Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Always Bring All The Lenses.

They're not that heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

They're not that heavy.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Execudork ends up like jacob marley in the afterlife, only instead of being weighed down by chains and lock boxes they’re lugging around a bunch of fast telephoto primes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

They're not that heavy.

Ready to roll!

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

xzzy posted:

Ready to roll!

takin' pix, gettin' fit

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ijyt posted:

I've not been out shooting for a while, and I'm heading out of town for the weekend and want to bring my camera, I only want to bring 2 lenses with me, thinking a 50 and either a 24-70 or a 70-300, any thoughts on the two lenses you wouldn't leave home without?

I always bring my 90mm f/8 and my 135mm f/5.6.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ijyt posted:

I've not been out shooting for a while, and I'm heading out of town for the weekend and want to bring my camera, I only want to bring 2 lenses with me, thinking a 50 and either a 24-70 or a 70-300, any thoughts on the two lenses you wouldn't leave home without?
500mm f/4 and a 1.4x teleconverter.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ijyt posted:

Just use an 8 mm fisheye and crop as needed.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Crop? Crop?! Ugh. Might as well toss the camera all together and just make photoshop renderings.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

President Beep posted:

Crop? Crop?! Ugh. Might as well toss the camera all together and just make photoshop renderings.

Unless you are shooting on 8"×10", you are already cropping.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That’s actually what I exclusively use. Really sucks for sports and wildlife though...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

Execudork ends up like jacob marley in the afterlife, only instead of being weighed down by chains and lock boxes they’re lugging around a bunch of fast telephoto primes.

I do seek an honourable afterlife, 'tis true.

My 500/4.5 is from the mid-1960's and weighs something like 3.8 kg. Every time I don't have it with me, I see a bird species I have never seen before. This might also have something to do with the fact I moved to Australia 14 months ago and nearly all the 800 species here are new to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone at work keeps a bird sighting blog for the campus and it's the only reason I bring my 600mm with me every time I come out to take pictures even though I don't give a poo poo about birds. But I could be convinced to give a poo poo if I got an epic photo of one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’m heading off to Moab and Monument Valley for a week later this month. On this trip, I’d like to make an earnest effort at astro photography.

I’m bringing a Nikon Z6 with a 24mm F1.8 and a 24-70 F4 plus a remote shutter control. What I can’t seem to get a straight answer is how long a shutter speed can be without capturing star trails. Is 20 sec too long or just right? Additionally, is there any other info I should know before burning time without much to show?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's based on your focal length. Look up the 500 rule:

https://petapixel.com/2015/01/06/avoid-star-trails-following-500-rule/

If you still see trails in the field adjust from there.

All I could add is practice focusing in the dark before you get out there. Live view is the easiest way these days but it may take some practice.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

xzzy posted:

It's based on your focal length. Look up the 500 rule:

https://petapixel.com/2015/01/06/avoid-star-trails-following-500-rule/

If you still see trails in the field adjust from there.

All I could add is practice focusing in the dark before you get out there. Live view is the easiest way these days but it may take some practice.

Have you used Starry Landscape Stacker, or any similar programs to make a multi-image composite?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bloops posted:

Have you used Starry Landscape Stacker, or any similar programs to make a multi-image composite?

Yes, but they've all been "learning experiences" and have all been unusable disasters. So I'm not much use on advice. Other than telling you it's harder than it sounds and needs practice. :v:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I need an external monitor for my Surface Pro. Ten minutes of research leads me to the BenQ SW2700PT, which is part of their "photographer" lineup. At $599 it's a bit more than I was planning to spend. I'm not a pro and I don't do a ton of prints. Should I just get a Dell UltraSharp or is the BenQ clearly superior?

e: gently caress it, BenQ Direct had a refurb for $437 so I jumped on it

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 12, 2020

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Actually now that I’m reading a review it m not sure what I’ve gotten myself into

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I was taking photographs at night from a tethered balloon. And I couldn't find a shutter speed that would give me enough light and deal with motion of the balloon even with the lens wide open and the ISO cranked way the hell up. Is there anything special I just don't know about how to help myself with situation?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

I was taking photographs at night from a tethered balloon. And I couldn't find a shutter speed that would give me enough light and deal with motion of the balloon even with the lens wide open and the ISO cranked way the hell up. Is there anything special I just don't know about how to help myself with situation?

Keep cranking the iso, get a lens that lets you go wider, or a newer camera.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
At some point with night shots you're just going to have to use a tripod (and not take photos while on anything that moves)

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Tethered balloon would be moving though?

Other tips would be take lots of photos, use the 2 or 10 second delay on your camera.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

huhu posted:

Other tips would be take lots of photos, use the 2 or 10 second delay on your camera.

A tethered balloon is still going to be moving slightly. Definitely enough to produce camera shake.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

huhu posted:

Yeah I know that's why I mentioned the bit in parentheses. When it comes down to it, trying to take decent photos at night on a moving balloon sounds like an exercise in futility.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
If the movement of a tethered balloon is to bounce in and out along the radius of its tethered circle, try to shoot at the moment when the radius is smallest?
If instead the movement is to drift back and forth along the circumference of the circle, try to shoot at the moment of the change from moving clockwise to counterclockwise and vice versa?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Yeah I know that's why I mentioned the bit in parentheses. When it comes down to it, trying to take decent photos at night on a moving balloon sounds like an exercise in futility.

Yeah. I was hoping there would be enough light from the skyline to offset it. But there wasn't. I was too far away from the LA core for light pollution to work for me. But the ride was free and I had nothing else to do that night so I figured I'd give it a try. So it was a learning experience.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's a good $1200-ish camera for doing baby photos etc that's not a point and shoot/cell phone

My buddy suggested Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 four thirds, says it does amazing video

Open to other suggestions

Mega, mega MEGA bonus points if it has a USB-C port for data/charging

Other than my wife's iPhone all our phones/tablets/laptops/headphones/gaming consoles/VR bullshit are USB-C so would like to keep it down to one charging cable

edit: I had a Cannon FT QL back in the day and my wife has an 09 nikon so I'm famliar-esque with SLR stuff, ISOs shutter speed etc

second edit: Fujifilm X-T3 is about $1300 and has USB-C charging/data, thoughts?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433839-REG/fujifilm_16588509_x_t3_mirrorless_digital_camera.html

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 28, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Fuji x-t3 is an incredibly good camera but for 1300 you’re not getting a lens. The X-T30 is the T3’s little sister, essentially, with the same sensor and very similar specs (including USB-C) but in a more budget friendly housing, and BH has a few kits that have it with a lens for under your budget, or you can just the body for about $800 and still have enough money left over to buy the f/2 prime of your choice, all of which are amazing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

yeah go for the X-T30, it's almost as much in a smaller and cheaper package. X-T30 should come with its dedicated battery charger but will also work plugged in ala a smartphone via USB-C (I have the X-T20 and it uses an older plug but still works perfectly with an iPhone or iPad power wall wart, makes travel so much easier now).

Fujifilm is good stuff and there are plenty of lenses for this family of cameras at various price points, from "good" ($350-500) all the way to "real photo money" ($1000-plus). So save a bit on the camera itself and shift towards having a second or third lens option.

Best beginner options for lenses are the 18-55 f/2.8-4, or the 23/2, 35/2 or 50/2 prime lenses (non-zoom but wider, super sharp and fast autofocus).

also the X-T3 and X-T30 don't just use USB-C for data, many current cameras can send photos via wifi/Bluetooth to smartphones or tablets. another option to take your wonderfully artsy baby photos and send them to friends easily.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh yeah, they are basically the same camera under the hood. I do like the smaller form factor. Smaller cameras inevitably come on way more trips.

The only difference that matters to me is that the X-T3 is "weatherproof" -- we spend about 16 hours a week on the boat in a saltwater environment. They are hard hours too, typically 12-25mph winds and a lot of splashy splashy. My experience with consumer electronics in saltwater is that they fail pretty rapidly. Especially switches etc. I have several non-IPX rated bluetooth stereos that otherwise work but the switches have failed.

Watched this video and I'm pretty much sold on either the X-T3 or X-T30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhHjlatu-LU

I'm really impressed with the detail that he's able to pull out of those gray ocean photos ( @ 18:25-20:00). We have a lot of days like that on the boat and being able to pull additional color/detail out of photos and video. I'm sure other cameras can do it, but that's really nice to see it done with that specific camera.

This is not my video (I'm in the boat on the right at the beginning though!) but this is a good idea of what most of my photos/video look like. It would be really nice to mount the camera to the back rail like this guy did (his is probably a go pro?) and then pull out a bunch of image detail by bumping up the contrast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd0vXXI3vaQ

Any idea what software he's using for photos? What software does he use to "grade" the f log video? I would love to be able to pull that kind of color/depth/contrast out of my video/photos

Pretty concerned that the X-T30 camera's switches etc would just fall apart strapped to the back of a boat like that after a year or two. The biggest downside to the T3 for me is the extra size.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 28, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would guess that's all GoPro because they're more weatherproof and smaller. The X-T30 is "small" but it's not exactly GoPro/action camera sized.

GoPros are good for that sort of purpose, while weatherproof sports compact cameras like Fuji's XP1xx series might be a good alternative (and are $150-$250, which is not much in $photobux).

You might be best served with a X-T30 for taking-nice-photos times, and getting a cheaper GoPro to take on the water if you want videos like the sample given. If you want to just take photos while out on the boat, maybe be serious about keeping the nice camera in a waterproof bag?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My experience with $150 sports cameras has been that if it's not a beautifully sunny day the image they produce is grim at best

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Hadlock posted:

The only difference that matters to me is that the X-T3 is "weatherproof"

The EVF is the other big difference between these two cameras.

Anybody else expecting Fuji to do a big sale very soon? I’m sure they’re catching up on X-T4 and X100V demand but I’m expecting deals on lenses and probably the X-T30 and X-T3.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

Anybody else expecting Fuji to do a big sale very soon? I’m sure they’re catching up on X-T4 and X100V demand but I’m expecting deals on lenses and probably the X-T30 and X-T3.

I think they -- and everyone else -- is going to be staring down the barrel of parts supply shortages and having to keep workers at home due to the pandemic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Also second an X-T30/3

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Been shooting small clips with my various smart phones over the years, like of my kids doing cute things etc.
Been dumping all these in a folder and always had the intention to "doing something" with them, like cutting out the boring parts, maybe combining some of them together, etc. and now with the situation the planet is in i find myself with spare time for hobbies like these.
Is there any software that is easy to use that lets me do this? Preferrably with some sort of "timeline" (not sure the industry term) where i can see the clip and can drag a slider back and forth to find the bits i want. Would also be great if it was free, though i am not looking for Windows Movie Maker.
My iPhone can do this and it does it really fast but i did not have the foresight to do this while the files were still on the phone.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
DaVinci Resolve is free and fairly easy to use while also being powerful enough. It's pretty well supported, so if you get stuck you can just type 'How do I <thing> in Davinci Resolve' into Google and find a bunch of useful guides.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
That sounds perfect, thanks!

I really like how most of the software is free but to get the features mostly professionals need you gotta pay.
Thats a great way to get lots of people into their evosystem which in turn makes it easier to get help which in turn gets more people in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Not sure if this thread is the best fit for this question ... but what should I think of an ebay seller who is "Top Rated Plus" but only has a little over 100 transactions? I am talking about a relatively rare item, and while the price is low, it's not too good to be true, and returns are accepted.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll find out.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 8, 2020