Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

KingShiro posted:

Hot tip for WO4U, play and level Magoichi Saika as soon as you get him. You can just spam basic charge attack combo on everything.

His hyper attacks don't do much to officers or monsters. Luckily, his charge 4 and 5 combos hit a million times and shred everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
https://store.steampowered.com/app/872410/ROMANCE_OF_THE_THREE_KINGDOMS_XIV/

ROTK14 is out in english now, and they also threw a trial up.

Most reviews are still focused on technical stuff and not game mechanics though...

Anyone want to spend $50 bucks on a trip report?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 28, 2020

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I want to, but I'm going to wait until the inevitable PUK comes out and see if we get it before I buy it.

ROTK13 gave us the PUK, but for some reason they didn't translate the PUK for the Nobunaga's Ambition released afterwards so I'm going to wait and see this time.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Are any of the scenario packs for WO4 useful for grinding like in WO3U?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wonder if we'll see a SW5 announcement this year. Kinda curious to see if they take anything from Spirit of Sanada - stratagems were very fun and having a hub-like central area between missions made the in-between missions a bit more lively.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
ROTK14: So it looks like you can't play random mook officers? Only faction leaders? This is a big step back in management and other options too. I hope the improvements to war/battles are worth it. So far I can barely tell how this isn't just flat-out inferior to TW3K.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 29, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

dipwood posted:

ROTK14: So it looks like you can't play random mook officers? Only faction leaders? This is a big step back in management and other options too. I hope the improvements to war/battles are worth it. So far I can barely tell how this isn't just flat-out inferior to TW3K.

VIII, X and XIII were the officer focused ones. I used to love the ruler-focused games as well but I can't be bothered with them anymore, especially now that the Total War game is out.

X was the last ROTK I really enjoyed so I'm not going to bother with the series anymore unless they release one to unanimous praise.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Big TK sale on steam currently.

Is Spirit of Sanada worth getting? I passed over it thinking it was just another Musou spin off, and surprised to hear it being talked up a bit here.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It has some interesting ideas. You can sorta tell they were testing the waters for an open world framework with it... which sadly didn’t work out with DW9. That said, sanada has some neat set pieces in it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

One day Koei is going to properly figure out how to fuse Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and it's going to be glorious.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
One day KT will put Attack on Titan 2 on sale and I can finally stop being disappointed.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Dream big or don’t dream at all, that’s the spirit!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Big TK sale on steam currently.

Is Spirit of Sanada worth getting? I passed over it thinking it was just another Musou spin off, and surprised to hear it being talked up a bit here.

Personally I've enjoyed it quite a bit. The new characters have fun movesets and even though you can replay missions as the rest of the SW cast when you unlock them, you still have some sidemissions spread throughout the main story where you get to play as other characters doing things at that same point in time, with cutscenes and all. There are some things I personally don't care much about, such as expeditions and the fishing/farming/crafting but they're innocuous unless you're a completionist. It's also funny that you can choose between like 15 different types of horse but each character only gets one weapon model aside from their secret one. My favorite Samurai Warriors game so far (only played 1 and 4-II).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i turned up the AI difficulty in sphere of influence to Normal because Low is way too easy and now i'm getting rolled by the AI

what are some good starting tips? i guess i could grab a normal clan but i like customs

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
What's the consensus in the Sphere of Influence vs Taishi debate? I've just discovered I own SoI even though I don't even remember buying it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Kinda mad at how much easier the platinum is for WO4 than it is for 3U...fuckin' requests.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

What's the consensus in the Sphere of Influence vs Taishi debate? I've just discovered I own SoI even though I don't even remember buying it.

I like SOI and apparently you shouldn't play with the expansion on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spirit of Sanada: for some reason the free costume DLC isn't listed on the store page.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/595750/SAMURAI_WARRIORS_Spirit_of_Sanada__Exclusive_Costumes/

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, Spirit of Sanada runs okay, in that hovers around 45 fps at standard settings, but on a machine that could do higher settings at higher fps on other games. At least it runs given the horror stories I have heard about TK PC ports. Then there the startup message that insists that I run the game in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Still, I am totally into "doing optional feats so you can unlock activatable events in future battle stages"

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I played around a bit with RtK14. Not really a fan of the whole give general orders and let things happen-system, it feels they are trying to compensate for the poor tactical AI by forcing you to use that very same poor tactical AI. The tutorial said something about assuming direct control of a limited number of units depending on your rank, that might alleviate it somewhat.

So far, not a fan.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

kissekatt posted:

I played around a bit with RtK14. Not really a fan of the whole give general orders and let things happen-system, it feels they are trying to compensate for the poor tactical AI by forcing you to use that very same poor tactical AI. The tutorial said something about assuming direct control of a limited number of units depending on your rank, that might alleviate it somewhat.

So far, not a fan.

Wait, isn't it a ruler only game? Shouldn't the faction leader dictate everything?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Airspace posted:

Wait, isn't it a ruler only game? Shouldn't the faction leader dictate everything?
No, you see, the thing people actually like about the officer-focused games is having to trust the incompetent AI to do stuff, so naturally they made a game where that IS the game! :doh:
Also, from flailing through the demo, the supply system seems really harsh and finicky. Units that get cut off just kind of stop doing anything.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Airspace posted:

Rank as in rank bestowed upon you by the Emperor for having more territories. The way the combat system works is that you plan out the next turn(s) by giving the unit orders (go there, build that, attack that unit, conquer that province) and also rules of engagement (if you see an enemy unit attack/ignore, you are /not/ allowed to retreat, etc). Then you press the play button and hope for the best, because you are now powerless and watch the turn play out. The basic idea could work in theory, but it is really finicky to make a system that works satisfactory and from what little I've seen they missed the boat on that one. Like, for a game that is heavily dependent on positioning to just have the order "attack" is not granular enough, you want to be able to flank them or link up with your sworn brother or etc.

As I said, maybe it works better if you put directly controlled units in the mix (haven't tried it yet), but so far it wasn't a good experience for me.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I seem to remember that there was at least one officer-centered RoTK that had at least decent AI, either VIII or X. That's probably the nostalgia kicking in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431bE2u30p0

I can't praise the OST enough.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm perpetually always one behind on Warriors games, so I just started playing 8XL on the Switch when I bought it a couple of months ago on sale. It's pretty neat so far, the Ambition Mode seems to be the new Conquest Mode with a few changes. I think I liked Conquest's giant map that you slowly turned to your side one stage at a time a bit more than this one, but it seems fine, and I do like the aspect of upgrading facilities and such.

Now I have to figure out which of the DLC weapons I want. The answer is probably "all of them" but I'm wondering if there's any that are really interesting or stand out in some way.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Has there been any word on how the Switch version of Pirate Warriors 4 compares to other systems? I'm buying the game day 1 and would like the pre-order goodies but while I don't mind graphical fidelity taking a hit it would be a deal breaker if there was a reduced onscreen enemy count

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
PW4 is out tonight :blastu:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Played a bit of PW4. Between the destructible environments and actual air combos you feel even more ludicrously powerful.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Unlucky7 posted:

Played a bit of PW4. Between the destructible environments and actual air combos you feel even more ludicrously powerful.

Please don't make me want this game. :negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speaking of trying games, I've got the Hyrule Warriors for Switch and oh god what is happening

Some maps aren't loading textures right, Darunia's floating out in an empty void as he opens a chest. One keep's ground keeps flicking between paved and dirt textures. I didn't have any of these issues with the 3DS version so I'm kinda sad about that. That and the lack of a 6,000,000 rupee giveaway.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RareAcumen posted:

Speaking of trying games, I've got the Hyrule Warriors for Switch and oh god what is happening

Some maps aren't loading textures right, Darunia's floating out in an empty void as he opens a chest. One keep's ground keeps flicking between paved and dirt textures. I didn't have any of these issues with the 3DS version so I'm kinda sad about that. That and the lack of a 6,000,000 rupee giveaway.
So this came up in an LP of the game that I was watching, and it's supposedly caused by a memory leak. If you've been playing for long sessions at a time and/or leaving the game sleeping when you're not playing it, that could be the cause. Try closing the game and/or turning off the Switch (as in actually off, not just sleep mode) when you're not playing it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've been getting some weapons in DW8 that have neat abilities, but apparently you have to do a shitload of Ambition Mode to unlock weapon fusion and it also seems weapon fusion is way worse than it is in the Orochi series (you apparently don't even get to pick which abilities to transfer?). That's really disappointing for them to introduce something great in another series and then go back to something worse. I mean, I know, the Orochi series is a different series than DW, but you'd think they'd keep cool stuff like that.

I also have mixed feelings about the skill system, it's nice that defeating enemy officers in certain ways makes you stronger but some of them I've had difficulty with. Defeat an officer afflicted by a status ailment is the worst offender, since even using the Stele DLC weapon that has the poison mushroom I haven't had any luck fulfilling that requirement. Some of them just seem like waiting around for a while, like defeating with a Switch Counter.

Some of the requirements for Hypothetical stages seem weird too. I had assumed that to get the Hypothetical stage at Wan Castle, I would have to rescue Cao Ang and Cao Anmin, but turns out you're supposed to let them get defeated, which is actually easier since it's harder to get to them before they get overrun? That's just weird.

Still having a lot of fun with it though.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I really like all of the changes they made, though I'm a bit worried it won't have as much longevity as PW3.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm a bit hesita to get PW4 for full price, how well it runs performance wise? My pc is a bit old.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

So this came up in an LP of the game that I was watching, and it's supposedly caused by a memory leak. If you've been playing for long sessions at a time and/or leaving the game sleeping when you're not playing it, that could be the cause. Try closing the game and/or turning off the Switch (as in actually off, not just sleep mode) when you're not playing it.

That sounds solvable on my end, I'll give that a shot.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

PW4 is really good so far. I'm surprised at how many new elements they put into the combat system that are actual fun mechanics and not just gimmicks -- having multiple specials, air combat, the recharging enemy shields, the stamina/dash system, actual boss fight mechanics that aren't just a pain in the rear end, etc. It feels like a big step forward.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 27, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I reinstalled Windows a bit ago due to some SSD issues and I decided to reinstall DW8XL because I remembered I hadn't fully finished it (I had a few hypotheticals left to unlock/complete plus some standalone scenarios)... and it seems Steam never made a cloud copy of my save. :negative:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Vichan posted:

I seem to remember that there was at least one officer-centered RoTK that had at least decent AI, either VIII or X. That's probably the nostalgia kicking in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431bE2u30p0

I can't praise the OST enough.

I think X was the one with totally broken AI to the point where it ruins the game once you notice it.

I played VII the most. I think VIII was similar. I don't remember the AI being notably good or bad.

Still miss the debates from X, though, those could get hilarious.

E: check my post history in this thread for a pretty big write up of ROTK7, 8, and 10.

In 10, AI controlled battles I think just made the army with more troops win every time.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 27, 2020

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

PW4 is really good so far. I'm surprised at how many new elements they put into the combat system that are actual fun mechanics and not just gimmicks -- having multiple specials, air combat, the recharging enemy shields, the stamina/dash system, actual boss fight mechanics that aren't just a pain in the rear end, etc. It feels like a big step forward.

i was a little low-key worried that the new stuff was gonna be just easily ignored gimmicks, glad to hear otherwise. any new characters standing out as particularly fun?

excited to get this game once my county lets my non-essential workplace be open again and i don't have to worry about spending money on video games :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

i was a little low-key worried that the new stuff was gonna be just easily ignored gimmicks, glad to hear otherwise. any new characters standing out as particularly fun?

excited to get this game once my county lets my non-essential workplace be open again and i don't have to worry about spending money on video games :unsmith:

Most of the characters are really cool. Kid stands out as having a pretty interesting design, since he's basically Magneto and has a bunch of moves which build up his giant scrapmetal arms that you then use to smash things.

Usopp loving sucks, but I feel like that's just tradition at this point. Hopefully his post-skip moveset is better.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 28, 2020