Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

My guess is that this head to head won't come up, but how does it stack against Witchcraft?

Amityville movies run between boring and bad.
Witchcraft runs from bad to entertainingly bad. The Amityville movies are probably "better" by somewhat objective measures, but, given no other option, I'd rather watch Witchcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm outraged that Puppet Master lost to Leprechaun but either would fall to Chucky so whatever. I'm probably going to keep voting against Universal Monsters as long as the squad is their poster child - I watched it for the first time last challenge and it was the most disappointing thing I've seen in ages. Just amazing setup and then constantly fumbling it with only a couple of bright spots.

This round the only question marks are Ghoulies vs. Human Centipede, which I guess I finally have to watch, and HS vs. FD. My gut says Ginger Snaps since the first two are both really good and I can't remember much of anything about any of the Final Destinations, but I probably owe them a viewing with attention.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
The Ginger Snaps vs. Final Destination matchup is hard. Is a franchise with one great, one good, and one okay movie better or worse than a franchise with 2 very good, 2 good, and one very bad movie?

I voted FD just because I think it has a special place outside of the more objective qualities of the movies due to having some of the most inventive kills in all of horror. Even the worst FD kills would be among the best kills in other franchises. I think that deserves the nod even though obviously the first Ginger Snaps movie is better than any film in the FD franchise.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Does This Island Earth count as Universal Horror? I mean the 30 little Universal Monster bobbleheads I had a kid says yes, but just checking.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I will tell you, based on early results, it is entirely possible for Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne to win one of these matchups. Just not this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I will tell you, based on early results, it is entirely possible for Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne to win one of these matchups. Just not this one:

NotLD clearly didn't stand a chance against the mighty SNDN

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Edit-- whoops wrong horror thread

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

I will tell you, based on early results, it is entirely possible for Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne to win one of these matchups.

Ghoulies/Centipede?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Timeless Appeal posted:

My guess is that this head to head won't come up, but how does it stack against Witchcraft?

There's a few Witchcraft films I haven't seen yet, but I'd say Witchcraft's better by a skosh than Amityville. There were Amityville films I watched that were so bad I was wondering what favors or blackmail material someone had on someone else to have the movie get a release.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No way thats not the NOTLD match up.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Sono posted:

Ghoulies/Centipede?

Nah, Bloodrayne is going to win Amityville vs. Prophecy. I'm going to watch the Human Centipede movies for this, but there's not enough wealth in the world to bribe me into engaging with Amityville.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For those of you who think only the first Exorcist is good, please watch the movie of the month and repent.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Ghoulies II and III are good, seminal entries into the small creatures genre (aka, the little puppets flopping around genre). The first Ghoulies is more of a wizard duel movie than a small creatures movie. Ghoulies IV is hardly a Ghoulies at all. While I liked Human Centipede, it's really more of a idea than a film. I mean it does a lot with that one idea, but I gotta go Ghoulies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm not sure if I've seen Ghoulies III/IV, but II is probably my favorite "rubber puppet monster" movie

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'll be honest. I think Wrong Turn is a perfectly cromulent franchise and has spectacular practical gore effects and a satisfying nastiness that harkens back to Day of the Dead. But:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Human Centipede 1 is actually pretty funny, and the insane performance by Dieter "my real name is actually Dieter Laser" Laser as Dr. Centipede really helps to make the movie work.

The sequel... Ugh. Yeah, I get it, it's meta! It's about the controversy from the first movie! The new villain is a fanboy of the Dr. Centipede character! It's in black and white which is almost as good as making it good! Still poop from the butt of the end of a human centipede.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's a few Witchcraft films I haven't seen yet, but I'd say Witchcraft's better by a skosh than Amityville. There were Amityville films I watched that were so bad I was wondering what favors or blackmail material someone had on someone else to have the movie get a release.

I watched the first Witchcraft last night at around 3 am. I somehow didn't fall asleep, but it was a hell of a struggle. Definitely not what I would expect to spawn 16 sequels.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Watching Bloodrayne actually get more votes than one of the entrants, and it appears that there was in fact a third BloodRayne so maybe we made a mistake in nominating one of these franchises.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm not sure if I've seen Ghoulies III/IV, but II is probably my favorite "rubber puppet monster" movie

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 27, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

It's a shame that Gremlins didn't have a third installment, because those first two movies could carry it a long way. I'd even put it over the F13 series

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

It's a shame that Gremlins didn't have a third installment, because those first two movies could carry it a long way. I'd even put it over the F13 series

Disagree, only because Gremlins 2 is the perfect coda. It carpet-bombed the idea of sequels and Joe Dante deserves a medal for completely destroying his own franchise like that to keep the ghouls in the C-suites from sullying the series with endless retreads.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Human Centipede 1 is actually pretty funny, and the insane performance by Dieter "my real name is actually Dieter Laser" Laser as Dr. Centipede really helps to make the movie work.

If you want to watch Dieter Laser chewing scenery as a mad scientist, watch Lexx season 2 instead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Gremlins and Gremlins 2 are equals for different reasons they're both amazing. Gremlins 2 may be the greatest horror sequel and direct follow up film ever made .

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

If you want to watch Dieter Laser chewing scenery as a mad scientist, watch Lexx season 2 instead.

What is it with you people and Lexx??

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What is it with you people and Lexx??

Its a low budget bugfuck insane series. Also it use to air on Scifi a good bit back in the day and I bet most people watched the edited version of the show.

Also they travel around space in a giant dick and balls.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I just voted today and Final Destination vs. Ginger Snaps and Re-Animator vs. Maniac Cop were some really loving hard choices.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I just voted today and Final Destination vs. Ginger Snaps and Re-Animator vs. Maniac Cop were some really loving hard choices.

In this period of mourning you must vote Re-Animator imo.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

For those of you who think only the first Exorcist is good, please watch the movie of the month and repent.

Then watch Exorcist II, Dominion, and the Beginning.

Do not commit self-harm during these trying times.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sono posted:

Then watch Exorcist II, Dominion, and the Beginning.

Do not commit self-harm during these trying times.

Look at this guy mocking my plans for tonight.

edit: For real, my plans tonight are to watch Exorcist II and Poltergeist III and I'm having serious second thoughts.

I watched Exorcist, Poltergeist, Re-Animator, Bride of Re-Animator, and Candyman over the last few days. But suddenly I've discovered my flaw in binging multiple franchises at once plan when you hit all their low points at once.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 27, 2020

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

edit: For real, my plans tonight are to watch Exorcist II and Poltergeist III and I'm having serious second thoughts.

I watched Exorcist, Poltergeist, Re-Animator, Bride of Re-Animator, and Candyman over the last few days. But suddenly I've discovered my flaw in binging multiple franchises at once plan when you hit all their low points at once.

I watched Slithis on Prime, which sent me to the promised land of early 70s D-films. I'm now on Garden of the Dead. How low can this quarantine bring me?

Bad Ben marathon. It will definitely be a Bad Ben marathon.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Poltergeist 3 is a treat, it's miles better than Exorcist 2

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In my brief prep work research for Exorcist II the consistent theme seems to be "one of the worst films of all time."

That combined with some bad childhood memories of Poltergeist III have me spooked and reworking my "schedule." But I have to watch Exorcist II if I'm gonna watch Exorcist III before the month is over.

And yes. I have to.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoy Exorcist II. Never got the hate, tbh.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I decided to give the Leprechaun series a watch, seeing as I'd never seen them before. Within the first half hour of the first movie I realised that I'd actually seen it before, and my mind must have completely scrubbed the memory asif it were a severe childhood trauma.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

my mind must have completely scrubbed the memory asif it were a severe childhood trauma.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I decided to give the Leprechaun series a watch, seeing as I'd never seen them before. Within the first half hour of the first movie I realised that I'd actually seen it before, and my mind must have completely scrubbed the memory asif it were a severe childhood trauma.

When I was young for some reason Leprechaun was airing on HBO or something like everyone in school watched it and was talking about it the next day and I was like "I set the video tape because it was on after my bed time" and I was mocked mercilessly because I hadn't realized everyone else had lost their bed times by then.

So Leprechaun traumatized my childhood too. :hfive:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Under no circumstances do you "gotta watch" Exorcist 2 in order to watch 3. That's like saying you gotta gouge out your eyes before you go to the Louvre.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So as part of why we have several days to vote when most people get their votes in right away, is so that we can campaign to get people to sway their opinion. And looking at the early results, it's pretty dire for one matchup, so I am gonna campaign for something else:

The Prophecy is a weird only-okay religious horror film that has one great performance from a guy showing up for five minutes at the end of the first movie who isn't even a main character. And twenty drat Amityville movies and not a drat one is above "boring", so I'm gonna say people should just vote (or change your already-entered vote) to Bloodrayne. Kristanna Loken is doing her very best and the first movie is so ridiculous and insane that it defies belief. The final shot literally is non-sequiter, as in it does not follow any of the actions that occur earlier in the film. Uwe Boll somehow parlayed his grifter persona to get movies made well after the German tax loophole closed and here we are: a serviceable vampire assassin movie made with some of the weirdest directorial choices you're likely to see. Uwe Boll is not a good filmmaker, but he is consistently one of the most entertaining just because he is clearly skilled enough to shoot movies in focus and with professional production, but still has so little artistry that it boggles the mind.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm tempted but gently caress Uwe Boll and up with Viggo as Satan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiuSr-6xP4

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

For anyone else curious about The Prophecy, a content warning: It contains a scene of a child being groomed and then sexually assaulted, and the perpetrator is portrayed as a heroic character. It's explained away as innocent in the context of the film, but JFC, who the gently caress thought that scene was a good idea :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think both Leprechaun and The Prophecy fill an interesting space in horror. The slasher franchises were either ending or stalling at this time. While I don't think the 90s were that dire, there definitely wasn't a sense of cohesion to horror. It was a genre trying to figure itself out. Like Leprechaun, The Prophecy is not good--although not as bad as Leprechaun. But as a chubby preteen in the late 90s, these films still felt like something. The Prophecy felt like it was sustaining a sense of canon I don't have nostalgia for Prophecy so much as I have nostalgia for this weird period of time living in the shadows of the 80s and finding its way. In a lot of ways, The Prophecy is maybe the most representative of this sort of lost time of horror. It's not as middling as other franchises of the time and has more charm than the Scream rip offs that would try to bring on a new age of horror. It's a movie that has ambition and sometimes shows glimmers of promise.

If it was going against a better franchise it should be eliminated, but it's not. It's up against Amityville Horror. We can talk about the bad sequels, but I think we need to be clear: The first Amityville is BAD. It is dour and boring while somehow also indulging in bullshit pseudo-science. It is everything boring about haunted house horror and it would have been easily forgotten if Poltergeist and The Shining hadn't come out a few years later to show how you loving do a haunted house story. It is a lovely movie elevated by both when it was released and the lies of conmen who inspired this lovely movie.

There is no reason to vote for Blood Rayne when there is a clear winner for this matchup. Do the right thing.