Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Leto II is fash, but ironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Leto II is fish, but metabolically.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We are all fish

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I just finished the second book and there's nothing about Ix in there. Do they show up more in the third book? I wanna know about the machine planet!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

!Klams posted:

I just finished the second book and there's nothing about Ix in there. Do they show up more in the third book? I wanna know about the machine planet!

Ixian machines and characters are in from God Emperor onward.

Also featured in House Atreides, but thats a fanfic

I feel like Ix and Tleilax are the least fleshed out bits in og Dune

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 27, 2020

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Ix and Tleilax start out as marginalized forces that no one really likes because they gently caress around too much with machines and genetics respectively, but they're too useful to destroy. They're not as fleshed out as others but God Emperor, Heretics, and Chapterhouse delve more into it.

The Ixians (no one cares about the prequels) are pretty much the leftover remnants of capitalist society overthrown during the Butlerian Jihad. They build all the advanced technology, but their greatest innovations occur under Leto II. He doesn't destroy them because his mere presence will lead them to developing the very technology (no-rooms, no-ships, and, later during the Scattering, No-planets) that humanity will need to fulfill the Golden Path. They work closely with the Tleilaxu to make Leto's waifu which is what finally, they think anyway, brings him down. No-ships are invisible to prescience and can go FTL without navigators so they cuck the guild pretty badly. It seems like the ones who went into the Scattering developed some powerful weapons (planet destroyers, neutron bomb beam things, magic anti-time net) and maybe Cyborgified themselves but we will never know and it isn't really important.

The Tleilaxu are a bit more complicated. They love loving with genes and making poo poo people need. Everyone thinks they're just weird little dwarf-elves who make like replacement parts and patch your computer, but they're actually secret patriarchial Zen Islamists who have been working forever (achieving a sort of immortality through gholas) to make perfect slaves who can assume anyone's identities and memories. They genetically engineer Leto IIs waifu, make the Duncan gholas, turn the last Duncan gholas into an absolute sex king (presumably to stop the Honored Matres and gently caress all the BG into submission), and learn how to make space on demand. But before they can carry out their master plan they all get killed except one by the Honored Matres. Oh and their Face Dancers think they're the people they replaced so kinda a failure and all their women are giant lobotomized wombs. The ones that go into the Scattering presumably make all types of crazy poo poo in addition to space human-cats and two Face Dancers (Daniel and Marty) that eventually rebel and steal some Ixian technology

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I liked the reveal in Heretics (?) where Waff was like "you know we look like creepy little goblins on purpose right? To put everyone off guard? We control genes so if we wanted we could just look like statuesque supermen."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I feel like that it's strongly hinted in Dune that only when they discover Duncan can regain their memories is when they gain true immortality.

Also, I always have a secret hope that Dune 7, which never got written, would have been the final part of the 2nd trilogy (the two trilogies separated by GEoD), and that the final book would be the downfall of the Ixians and Tleilaxu.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Axlotl tanks are the weirdest things to come out of DUNE and that is saying a lot.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

WarMECH posted:

Axlotl tanks are the weirdest things to come out of DUNE and that is saying a lot.

They sounds hosed up, what are they? I thought the Tlielaxu had tanks that were just like, for bringing people back to life? Is that them?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

!Klams posted:

They sounds hosed up, what are they? I thought the Tlielaxu had tanks that were just like, for bringing people back to life? Is that them?

It's people! Axolotl tanks are made of peopleeeee!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

!Klams posted:

What's more life-giving than a woman's bloated womb with the woman's mind turned off?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

!Klams posted:

They are giant wombs, the remnants of the female Tleilaxu. Not clear if they're consciencThe beauty of Herbert's writing is that a lot is left to the imagination but yeah at first you think they're just artificial wombs but nope

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
The tanks are the pro life movement's goal for women brought to its final, horrifying, conclusion.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

If it's a twisted ghola, The tank has a way of shutting it all down

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
One of the few bright spots of the failson prequel books is the discovery that the very best Axlotl tanks are made from Bene Gesserits.

Of course in their hands, it became more of Duniverse prequel checkbox of "Here's why the Bene Gesserits hate the Tleilaxu" but there were some intriguing elements that in more capable hands could have been expanded into a really powerful sci-fi/sociological/horror story.

There's a scene of the Bene Gesserit (captured, I think?) being drugged and losing her mind to become the tank. On one hand it read like failson & Anderson using it to show how bad it "merely" is for any woman to become a flesh factory. But if you read it with the all of the backstory of Bene Gesserits from Frank's books in your head, it's actually incredibly powerful; a member of a long-running organization of women who have used their minds expertly over their bodies as their strength, forcibly losing that ability become a factory component.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

They are giant wombs, the remnants of the female Tleilaxu. Not clear if they're consciencThe beauty of Herbert's writing is that a lot is left to the imagination but yeah at first you think they're just artificial wombs but nope

Herbert includes a similar concept in Hellstrom's Hive, where the hive has developed the "stump", essentially a torso on external life support used for reproduction. IIRC they stumped both men and women.

Some authors would go into far, far too much detail on axlotl tanks / stumps, leaving you with the impression that he's writing one-handed, but Herbert sketches things in pretty lightly, to the point where you can figure out what's going on but that's about it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pham Nuwen posted:

Herbert includes a similar concept in Hellstrom's Hive, where the hive has developed the "stump", essentially a torso on external life support used for reproduction. IIRC they stumped both men and women.

Some authors would go into far, far too much detail on axlotl tanks / stumps, leaving you with the impression that he's writing one-handed, but Herbert sketches things in pretty lightly, to the point where you can figure out what's going on but that's about it.

Yeah, it's explicitly mentioned that the hive makes sexual stumps out of both men and woman.

Body horror (or really any kind of horror) works best when it's deliberately vague and suggestive, rather then spelled out in explicit detail.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Cheesus posted:

One of the few bright spots of the failson prequel books is the discovery that the very best Axlotl tanks are made from Bene Gesserits.

Of course in their hands, it became more of Duniverse prequel checkbox of "Here's why the Bene Gesserits hate the Tleilaxu" but there were some intriguing elements that in more capable hands could have been expanded into a really powerful sci-fi/sociological/horror story.

There's a scene of the Bene Gesserit (captured, I think?) being drugged and losing her mind to become the tank. On one hand it read like failson & Anderson using it to show how bad it "merely" is for any woman to become a flesh factory. But if you read it with the all of the backstory of Bene Gesserits from Frank's books in your head, it's actually incredibly powerful; a member of a long-running organization of women who have used their minds expertly over their bodies as their strength, forcibly losing that ability become a factory component.

That's a neat idea but is dumb in Dune.

The Bene Gesserit dislike the BT long before they find out (in Heretics) that the tanks are made from females or that the BT are actually trying to take over the universe. They are both genetic manipulators, but the BG are much more careful and subtle about it, while the BT carry out crude, reckless experiments. The BG, for all their manipulation, wish to preserve humanity and elevate it (with them guiding it, of course) and the tinkering of the BT could really gently caress up everything. They make mindless slaves, likely do some sort of human experimentation (twisted mentats), and really use direct manipulation as a blunt instrument in the view of the BG.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I dont know posted:

Yeah, it's explicitly mentioned that the hive makes sexual stumps out of both men and woman.

Body horror (or really any kind of horror) works best when it's deliberately vague and suggestive, rather then spelled out in explicit detail.

Good horror writers know this. Even Lovecraft, and he deliberately used antiquated language for evocative effect. It's really easy to tell when a 'horror' writer is either trying way to hard to be shocking, obviously describing their masturbation fantasies, or both.

Though ironically it also plays to the theme in Dune that despite the seeming motivations of the Jihad, imperial society is if anything worse about using people as tools, not only with the feudal structure and the cloning shenanigans but things like Mentat training and Suk conditioning that become detrimental to free wil, and the Gene Besserit manipulating and breeding people like prize horses.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I dont know posted:

Body horror indeed. I'd stand in line to volunteer to hand-carry a backpack nuke into the hive. I've read a fair amount of horror, and the hive just inspires an existential loathing like nothing else. If it existed, I'd need to do anything to eradicate it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

We are all fish

A fish called Prana

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shageletic posted:

A fish called Prana

Do you know where you'd be without us the good ol Corrino Imperium here to protect you? The smallest loving province in the Harkonnen Empire! Without us you'd all be speaking Bene Tleilax and going hhhmmmmmm ahhhhhhhh

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I should read thread before posting

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

kiimo posted:

Do you know where you'd be without us the good ol Corrino Imperium here to protect you? The smallest loving province in the Harkonnen Empire! Without us you'd all be speaking Bene Tleilax and going hhhmmmmmm ahhhhhhhh

death!

for wanna!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

inb4 "a witch called wanna"

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I dont know posted:

*Glares at R. Scott Bakker *

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

You Fremen! You think you're so superior, don't you? Well you're the filth of the planet! A bunch of pompous, badly dressed, poverty stricken, sexually repressed crysknife-wielding hooligans!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Don't call me Beast!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Suk conditioning has nothing to do with blowjobs. I looked this up."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Dick-sukking lips stained with the juice of Sapho, the stains become a warning, it is by will alone I set my mouth in motion

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Suk without rhythm unless you want a spice blow

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna be pretty pissed off if I drown in my own fluids before getting to see this movie, redistribute my water to the goons

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Koirhor posted:

Gonna be pretty pissed off if I drown in my own fluids before getting to see this movie, redistribute my water to the goons

I was a friend of Koirhor...
(Do you have a coffee machine I can grab?)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Anne Frank Funk posted:

:vince:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Forgot to quote this days ago because drat.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Remember the pre-escalator days when a quote like that would be enough to tank a political campaign, lmao

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

The hunter seekers aren’t autonomous, just remotely operated. The one that attacks Paul was being controlled by a dude immured in the basement. Obviously something that we would call a computer is involved but it’s not like the machine is making its own decisions about who to ice.

a cask of spice-winetillado

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

KaptainKrunk posted:

That's a neat idea but is dumb in Dune.

The Bene Gesserit dislike the BT long before they find out (in Heretics) that the tanks are made from females or that the BT are actually trying to take over the universe. They are both genetic manipulators, but the BG are much more careful and subtle about it, while the BT carry out crude, reckless experiments. The BG, for all their manipulation, wish to preserve humanity and elevate it (with them guiding it, of course) and the tinkering of the BT could really gently caress up everything. They make mindless slaves, likely do some sort of human experimentation (twisted mentats), and really use direct manipulation as a blunt instrument in the view of the BG.

Not only this, but the BG pragmatically accept the tech when they receive it. "Volunteers were found". And in Messiah the BG are working with Scytale with only the barest distaste. The main problem the sisterhood has is that they see the Tleilaxu as tools of the Golden Path, as Leto pretty obviously maneuvered them into spreading his religion, they actually gain respect when it is revealed they are using the Tyrants religion to cover their much older beliefs. It is something the sisterhood might do themselves, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Phi230 posted:

a cask of spice-winetillado

*slams fist*

They're finding these Fortunatos much too easily.