Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we have no cum, and we ask no cum from you. when our turn cums we shall make no excuses for the terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
https://www.kxan.com/news/austin-company-looking-to-dock-paychecks-for-those-receiving-stimulus-checks

Well this is cool and good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ARE YOU BEING DOWN ABOUT THE JOB CREATORS?!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Casimir Radon posted:

ARE YOU BEING DOWN ABOUT THE JOB CREATORS?!

Don't worry, they didn't dare name the company.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PookBear posted:

biden, trump, and clinton all dodged the draft in some manner while doing everything in their power to get others killed and I will feel zero sympathy when they and others in their generation like them die agonizing deaths that they tried to inflict on others

I'm going to ignore putting Biden, who ran his first Senate campaign on ending the Vietnam war, in that group and ask this:

How do you know which ones are "like them?" Which deaths are you actually rooting for? Do you have a list?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm going to ignore putting Biden, who ran his first Senate campaign on ending the Vietnam war, in that group and ask this:

How do you know which ones are "like them?" Which deaths are you actually rooting for? Do you have a list?

*Adds Stultus Maximus to the list*

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Can we start with 'any and all chicken hawks who advocated for or had part in getting us into, continuing, or expanding forever wars while having never been exposed to any personal risk or danger from their own or similar agendas'?

This company should be named and shamed, have any tax breaks or subsidies at every level stripped and be denied a single cent of bailout funds.

Throw some execs in jail too, why not.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Arrath posted:

Can we start with 'any and all chicken hawks who advocated for or had part in getting us into, continuing, or expanding forever wars while having never been exposed to any personal risk or danger from their own or similar agendas'?

Yes.

No citizenship without service.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Xakura posted:

Yes.

No citizenship without service.

In Heinlein's book non-citizens were still afforded all benefits and protections of the republic, except the right to vote. One could refuse the call to service, and they would be treated the same as any other member of the society, except the right to vote in elections.

So chickenhawks in that scenario could still gently caress up your life, as advisers to the people deciding which hellwar everyone's getting sent off to.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1243979360920637442?s=19

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

there is no such thing as a good boomer, just varying shades of guilt

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/WxZachary/statu...ingawful.com%2F

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PookBear posted:

Cheering for random people to die because they're the wrong age is gross. Go back to CSPAM.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Cheering for random people to die because they're the wrong age is gross. Go back to CSPAM.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

Can't remember if it was in here or one of the CSPAM threads someone accused WHO of being a wholly owned subsidiary of the CCP but I guess that answers that question

Is that seriously a thing that people talk about and think they have evidence for? It seems like a lot of public institutions and private companies avoid saying "Taiwan" because they want to keep doing business with China, and the WHO might be in the same position where if you have to choose it's probably better to keep the country with 1386 million people on side than the one with 24. I don't really know anything about the situation though.

bird food bathtub posted:

I know it's years ago in Hellfucker 2020 timeline but I'm still kinda stuck on the EPA thing. If even half of what my imagination has come up with ends up being true there will be kids decades from now being poisoned and dying to this loathsome mother fucker's actions.

Yeah, I'm picturing local creeks breaking their banks as companies quickly discharge all the toxic waste they've been storing because they didn't know what to do with it, particularly the companies that get paid to dispose of other people's waste. Okay maybe there are still some protections left - maybe you can't allow your waste discharges to cause physical damage to other people's property or you'll get sued? Okay, drain the tailings pond into the river slowly then.

McNally posted:

Technically it isn't bloodlust because COVID-19 isn't a hemorrhagic disease.

:lol: That's not the mod response I was expecting after the previous complaints I saw about boomer bloodlust I saw in QCS, but I see there's another loving thread now, I bet that will be a thrilling read.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

PookBear posted:

Did you miss the thing about Native Americans losing their elders or what.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Considering how the WHO have been acting during this crisis, I'm not putting any faith in anything they say.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Considering how the WHO have been acting during this crisis, I'm not putting any faith in anything they say.

Like what?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bird cooch posted:

Like what?

Refusing to acknowledge the existence of Taiwan

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Wouldn't that put them at odds with China? Seems like a time and place argument.

I'm not following the who reaction other than on the surface.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

bird cooch posted:

Like what?

Taking 'no community spread' at face value was dumb when there were people much smarter than me shrieking THIS HAPPENED WITH SARS, HOLY gently caress, PAY ATTENTION.

WHO can at least find their rear end with both hands in some respects. OTOH, they're being loving weird about airborn spread when South Korean doctors are saying 'no aerosols can happen, especially in poorly ventilated buildings,' and there's the contentious issue of MASKS, which seems more a bid to keep people from buying them and less an attempt to admit that yeah, masks will probably help with droplet spread and some aerosols, here's the materials you need to make them, please don't buy the premade stuff 'cause HCWs need them, and limit (x) number of supplies to each person, thanks.

The CDC on the other hand directly RTd this:

https://twitter.com/SecAzar/status/1243732571600629760

The people we used to be able to turn to are not staying on message or being particularly consistent, and people, a lot of people, are noticing.

Me, I've mostly just been trying to pay attention to the epidemiologists and modelers that are devoting a lot of time to explaining poo poo to idiots like me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bird cooch posted:

Wouldn't that put them at odds with China? Seems like a time and place argument.

I'm not following the who reaction other than on the surface.

How about when they reported bullshit things out of china as if they were true such as “there’s no evidence of human to human transmission” on january 14?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

15% casualty rate to gun shots but im supposed to feel sympathy for boomers lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FWIW the NZ government is publishing a list soon of all companies they are giving money to specifically so people can dob in employers that aren't, and have warned they will be charging cases such as this for fraud

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird cooch posted:

Like what?

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152?s=19

Also the response time to declaring it a global pandemic was painfully slow, but it's to their standards sooo....

When they posted that tweet, it had already been running rampant in China for a month.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The Irish PM announcing shelter in place. Check out his choice of words at 6:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32VRPX4d50w&t=360s

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152?s=19

Also the response time to declaring it a global pandemic was painfully slow, but it's to their standards sooo....

When they posted that tweet, it had already been running rampant in China for a month.

gently caress. Whelp

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It sucks to think, but the WHO and it’s executives are completely owned by the PRC.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i like how she gives up on sign language when he speaks w/e the irish language is

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It sucks to think, but the WHO and it’s executives are completely owned by the PRC.

That seems like a massive leap.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Yeah that's gonna need several citations and sources 'cause the main sources for that I'm seeing are The Federalist and other questionable outlets.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I'm just getting a bunch of right-wing stuff and then posts in c-spam

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bird cooch posted:

I'm just getting a bunch of right-wing stuff and then posts in c-spam

right wing posts are when you don't want to die in afghanistan due to neolibs

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Pardon?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

PookBear posted:

right wing posts are when you don't want to die in afghanistan due to neolibs

ok

Anyway, like, it was played as a profound insight circa 1990s, when known heavy-hitting philosopher Cigarette Smoking Man ala the X-Files went on about how the public can't be trusted with Big Truths because they'd just loving lose their minds, but I think people forget that there's a very real thread of that running through the heads of suits (and empty shirts) whose job it is to handle world-changing disasters. There's also a general stark unwillingness to believe that no, this really is about to happen, it's The Thing you've been worried about for decades, it's loving here, right at your doorstep, WHAT NOW?

That's not an excuse. These people are paid to keep their head on their shoulders. They didn't.

So their credibility has gone to poo poo.

So, yeah, to me, it's far more believable to me that WHO's laggy response was a mix of the two, starting with them just standing there going 'yeah we can't tell people about this, they'll freak out' and dropping the ball hard as a result. Were palms being greased? Yeah, I'd totally buy that, too, but 'don't say it they'll panic' is SUCH a prevalent line of thought in disaster preparedness that it's laughable. Especially since it runs counter to how things actually work.

Keeping people informed and up to date, being consistent, not skimping on the terrifying details, letting them know exactly what's happening, what's needed, and what's expected of them, goes a long way towards making the best out of a bad situation. WHO failed spectacularly in adhering to that framework, followed by the US government, and the US especially is gonna pay for it. Soon.

Saying they're just a paid for wing of the PRC, though?

That's-- a lot.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 29, 2020

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://goatse.ru/

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
ok fine here's a tornado

https://twitter.com/joeysulipeck/status/1244042536857014274

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011