Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

They don't launch battleships, but Gigastructural Engineering does have Attack Moons. :v:

Man those attack moons are making think of reinstalling star ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You follow a consistent build order... except when you don't. It's trivially easy to just get the AI to do the same thing every time but as an actual opponent it would crash and burn, because it doesn't have the ability to make small adjustments as a player can.

I'm going to have to sit down and write out my script next game I start and then see if I can bash it into a mod. The problem case I'm seeing, and maybe just handling it would be outside the scope of the mod, is loving USELESS POPS THAT CAN'T WORK CERTAIN JOBS.

...I ended up with a docile race migrating in next to my robots, and between the two I'm having to juggle a lot more poo poo than usual to get my bureaucratic and researcher jobs filled.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
So I got the Zroni precursor chain and after the second step it spawned the next in my friendly neighbors territory, which they promptly excavated themselves?

E: years later I think the AI did two intermediate steps and the end system spawned so I spent ~600 influence to steal it from the middle of my ally’s territory. And now I notice that hive minds can’t do the psionic ascension, oh well. At least I have the artifact and a load of dust to sell on the market.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

OctaMurk posted:

Good to see you outside of the middle east thread!

Lol haha thanks I’m usually in C-Spam, and in the Doom and Nintendo threads.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll look into those expansions!

luxury handset posted:

what is your preferred playstyle? warlike? diplo? luxury space communism?

Thanks for the advice!

As far as playstyles lol I have no idea, I heard from someone that this game was like that old Star Trek Birth of the federation so I was curious for a while about it, when I Heard it was $10 on the paradox store i just figured I’d go for it, I think if I were to estimate I guess I’ll try gay space luxury communism, but I’ll try to be like the Star Trek federation whatever that might mean lol. I’m going in pretty blind.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Here are some beginner tips:

I'll break down the DLC.

Must-have:

Utopia - Adds Megastructures, space habitats, new government types, ascension perks, ability to uplift/abduct primitive species, play as Hive Minds.
Apocalypse - Adds Doomsday weapons, Titan-sized warships, Marauder empires.
Federations - Diplomacy rework! Adds the Mega Shipyard and Juggernaut, a big fuckin' warship. Adds lots of new Origins for your species to start as, like beginning on a Ring World, a Relic World, as a Fallen Empire's Vassal, etc.

Holy cow! Thanks for all this that’s super helpful! I’ll pore over this as I play the game!

It seems like buying the must have expansions are going to add another 40 dollars to the purchase... I guess I should first play the game for a few days then decide whether I’d like to invest more into it... but this helps focus my choices enormously, thanks! I guess if push comes to shove utopia or federations sound like the most essential expansions...

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

As far as playstyles lol I have no idea, I heard from someone that this game was like that old Star Trek Birth of the federation so I was curious for a while about it, when I Heard it was $10 on the paradox store i just figured I’d go for it, I think if I were to estimate I guess I’ll try gay space luxury communism, but I’ll try to be like the Star Trek federation whatever that might mean lol. I’m going in pretty blind.

it is entirely viable to do a friendly everyone gets along playthrough. the empire civic "shared burdens" is the communist one. combine that with "free haven" to pull pops from other empires and do some flavor of xenophile. you'll have to roll your own empire as there are no preset empires in vanilla stellaris which use shared burdens, i'm actually not even sure that civic is in the base game now but it's probably been patched in

don't neglect your military. even if you aren't being warlike, neighboring empires will jump on you if they can and there are more than a few types of empire who default to "kill everyone" mode

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

luxury handset posted:

don't neglect your military. even if you aren't being warlike, neighboring empires will jump on you if they can and there are more than a few types of empire who default to "kill everyone" mode

Hey now some of them are just really, really hungry.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also: megastructures sound really cool and fun but they come way, way late into the game so don't start getting dreams of building a ringworld unless you specifically optimize for that

for a first playthrough it's probably best to just bumble along exploring the wonder of the cosmos and trying to be everyone's space pal

e: except for the empires who want to murder you, turn you into a slurry, enslave you, or devour you whole

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I decided to do some digging around and yes, Void Dwellers purposely start with two moons in their special home system that provide one mineral.

There are no instances anywhere else in the game where 1 mineral deposits spawn/are allowed to spawn.

You cannot build habitats over moons.

WHY DO THESE ONE MINERAL DEPOSITS EXIST, PARADOX. WWWHHHYYYYYY.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I keep trying to make slavery work and it just keeps not being worth it, the pops from AI empires or primitives are all lovely so outside of stealing a bunch of them via barbaric despoilers or nihilistic acquisition they just get in the way of your species pops from growing, and you can't even colonize planets with them so if you get an arid preference pop type and you live on alpine worlds they just sit there being poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnEdgelord posted:

I keep trying to make slavery work and it just keeps not being worth it, the pops from AI empires or primitives are all lovely so outside of stealing a bunch of them via barbaric despoilers or nihilistic acquisition they just get in the way of your species pops from growing, and you can't even colonize planets with them so if you get an arid preference pop type and you live on alpine worlds they just sit there being poo poo.
What? This makes no sense.

If your ethics let you bother with slaves you can set their ability to grow new pops to NO. If you can bother with slaves, you can set their ability to Colonize on or off.

Though yes slaves are poo poo on non-preferred worlds, unless you do Domestic Servitude and make sure they dont work an actual job.

They are incredibly useful to work your basic resource jobs so your good pops can work real jobs, and because they take less housing or amenities than a standard pop that means more housing and amenities for non-slaves while still having the same number of building slots opened up.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

It seems like buying the must have expansions are going to add another 40 dollars to the purchase... I guess I should first play the game for a few days then decide whether I’d like to invest more into it... but this helps focus my choices enormously, thanks! I guess if push comes to shove utopia or federations sound like the most essential expansions...

I would simply wait for a sale. Paradox games go on sale on Humble Bundle all the time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Federations - Diplomacy rework! Adds the Mega Shipyard and Juggernaut, a big fuckin' warship. Adds lots of new Origins for your species to start as, like beginning on a Ring World, a Relic World, as a Fallen Empire's Vassal, etc.

You get the diplomacy rework even if you don't have the DLC. The only diplomacy stuff it adds afaik are the non-Vanilla Federations with special bonuses.

Also the origins are split between different DLC. Most of them are in Federations, but stuff like starting on a Relic World is attached to the Ancient Relics DLC.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah for slaves you absolutely want to either concentrate them all on one planet (Livestock) or enable population controls and ban them growing.

e: Since Spiritualism is basically dead, I guess I should swing hard the other way and really try to understand Technocracy. Any recommendations for the other ethos point? Xenophobe has to be the strongest option by far right? I usually prefer playing one species anyway.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 27, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I keep trying to start with the federation origin, but our start cluster always ends up horrible where one of us can't expand. They need to fix this for people who like playing on .75 hyperlanes. God forbid you cut them in half...

Anyway, what's the consensus OP build for 2.6 so far?

Also, WHY can we build multiple temples (or whatever unity building applies)?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I keep trying to start with the federation origin, but our start cluster always ends up horrible where one of us can't expand. They need to fix this for people who like playing on .75 hyperlanes. God forbid you cut them in half...

Anyway, what's the consensus OP build for 2.6 so far?

Same kept happening to me on 1x hyperlanes and a 4 spiral medium

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I decided to do some digging around and yes, Void Dwellers purposely start with two moons in their special home system that provide one mineral.

There are no instances anywhere else in the game where 1 mineral deposits spawn/are allowed to spawn.

You cannot build habitats over moons.

WHY DO THESE ONE MINERAL DEPOSITS EXIST, PARADOX. WWWHHHYYYYYY.

I keep seeing instances of 1 energy on stars and poo poo and it pisses me the gently caress off because that only covers the cost for the station being built. Like :wtc:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They changed Temples to directly mimic CG factories and Alloy Foundries in that the basic is 2 jobs/no Strategic Resources, the 1st upgrade is 5 jobs/1 rare upkeep, and the 2nd upgrade is 8 jobs/2 rare upkeep, I think? Also they split the tier 4 version off into its own thing, which is a decently good 20% Spiritualist attraction, 5 Priest jobs, and 1 High Priest job for only 1 rare upkeep.

I keep seeing instances of 1 energy on stars and poo poo and it pisses me the gently caress off because that only covers the cost for the station being built. Like :wtc:
I have never ever ever seen 1 energy or 1 mineral in the base game, and the files confirm that 1's of either should not be spawning - are you playing modded?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Religion has been a mechanic the devs have talked about wanting to add and I imagine Spiritualists will get a lot more interesting once they get around to that

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I just wish they'd fix ethic shifting to actually, you know, work.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kenlon posted:

I just wish they'd fix ethic shifting to actually, you know, work.

I recall them saying they had done that for 2.6, did it actually, um, happen?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hell no. Ethics shifting is still obnoxious and will still create dozens of lovely factions that cripple your influence income.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think all they actually changed was that you start with a wider variety of pops with differing ethics so you start the game with at least one lovely faction that is always pissed at you. Otherwise -

And Tyler Too! posted:

Hell no. Ethics shifting is still obnoxious and will still create dozens of lovely factions that cripple your influence income.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
The whole "POP GROWTH IS KING :byodame:" thing is getting a little tiresome. Like, yes, pops are the most important things but that doesn't mean that every single thing that boosts pop growth is worth sacrificing for. Rapid Breeders is good, robots are good, but going for Nutrional Plentitude right out of the gate is a Bad Move That Will Hurt You, and Inward Perfection has a growth boost but will straightjacket your gameplay in pretty much every conceivable way (which is only getting worse now that diplomacy is actually worth participating in).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What's wrong with Nutritional Plentitude? Like yeah don't turn it on if you're close to running a deficit and I can see the argument for having fewer farmers so that you can have more other stuff at the beginning of the game, but the sooner you can turn it on and leave it on the more insane those benefits become over time. It's a Value vs Tempo choice where the Value is so huge and the loss of Tempo is so small that I always turn it on as soon as I'm able

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

What's wrong with Nutritional Plentitude? Like yeah don't turn it on if you're close to running a deficit and I can see the argument for having fewer farmers so that you can have more other stuff at the beginning of the game, but the sooner you can turn it on and leave it on the more insane those benefits become over time. It's a Value vs Tempo choice where the Value is so huge and the loss of Tempo is so small that I always turn it on as soon as I'm able
This is the same thing I do because even if it is tiresome, more pop growth now means more profit later.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dallan Invictus posted:

They've found some more bugs in the ethics shifting. It definitely won't work until the next patch or so.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've seen drift happen in 2.6, aggressively enough that it had to be better than what was before. I popped the worm/loop storyline, and it ate my entire empire into 100% pacifists when I was auth/militarist before (because anyone not my primary race had no vote). Suppressed the faction (because duh) and soon enough the other ethics&factions start cropping up. I wish I'd remembered how long it took to reach equilibrium again, as that was basically a perfect test case for it. A decade maybe for happiness to return to normal?

There's also that nice % breakdown of what the ethics are ideally drifting to along the top, I think that's new?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ulmont posted:

They've found some more bugs in the ethics shifting. It definitely won't work until the next patch or so.
This is good to know. I have thrown the book at my pops - Conformists, One Vision, Harmony tree perk, Information Quarantine edict, Fear Campaign edict, Promote a good faction while hindering the bad faction, Deep Space Black Site, Spiritualist buildings, and the Unity Ambition "Hearts and Minds", which increases chance of shifting by 100% and NOTHING CHANGES.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

A 10% global bonus doesn't do much when you only have one planet (and maybe two colonies with a 50% growth penalty), and those extra farmers require jobs (aka pops) that are really at a premium in the early game. Once you get your economy rolling then yeah, turn it on. But early on you're paying a lot for a very marginal benefit.

If, on the other hand, you leave it off and run Encourage Planetary Growth on your capital, then it doesn't really cost you anything since stockpiled food is mostly pointless, and you get a much larger growth bonus that isn't wasted on planets that won't benefit from it. That's what I mean when I say you need to pay attention to what you're spending vs what it actually gets you.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Food is never and should never, be an issue. if lithoids minerals are even less of a concern because you get them from the very stars

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jabarto posted:

A 10% global bonus doesn't do much when you only have one planet (and maybe two colonies with a 50% growth penalty), and those extra farmers require jobs (aka pops) that are really at a premium in the early game. Once you get your economy rolling then yeah, turn it on. But early on you're paying a lot for a very marginal benefit.

If, on the other hand, you leave it off and run Encourage Planetary Growth on your capital, then it doesn't really cost you anything since stockpiled food is mostly pointless, and you get a much larger growth bonus that isn't wasted on planets that won't benefit from it. That's what I mean when I say you need to pay attention to what you're spending vs what it actually gets you.

That surprised me, so I looked up some numbers:

Standard pop: 1 food/mo
Standard growth: .03 pops/mo
Nutritional Plenitude: 25% extra food for 10% growth and 5% happiness
Encourage Growth: 1000 food for 25% growth for 10 years

Encourage Growth gives exactly .9 pops over 10 years.
Cost of Nutritional Plenitude over 10 years, for a planet starting at 14 pops and ending at 18: 10y * 12mo * ~16pops * 25% = 480 food, gives an extra .36 pops

That's about 1333 food/pop compared to the planetary decisions' 1111 food/pop. 17% more efficient.... except you have to stockpile 1k food first. And you don't have 5% happiness. It'll take, what, 4-5 years to stockpile 1k food at around +20 food/mo? I'm not going to bother factoring in the 5% happiness's effect on stability and job production.

tldr: Nutritional plenitude is fine.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

That surprised me, so I looked up some numbers:

Standard pop: 1 food/mo
Standard growth: .03 pops/mo
Nutritional Plenitude: 25% extra food for 10% growth and 5% happiness
Encourage Growth: 1000 food for 25% growth for 10 years

Encourage Growth gives exactly .9 pops over 10 years.
Cost of Nutritional Plenitude over 10 years, for a planet starting at 14 pops and ending at 18: 10y * 12mo * ~16pops * 25% = 480 food, gives an extra .36 pops

That's about 1333 food/pop compared to the planetary decisions' 1111 food/pop. 17% more efficient.... except you have to stockpile 1k food first. And you don't have 5% happiness. It'll take, what, 4-5 years to stockpile 1k food at around +20 food/mo? I'm not going to bother factoring in the 5% happiness's effect on stability and job production.

tldr: Nutritional plenitude is fine.

Well poo poo, that was some legit good number crunching. I stand corrected.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If I convert a planet with spore vents (or any other event generated planetary feature) into an ecumenopolis, will it remove the feature?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dallan Invictus posted:

No. You start with a wider variety of ethos, but people still don't seem to change their ethos ever.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wish factions were more fleshed out as a concept depending on your starting ethics or government type.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Ihmemies posted:

Uhh hmm yes. So the tiny outliner allows me to see most/all planets at a glance.. and I only need to react when there's a red flag next to the planet.

I just thought that I could simply forget most of the planetary management.. how hard can it be for the AI to build more alloy factories or houses when neccessary :v:

Planey automation is still in the "broken feature" category.

I wish the code just defaulted to "build or upgrade anything"

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

AnEdgelord posted:

I imagine Spiritualists will get a lot more interesting once they get around to that

Counterpoint: I imagine that we'll all conjecture some cool spiritualist stuff up out of nothing in here, but any actual expansion addressing it will be seriously half-baked, won't tie in to existing game systems, and will never be meaningfully revised after it comes out.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Counterpoint: I imagine that we'll all conjecture some cool spiritualist stuff up out of nothing in here, but any actual expansion addressing it will be seriously half-baked, won't tie in to existing game systems, and will never be meaningfully revised after it comes out.

Man, I disagree with this mainly because the last two dlcs (Ancient Relics and Federations) have been stellar in including previous game systems. Federations came with an excellent hive mind revamp after years of neglect, for example.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

Planey automation is still in the "broken feature" category.

I wish the code just defaulted to "build or upgrade anything"

Great. Year is 2340 and I now have 45 habitats/planets to lord over. I think I have won the game by playing machines and leaving the difficulty to too low. Captain and no scaling difficulty is not enough.

Or maybe it is those null void beams? 500% efficient vs. shields and plasma rips through the rest. I had a 40k vs my 30k fleet and the enemy just melted away with massive, massive casualties. There went that devouring swarm's fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I'm in the middle of a war and I completely occupied one of the enemy's vassals and then they just completed subject integration and now all my conquered stations flipped control back to them.