Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mierenneuker posted:

Does it randomly generates how he looks, because he made several references to his age and he looked like this:

Dude looks like he's about to ask you if you want to go help the next settlement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Wow, I was really enjoying Call of the Wild and tracking animals during this free weekend. I was even contemplating just picking up the 2019 package, then it shows how poorly made it is (or something) because when it loses an online connection, the .exe closes.

It closes. The whole game.

While playing solo.

I don't even want to waste my time anymore. Holy smokes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dude looks like he's about to ask you if you want to go help the next settlement
That doesn't look nearly enough like a potato to be a Bethesda character.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The heck just happened? I have steam open, I have uplay open. I opened up uplay and told it to install Far Cry Primal, and it opened a...steam UI? And Primal is being installed through steam? :psyduck:

(I'm revisiting Primal as I never gave it a fair shake and I can't pick up 5/New Dawn until the month rolls over)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Primal is an excellent game that I think actually outdoes Far Cry 5 in quality. Personal hint: pay really close attention to the audio. Primal has some of the best sound design I've ever experienced in a game. You can tell where predators or hostiles are coming from just by the way the wildlife goes quiet or birds suddenly flee into the air. You barely need a minimap, it's fantastic.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've been googling around for a solution to this problem with no luck with any of the fixes, so I'm going to try here.

I did a fresh install of Prey (the arkane one). it seems like no matter what I do, the game won't launch when I start it. anyone had this problem before? does it just take a long time?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've been googling around for a solution to this problem with no luck with any of the fixes, so I'm going to try here.

I did a fresh install of Prey (the arkane one). it seems like no matter what I do, the game won't launch when I start it. anyone had this problem before? does it just take a long time?

Do you have Mooncrash too? When you first launch (on Steam) there's a little popup asking if you want to play one or the other. Make sure that's not hiding somewhere

Also it doesn't pop up if you launch from the Steam icon in the system tray, but I dunno if that would cause an issue on the first run

you could try verifying the game files too in its properties

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've repeatedly run into the problem recently that games will not start up right away, but take up to five or ten minutes to start up on the first run, presumably to cache stuff or something like that. What you can do is to open the task manager and see if the process is still active or if it's saying something like Suspended. If the RAM usage is tiny but growing, then it's preparing stuff to launch and you can probably just wait.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The heck just happened? I have steam open, I have uplay open. I opened up uplay and told it to install Far Cry Primal, and it opened a...steam UI? And Primal is being installed through steam? :psyduck:

(I'm revisiting Primal as I never gave it a fair shake and I can't pick up 5/New Dawn until the month rolls over)

Maybe a dumb question but...do you own Primal on Steam? Uplay knows whether or not a given copy of a game is tied to Steam and acts accordingly.

Not a bad idea to play Primal before 5/ND anyway, if only because then you get to see how it slots neatly between 4 and 5 in terms of various mechanics and concepts. Curious to hear your thoughts on it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Maybe a dumb question but...do you own Primal on Steam? Uplay knows whether or not a given copy of a game is tied to Steam and acts accordingly.

Not a bad idea to play Primal before 5/ND anyway, if only because then you get to see how it slots neatly between 4 and 5 in terms of various mechanics and concepts. Curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Huh, TIL. It feels weird that uplay would offload the downloading "effort" onto steam, and that steam allows it. (Yeah, I own it on both)

I'll share my thoughts when I have some - right now gaming is being delayed because I'm marathoning some tokusatsu. Covid stress is getting to me and there's nothing better to make me forget about it than some easy watching tv.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Do you have Mooncrash too? When you first launch (on Steam) there's a little popup asking if you want to play one or the other. Make sure that's not hiding somewhere

Also it doesn't pop up if you launch from the Steam icon in the system tray, but I dunno if that would cause an issue on the first run

you could try verifying the game files too in its properties

I played through a decent amount of it (before dropping it for some reason) so it's worked on this machine before. I've gotten past the mooncrash/prey prompt so it isn't that. :thunk:

I just want to become the god of shotguns again.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
So I just moved and my current graphics are intel hd 4000 - anyone recommend games for me to play?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

JadaX posted:

So I just moved and my current graphics are intel hd 4000 - anyone recommend games for me to play?

What kind of games do you like to play?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lord Lambeth posted:

I played through a decent amount of it (before dropping it for some reason) so it's worked on this machine before. I've gotten past the mooncrash/prey prompt so it isn't that. :thunk:

I just want to become the god of shotguns again.

oh I dunno then - it doesn't take long to load, you should hear the intro logo videos and all that after a few seconds, if you can't hear anything it's probably stuck - I'd check task manager to see if it's even running, and definitely try the Verify Game Files thing

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Into the Breach. 2D graphics and turn based so framerate doesn't matter.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

What kind of games do you like to play?
RPGs, Adenture, Story rich, Space, Turn-based. I mean basically most games, I just don't think I'd be able to run graphics heavy games right now.

Party Boat posted:

Into the Breach. 2D graphics and turn based so framerate doesn't matter.
Thanks will try.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Another goon had to deal with a low budget pc a while ago

Samuringa posted:

Games I played when I got stuck with a craptop for a while: Startopia, Momodora III/IV(possibly add spiritual sequel Minoria or other Playism games as well), Environmental Station Alpha, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Titan Souls(divisive but I enjoyed it enough), Aces Wild, Tropico 4, Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery

Games that I assume work on a low-cost pc but am not sure: Shadowrun series, Weedcraft Inc, Ys series(until a certain point), Steamworld Heist, Monolith, Domina

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

JadaX posted:

RPGs, Adenture, Story rich, Space, Turn-based. I mean basically most games, I just don't think I'd be able to run graphics heavy games right now.

Thanks will try.

OIC, I don't know poo poo about graphics so I didn't know what your number meant. Uh... The original X-COM, but with the X-COM FILES conversion mod. Battle Brothers. Strain Tactics. Settlements. Rimworld. Into the Breach seconded. Any Spiderweb game (Avernum, Avadon, etc). Slay the Spire. Voidspire Tactics.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You can search youtube for "Intel HD 4000" and it'll give you some videos people have made of various games, so you can see how they run and if anything looks decent. People usually go for lower settings and 30fps

might be worth comparing your cpu and ram to whatever they're using as well though

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

JadaX posted:

Thanks will try.

If Factorio interests you, now might be a good time to try it. It really doesn't care about your GPU, just CPU (and even there any remotely modern CPU is fine until you get to megabase scale).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JadaX posted:

Arcanum is a classic 2D RPG available on GOG and can be played both turn-based and real-time. It's story-rich as hell, full of details and secrets and runs on a potato.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey sorry if this is a dumb question I did a search and couldn't really find an answer - but is Fanatical .com a legit source for steam keys? Looking to get a 4-pack of tabletop simulator for me and a few friends to try during the apocalypse and it's 50% off there but full price on Steam.

Also, anyone know how it works getting keys from them? Do they just email you keys and you give them to friends?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

slidebite posted:

Hey sorry if this is a dumb question I did a search and couldn't really find an answer - but is Fanatical .com a legit source for steam keys? Looking to get a 4-pack of tabletop simulator for me and a few friends to try during the apocalypse and it's 50% off there but full price on Steam.

Also, anyone know how it works getting keys from them? Do they just email you keys and you give them to friends?
Perfectly legitimate, I used to buy stuff there all the time. It works like buying keys on Humble, you just get a user page that lists all your purchases and the associated keys. Then you just give those to people.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I find it interesting that Fanatical is no longer one of the sites listed on isthereanydeal.com? whats up with that I wonder?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

Yep, legit. I buy from them all the time - have for years - and haven't had any issues. Keys will be on an order page you can open up once payment has been processed, and you can pass those around normally.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I find it interesting that Fanatical is no longer one of the sites listed on isthereanydeal.com? whats up with that I wonder?

Maybe you filtered them out because they are still there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh its because Fanatical only sells the 4 pack of Tabletop Simulator for some reason

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

OK thanks for the quick replies guys - I've never bought keys other than from Steam directly. Appreciate the help.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Cardiovorax posted:

Arcanum is a classic 2D RPG available on GOG and can be played both turn-based and real-time. It's story-rich as hell, full of details and secrets and runs on a potato.

Arcanum is a very good game that is worth putting up with some of its aged unfriendliness (steep early difficulty curve, need to install a fan patch, and a key item you need, the assassin’s medallion, that you have to hold onto because it does not drop at the time that you require it.) That being said, the real-time mode is absolutely asinine and should not be used.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Arcanum is a very good game that is worth putting up with some of its aged unfriendliness (steep early difficulty curve, need to install a fan patch, and a key item you need, the assassin’s medallion, that you have to hold onto because it does not drop at the time that you require it.) That being said, the real-time mode is absolutely asinine and should not be used.
It has its advantages. Like, if you're just walking around a low-level location and getting swamped by trash mobs, then not having to deal with turn-based combat kicking in every time a random bat flies into view is definitely worth it. You can switch between the two literally at the press of a button, so there's absolutely no downside to using whichever is more convenient at the moment. Just Harm everything in view twenty times per second and go on about your business.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the fan patch makes real time harm spam just really good instead of far and away the greatest strategy to use at every point in the game. Turn based can be equally as asinine anyway. Your choice of mode is strangely build dependent.

The biggest gotcha is projectiles/sources of damage that aren't durability based weapons aren't optional for an early dungeon and you'll want harm or stacks of molotovs (you can generally build them for free from raiding the garbage cans in Tarantum) to get over the hurdle. Or if you're using a guide you can also pick up dogmeat and make him tank because his teeth aren't durability based.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiovorax posted:

It has its advantages. Like, if you're just walking around a low-level location and getting swamped by trash mobs, then not having to deal with turn-based combat kicking in every time a random bat flies into view is definitely worth it. You can switch between the two literally at the press of a button, so there's absolutely no downside to using whichever is more convenient at the moment. Just Harm everything in view twenty times per second and go on about your business.

I mean, you will pass out for like an hour in-game if you literally do that.

And it will be worth it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I really enjoyed Arcanum but I will never not associate the game with some frustration because my game was prematurely ended by not having the assassin’s medallion when you need it to infiltrate their base. I carried the dumb thing around for literally almost the whole game because, despite nobody telling you, it was obviously a key item. Then I tossed it because I was finally convinced it truly was a trash item, and suddenly I needed it- and at that point, the assassin encounters that harry you throughout the game stop spawning.

I killed the guards, invaded the base and murdered the entire order with a minigun, and had to just settle for that as the end of my story.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
What's the current state of all the various Transport Tycoon/Railroads style games? I've been looking at Mashinky and Railway Empire recently and considering maybe picking one up later.

I tried LOGistICAL a while back and just didn't really find it engrossing, felt more like a idle clicker.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I really enjoyed Arcanum but I will never not associate the game with some frustration because my game was prematurely ended by not having the assassin’s medallion when you need it to infiltrate their base. I carried the dumb thing around for literally almost the whole game because, despite nobody telling you, it was obviously a key item. Then I tossed it because I was finally convinced it truly was a trash item, and suddenly I needed it- and at that point, the assassin encounters that harry you throughout the game stop spawning.

I killed the guards, invaded the base and murdered the entire order with a minigun, and had to just settle for that as the end of my story.

Wha? There's a bonus solution to that particular subplot if you have the medallion, but not having it doesn't result in any dead ends in the main story, since murder is the default solution.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Wha? There's a bonus solution to that particular subplot if you have the medallion, but not having it doesn't result in any dead ends in the main story, since murder is the default solution.

Seriously? That’s wild. I busted the whole place up and then just couldn’t find any plot threads or script triggers in the world after that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the amulet is only for if you want to infiltrate the place, killing your way through is a perfectly valid solution. Arcanum was really good about offering you alternate solutions to everything.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Thoughts on StarCrawlers? I mean its like 2 bucks but its still good to know if its got some hidden bullshit or bad ui going on.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

ShootaBoy posted:

Thoughts on StarCrawlers? I mean its like 2 bucks but its still good to know if its got some hidden bullshit or bad ui going on.

I actually really liked all the game's systems but the procedurally generated quests are really boring with very little variety. The story missions are fun, though, so if it's cheap and you like dungeon crawlers, go for it. It just doesn't last nearly as long as advertised, because you just aren't going to want to do any more of the boring quests than you absolutely have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Uplay knows whether or not a given copy of a game is tied to Steam and acts accordingly.

As much as people have always given Uplay poo poo, it has been mostly unobtrusive and full of decent little things like this for me.