Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

For anyone else curious about The Prophecy, a content warning: It contains a scene of a child being groomed and then sexually assaulted, and the perpetrator is portrayed as a heroic character. It's explained away as innocent in the context of the film, but JFC, who the gently caress thought that scene was a good idea :gonk:

Is this the thing where Eric Stoltz's character "hides the soul"? I definitely think that was creepy and weird and I'm not sure why they had to do it that way but I feel like they definitely leaned real hard in what it looked like in the film and the angels in the film are at best presented as "uncomfortably distant and patronizingly morally" and not really "heroic." Matter of fact I feel like the basic moral of the movie is that the angels putting an innocent girl in the middle of this poo poo showed how "evil" they all are and that's how Lucifer somehow ends up on the good side for his own evil reasons and the humans are the good guys.

But its been awhile. And its not like I think Prophecy is a good film or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Yep, that's the scene. I only say heroic because the character sacrifices himself in order to protect the child's identity, but I 100% agree that the angels are dicks. I think the film would have worked a lot better as a trashy supernatural romance. Ditch the child, swap out Elias Koteas with Adrian Paul or David Boreanaz, and introduce some real sexual tension with Virginia Madsen, or better yet with Viggo :swoon:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Yep, that's the scene. I only say heroic because the character sacrifices himself in order to protect the child's identity,
Yeah but I think the end realization is that his concern isn't the child's life, its his war. He's endangering the child for the sake of his war's side. He hide the child's identity so the other side didn't get it. But yeah, at that stage of the film when it happens its a little uncertain and a weird and creepy scene. I do think I probably get why they wanted it to be unnerving and bad, because I think the idea was supposed to be that we're all just "talking monkeys" to both sides. But yeah... a sketchy scene.

drat it. Now I'm adding the Prophecy franchise to my April list. This is getting ridiculous.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I have very fond memories of discovering The Prophecy on Sci-Fi in college so it easily wins. I really miss those days of uncovering completely new-to-me movies like that. “Wow look at that preview for Mindripper, it looks awesome!” (Editors note: it is not awesome)

I’ve seen at least three of those dumb movies.

Also this song is stupidly catchy, plus I can think of this one with samples too. I think “amount of prominent samples in 80s/90s industrial” will be a prominent grading criteria for me going forward

I completely forgot Virginia Madsen was in Prophecy, holy poo poo

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was thinking to myself "Which of the Prophecy movies was Julian Sands in?" and only now realized that in my mind, Warlock is part of that series. Still better than Amityville Horror though. I seem to recall the book getting a bit more respect back in the day than the movie, though the movie certainly was fairly well-known enough to keep making them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The book was a huge deal once upon a time because it was all "true story" and shocking and stuff. But then of course it got all discredited and debunked and the legacy is that it was all a scam.

Also now I want to see a Warlock/Prophecy crossover film. Maybe toss in Wishmaster. Lets have a D List '90s monster mash.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kangra posted:

I seem to recall the book getting a bit more respect back in the day than the movie, though the movie certainly was fairly well-known enough to keep making them.

Only reason this is still in my head is I did a writeup about this when I sat through the Amityville franchise for the Horror thread's October Ironman.

The events the Lutzes claimed happened was a complete hoax. They were in a deep money bind and planned to write a book about their house being haunted since interest in the Occult/Paranormal was still riding the Exorcist wave. Ronny DeFeo's lawyer jumped on the bandwagon since he was trying to get a new trial for his client. The Warrens would also jump on the bandwagon since the Amityville story is what pushed them from the dime a dozen paranormal investigators and into the spotlight. The book that was released would go through a fair amount of post publishing edits when flaws would get pointed out like someone had a certain type car and didn't. George Lutz was a very litigious s.o.b. and was sue-happy over anything that might jeopardize what money he was making off this, with at one point claiming his copyright on the name Amityville Horror also extended to the town name of Amityville (It did not.). The ruling on the latter's why there's a whole bunch of films with Amityville in the title with a close enough picture of the house on the coverbox, but vague if any mentions of murders or hauntings happening before. I'd like to think each film released had George spitting mad at not getting so much as a penny off the where the moneygrab franchise was going. At the time of his death, George Lutz was in the middle of a lawsuit against the studios over the '05 remake since the studio wasn't going to bring him on as a consultant, so he was suing them for defamation.

I highly recommend the book The Amityville Conspiracy by Dr. Stephen Kaplan on the subject.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been rewatching the Leprechauns.

The third one is the only one close to being "good" and watchable. Leprechaun in Space is really annoying, and completely forgets the series's own premise. It's like if the 4th Elm Street movie forgot that Freddy only appears in nightmares.

The series is just not good.

I'm still going to rewatch both of the Leprechaun in the Hoods movie, because what's the point of rewatching them if I'm not going to review the most audacious ones, but I'm not happy about it.

I can't believe this trash beat Puppetmaster. Puppetmaster is fun trash, and y'all let Craig S. Zahler's ONE entry among thirteen ruin a fun series with at least four fun entries.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 30, 2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

The third one is the only one close to being "good" and watchable. Leprechaun in Space is really annoying, and completely forgets the series's own premise. It's like if the 4th Elm Street movie forgot that Freddy only appears in nightmares.

I'm still going to rewatch both of the Leprechaun in the Hoods movie, because what's the point of rewatching them if I'm not going to review the most audacious ones, but I'm not happy about it.

My take on it was it's only the first film and Leprechaun Returns which have the same leprechaun, the rest are different ones and we're being species-ist with all the leprechauns save for the one in Origins looking alike to us. It also explains the differing binding methods and abilities. With that said, I still voted for Puppetmaster since the good/cheesy entries outweigh the incredibly bad.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

[Extreme Homer Simpson internal monologue] The Puppet Master movies had heart, but Leprechaun In The Hood had a leprechaun in the hood.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Splint Chesthair posted:

[Extreme Homer Simpson internal monologue] The Puppet Master movies had heart, but Leprechaun In The Hood had a leprechaun in the hood.

and a full-size baseball bat in Ice-T's afro!

Anyway, this is the last day to vote! Campaign for your faves, draw up a slate and share the link. Results and the Haddonfield bracket knockout round go up late tonight!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I can't believe this trash beat Puppetmaster. Puppetmaster is fun trash, and y'all let Craig S. Zahler's ONE entry among thirteen ruin a fun series with at least four fun entries.

I'm doing the same(first time through for me), and I've only seen the first three so far but yea Puppetmaster 1-3 blow these out of the water.

I do enjoy Davis as the Leprechaun though, he always does a good job and the makeup is good so far.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I have to admit that I was really close to voting for The Purge but Exorcist 3 is so drat good, I just can't.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Franchescanado posted:

Puppetmaster is good for, like, 2 movies? Then the puppets aren't as fun and Toulon gets some weird backstory poo poo.

Lep 1 is an ok horror film. Lep 3 just leans into it being a DTV fest and is dumb as all gently caress and an enjoyable drunk movie. Lep in Space ends with his disembodied hand giving everyone the finger as it floats in space. Cmon man!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Even if the rest of the Exorcist movie were total trash and other than 2 they weren't just on its own Exorcist may be one of the greatest horror movies ever made.

No way it doesn't make it to the final bracket.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The series should prop it up too. The series is great.

There's parts of 2 and 3 I like but I wouldn't really fight for either. But I really like that both found a way to try and do something very different while still holding true to the Catholic/Jesuit core of the first film (and the series). That's not like a theological thing, its just that all the films FEEL like they're part of the same thing which isn't the case with a lot of horror sequels that try and go down a new path but do so at cost of any connection to the franchise. Halloween 3 would be the obvious example.

Nightmare, Chucky, and the Universals would all still maybe beat Exorcist in my book but it might be part of my personal Final Four. Bracket wise Universals and Chucky will have to get past each other but I could see Exorcist and Nightmare advancing. The Haddonfield Bracket is the one I have no idea about. I could see Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Hannibal Lecter sneaking through. That one seems wide open.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 30, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Puppetmaster is good for, like, 2 movies? Then the puppets aren't as fun and Toulon gets some weird backstory poo poo.

Lep 1 is an ok horror film. Lep 3 just leans into it being a DTV fest and is dumb as all gently caress and an enjoyable drunk movie. Lep in Space ends with his disembodied hand giving everyone the finger as it floats in space. Cmon man!

Puppet Master 2 & 3 fully dig into the premise of killer puppets. Puppet Master 4 & 5 still have some good stop-motion, and brings in the insane concept of small aliens fighting the puppets.

I also like the premise of the original Puppet Master, but a lot of people understandably find it boring. Not me, though!

Curse of Puppet Master, as terrible as it is, it my favorite of the "this is entertainingly bad" aspects of the series.

Leprechaun 4 has some really fun things in it. I like the body horror aspects. The problem is everything good about the movie has nothing to do with the Leprechaun, which, again, has dropped the premise established in the first three movies.

I do like M Sinistari's take on that, though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

No shocker here for Night of the Living Dead, but Ghoulies (and Bloodrayne) doing so well both shocked me; I actually like where Human Centipede ended up going as a series.

Final Destination pulls out our first real nail-biter of a victory; Linnea Quigley's graveyard dance and Mudman make Wrong Turn take a U-turn.

I salute you, person who voted for Piranha. Thankfully for you, your vote is secret and I can't rat you out to the mods.

Purge put up a good fight, but there was nothing it could do against the tubular bells of the Exorcist.
Amityville Horror barely survives being outvoted by Bloodrayne, and still gets btfo by The Prophecy.

Next up (in about 1h) we're on to Laurie Strode's haunting grounds in Haddonfield!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 31, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yessss I actually agree with all of these :f5:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no actual evidence or argument of this but I suspect the number of people who have actually watched the Human Centipede and its sequels to judge it fairly are greatly outnumbered by the number of people who are vaguely aware of it and got scared away.

But I could be projecting.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alright trick-or-treaters, time for Haddonfield to make its entrance. Here's your matchups! VOTE NOW! Share this link everywhere!

Halloween, in some form or another, has actually come close to Witchcraft's 16 sequels. But none of Witchcraft's sequels have Busta Rhymes in them.

Honestly could go either way. Blair Witch re-launched found footage, but Basket Case has a head in a basket.

Sometimes Duke plays UNC in the first round, I dunno what to tell you.

Leonardo DiCaprio vs Arnold Schwarzenegger

Vampire vs the Vamp.

Everyone needs to watch Prom Night 2 before voting.

Did you know there are ten goddamned Children of the Corn movies? :aaa:

After slicing up subspecies and serving it with a nice Chianti, Hannibal Lecter is here to psychoanalyze Damien.

:hr::hr::hr::hr::hr::hr:

VOTING ENDS evening of APRIL 3rd! VOTE NOW!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I have no actual evidence or argument of this but I suspect the number of people who have actually watched the Human Centipede and its sequels to judge it fairly are greatly outnumbered by the number of people who are vaguely aware of it and got scared away.

But I could be projecting.

Human Centipede 1 & 2 are better movies--they're objectively good, in my opinion--but I'd rather watch any Ghoulies entry instead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually never seen Predator.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Do you like slasher movies?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I think it's safe to say it lives up to the hype! Haven't seen any of the sequels myself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually seen Predators and Alien vs Predator. Just never the original.

I've been meaning to sit down and watch all the Predator films along with a rewatch of the Alien films since like December and just haven't found the time. I'd include it in April but that feels like way too much of an investment and I rather keep it a little looser with options. Its like... 11 films combined? And at least in my head Predator (and mostly Alien) feel more "sci fi" than "horror" (which is not to say that I don't agree they have a lot of horror in them). But maybe I'll sneak the first one in before the 3rd. But the OP wants me to get Prom Night and Prom Night 2 in too so its a time crunch.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

And at least in my head Predator feel more "sci fi" than "horror" (which is not to say that I don't agree they have a lot of horror in them).

Shrecknet posted:

Do you like slasher movies?
The reason I ask is because Predator is literally a slasher movie, just with nubile teen girls replaced by a murderer's row of badass 80s action movie guys.

Predator 2 is more in line with what you probably think of as a Predator movie. Predators is another straight horror movie, though this one with a surprise Laurence Fishburne appearance, and The Predator is supposed to be a sci-fi action-comedy like a hard-R Men in Black but ends up being a confused mess.

I also can't recommend AVP:Requiem enough, it is just so loving mean and good compared to AVP (which is a loving PG-13 travesty).

also, I didn't say watch Prom Night 1 and 2, just 2.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 31, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way about Alien where I feel like the 1st one is a haunted house/slasher film, the second is more of an action/slasher, and after that I think it gets more sci-fi-ey.

Its been something I've been meaning to do. Its just a lot to invest in because I want to connect Alien with the vs movies and I want to rewatch Prometheus and I've never seen Requiem or Covenant. So like... a project for another time.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 31, 2020

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
People generally hate Requiem but I found the idea of Aliens and Predators wandering into a regular slasher movie with hapless teenagers really funny.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just an aside that I discovered in my latest research: the guy who wrote The Omen, also wrote the Billy Crystal/Gheorge Muresan buddy-comedy My Giant and Willa Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the good one)

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
There is one good Predator movie. Is that enough to overcome how many stupid but fun Critters movies there are? I don't know. I think I have to back Critters there.

And while Jaws vs. TCM as singular movies would be a difficult choice, as franchises it's not even close. There are no good Jaws sequels. Most of the TCM sequels are at least watchable and 2 is almost as good as the first one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sarx posted:

There is one good Predator movie. Is that enough to overcome how many stupid but fun Critters movies there are? I don't know. I think I have to back Critters there.

And while Jaws vs. TCM as singular movies would be a difficult choice, as franchises it's not even close. There are no good Jaws sequels. Most of the TCM sequels are at least watchable and 2 is almost as good as the first one.

Predator 2 gets a lot of love in CineD. I'm gonna watch it before I put in my vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually really enjoy Predators and have weirdly seen it a bunch even though I've never seen the preceding ones. I wouldn't call it a good film, but its a fun dirty dozen action thing with a real good cast. But I wouldn't rush to call it "horror." I wouldn't fight it either, though.

But Critters holds a special place in my heart and Critters 2 is real good. And since we're doing the April Challenge (I hope) they should stay alive long enough for everyone to watch Critters 2 on Easter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsIWTm8kOGY

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 31, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually struggled with Blair Witch vs Basket Case. But I'm a weirdo because I not only count the original as a great film--I'd say it's better than Basket Case as much as Basket Case is a joy--but appreciate the first sequel and actually like the second one.

Not that it impacted my choice too much with Manhunter being counted, but does Hannibal the TV series count in consideration for the Lecterverse?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think we've agreed that stuff like Bates Motel, Ash vs the Evil Dead, and the Exorcist TV series count so I see no reason why the Hannibal TV series wouldn't.

Speaking of, what the gently caress happened to the Critters TV Series? Wasn't it a Shudder series? But its not on Shudder?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I struggled with TCM vs Jaws. The first three TCM films are solid, then they start wobbling into poo poo. Jaws has a spectacular start but the later films get a bit too ridiculous in explaining the shark's reasoning.

STAC Goat posted:

Speaking of, what the gently caress happened to the Critters TV Series? Wasn't it a Shudder series? But its not on Shudder?

It was a Shudder exclusive. Not sure what happened with it but I remember the reviews left on it were less than glowing.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Halloween, in some form or another, has actually come close to Witchcraft's 16 sequels. But none of Witchcraft's sequels have Busta Rhymes in them.

Yet.

Sarx posted:

I just rewatched all four Jaws movies and agree. 2 is a lot duller than I remember, and 3 & 4 are terrible.

M_Sinistrari posted:

the shark's reasoning.

Three word summary of why you should vote for TCM.

Sono fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 31, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I threw Jaws a vote just because I assume TCM is gonna run away with it and I like the original Jaws more than I do the original TCM and all the sequels I've seen are meh at best.

But I'm planning to go down the rabbit hole with TCM in April so maybe I'll do so quick enough to switch my vote. But like I said, I don't expect it to really be a race.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Honestly could go either way. Blair Witch re-launched found footage, but Basket Case has a head in a basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tOOYAfIn7k

The Basket Case films are a dumb, joyful, sleazy, grimey, funny, gorey, charming series about the love between two brothers. What really elevates them is the compassion everyone involved clearly has for their characters. These aren't just films about a murderous head in a basket, they're films about a murderous head in a basket that will warm your heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I voted Basket Case because I only really like the Blair Witch original, and all three Basket Case movies deliver exactly what you want from them, nothing more, nothing less.