Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

Good luck getting one from Boots, you can't even access the website right now

From my dad yesterday,

quote:

Just closed the pharmacy I'm in today for the rest of the day, for the safety of the staff. People very threatening and abusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Said on tv this morning that Boots will be doing the tests for frontline staff in specially set up places not in their stores.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My take away from this is that southerners are monsters because there is an orderly queue outside the boots near me same as Tesco and I haven't seen any fighting at any shop

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Jose posted:

My take away from this is that southerners are monsters because there is an orderly queue outside the boots near me same as Tesco and I haven't seen any fighting at any shop

Aye, same in Middlesbrough. My wife queued outside Tesco for nearly an hour and said there wasn't a single problem.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jose posted:

My take away from this is that southerners are monsters

can confirm

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

ThomasPaine posted:

What the gently caress is 'survival sex' and why does this guy brush past the phrase so easily as if we all know what it means :stare:

For the preservation of the species, consent is not required?

It's a hilarious read. He's clearly decided that his moment has come. The world has ended, and he's going to start a couch to 5k fitness programme now that things are going wrong. Preparation is something you traditionally do in advance of the event.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

sebzilla posted:

Gove is neither human nor bat, surely he'll be immune

IDS though :ohdear:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Endjinneer posted:

It's a hilarious read. He's clearly decided that his moment has come. The world has ended, and he's going to start a couch to 5k fitness programme now that things are going wrong. Preparation is something you traditionally do in advance of the event.

lmao

:siren: ICBM INBOUND. SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY :siren:

'They never listened, they never read my posts', sighs Ice Phisherman as he plugs in the brand new treadmill he ordered from Amazon a week ago.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Endjinneer posted:

Oh no, it's prostitution for basic needs. So someone has food, and you need food, and they need their dick sucked, and well that's not rape. It's just capitalism.

Basically anyone talking about it outside a sociological journal is probably a prepper nutjob and very likely an absolute piece of poo poo.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ktb posted:

If it's the Fodmaps you can still have the oil soluble flavours so if you peel a load of garlic and simmer for 15-20 mins in olive oil then strain it you can use the oil and it's got a pretty strong garlic flavour. If anyone in your house still eats garlic they can use the confit garlic remaining to spread on toast. Also small amounts of the green parts of leeks and spring onions are likely to be ok which means wild garlic leaves probably are too but they're not listed anywhere for definite.

These guys have a lot more info and have tested loads of stuff for fodmaps.

Edit: obviously not recommending anyone change their diet without talking to a doctor. This is just a good resource for checking fodmap levels in foods.

I might try this at some point, thanks!

More on topic, a spanish friend sent me some article this morning about how the queen totally has corona, and another friend sent me "Well, I guess Charles got what he always wanted, he's finally been coronated."

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A little survival sex might be in my cards soon sinceI can’t get universal credit cause it needs a phone call to complete the application and the phone lines have been melting down the last week.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Screaming at the tv - why is Johnson asking Trump for help with ventilators when he rejected the EU help with ventilators? Grrrr.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Screaming at the tv - why is Johnson asking Trump for help with ventilators when he rejected the EU help with ventilators? Grrrr.

Oh come on now, think about it. It's not that hard.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Trump who's solution to his own ventilator shortage is screaming 'GOTTA GO FAST!' at car companies

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dell_Zincht posted:

Oh come on now, think about it. It's not that hard.

Yeah it was a rhetorical question.
loving morons in No 10 and the Whitehouse.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It seems sadly inevitable that in about a month we'll be despairing as many of these quickly assembled ventilators put together in repurposed car factories fail and people begin dying in ICUs.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I want to ventilate bojo with my fist

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I anyone considering buying some clippers?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jippa posted:

just lmao if you haven't been cutting your own hair for the last 20 years

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jippa posted:

My mum has had a set since I was around 16, which was maybe used twice.

She got rid of it in January and is quite annoyed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I wonder if we're going to see a huge spike in MRSA deaths when overcrowded, understaffed hospitals with substandard equipment become the new norm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

lmao if you have cut your hair at all in the last 20 years.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Answers Me posted:

So, uh, when was the last time Priti Patel was seen in public? You'd the Home Secretary would have some visibility in a crisis. I assume Dom has locked her in a cupboard so she doesn't become a PR disaster

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1243539421640765442?s=21

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

What is 'haircut'

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

So she's dead? Please please please!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Necrothatcher posted:

It seems sadly inevitable that in about a month we'll be despairing as many of these quickly assembled ventilators put together in repurposed car factories fail and people begin dying in ICUs.

We've been here before:

wikipedia posted:

The Sten, especially the Mark II, tended to attract affection and loathing in equal measure. Its peculiar appearance when compared to other firearms of the era, combined with sometimes questionable reliability made it unpopular with some front-line troops. It gained nicknames such as "Plumber's Nightmare", "Plumber's Abortion", or "Stench Gun". The Sten's advantage was its ease of mass-production manufacture in a time of shortage during a major conflict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Don't read about the early dialysis machines from the 40s :stare:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ST0NEHENGE/status/1243800025555230720

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Don't read about the early dialysis machines from the 40s :stare:

You mean sausage skin isn't a reasonable component for a piece of life-saving equipment?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The police have turned away caravans and campervans heading for Pembrokeshire. It's crazy, it's not as if Wales has a plethora of ICU beds. Someone suggested ICU should now stand for I Cymry yn Unig - For Welsh Only (Though the soft mutation would change it to I Gymry yn Unig, but you all already know that.) It is crazy that people are still treating it as if it's an excuse to 'get away'.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You mean sausage skin isn't a reasonable component for a piece of life-saving equipment?

Don't forget the beer cans and bits of washing machine!

the prototype was built from junk by a dutch guy during the nazi occupation

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Lungboy posted:

So she's dead? Please please please!

"It's not appropriate to do contact tracing at this phase of the outbreak" or words to that effect was what I heard from the government.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The outside stuff and distance for the check-outs is all working at the Tesco in Fratton, but inside there is no set route or anything like that actually inside the store so it kind of defeats the purpose

We went to our local superstore at about 9pm to avoid the crowds and they had the whole store done up with a one way system so you couldn't cut through on each aisle down the middle of the store and had to go the full length down each. A few people still pushed their way through the barricades though, natch.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 28, 2020

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
RE: haircut chat I was pretty bummed about shaving my head bc I'd just found a haircut that suited me and didnt read "girl" but it actually feels really cool and liberating imo.

I've had the wahl 'color pro' clippers for probably ten years and they only cost about a tenner or so, strong recommend.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We've come full circle now and some Vegan sausages use cellulose ester membrane skins that are the same as the Visking tubing of the 80s.

Mulva posted:

Oh no, it's prostitution for basic needs. So someone has food, and you need food, and they need their dick sucked, and well that's not rape. It's just capitalism.

Basically anyone talking about it outside a sociological journal is probably a prepper nutjob and very likely an absolute piece of poo poo.
tbf he did say that survival sex is a bad thing and something that increases during disasters along with domestic abuse; it's the rest of the post that's lol

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Prince John posted:

"It's not appropriate to do contact tracing at this phase of the outbreak" or words to that effect was what I heard from the government.

Well, the Tories have always been ignorance is bliss type people.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have those clippers for idiots which have a guard which wraps around the whole front and moves up and down, so it’s actually impossible to mess up with them.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Today's breakfast birbs are a fat goldfinch:

and I finally caught the robin sitting still long enough to get a photo:

E: few more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/Iohq9hs

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 28, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I've told you before. Stop doing this alt right poo poo.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Lol:

https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/1243849640648335361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Trip report from my local Tesco Superstore.

We went last night at 6pm and it was fairly quiet, but shelves were pretty bare.

We managed to get something equivalent to most of the stuff we usually buy, but in a lot of cases they were the last things on the shelf.

There were no queues for going in and out, but they did have a policy of closing off one aisle completely while they restocked it. They were only doing that on one aisle hen we were there though so i dunno if it was that effective. We were there for a half hour and they were still just stocking that isle. Could have been short staffed but could also just be that Tesco isn't that great. I dunno.

The only things i wasn't able to get was toilet paper and cereal. The store seems to be perpetually out of stock, but I think there's a link there.