Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
That's your choice man. And you're going to have to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I'm on day 10 and wondering if I should use my cures (that I'm lucky to have enough of) to cure as many of the infected kids as I can or if I should try to treat them so they don't just get infected again. But I don't have enough tinctures or infected organs to really cure all of them.

Wish I knew the answer too but unfortunately only you can choose here...

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I think I'll cure as many of the sick kids as I can. Even if I treated them, there'd still be the chance they could die which is what happened to Notkin, and that just can't happen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really hope they get to finish this game someday. I still think about it occasionally, it's so good

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

In Training posted:

I really hope they get to finish this game someday. I still think about it occasionally, it's so good

it's so loving good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Ryo33147906/status/1238270524528230402

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I'm loving this game so far and so glad hbomb did the vid on 1. I also died like a jackass by jumping off the stairs to nowhere in town on day 2 only to get lectured by Mark. gently caress you Mark that wasn't a steep jump you jackass.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Now that I've finally got my PS4 key, one questions before I start:

Main game or Marble Nest first?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CottonWolf posted:

Now that I've finally got my PS4 key, one questions before I start:

Main game or Marble Nest first?

Marble Nest is much shorter and more of a mood piece than a full game. I'd say it's fine to just dive right into the main game., but Marble Nest is interesting on its own merits. It will definitely get you in the right mindset for the game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Marble Nest is much shorter and more of a mood piece than a full game. I'd say it's fine to just dive right into the main game., but Marble Nest is interesting on its own merits. It will definitely get you in the right mindset for the game.

Cool. I think I'll Marble Nest first then.

Cheers!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Is this doing ok on PS4? I can't seem to find any good info on it. I really want them to be able to do 2 more full campaigns, even as paid dlc if they have to, and my last hope is kind of banking of console sales maybe not being poo poo.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Weird BIAS posted:

I'm loving this game so far and so glad hbomb did the vid on 1. I also died like a jackass by jumping off the stairs to nowhere in town on day 2 only to get lectured by Mark. gently caress you Mark that wasn't a steep jump you jackass.

:lol: I just did this last night. Tried shutting the game off before Mark's map loaded but the game increments the death count as soon as it happens.

Also the PS4's performance suuuuuuuuucks. Every few feet textures and poo poo pop in. Load times are agonizing. The game often stops for 10-15 seconds to load in sounds like drinking/looting/etc. Even the inventory art often takes a few seconds to draw!

Still better than walking my fatass over to the PC, though.

Also, yes, I have the PS4 Pro.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
It's bugging out and making people/buildings unusable as well.

olives black fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 21, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finished a second run through, because it feels appropriate. Can someone fill me in on what Rubin was doing? That is probably the only quest I never got around to doing. The second ending is pretty haunting, but overall I wouldn't really recommend a full second run. Too many of the mechanisms that added to the oppressive atmosphere the first time are just tedious the second.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

Finished a second run through, because it feels appropriate. Can someone fill me in on what Rubin was doing? That is probably the only quest I never got around to doing. The second ending is pretty haunting, but overall I wouldn't really recommend a full second run. Too many of the mechanisms that added to the oppressive atmosphere the first time are just tedious the second.

I'm not sure if you ever actually find out in this game, since in the first game it was part of the Bachelor's story rather than the Haruspex, but from the first game:

He is dissecting the body of Simon Kain to try to develop a vaccine. This is why the kin are so pissed at him - he is not a menkhu like Artemy and so this is extremely taboo

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Ahh gently caress the PS4 only let's you save 100 times and I've been saving like crazy between my first failed run, my marble nest run and my new run. Pretty great that I now have to close the application without a current save after harrowing through some areas, that's fine, thanks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Weird BIAS posted:

Ahh gently caress the PS4 only let's you save 100 times and I've been saving like crazy between my first failed run, my marble nest run and my new run. Pretty great that I now have to close the application without a current save after harrowing through some areas, that's fine, thanks.

Wait, what? You can't even overwrite saves?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Nope, displays a system message and tells you to go to the management app, which will ask you to close the game. Not great.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Weird BIAS posted:

Nope, displays a system message and tells you to go to the management app, which will ask you to close the game. Not great.

Yep, I ran into this too. The PS4 port is a mess.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Considering the namesake, wouldn't change it for the world haha. Still angry about it but I was expecting it to make me mad.

Sewer-Cover
May 28, 2010
I had that save issue today too, you can delete saves in either the save or load menu, can't remember which

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Sewer-Cover posted:

I had that save issue today too, you can delete saves in either the save or load menu, can't remember which

Oh good, I was just dumb then and took the system message at face value.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
can i stash excess items in bad grief's hideout

i'm on day 1 and feeling over-burdened, which i suspect is going to be the opposite of my problem in the very near future

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Yeah, Bad Grief's storage sticks around.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

i'm on day 1 and feeling over-burdened, which i suspect is going to be the opposite of my problem in the very near future

You can stash items in any of the named characters houses and it will stick around, although you will get your own storage pretty soon anyway.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can stash items in any of the named characters houses and it will stick around, although you will get your own storage pretty soon anyway.

At least in the stash right next to the sleeping place. Don't store things in the food cupboard in the Shelter. Though I never tried it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oxxidation posted:

You have a way to increase your inventory space and trust me, you will need it.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always kept crap in the Shelter. It's convenient!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm familiar with icepick's other games and i've had this one on my queue for a while, but i just had a stress dream about this and i'm not even at the end of day 2

the clock and the meter balancing are one thing, but i think what really makes it sink into your brain like a loving corkscrew is its faintly contemptuous apathy towards anything the player attempts to do. it makes you feel like you're loving up even when you're technically meeting your objectives

hell i've got two schmowders, no deaths and a knife and scalpel in reasonably good condition, i can't be doing that badly, and yet i spend every minute of playtime feeling like you do when you just barely miss catching a bus and are standing there gasping for breath as it picks up speed down the street

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 28, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

i'm familiar with icepick's other games and i've had this one on my queue for a while, but i just had a stress dream about this and i'm not even at the end of day 2

the clock and the meter balancing are one thing, but i think what really makes it sink into your brain like a loving corkscrew is its faintly contemptuous apathy towards anything the player attempts to do. it makes you feel like you're loving up even when you're technically meeting your objectives

hell i've got two schmowders, no deaths and a knife and scalpel in reasonably good condition, i can't be doing that badly, and yet i spend every minute of playtime feeling like you do when you just barely miss catching a bus and are standing there gasping for breath as it picks up speed down the street

I think a thing that's great is that sometimes meeting your objectives isn't even like, a good thing. Sometimes the reward for completing a "quest" is just not worth the effort you put into it, or actively undermines you in some way. So you can end up pushing yourself harder to do "everything" and be worse off for it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

You can get 2 shmowders before the end of Day 2??

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

In Training posted:

You can get 2 shmowders before the end of Day 2??

one from a stash, one from the hide and seek game

i could have maybe gotten 3 but i didn't have enough swag to meet the whopping 35-point cost

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One of my favorite things the game pulls is how in the first three days every single thing Artemiy thinks he did right or succeeded at the game shows that he instead in fact crashed and burned miserably the next day

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oxxidation posted:

one from a stash, one from the hide and seek game

i could have maybe gotten 3 but i didn't have enough swag to meet the whopping 35-point cost

If you have a leash from a day 1 quest you are also guaranteed to get another Shmowder in the early game by talking to the kids around Khan

Economy hint that you may want to use or not: It is positively worth spending as much money as possible on needles and nuts to trade for Shmowders and other medicine, plus needles are useful to repair your clothes, which you will badly need once the plague is out and about. Hint also applies to real life now, I guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah i was focusing too much on keeping my knives sharp and not enough on my attire and hoo boy did i realize my error on my first traipse through an infected district

i'm trying to get my house back on day 3 and all the necessary locations are in the Death Zone

e: i also didn't realize until the end of day 2 that the presence of fireflies/sound of buzzing indicates herbs nearby

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 29, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it must be so relaxing to be daniil dankovsky

just traipsing round the village in your baz luhrmann rear end overcoat loving up everything for everyone and being smug as possible about it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im really excited for the bachelors playthrough where he does good things and artemy is just tripping over his feet

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Verviticus posted:

im really excited for the bachelors playthrough where he does good things and artemy is just tripping over his feet

In the original the Bachelor technically spends most of the game cocking things up, so I expect the sequel to do likewise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the bell tolled! everything is horrible now!

i just sold six revolver bullets to buy milk!

e: the hunger meter is definitely the worst of the set. it increases at a dizzying pace, food is always in short supply, and trying to rest just makes it skyrocket even further

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ZearothK posted:

In the original the Bachelor technically spends most of the game cocking things up, so I expect the sequel to do likewise.

he still breaks artemy out of jail at least

Oxxidation posted:

the bell tolled! everything is horrible now!

i just sold six revolver bullets to buy milk!

e: the hunger meter is definitely the worst of the set. it increases at a dizzying pace, food is always in short supply, and trying to rest just makes it skyrocket even further

i basically never slept in the game, coffee beans are pretty cheap and easy to get. bandages were harder though