Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dixville posted:

Its a :dong: joke

Your wood is a joke all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Til the boomer reserve in Florida has
forums

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 29, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alan Smithee posted:

i'm thinking about shaving mine bald

I shaved mine about 10 years back when my receding hairline transformed into full male pattern baldness, and it owns except occasionally strangers think it's because I'm a skinhead or a racist.

Back on the Finland topic, I went out for a walk today and it seems most people out and about are taking the recommendations seriously. Very few people around, and every time I came across someone, both parties automatically drifted to opposite sides of the sidewalks (even moreso than normally). Except one dude.

A very drunk guy tried to hit me up for "bus fare" and when I said I had no money, he started telling me his life story, all the while standing about 30cm away from my face. When I said that we should maybe keep the recommended safety distance here, he said (and I quote) "a big strong guy like you doesn't believe that homo bullshit, right?"

Drunk, a True Finns voter or both? In any case, it seems corona has a solid base here in Finland as well.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

unpacked robinhood posted:

Til the boomer reserve in Florida has
forums

How to navigate roundabouts (page 10 of 10)

"I have no blind spots in my car as I have my mirrors set to give me 100% visiblity with my mirrors. My car does have the blind spot feature but I do not use it. My mirrors tell me my coast is clear 100% of the time, 100% around my car. I've had my mirrors set for no blind spot for the past 15 years and they have never failed me. I can make a very quick lane change traveling 75 mph and be 100% confident that my coast is clear. My mirrors are my best friend in my car."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Der Shovel posted:

I shaved mine about 10 years back when my receding hairline transformed into full male pattern baldness, and it owns except occasionally strangers think it's because I'm a skinhead or a racist.

Back on the Finland topic, I went out for a walk today and it seems most people out and about are taking the recommendations seriously. Very few people around, and every time I came across someone, both parties automatically drifted to opposite sides of the sidewalks (even moreso than normally). Except one dude.

A very drunk guy tried to hit me up for "bus fare" and when I said I had no money, he started telling me his life story, all the while standing about 30cm away from my face. When I said that we should maybe keep the recommended safety distance here, he said (and I quote) "a big strong guy like you doesn't believe that homo bullshit, right?"

Drunk, a True Finns voter or both? In any case, it seems corona has a solid base here in Finland as well.

Maybe he’s Russian trying to soften things up for winter war II

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Der Shovel posted:

6 feet away no homo

2 bros chillin in the hot tub 6 feet apart cuz they're not gay

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I went for a wee drive about town on the way to do my weekly shop and it's mental how many people are walking around. Roads are dead but I drove along the seafront and there are at least 5x more people walking along the prom than usual.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i saw that the cdc is telling everyone to wear masks but where am i supposed to get a mask when we are entering week 4 of lockdown and not even hospitals can get their hands on supplies

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Rodney posted:

It boggles the mind that anybody takes anything China says seriously in 2020, it's almost comical. They have a track record of lying about everything, even the most banal unimportant things, and especially the big things. Why would anything about the roni be different?

I don't want to get political but I think the people so fervently defending obvious lies while ignoring the actual citizens constantly trying to get the truth out are doing it for political reasons. Not necessarily defending the CCP, just that the US President has made a point of hating China and talking poo poo about them. So now people are defending an authoritarian regime's literal propaganda that they completely eliminated a virus rampaging literally everywhere else through their sheer force of will and that their economy is strong and prosperous because they are such a healthy people. They have no incentive to lie about self-reported numbers given in a honor system that are making them look bad. Their harsh social distancing measures just blew the virus from the bodies of their citizens forever. It's actually the west infecting THEM now because they defeated the virus already!!

This kind of thing is just short of believing that Kim Jong Un hit 18 holes in one from the back of a stallion because someone you disagree with hates him and the enemy of your enemy is your friend.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 29, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid posted:

i saw that the cdc is telling everyone to wear masks but where am i supposed to get a mask when we are entering week 4 of lockdown and not even hospitals can get their hands on supplies

Actually you haven't received ~the training~ so you're more likely to die when you inevitably try to snort the mask than by having some roni float your way, you silly clown.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I don't want to get political but I think the people so fervently defending obvious lies while ignoring the actual citizens constantly trying to get the truth out are doing it for political reasons. Not necessarily defending the CCP, just that the US President has mad a point of hating China and talking poo poo about them. So now people are defending an authoritarian regime's literal propaganda that they completely eliminated a virus rampaging literally everywhere else through their sheer force of will and that their economy is strong and prosperous because they are such a healthy people. They have no incentive to lie about self-reported numbers given in a honor system that are making them look bad. Their harsh social distancing measures just blew the virus from the bodies of their citizens forever. It's actually the west infecting THEM now because they defeated the virus already!!

This kind of thing is just short of believing that Kim Jong Un hit 18 holes in one from the back of a stallion because someone you disagree with hates him and the enemy of your enemy is your friend.

0 reported cases in the education retreats that Uyghurs willingly go to

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This kind of thing is just short of believing that Kim Jong Un hit 18 holes in one from the back of a stallion.

It reminds nk just launched a missile and no one gives a gently caress, the poor bastards must be really hurting

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuoProQuid posted:

Can you sew?
https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/

If you can't sew then .... uhhhhh .... uhhhhhhhhhhhh ..............

Edit: I guess???? :shrug:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

At my local farmers market if you spend more than $20 they let you gently caress a chicken.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/JSJisDuke/status/1243299559968661504

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1244026708891766784

As for masks:

https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/news/2020/covid-19-diymasks

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/reuse-face-mask-coronavirus_l_5e78dbf9c5b63c3b6494ad80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyDtrobkaxg

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

QuoProQuid posted:

There's a whole bunch for sale on Etsy, I can tell you that. You can also make your own with an old t-shirt:

https://twitter.com/jeremyphoward/status/1242894415007490048

That's part of a long twitter thread that dude posted about masks (I'm interested in the veracity of his claims re: Czech Republic, if any of y'all know more):
https://twitter.com/jeremyphoward/status/1242894378441506816

A DIY mask instruction sheet (also from that thread): https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/news/specials/2020/mask-diy-tips.html. This also has good info on mask-related hygiene, such as washing your hands before you take it off, when you can reuse it, etc.

If you were to include additional material in there like a dish towel, that's even better. I'm curious about trip reports if anyone has tried including vacuum bags within the mask; how breathable is that?

Note that none of the DIY masks are perfect of course, but they're surprisingly okay, and if everyone wore them it would do a great deal to prevent transmission.

Also note that you still have to practice good hand hygiene, not touch your face, etc., and that if your mask is reusable, you need to treat it as contaminated after using it. This means you need to wash, quarantine, or otherwise disinfect it (yet another post from that twitter thread explains how) before the next use. Personally if you can swing it, I think it'd be best to keep multiple masks on hand and simply not reuse them within a certain time period, say, multiple days to a week. If you don't go out often (which you shouldn't, unless you need to), this should be especially doable. Letting them sit in quarantine at room temp for a while will inactivate the virus all by itself.

In any case, peak virus cases in my state are projected in about a month, so my strategy is going to be to stay the motherfuck inside. I've read enough horrible case reports about this disease to know that I do not want to get sick from it, even if my odds of actually dying aren't that high.

e:f;b

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 29, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Alcohol and bleach probably don’t have the same deleterious effects on fabric masks as they do on commercial N95 masks, but I suppose that, in the absence of specific testing, better safe than sorry.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

I try not to trust Twitter accounts with that much anime

e- oh that's you, haha

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

Can't you park your plague ship where it got its flag from ?

i bet most of them are registered on some caribbean island with no infrastructure save for a tiny hut used for registering tax evasion companies.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I try not to trust Twitter accounts with that much anime

e- oh that's you, haha

We all gotta keep morale up in these trying times.

Fwiw, the stuff in the text is literally all from clicking through to the source articles and cutting out the fluff.

You're doing god's work. :neckbeard:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

i bet most of them are registered on some caribbean island with no infrastructure save for a tiny hut used for registering tax evasion companies.

I assumed so but it would be funny. They deserve each other

e: lol the Costa Magica was registered...in Italia

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 29, 2020

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

bird with big dick posted:

At my local farmers market if you spend more than $20 they let you gently caress a chicken.

Is that how you got your avatar?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

Where are you? I'm in CA (Santa Clara county) and the worst I've heard of is a friend of mine who had been put on paid leave and is doing everyone's shopping runs, she'll text saying, "don't come outside while I'm on the porch". She also visits her friends and hangs out outside for about ten minutes talking while they are also outside about ten feet away. She has a home made mask because her flatmate got into making them. So yeah I think she's not doing anything wrong but my point is, nobody else I know is even leaving the house at all more or less. Some people are walking a bit more, that's it. No events.

I'm in NC, we're getting statewide stay home order but the list of essential businesses is still a mile long

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Oh heck, this is amazing.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
https://twitter.com/HKWORLDCITY/status/1243865641448169474?s=20

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I like how on Sundays there is a massive decrease of new cases in Germany, because gently caress you, closed Sundays!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Baller Time posted:

I like how on Sundays there is a massive decrease of new cases in Germany, because gently caress you, closed Sundays!

Meanwhile in Cologne:

Smirr posted:

I just went for another run along a usually quiet stretch along the Rhine (because it's ugly as hell) and let me put it like this: I have literally never seen that place more crowded. It was overcrowded in fact. I aborted my planned route and improvised myself home through the absolute armpit of Köln - which was also overcrowded! Because every single goddamn family in this city was trying to get to the Rhine, even the parts between the Heizkraftwerk and the cruising forest.

Lots and lots of people stopping to chat with acquaintances they happened to meet too. Lmfao we are so completely hosed

e: there was one guy who walked directly into my path, because he wasn't watching where he's going, because he was busy disinfecting his hands

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Mithaldu posted:

We all gotta keep morale up in these trying times.

Fwiw, the stuff in the text is literally all from clicking through to the source articles and cutting out the fluff.
You're doing god's work. :neckbeard:

what source articles

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://www.nytimes.com/video/nyregion/100000007052136/coronavirus-elmhurst-hospital-queens.html

quote:

Today is kind of getting worse and worse. We had to get a refrigerated truck to store the bodies of patients who are dying. We are, right now, scrambling to try to get a few additional ventilators or even CPAP machines. If we could get CPAP machines, we could free up ventilators for patients who need them. You know, we now have these five vents. We probably — unless people die, I suspect we’ll be back to needing to beg for ventilators again in another day or two.

We'll, that's hosed.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

that guy's profile is no longer on their website

https://web.archive.org/web/20200316201941/https://www.who.int/dg/adg/aylward/en/

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Reputable sources (Myself) claim, with a sixth grade understanding of "Thesis - Body - Conclusion" that all science is wrong with this intuition based speculation

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
https://www.asahq.org/about-asa/newsroom/news-releases/2020/03/joint-statement-on-multiple-patients-per-ventilator

Oh hey look. An official statement about the stupidity of venting multiple patients one on machine! And it only serves to support that idea that we Need. More. Ventilators.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Taiwan's political situation is unfortunate for it, but it's old as hell news since basically the 70's.
It gets unofficial recognition and treatment regardless (unlike most other unrecognized states) so it's mostly just on paper that it "doesn't exist". Like they still go to the Olympics and stuff. Even the mainland treats it kind of like that because they still want to do business with it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'll gladly donate my CPAP machine. Vastly more comfortable than a ventilator I am sure though. I never got a good sleep due to sleep apnea, but now I can breathe in my sleep, but the machine is so uncomfortable that I just wake up all the time from that instead.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

what source articles
the one linked in the article linked in the tweet my tweet links to i formatted it to make it easy to read for the racists i see floating around in the HK-sphere where this mainly spread, but thanks for making it clear you've nothing of substance to say and are just wanking in public

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Mithaldu posted:

the one linked in the article linked in the tweet my tweet links to
i formatted it to make it easy to read for the racists i see floating around in the HK-sphere where this mainly spread, but thanks for making it clear you've nothing of substance to say and are just wanking in public

the article your tweet links to says that China is lying

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

the article your tweet links to says that China is lying

click deeper

is "following to the source" some kind of magic ability that is only given to 1 out of 1000 internet users or what

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

So you're speculating that since Wuhan has 7 mortuaries and that one mortuary may have received 5,000 urns (not confirmed) that there are 40,000 urns total?

I have friends in Wuhan who I communicate with. You know that in general China is not a technically illiterate country, right? Many people use VPN's to communicate with people outside of China and if you think that a city with 11 million people had nearly 40,000 deaths instead of 2,500 deaths - there would be more people from within the city talking about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Mithaldu posted:

click deeper

is "following to the source" some kind of magic ability that is only given to 1 out of 1000 internet users or what

no link in the Shanghaiist article goes to a page that comes to the conclusion you posted

maybe I'm dumb, can you link it here