Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Opening up my island for a little bit, e: CLOSED
Northern Hemisphere, I've got pears but don't shake my trees please, I'll drop a stack if you ask for some.
It's currently raining if you're still after a Coelacanth, and Mabel's here selling some dope stuff.

Plus the nooklings are selling some garbage if you're into that sort of thing.

Bland fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given the seasonal events are apparently DLC I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of plans for long term support.

I wonder how they'll handle those events in Southern Hemisphere islands, at least making some cracks about how the Christmas reindeer is in summer while Bunny Day is when the snow is starting to fall.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Concerning the small amount of content and not having enough to buy, I can only assume that the game wasn't completely finished and will receive free updates down the road (and I'm sure paid DLC of some type, unfortunately). Luckily I haven't really hit the point where I feel the game has too little of items. Being able to add items to your outdoor area is a game changer for me and I'm constantly having bouts of inspiration. I've also not looked at the data mined / TT discord area so maybe I should prepare myself for the worst.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
when does your original tune play? can you toggle it on or off? I made one thou I still heard the regular hourly music (not that I'm complaining I haven't listened to it all yet)

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder how they'll handle those events in Southern Hemisphere islands, at least making some cracks about how the Christmas reindeer is in summer while Bunny Day is when the snow is starting to fall.

I mean, that’s how it is down here, so it’s not that weird. Easter is in fall and Christmas is in summer

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the seasonal events are apparently DLC I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of plans for long term support.

The Easter one is a free update, not DLC. I don't think paid seasonal events would go over well.

I'm trying to think of what paid content Nintendo could put in the game without making it actively worse. I think paid clothes or furniture sets would just poo poo on the whole point of the game.

A full on expansion with newly developed mechanics could work I suppose. A new main building with a bunch of activities I'd be happy to pay for - as long as it doesn't feel like something that should've been in the base game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think my overall concern for the game is that there's nothing to really spend bells on. I think they cut a little too much content out to be perfectly honest.

There's the house bill for upgrading your home- and you get a smaller home than any other game I'm pretty sure which is terrible. There's the bridges and whatnot but after that you've got nothing big to save for- removal of Gracie and her brand of stuff means there's no hyper expensive goofy sets to save up for, and most furniture items are like... 2000 bells which you can get with a single butterfly. From what I understand there's so little to buy that the shop only upgrades a single time?

I like the DIY stuff but I'm not sure if it's going to have anywhere near the lasting power as New Leaf did due to there being nothing to really save up for so quickly and I think it's a pretty fair concern to have.

I like the game and I plan to play it for as long as I can but it's lasting power just doesn't seem to be as strong.

https://twitter.com/Nemo2342/status/1243896873275912193?s=20

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DuhSal posted:

when does your original tune play? can you toggle it on or off? I made one thou I still heard the regular hourly music (not that I'm complaining I haven't listened to it all yet)

Your town tune isn't background music. It's the little jingle that plays when you go through doors, talk to animals, and is also the hourly chime of the clock tower. Not 100% sure on the last one, but it was in previous games.

stev posted:

The Easter one is a free update, not DLC. I don't think paid seasonal events would go over well.

I'm trying to think of what paid content Nintendo could put in the game without making it actively worse. I think paid clothes or furniture sets would just poo poo on the whole point of the game.

A full on expansion with newly developed mechanics could work I suppose. A new main building with a bunch of activities I'd be happy to pay for - as long as it doesn't feel like something that should've been in the base game.

I always thought DLC wasn't necessarily paid. It's just... downloadable content. Content that is added later, paid or otherwise.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah, blue black or purple.

IronicDongz posted:

Yep, diagonals work.
Blue or purple or black flowers.

Whoa, that explains why I have not seen a single one, thanks.

It's the last bug besides 'fly' (and I don't have any trash?) and 'ant that I gotta get this month.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Silver Falcon posted:

I always thought DLC wasn't necessarily paid. It's just... downloadable content. Content that is added later, paid or otherwise.

Technically yeah I suppose. I think DLC is much more commonly used for paid stuff though whereas free stuff is just called updates.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

My island is also open for anyone who wants to come by to get more stuff from Mabel. She has some face bandages as the best thing I think. Northern Hemisphere, turnips are trash, and feel free to take any fruit off the trees (got everything but peaches fruiting right now.) Also a decent place to hunt peacock butterflies

Dodo: closed

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 28, 2020

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Friends I think something is amiss with my island.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The house doesn't seem smaller to me, though I only have the one main expansion, no other extra rooms.

I have the complete opposite opinion on what is available to spend bells/miles on; it feels like everything is expanded by 2 or 3x. My last AC game was City Folk like ten years ago, but this feels way more robust and filled with content, even if it seems like it'll be a while before it's all truly unlocked.

And then there will be the updates, because apparently Nintendo plans on supporting this game for quite a while (it's selling like crazy, btw), so I'm looking forward to all of that.

I posted earlier ITT about how I was finally struck with just how much I was making this game my own, and that hasn't let up whatsoever since unlocking the RS building. In fact, it's gotten better in that respect.

Here's hoping Brewster shows up sometime. :ohdear:

Edit: it probably helps that my wife and I play nightly while talking with friends of ours, who are also playing.

I have the three main rooms and they come in their starting size and never get bigger- which they always got bigger in older games for 500k or so. (The top floor is like a strange hallway/attic in shape too for what it's worth). It's just getting those rooms costs a lot more- and the sting of less things to buy is mostly hitting with the fact that I just don't have anything to decorate a house with as a LOT of furniture sets are just gone now. From what I understand there's a lot less item wise in this game then a good chunk of the series, and a lot of whats left seems to be made specifically for decorating the island- not the house.

I'm fine with content updates and DLC but it's leading me to worry that a lot of islands are going to wind up feeling close to the same because there's a lack of variety.

There's a lot to love with New Horizons! I think it takes a lot of great steps forward honestly! It's just the downsizing of things to do that kind of sucks.

Yeah I heard the crown was still in as it's a series staple. Wonder if the tiny crown is or if it's cut.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Bland posted:

Opening up my island for a little bit, H465N.
Northern Hemisphere, I've got pears but don't shake my trees please, I'll drop a stack if you ask for some.
It's currently raining if you're still after a Coelacanth, and Mabel's here selling some dope stuff.

Plus the nooklings are selling some garbage if you're into that sort of thing.

I'll swing by for a bit. I'll bring some apples, oranges, and peaches for ya.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think my overall concern for the game is that there's nothing to really spend bells on. I think they cut a little too much content out to be perfectly honest.

There's the house bill for upgrading your home- and you get a smaller home than any other game I'm pretty sure which is terrible. There's the bridges and whatnot but after that you've got nothing big to save for- removal of Gracie and her brand of stuff means there's no hyper expensive goofy sets to save up for, and most furniture items are like... 2000 bells which you can get with a single butterfly. From what I understand there's so little to buy that the shop only upgrades a single time?

I like the DIY stuff but I'm not sure if it's going to have anywhere near the lasting power as New Leaf did due to there being nothing to really save up for so quickly and I think it's a pretty fair concern to have.

I like the game and I plan to play it for as long as I can but it's lasting power just doesn't seem to be as strong.

Nah the house is smaller than New Leaf, but bigger than any other game. The main room is 8×8 like all the other games and the final upgrade to the attic and basement make them 6×10 so they are just as big just in a different way. Where it loses to New Leaf is the side rooms never get any bigger than 6×6 which is disappointing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think you can embiggen the rooms after you get all of them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Novasol posted:

Friends I think something is amiss with my island.

God drat you all to hell!

Re:Bells- If you don't have anything to spend your bells on, that implies you've also paid off the final 2.4 million bell loan. If you've done that inside of a week then you have won Animal Crossing and can now retire.

I've only paid off the second room addition as of yesterday and I consider myself someone who has played this game way too much over the past week.

I'm not saying anyone is playing the game wrong, but we are definitely not what the game has in mind. In a few days we'll be in the Easter event with plenty more to do I imagine and still more at the end of the month. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed because the game has less to offer initially than New Leaf (although I can't agree) but it's safe to say it won't stay that way for long.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

God drat you all to hell!

Re:Bells- If you don't have anything to spend your bells on, that implies you've also paid off the final 2.4 million bell loan. If you've done that inside of a week then you have won Animal Crossing and can now retire.

I've only paid off the second room addition as of yesterday and I consider myself someone who has played this game way too much over the past week.

I'm not saying anyone is playing the game wrong, but we are definitely not what the game has in mind. In a few days we'll be in the Easter event with plenty more to do I imagine and still more at the end of the month. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed because the game has less to offer initially than New Leaf (although I can't agree) but it's safe to say it won't stay that way for long.

Nah, I haven't paid off the attic or anything. I just don't think 3 mil is that big of a target when you can get that all in a single good turnip markup or a small handful of trips to spider island. Hell just bored fishing sometimes gets me 120k+ at night

I just stopped paying off the house because theres just no furniture for it. I put a few things in I think look nice but literally everything I get seems to be 'wouldn't this look better in a yard?' so a lot of it is empty or the same block poo poo that everyone has after building the three houses.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hope seasonal events don't impose too much decoration on your island. I hate when games completely gently caress up their aesthetics for a month for every event. Destiny was the worst for that.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Had to close the island due to a communication error. Is this a common thing or is my internet not great?

Thanks Rarebit and Rhymea for the fruit!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

stev posted:

I really hope seasonal events don't impose too much decoration on your island. I hate when games completely gently caress up their aesthetics for a month for every event. Destiny was the worst for that.

Generally due to town structure the AC ones don't, and it's pretty clear the Resident Services building has a large paved space specifically for event setups.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'd honestly say you lost at the game if you managed to farm what, 5M bells in a week?

To each their own but that is the exact opposite of what I want to get out of Manimal Tossing :zoid:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Far as I can tell Timmy and Tommy don't sell set furniture anymore it's just stuff to compliment the sets you can make through DIY and their variants so you can get unlucky and have them sell something you saw yesterday except in a different color. I think what would help is if they sold an assortment of DIY recipes beyond the ones they have. You're only guaranteed 2 a day, one on the beach and one from your neighbor.

At that point it's up to luck if you get one from a balloon present and God drat it game just give me the Ironwood and cutting board recipe so I can make this kitchenette. :argh:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Have you been shaking trees for furniture? I think there's two furniture trees a day.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffle! posted:

Have you been shaking trees for furniture? I think there's two furniture trees a day.

There is, but I assume the Ironwood Dresser and Cutting Board are DIY only furniture.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Waffle! posted:

:psyduck: i forgot all about this

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Waffle! posted:

Is there a list of things like this for new players? Only reason i 'know' about the money tree is a random post.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Heads up for those that don't know there's also 5 wasps on your island per day. If you snag all 5 without getting stung you get a reward.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hold up you can catch ants in this one, right? I just got an ant farm furniture from a tree, so what cage do the ants have now?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

giving me an entire island to decorate is better than saving up bells for a chair but that’s just me

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Is there like a sign post item in this game you can write notes on? I'd love to leave little messages and such around my island.

Stux posted:

giving me an entire island to decorate is better than saving up bells for a chair but that’s just me

Yea I'm dying to get my hands on terraforming because I'm gonna flatten this entire island and reshaping it in my image.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Policenaut posted:

Is there like a sign post item in this game you can write notes on? I'd love to leave little messages and such around my island.

Look in your Nook phone, you can leave custom design easels and paintings on the ground right away. You also unlock a wooden shop sign at some point that you can put the designs on and set up anywhere.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Reopening my island because I realized Pango has the mum flower crown recipe available if anyone wants it. Already posted in the Discord channel. I'll be afk for awhile

Dodo: M0DT2

Edit: She's on the far left section of the island, mid-center. White house with navy roof iirc.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 28, 2020

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Stux posted:

Yeah, I never was too much into the house decorating in New Leaf but NH has me chomping at the bit every day for more items to decorate my island.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

Mabel's in town today if anyone wants to come say hello!
Dodo: edit: closed for now, thanks for visiting!

Chuck Bartowski fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 28, 2020

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
If I live in the northern hemisphere, are there any good bugs or fish that stop showing up at the end of March? I gotta at least make an attempt before waiting for a whole year.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Are there any known DIY recipes that use the gold nuggets? They're a great source of income but I feel like I'm gonna need them eventually

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Hobo Clown posted:

Are there any known DIY recipes that use the gold nuggets? They're a great source of income but I feel like I'm gonna need them eventually

The robot hero needs 10 of them.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Opening up my village for a while. Help yourself to any fruits you like. I've got cherries, coconuts, apples, and pears.

Mabel is also in town, and it's raining.

edit: closed!

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Finally picked this up, got coconuts, pears, and cherries planted and a wall of fishtanks around my tent while I wait out the museum opening.