Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Also no achievement for beating it on Nightmare, just a generic one for beating it on any difficulty. I need a shiny token so people know I'm good at games.

But there is one for Ultra Nightmare! :shepicide:

Oh new page, uh.
Ok dungeon fighter online has a long plot but the translation is really bad and it often takes you back to town to talk to people you likely just kept skipping the dialogue of. I really wish there was a option to just make it skip all of that and get right to the fighting considering how a lot of the fun is making alts and trying new characters.

Zoig has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Horizon and Control have the exact same 'lootbox' system with random mods that seem like it belongs more into a GaaS with microtransactions than single player games

I feel the same way about challenges in Doom Eternal (2016 had them too but Eternal has even more). They're like a mobile game mechanic that you throw in to increase player engagement when your core gameplay sucks too much to hold their attention on its own. But it doesn't! The shooting is great, and is all I really want out of the game.

The game in general feels weirdly insecure about its core combat, like it's constantly afraid that I'm going to lose interest if I'm fighting demons for more than two minutes at a time, so it has to always be distracting me with a bunch of platforming and RPG systems and other junk. But all it ends up doing is making me do something I enjoy less instead of the thing I'm enjoying the most. :(

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I got CoD: WWII in a humble bundle a while back and installed it today out of isolation induced boredom. It's not great.

What really drags it down for me is the sound mixing/audio is awful. I've never been so unimpressed with a Normandy landing in a video game. All of my weapons are muted, squad member's weapons don't appear to make any sound at all, explosions feel far off and there's no cool music. I thought something was wrong with my settings so I looked up gameplay footage on youtube and it was equally underwhelming. I even went back to play CoD 1 and the sound was so much more; sharper reports, machine gun fire drowning out everything, people yelling in my face. I could tell where people were and which side they belonged to based on the sound of their weapons. It was awesome!

Gonna try the second level but only to give it a fair shake.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The procedurally generated bike game Descenders:

The music is the worst I've ever heard. They're trying to do the sports game trope of having a "soundtrack" on the menu, but as an indie game they obviously can't afford to license real music. So it's just the same five tracks of this weird, terrible EDM looping forever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zoig posted:

But there is one for Ultra Nightmare! :shepicide:

It’s only for beating one stage, which is hard but doable.

Wolfenstein: New Colossus though does have a trophy for beating the bullshit hard permadeath mode, and that game is way harder and way less fair than Doom on UV.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Felt the urge to replay Ocarina of Time, and realized I'd never gotten 100% done so I'm working on that, and holy God is the fishing ever terrible. I have no idea how I did this as a child, though apparently the 3ds one is harder for some reason.
I have to wait for a fish to be where I can catch it, then I spend about 10 minutes casting and trying to entice it, then when it finally does bite I fight it for another 5-10 until it inevitably breaks the line and gets away. Rinse, repeat. It's awful in every possible way.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Putting the Little Things in the thread title, one tiny thing bugging me in Scarlet SaGa is that sometimes in battle you get impossible optional tasks for extra reward, like landing certain debuffs when the enemies are immune to them. Luckily you can "reroll" the optional tasks by doing a different encounter somewhere else, but that's still kinda lame.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The thing dragging down Half-Life: Alyx for me is that it's my absolute favorite type of game and perfectly paced and from my favorite game series and all that, but because it's VR I can't play it casually.

:negative:

Gotta set up a space, gotta set out a block of time, gotta make sure I didn't eat anything, gotta hope I don't get a headache :cry: What if I just wanted to chill and destroy some headcrabs and Combine??

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

The procedurally generated bike game Descenders:

The music is the worst I've ever heard. They're trying to do the sports game trope of having a "soundtrack" on the menu, but as an indie game they obviously can't afford to license real music. So it's just the same five tracks of this weird, terrible EDM looping forever.

I'm kind of surprised about this because I thought that they did pretty well with their soundtrack considering the budget. One thing I noticed is that specific playlists seem to be tied to each area, so if you're bumming around the starting map for ages (or constantly failing the career mode) you're likely to hear repeats.

What you can do is use the button that manually skips tracks to move ahead to something else.

Things dragging this game down, though: changing the radio track in Descenders counts as letting go of the accelerator (a track achievement)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
RPGs please let me create a character under normal lighting conditions, or (whoa) even control the lighting on the creation screen. Stop forcing me to make my avatar in a moody torch-lit dungeon or beneath a blue-green "this is happening in cyberspace" filter, only to have them walk out into the sunlight and it becomes clear I've given them deeply sunken eyes, a powdered face and mucus-colored hair

e: i mean, unintentionally

A HUNGRY MOUTH has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Mar 28, 2020

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The thing dragging down Half-Life: Alyx for me is that it's my absolute favorite type of game and perfectly paced and from my favorite game series and all that, but because it's VR I can't play it casually.

:negative:

Gotta set up a space, gotta set out a block of time, gotta make sure I didn't eat anything, gotta hope I don't get a headache :cry: What if I just wanted to chill and destroy some headcrabs and Combine??

The thing dragging it down for me is that it finally pushed me to get a PCVR headset but my Oculus Quest won't be here until early May...

:(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Doom Eternal axe demons really outstay their welcome. It would be cool if it was just 3-4 times but god does it get frustrating having to replay encounters because of them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In the Lawnmower Man (SNES Version) game there are 10 missable consoles that you need to find scattered through the levels to complete the game, and I think (hope) I've found them all so far now i'm nearing the end of the game. However, I found a console that was hidden in a very rear end in a top hat place. There was a tell - a green screen in the foreground that was unique, so I went behind it and partially into the wall, pressed up and yup, a console. Glad I found it, and hope that I have all the consoles that I need. But wow, despite the hint that's a really mean one.

also I wouldn't know about the consoles if I hadn't sought out the manual online, so that's kind of lovely design. The player has no way of knowing they exist without lucking across one, and no way of knowing they are mandatory. I'm assuming that's "Sell strategy guides/gaming magazines" design right there.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

RPGs please let me create a character under normal lighting conditions, or (whoa) even control the lighting on the creation screen. Stop forcing me to make my avatar in a moody torch-lit dungeon or beneath a blue-green "this is happening in cyberspace" filter, only to have them walk out into the sunlight and it becomes clear I've given them deeply sunken eyes, a powdered face and mucus-colored hair

e: i mean, unintentionally

The Division was pretty bad about this: you made your character in a reflection, so once you were done you got to find out your work was backwards.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Also there should be a law where any game with character customization should allow you to recustomize your character while in the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Morpheus posted:

Also there should be a law where any game with character customization should allow you to recustomize your character while in the game.

Nioh 2 does that. Any time you are not in a mission, you can go back to your hut and completely change your appearance, including your gender.

Dragon Age 2 I remember obliged you to get a DLC for that feature, though I think it may have been free? The Black Emporium. They brought it back for Inquisition as well; can't change your apperance in the base game, but it's a free DLC.

Fallout 3 had it, but you had to unlock it by completing a quest that was meant to be more or less mid-game, though you could do it early. Fallout 4 lets you visit a plastic surgeon as soon as you get to Diamond City.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Mar 29, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

marshmallow creep posted:

Dragon Age 2 I remember obliged you to get a DLC for that feature, though I think it may have been free? The Black Emporium.
It was free but might have been for new copies only?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Nioh 2 does that. Any time you are not in a mission, you can go back to your hut and completely change your appearance, including your gender.

The Nioh 2 character creation screen also lets you change the background and ambient lighting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That they're remaking Neir Replicant and it isn't going to be on Switch

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They're remaking Nier Replicant which is the one with the inferior protagonist. Give me the dad you bastards

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Mar 29, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm mixed on the Nier remake. Papa Nier is obviously better and they're re-recording all the voice acting (which is kinda necessary for the English dub, since it's Replicant and not Gestalt), the voice acting is so loving good in the original dub and I hope the new one is going to be just as good. Also hope they bring back the original actors.

Automata had fantastic voice acting and they brought back Emil's VA, so I'm hopeful they'll do it right.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please not Yuri Lowenthal as brother Nier. Anyone but him. Anyone but him doing the one voice he does.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't mind the fact that they're remastering Bro Nier instead of Dad Nier, personally, simply because I think Bro Nier has a generally less tired dynamic. Nier came out right around the start of the Dad Game Boom, so he did have some novelty and value at the time, but at this point I've frankly gotten tired of Games About Dads, it was a genuinely annoying trend to me, as someone who really doesn't want to be any of the things that are encompassed in the story of 'Being A Dad'.

But you know what we don't have many games about these days? A brother who just really cares about his sister. I feel like that sort of relationship is so important and so critically underserved as a main component of a story, and I genuinely just feel like Bro Nier is the version of the story that has more reason to exist right now. We've got plenty of games about Being A Good Dad (basically none about Being A Good Mom but that's a separate issue), but very few about Being A Good Sibling, and I think that's a shame.

On an unrelated note: I think one of the things I really like about Monster Hunter, especially Monster Hunter World, is just how... logical it all is. Not necessarily intuitive, there's plenty that doesn't quite work how you'd first expect, but once you get what they're going for you can see that it all works in more or less exactly the way it should work.

Except for the Slinger that Monster Hunter World introduced, which is lovely, uncomfortable and doesn't even really feel necessary. It feels like they decided to roll together a few mechanics that they wanted to have there, like a ranged sidearm, a few different utility items, and MH4U's monster mounting, but failed to properly combine it together or with what already existed, it's really awkward and genuinely unpleasant to use. It genuinely disappoints me, because mounting monsters was one of my favorite parts of MH4U, and they kinda just killed it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Where is this inescapable plethora of Games About Dads again? In the AAA space you've got The Witcher 3, God of War and The Last of Us, which while they occupy a lot of weight aren't exactly this sudden overwhelming surge of games concerning fatherhood. It's amusing that many developers who got into the industry 20 years ago started making games with more familial themes once they started having kids of their own but three major releases within a six-year period isn't really a crazy trend.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I genuinely thought that post was a joke, there are too many dad games but not enough anime brother games? lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm sure there is more then enough anime brother games. Check VN genre where you get to gently caress your anime brother

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

God of War
The Last of Us
The Witcher 3
Bioshock Infinite (maybe doesn't count because it's a twist)
The Walking Dead
LISA
Yakuza 6
Heavy Rain

Even if you only look at the first three, while there might not be numerically a lot of protective dad games that's still a big presence within the industry due to how important those games are.

It would be kind of like saying there were a lot of asteroid movies in 1998. Two's not really a lot of movies, but it's weird that there were two.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
8 games over the course of 10 years :eyepop:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Samuringa posted:

8 games over the course of 10 years :eyepop:

rydiafan posted:

while there might not be numerically a lot of protective dad games that's still a big presence within the industry due to how important those games are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Walking Dead I did forget about, all the others on that list are kind of a stretch in either relevance or importance to the games industry as a whole. You might as well say that video games have been plagued by plucky teenage girl protagonists since there's been about as many of those made over the same timespan, with comparable impact.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Important game and critical darling, Heavy Rain

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Important game and critical darling, Heavy Rain

87 metacritic seems pretty well liked by critics to me, yeah

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You ever play a roguelike or really any game where you fill in a map and thought "Man, I wish the fog would randomly come back and obfuscate the world"? Well Cataclysm DDA has your fix you weird, damaged individual. I fully explored a floor in a lab, went down one floor for half an hour then came back and 3/4 of the map was unexplored again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Surge 2 is a really good and fun game that has lots of QoL features for the genre its in as well as exploration tools to make environments more vertical... for the first half of the game. Then the budget ran out and they realized they needed a longer playing time more than they needed more tightly constructed and interesting zones to sell copies so welp repeat areas you already did but now they're basically linear and have ugly lighting effects.

Also the writing/narrative is really stiff and clunky in a way where you can tell they knew how it had to go but didnt have time to stitch it together smoothly so every conversation that moves the story has to do massive narrative lifting so what should be big narrative moments just happen and move on because theres no time this actor can only record 6 lines this afternoon

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, do you also eventually forget identified potion/scroll analogues?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition for PC has a pop up when you first load it saying they changed the controls to be better. Apparently by better they meant broken because going through the tutorial I had broken prompts and eventually learned that they just straight up didn't map some stuff right for the controller.

Also if you were using Windows/PC Game Pass even though there is an update that changes all livery in the app to say it is the Juggernaut Edition you actually have to uninstall the game and reinstall it to get the update.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Some ways into Half Life: Alyx, there's a locked side room from which you can extricate a nice classic frying pan to carry around, shortly before a couple headcrabs walk up on you. But there's no achievement (or even apparent damage) for hitting them with it! What's even the point, Valve?? :arghfist:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried to play Heart of Darkness on my PS2 but the ps1 memory card has ceased to be recognised by ps1 games, although the ps2 still can read it fine, which is really frustrating because I never beat that game and it's got a lot of charm. Also sometimes it goes a bit long without checkpoints, so I have to do a massive puzzle all over again.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Dunno why, but I started playing the Deus Ex games, and figured I'd go chronologically. So I'm sneaking my way through DX:Human Revolution now.

As someone who is very likely to already have broken into, looted, and hacked everything in quest-relevant areas before accepting the quests, it annoys me to no end when the game just magically spawns in an older email or whatever on quest-relevant computers once you accept the quest.
Just had a situation where I had already looted an apartment entirely, but had to go back just to grab a new email and a quest item that had magically spawned in.

For items I can kind of understand it, since Jensen might not care enough about random items to want to grab them / make them interactable for the player.
But it is pretty dumb when it happens with emails, considering how the majority of emails in the game are just filler and flavour.

Kinda wish more quests would let you go whole hog with 'oh, I already did/know that.' kinda like that 1 singular quest in Skyrim where you just go: "Oh, you mean -this- giant dragon slab?'
And just have the game file away 'interesting' stuff like that in a 'I should check that out'-system, which would give the player a heads-up that there might be a questgiver to grant a quest you've inadvertently started.

Still, having fun just being an insane hacker klepto thief again.
(Even though the UI is loving tiny, because it's a fixed pixel size UI, originally designed for 1280x720 on consoles. All the UI elements combined take up like 1/2-2/3rds the size of a credit card, spread over a 32 inch monitor.)
(I guess 'loving 360/ps3 games with fixed UI size' is a pretty relevant 'dragging things down' thing. Since I remember being annoyed at this the last time I played ME3 as well. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tokyo Jungle is stuck on the PS3