Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Youth Decay posted:

there are exposed beams, and then there are obstacles

surely no one will ever get up in the middle of the night and groggily stumble into this

If you've got a better idea for stringing up a few dozen hammocks for off-watch sailors I'd like to hear it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Youth Decay posted:

there are exposed beams, and then there are obstacles

surely no one will ever get up in the middle of the night and groggily stumble into this

WHY NO WHY DEAR GOD NO

Theres such obvious and easy solutions that dont involve a giant piece of wood through the middle of your room, why would they do this?!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

WHY NO WHY DEAR GOD NO

Theres such obvious and easy solutions that dont involve a giant piece of wood through the middle of your room, why would they do this?!

Because just finishing an attic is about 40 000 times cheaper than first literally completely changing the structure of the house and then finishing the attic?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CarForumPoster posted:

WHY NO WHY DEAR GOD NO

Either a reclaimed industrial space or post-earthquake reinforcements.

I'm betting on the latter.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HardDiskD posted:

I always assumed that most if not all animals had a "don't poo poo where you eat" instinct but I guess humans are too smart for that.

Humans have a complication where we have this amazing system of pipes and pumps that sends excrement far, far away where it cannot imperil us, but the same system provides fresh water for drinking, and in some residences there was no room/money to run extra pipe and split those two functions into different rooms. We're also pretty dumb at times.

Also I remember getting really annoyed at an episode of QI once because they claimed that every word for bathroom was some kind of euphemism, and this conversation is taking me back.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

PainterofCrap posted:

Either a reclaimed industrial space or post-earthquake reinforcements.

I'm betting on the latter.
You're closer with the first one. It's a former schoolhouse, but the correct answer is "attic that was never intended to be habitable space"
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2600-E-Grace-St-APT-22-Richmond-VA-23223/72636822_zpid/
The rest of the condo is totally fine, even with the neat dormers they didn't need to force a loft and extra bedroom/bath up there.
It is also seriously overpriced for the neighborhood. You could buy a nice house there for less money.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

canyoneer posted:

If you've got a better idea for stringing up a few dozen hammocks for off-watch sailors I'd like to hear it

Fun fact, Sailors used to sleep in the holds of sailing ships used to store gunpowder for cannon, because it was typically the driest compartment on the ship.

Sometimes, when they were particularly drunk from rum, or in the case of Officers, Naval Strength Gin, they would be too drunk to make the trek from the powder room to the head, so they would poo poo in empty powder kegs.

Hence the term "Powder Room" for a bathroom with only a toilet and sink.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's bullshit from beginning to end. Those cutesy etymology stories always are. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/powder%20room

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's powder room because you put on makeup and talc n poo poo

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

not literally poo poo

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

That's bullshit from beginning to end. Those cutesy etymology stories always are. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/powder%20room

did you know that the origin of "bullshit" is from the stock markets where people would make things up to convince counterparts they're in a bull market while shorting stocks, hence "bull" poo poo

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jaded Burnout posted:

did you know that the origin of "bullshit" is from the stock markets where people would make things up to convince counterparts they're in a bull market while shorting stocks, hence "bull" poo poo

This is a good paraphrasing of the original quote from Chancellor Otto von Bismarck

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I find it hilarious to repost this kind of picture, and now I'm being hoist if not by my own petard then a similar one.

edit:

Oh poo poo, I forgot I had content. We were aimlessly driving yesterday, and I saw and took a pic of this house. Why's it got horns?

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 26, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gaaah, how I hate that poo poo.

"It's not just a pair of partial hips mashed together! It's got...style!

*dies from anaphylactic shock while clearing out the hornet condos*

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 26, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Why do I feel like that photo is some kind of glitched panorama?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The moral of the thread: The etymology was a 'BULL', with a 'poo poo'!!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PainterofCrap posted:

Gaaah, how I hate that poo poo.

"It's not just a pair of partial hips mashed together! It's got...style!

*dies from anaphylactic shock from clearing out the hornet condos*

I was thinking the same thing, it's a loving wasp / hornet condo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

there wolf posted:

Also I remember getting really annoyed at an episode of QI once because they claimed that every word for bathroom was some kind of euphemism, and this conversation is taking me back.

They aren't all euphamisms:
https://i.imgur.com/YoRkAM8.gifv

Edit: Well, I guess poo poo/shitter can be a euphemism? I'd consider it more a synonym.

I guess we all should call it the excrement or defecation room.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 26, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

rear end-blastatorium

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Empty Sandwich posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot I had content. We were aimlessly driving yesterday, and I saw and took a pic of this house. Why's it got horns?

That house is 100% a mimic.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

Humans have a complication where we have this amazing system of pipes and pumps that sends excrement far, far away where it cannot imperil us, but the same system provides fresh water for drinking, and in some residences there was no room/money to run extra pipe and split those two functions into different rooms. We're also pretty dumb at times.

that's a really lovely system

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The moral of the thread: The etymology was a 'BULL', with a 'poo poo'!!

Forget rainwaa
Have flangewaa

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: Well, I guess poo poo/shitter can be a euphemism? I'd consider it more a synonym.

Poop Room.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Shitter/poo poo house was exactly what came to mind. It's not a euphemism because poo poo literally means feces and always has.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

there wolf posted:

Shitter/poo poo house was exactly what came to mind. It's not a euphemism because poo poo literally means feces and always has.

That's called a dysphemism, a word that's less pleasant or acceptable than the neutral version

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HardDiskD posted:

that's a really lovely system

Call it what you want, but it gets the poo poo done :clint:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

That house is 100% a mimic.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Mitsukurina style.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

McMansion Hell's newest post is a real doozy.

I can't figure out the relationship of the back and front of the house and what is happening with the rooflines. Some non-Euclidean geometry going on.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm guessing the normal windows and dryrot part of the house is behind the vintage taco bell part. So it's like a big L shape strip mall but with that giant foyer thing grafted on the front to make it look like a house.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

What's up with the window AC unit on the rear above the dryrot, did they run out of duct halfway through the build or did they just put too small a system in?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have found them - the worst stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8_6mpPxWZw&t=152s

Yes, when the stairs retract, they do leave the upper floor a death trap anyone could step off.

I love this youtube channel. It's like Dahir Insaat meets As Seen On TV and is full of things which have no right to exist.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

corgski posted:

What's up with the window AC unit on the rear above the dryrot, did they run out of duct halfway through the build or did they just put too small a system in?

Pretty common with larger (>2500 sq/ft) or sprawling houses to need more than one air handler for central AC/heat. Even larger systems can't push the required volume of air to far away rooms if there's dozens of feet of duct to travel.

It doesn't excuse the fact that if you can afford a house like that, you can afford to have a less offensive looking, quieter, and more efficient mini split system installed instead of a $300 Best Buy window shaker.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have found them - the worst stairs.

What could be more convenient storage than one where you need a ladder to reach the top drawers? Even if you're tall enough to reach the drawer you still couldn't see what's in them.

Oh, maybe you can just pull out every other drawer and use them as a ladder?! Ingenius.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm holding out for the complex mechanism to break in hilarious ways.
not so hilarious for whomever stands on the stairs though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want a spiral staircase where the steps can swivel and turn it into a spiral slide.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

I want a spiral staircase where the steps can swivel and turn it into a spiral slide.

A staircase made out of those river rocks from Takeshi's Castle.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just imagining forgetting my keys or some poo poo and then having to wait for that slow contraption to unfold to go get them. It's like when they how how the Bowflex just folds up under the bed when you aren't using it. No one is ever going to do that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

there wolf posted:

I'm just imagining forgetting my keys or some poo poo and then having to wait for that slow contraption to unfold to go get them. It's like when they how how the Bowflex just folds up under the bed when you aren't using it. No one is ever going to do that.

It could work for something like an attic entryway but even then a fold-out ladder with a chest of drawers on casters under it would be about 40 000 times better and functionally equivalent except functionally actually better too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

there wolf posted:

It's 3 in the morning. You've been drinking. Now you're awake and REALLY need to pee...

Do you:

A) Wait 10 min for stairs
B) Leap of Faith
C) Aim for sink
D) All of the above