do not attempt this unless you either like to gamble, or have a very good idea what you're expecting to pay by the time it's all said it done. Your salvage title car may end up costing you more just to acquire then an equal used car from a private seller. And that variable repair number can swing pretty high if you start running into damage you didn't realize was there in the first place.

Good luck!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Let me just add that there may be cars at the auction that do not have a salvage title. They will most likely be marked D for donated. And this may come as a shock, but people donate vehicles when they just too expensive to maintain. So get ready to look for those very expensive repairs that the previous owner did not want to deal with. It is essentially a different form of gambling. And the house usually wins by default.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

remigious posted:

Well I have decided to put off buying a new car for a while, considering the absolute shitshow going on right now. I’m fairly certain my job is secure, but I want to play it safe :(

yeah probably a wise idea!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

remigious posted:

Same. We were going to test drive a 2020 Honda Odyssey this weekend, but now I'll wait to see what specials might come up, plus yeah, job security.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'm just starting to do some research on my first car (:toot:) and I wanted to make sure I was looking at the right models and wasn't missing anything obvious.

I live in Canada, and am looking to spend under $15,000 on something used (or new, but i doubt i'll find anything in my price range worth a drat)
I'm mostly concerned about having something (reasonably) cheap and reliable for putting around town once every week or so, since I generally take the bus to work. It's mostly for getting groceries or the occasional trip somewhere where it's a pain in the rear end to get to by transit.

I've mostly been looking at hatchbacks, primarily the Honda Fit and the Toyota Yaris, and I'm not sure if there are other models I should be looking at.
There are some issues I know about, I know the Fit has some fit and finish issues with early models, I'd probably avoid a first generation one largely because of this, and the whole airbag thing which I know to look out for.

I'm hoping to get an automatic, since I don't want to have to re-learn driving stick when my commute has a big-rear end hill in it, but if I absolutely have to I'll get a stick shift.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

You sound like a Prius dude*

* Or whatever pronoun idk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

probably not enough mileage to get a huge advantage out of the fuel economy advantages

the usual mazda3/civic/corolla/elantra etc are good recommendations. unless you live in a highly urban area with very tight parking the extra size will be more comfortable on the road and you won't spend too much extra money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

A Real Happy Camper posted:

I'm just starting to do some research on my first car (:toot:) and I wanted to make sure I was looking at the right models and wasn't missing anything obvious.

I live in Canada, and am looking to spend under $15,000 on something used (or new, but i doubt i'll find anything in my price range worth a drat)
I'm mostly concerned about having something (reasonably) cheap and reliable for putting around town once every week or so, since I generally take the bus to work. It's mostly for getting groceries or the occasional trip somewhere where it's a pain in the rear end to get to by transit.

I've mostly been looking at hatchbacks, primarily the Honda Fit and the Toyota Yaris, and I'm not sure if there are other models I should be looking at.
There are some issues I know about, I know the Fit has some fit and finish issues with early models, I'd probably avoid a first generation one largely because of this, and the whole airbag thing which I know to look out for.

I'm hoping to get an automatic, since I don't want to have to re-learn driving stick when my commute has a big-rear end hill in it, but if I absolutely have to I'll get a stick shift.

Price out your insurance. If you are male and under 45 it's very likely that renting a car every week from Enterprise (which IIRC could be like <$30 per day) with a credit card that offers collision damage waiver would be cheaper that insurance, maintenance etc on a new car.

Maybe wait for the plague to subside first.