Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

;_____;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Check out my new office:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s a loving good office.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

drat i'm very jelly of that office.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Japan just instituted a quarantine for incoming travelers from a bunch of countries including the US. So....My trip is officially dead.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Mine probably is to but I'm not cancelling until at least may. My reasoning being that I don't know what Monday is going to look like, let alone nearly 2 months from now. And also that I just really do not want to be in this country

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Upside is that after 14 days of quarantine, jet lag won’t be an issue anymore.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Business of Ferrets posted:

Yep. It's just enough time to adjust before flying home and adjusting again.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The problem is the planned trip is only 10 days

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The good news is that pretty much every airline (and many hotels) are all HEY PLEASE RESCHEDULE IT'S FREE AND poo poo right now, so good time to move things around.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i can't find if xiamen is doing this atm, but i also haven't looked very hard

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

nothing short of armed guards are keeping saitama out of tokyo on a weekend

ok they're showing pictures of the city on the news and it looks like saitama's made a liar out of me. gj saitama.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I know there's a lot of serious poo poo going on these days but if anyone with a Japanese Yahoo account has some spare time and wants to help me out with an auction, please send me a PM. I'm trying to work with a proxy service but they're only able to get answers from the seller sporadically. I can go into more detail over PM, I'd still be using a proxy for shipping and payment, just trying to get some questions answered first.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Business of Ferrets posted:

I've been home since the 8th, I still can't sleep normal because I didn't have a schedule to return to and never left my house so it didn't matter if stores were open or friends/family were awake. Without any of that you just kind of don't reset, and since I saw no point in trying to fix it right away, I still can't sleep at night, and I crash hard in the middle of the afternoon or early evening. I've woken up with my phone on my face at 1am numerous times. I am feeling very well rested though, because I'm simply letting myself sleep when my brain wants it most.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is bullshit.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stringent posted:

This is bullshit.

This whole year is fuckin weird

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ntan1 posted:

Except I live in the state that is possibly handling this the best, CA. (and more specifically, SF bay area which has had hospitals report that they have less people than usual because nobody is out partying).

lmao

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

This is bullshit.

where was this poo poo on weekends in January when we had time and could go outside and there were mountains to go ski <:mad:>

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

where was this poo poo on weekends in January when we had time and could go outside and there were mountains to go ski <:mad:>

right???

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Ken Shimura dead https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2020/03/30/entertainment-news/comedian-ken-shimura-dies-hospitalized-coronavirus/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Was supposed to go this May for three weeks but decided to reschedule for October for obvious reasons. Now I'm sort of thinking I might push until December and reduce to a week just to be in Tokyo for the Christmas/New Year season since I've never done that. I'm planning on going next May for three weeks anyway, and this way it gives things another two months to play out before I have to decide on cancelling yet another trip.

So since I'm only planning on one week, city hopping is probably out of the equation and I have to decide whether I'm doing Christmas in Tokyo or Osaka.. Or maybe a third wildcard entry? Not sure I want to do Hokkaido anything in Winter. Okinawan Christmas anyone? :q:

e: I mean this is obviously assuming we get to some normalcy in the next six months which is very much not a given, just planning out loud to cope with depression of trip cancellation :smith:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

as far as i can tell xiamen isn't doing poo poo wrt trips that aren't possible, so rip me i guess. at least i can cancel the airbnb at no significant cost

time to go sleep forever now while i'm stuck in this shithole

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

So since I'm only planning on one week, city hopping is probably out of the equation and I have to decide whether I'm doing Christmas in Tokyo or Osaka.. Or maybe a third wildcard entry? Not sure I want to do Hokkaido anything in Winter. Okinawan Christmas anyone? :q:

Sapporo, while cold, is an awesome city in winter. You could easily spend a week doing it and the surrounding area, daytrips to Hakodate, Otaru, Yoichi, Asahikawa. There's usually decent snow cover by that time of the year too, so you could easily throw in some boarding/skiing somewhere as well.

I have no idea what Christmas is like in Okinawa but it's not far enough south that you could for example spend Christmas at the beach. Average high is 21C, according to Google. Would definitely be off-season.

Tokyo and Osaka shouldn't be too much different from one another. Dunno if you're aware but Christmas in Japan is more about having some romantic dinner than a family holiday. It's one of the few countries in the world where it isn't a national holiday, so Christmas day for most people is just another weekday.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stringent posted:

This is bullshit.

Coupled with the lack of tourists in Japan, it makes for some lovely imagery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkYg-zRsUsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZv7jfW_puw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCgRagHIWQ

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Christmas and New Year's Eve in Kyoto and Kobe sounds very good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
poo poo!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phone posted:

poo poo!

Talk to the airline, hotel, etc. directly rather than loving around with the credit card people.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah, i looked into it and was like "eh, this might be my ace in the hole" since i've gotten a bit of pushback from hotels over canceling. one of them was like, "oh yeah, sure no problem. poo poo's crazy right? thanks!!" (shoutouts: richmond hotels; thread please do not tell me that the founder is even more of a shithead than the apa guy)

i told the chase to deal with delta since i paid for half of it with points and delta straight up canceled their KIX <> SEA route until 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phone posted:

(shoutouts: richmond hotels; thread please do not tell me that the founder is even more of a shithead than the apa guy)

Nah they’re owned by the group what owns Royal Host, so I think it’s safe.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Sapporo owns and is the best food city i've been to in Japan. I ate so well there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cancelling because travel is impossible seems significantly different than disinclination

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

AirBnB extended the dates that qualify for full refund under extenuating circumstances BTW.

I jumped the gun too early and only got a partial refund so I ate $500 on one of my AirBnBs but I'm asking them to see if they can extend the refund to the full amount now. Unlikely but can't hurt to ask.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

AirBnB extended the dates that qualify for full refund under extenuating circumstances BTW.

I jumped the gun too early and only got a partial refund so I ate $500 on one of my AirBnBs but I'm asking them to see if they can extend the refund to the full amount now. Unlikely but can't hurt to ask.

I was in a similar boat and got the full refund, so it wouldn't surprise me if you'd be able to work something out.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JP post will stop accepting international mail/packages from April 2 (temporary).

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200331/k10012360861000.html?utm_int=nsearch_contents_search-items_002

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

JP post will stop accepting international mail/packages from April 2 (temporary).

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200331/k10012360861000.html?utm_int=nsearch_contents_search-items_002

lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

But still sending to the US and UK. Odd choices.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm waiting for the full list to get published today x____x

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

harperdc posted:

But still sending to the US and UK. Odd choices.

gotta keep the sega saturn trade alive

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Looks like entry ban from the US is going into effect soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops guess it’s a bad time to start bidding on stuff on Yahoo auctions.

E: oh wait it’s the other way around

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 1, 2020