Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Soysaucebeast posted:

So my brother is currently having a meltdown on Facebook. He's apparently really good friends with this guy, who got arrested for licking stuff at Walmart and putting it on tick-tock. Everyone on Facebook is telling my brother that that dude was a moron, and my brother had taken to calling all of us idiots and criminals and "it was just a prank!" I've never seen him this angry before in my life.

someone that licks things at walmart should be in jail anyway even when it isn't a terroristic threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Unless it's in the bathroom and it's my wiener.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dear Watson posted:

honestly we are already getting reports of paper towels blocking the sewer pipes here, after everyone gets poop water backed up into their homes society will crumble pretty quickly

There's still sufficient infrastructure in place for now where intermittent sewerage issues can be dealt with locally. Once it start becoming a more widespread issue and there's a single massive instance of toilets backflowing across an entire suburb somewhere with lots of gross footage that goes viral online then there'll also be a ton of PSAs about what not to flush down the toilet and most people will hopefully stop doing it. (A certain percentage will just go "gently caress you I spent $500 on paper towels because the stores were all out of TP so I'm never going to stop" but that's just how it goes.)

Plus as long as the water is running there's ways for people to deal with it, even if they have to resort to making GBS threads in buckets. (That'll also kick off a whole new list of widespread health issues that the first world hasn't had to deal with for a while now but we'll deal with that when we get there.

I'd be more worried about the power grid getting overloaded and we start getting rolling brown outs. How long are people going to be able or willing to self-isolate at home without power? How badly will people panic when their refrigerators stop working and all that frozen food they've hoarded goes bad?

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 27, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

My idiot landlord wants to move back into this house I'm renting at the end of our lease on June 1 "due to covid" and won't let us renew our lease or go month to month

jesus christ you moron. I hate her

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thank god I live in California where some of the rioters may still have guns at least they won't all be fully automatic with 100 round clips

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bird with big dick posted:

social distancing has never been so challenging oh god

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

bathrooms i wouldn't want my weiner licked in, any walmart, ed buck's, and something awful llc's office

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Inept posted:

My idiot landlord wants to move back into this house I'm renting at the end of our lease on June 1 "due to covid" and won't let us renew our lease or go month to month

jesus christ you moron. I hate her

Can you tell them you have it?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

I mean she's just some person now, and it's weird to hold her to the same standards as .... well anyone who is actually in charge of anything right now

Whispers, it’s because of sexism, but people in these forms refuse to admit it for not liking her. “She was a bad candidate, it’s her fault that x why or z is now happening”.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

redreader posted:

Can you tell them you have it?

Yeah but I'm saving that ace for May 30th. Then just making her evict me maybe

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mnoba posted:

what country are you talking about because it doesn't sound like the US

It is US
they going to let me know Monday
gently caress

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Spinz posted:

It is US
they going to let me know Monday
gently caress

ahh you are talking about the bonus unemployment monies on top of the normal ya good luck figuring that out, but I would think they are just going to it to everyone. you would also get the one time monies the 1200.00 either way i think.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's still sufficient infrastructure in place for now where intermittent sewerage issues can be dealt with locally. Once it start becoming a more widespread issue and there's a single massive instance of toilets backflowing across an entire suburb somewhere with lots of gross footage that goes viral online then there'll also be a ton of PSAs about what not to flush down the toilet and most people will hopefully stop doing it. (A certain percentage will just go "gently caress you I spent $500 on paper towels because the stores were all out of TP so I'm never going to stop" but that's just how it goes.)

Plus as long as the water is running there's ways for people to deal with it, even if they have to resort to making GBS threads in buckets. (That'll also kick off a whole new list of widespread health issues that the first world hasn't had to deal with for a while now but we'll deal with that when we get there.

I'd be more worried about the power grid getting overloaded and we start getting rolling brown outs. How long are people going to be able or willing to self-isolate at home without power? How badly will people panic when their refrigerators stop working and all that frozen food they've hoarded goes bad?
wouldn't the power grid be in better shape since offices and gyms etc will be closed and they can turn off AC/heating/screens/lights/etc etc

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mrfart posted:

weird, I didn't see that mentioned in the news here in Belgium?

Sorry I was away for some time. Here is the source:

https://www.lalibre.be/planete/sant...978e2284142361a

I'm aware it's only a few people all from the same place, but they were all not showing any symptoms and one out of 10 was positive.

Another virologist said previously probably 1% of the population was infected, but that wasn't based on tests, only modeling.

So real figure is probably between 1% and 10%

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Inept posted:

Yeah but I'm saving that ace for May 30th. Then just making her evict me maybe

Does your landlord not know that there's a nationwide eviction moratorium and you can legally tell them to go suck an egg?

edit: misread May as March. Hopefully they'll extend the moratorium past then though

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mnoba posted:

ahh you are talking about the bonus unemployment monies on top of the normal ya good luck figuring that out, but I would think they are just going to it to everyone. you would also get the one time monies the 1200.00 either way i think.

The bonus unemployment money has to be due to Covid I think

I really need to know this

??????

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wyoak posted:

wouldn't the power grid be in better shape since offices and gyms etc will be closed and they can turn off AC/heating/screens/lights/etc etc

Yeah but all the people who would've been crowded into those offices and businesses for a large percentage of every day will now be at home 24/7 and they'll each be running their own AC/heating/etc

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Hazo posted:

Does your landlord not know that there's a nationwide eviction moratorium and you can legally tell them to go suck an egg?

edit: misread May as March. Hopefully they'll extend the moratorium past then though

yeah it's 2 months away still but for all i know it'll be peaking here in 2 months

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Spinz posted:

??????

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/politics/stimulus-payments/index.html

this article goes through some of it, probably best to just go to your local office monday or call them and ask though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Spinz posted:

??????

The bill is 880 pages or so, with the unemployment bonus being vague enough that most people are saying they have no idea right now. Plan to not have it and if it shows up you have extra.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

The Cockler posted:

Which thread would that be?

"Greater cincinnati area"

Yo I know this post was more than a few pages back but I can't send you a PM. If you're near downtown or able to get downtown, hit up Mitas between 5:00 and 8:30 every single day. Jose Salazar along with some of his crew and the Lee Initiative are running a relief effort for restaurant workers. Food and essentials are free for industry folks who have had their income effected from all this bullshit. They're open 7 days a week and have PLENTY to give thanks to a lot of donations from around town. I know Our Daily Bread (right by Findlay Market) is offering up to-go meals in the mornings as well.

There are other places offering up assistance as well around the area, shoot me an email at zach at otrchilico dot com and i'll get together a list for you. I can't help you out with housing or anything financially (also a restaurant goon here, and I was supposed to opening my place this past week...) but I can make sure you can get food and essentials.

Also, if you haven't yet, apply for unemployment. You can still qualify if you haven't been officially "laid off" and aren't getting hours. The Ohio unemployment website is a clusterfuck right now, but you can get through if you're patient, or try to fill out the app in the middle of the night. A little bit of money is better than no money. Good luck fellow restaurant goon.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah but all the people who would've been crowded into those offices and businesses for a large percentage of every day will now be at home 24/7 and they'll each be running their own AC/heating/etc

In France electric consumption went down 15% on avg

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

poty posted:

Burt edit: Performative Bloodlust posting prohibition is now in effect. Punch up not down when making jokes as well.

there are people who have fought their whole careers to remove science from the decision-making process in government, sabotage scientific literacy, and set in place and reinforce, purely for the sake of consolidating their own power, all of the social and economic factors that contributed to this epidemic, and are now unironically saying workers should go back to work and die at their posts, again purely for the sake of their own power, even though they are themselves at the absolute least level of risk it is possible for a person to be living with right now.

it is not the least bit performative, but entirely sincere, and by definition punching up, when I say that i hope, from the bottom of my heart, that every single one of them gets sick and spends the rest of their life with ARDS-scarred lungs contemplating the evil they brought on the world. i think it would be both hilariously ironic and an objective, material improvement to the world.

hoping for evil people to meet hilarious ironic fates is cool and good and if i have to eat a probe over it, that's on yall's :decorum: poisoning, not me

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

most people run ac and heat 24/7 to begin with

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

there are people who have fought their whole careers to remove science from the decision-making process in government, sabotage scientific literacy, and set in place and reinforce, purely for the sake of consolidating their own power, all of the social and economic factors that contributed to this epidemic, and are now unironically saying workers should go back to work and die at their posts, again purely for the sake of their own power, even though they are themselves at the absolute least level of risk it is possible for a person to be living with right now.

it is not the least bit performative, but entirely sincere, and by definition punching up, when I say that i hope, from the bottom of my heart, that every single one of them gets sick and spends the rest of their life with ARDS-scarred lungs contemplating the evil they brought on the world. i think it would be both hilariously ironic and an objective, material improvement to the world.

hoping for evil people to meet hilarious ironic fates is cool and good and if i have to eat a probe over it, that's on yall's :decorum: poisoning, not me

Are you perchance making any pipebombs in your spare time?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jack Trades posted:

Are you perchance making any pipebombs in your spare time?

what? no. im making jams and pickles

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Making harsh truth bombs

schmug
May 20, 2007

Spinz posted:

??????

it's unemployment; if you were laid off, or otherwise qualify for it, you're good.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/Grace4NY/status/1243590011930451973

https://twitter.com/ShirazMaher/status/1243554352943583232

https://twitter.com/craiu/status/1243457512323637249

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Today I went to install new door badge controls in a hospital and in four hours they carried two body bags out of the wards. Considering I never saw a bodybag out of a morgue in six years of installing poo poo in hospitals I can safely say that this isn't just a loving flu.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Sorry I was away for some time. Here is the source:

https://www.lalibre.be/planete/sant...978e2284142361a

I'm aware it's only a few people all from the same place, but they were all not showing any symptoms and one out of 10 was positive.

Another virologist said previously probably 1% of the population was infected, but that wasn't based on tests, only modeling.

So real figure is probably between 1% and 10%

Yeah 50 people in a hospital is probably not enough to be sure :) Though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10%.
The question is, what percentage of them are gonna get really sick in a week or so.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

this poo poo gets me panicky as gently caress

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I just read that 51 doctors treating cover cases in Italy have died since the outbreak.

But my co-worker says its just the flu so I guess this always happens every year

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Google Butt posted:

this poo poo gets me panicky as gently caress

yea me too, ive been reading too much poo poo today. but you have to remember that your chances of having a mild case are much greater than developing serious complications

go for a run, do some push ups, situps and lunges for an hour and the exercise will make you feel way better (dont drink)

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

unpacked robinhood posted:

I realized this morning I'm probably not going to the gym in a while and it's a depressing thought. I don't want to go back to being a weak poo poo, and body weight sucks loving rear end

Lmao

Pages old but I just put music on and stretch, yoga, dance, squats, etc. As soon as the snow stops I hope to start running again. All this is free, away others, and doesn't require machines.

schmug
May 20, 2007

to all the idiots out there that may be saying "it's just the flu"; ask them how long flu season is and how long this has been going on.

Never mind, don't argue with idiots :sever:

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

pixaal posted:

Ah-ha! that is what people are saving all the tp for! They are going to tp houses when Easter gets canceled!

TPing a house is going to be like that scene from Dark Knight when Joker burns a mountain of cash

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

We're having a fun time in the Funk in Shoe household. 3 weeks ago both kids came down with fevers, vomiting and coughs but shook it off in a week or so. We've sort of semi-joked that they'd probably had corona. I had a couple of days right after with headaches and mild body aches but nothing dramatic. My wife, up until yesterday, have had no symptoms.

We're both 36 and working from home with 2 kids (ages 2 and 7) and it's stressful as hell. And then of course last week my wife found a lump in her right breast, roughly the size of an almond and freaked out.

She called up the doctor and got an appointment the next morning to get it checked out. Doctor refered her to a mammogram next wednesday and we're both naturally quite freaked out, while still trying to keep life somewhat normal for the kids.

And then last night she started feeling like she had trouble catching her breath, and coughing... If it's the virus, we're afraid she won't be allowed in for her scan next week which could - in the worst case scenario - mean that if the lump is cancer, we might loose potentially weeks before it's diagnosed.

She's super duper scared and crying a lot - we've been together for 12 years and I've never seen her like this. I know we'll probably be fine but this is the most worried and scared I've ever been in my life.

e: last january our then 1-year-old spent 11 days in the hospital with a severe case of pneumonia that would've clearly killed him without medical intervention; I can't shake the fear that somehow my wife's got the virus from somewhere outside (we've been self-quarantined for 3 weeks though) and that she'll pass it on to the kids and my son's little lungs won't be able to handle it.

Funk In Shoe fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 27, 2020

schmug
May 20, 2007

Funk In Shoe posted:

We're having a fun time in the Funk in Shoe household. 3 weeks ago both kids came down with fevers, vomiting and coughs but shook it off in a week or so. We've sort of semi-joked that they'd probably had corona. I had a couple of days right after with headaches and mild body aches but nothing dramatic. My wife, up until yesterday, have had no symptoms.

We're both 36 and working from home with 2 kids (ages 2 and 7) and it's stressful as hell. And then of course last week my wife found a lump in her right breast, roughly the size of an almond and freaked out.

She called up the doctor and got an appointment the next morning to get it checked out. Doctor refered her to a mammogram next wednesday and we're both naturally quite freaked out, while still trying to keep life somewhat normal for the kids.

And then last night she started feeling like she had trouble catching her breath, and coughing... If it's the virus, we're afraid she won't be allowed in for her scan next week which could - in the worst case scenario - mean that if the lump is cancer, we might loose potentially weeks before it's diagnosed.

She's super duper scared and crying a lot - we've been together for 12 years and I've never seen her like this. I know we'll probably be fine but this is the most worried and scared I've ever been in my life.

e: last january our then 1-year-old spent 11 days in the hospital with a severe case of pneumonia that would've clearly killed him without medical intervention; I can't shake the fear that somehow my wife's got the virus from somewhere outside (we've been self-quarantined for 3 weeks though) and that she'll pass it on to the kids and my son's little lungs won't be able to handle it.

jesus, man. Hang in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

In France electric consumption went down 15% on avg

There's a pretty significant overlap of energy use between 4pm and 7pm as people transition from offices to homes

If the buildings are just set to "weekend" mode 24/7, even though people are occupying their houses full time, since there's no overlap, I can definitely see electric consumption going way, way down

There's a bunch of break room fridges not getting restocked, a lot of office washing machines not running, vending machines not getting restocked (how much power does it take to cool 200 cans of soda from room temp down to fridge temp?). Elevators not running. Heat pumps moving significantly less heat/humidity. Computers and displays are sleeping, which means less heat, which means less AC etc etc For every 10w of heat in a room, it takes ~2.5w of power to pump it out.... probably net 30%+ power savings