Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

pro starcraft loser posted:

At this point is the US just SOL? >100,000 cases already, my state doubled in like 3 days.

Is there any positive news around?

There's way way more cases than that, pretty much just pay attention to the deaths at this point. We won't know the effects of social distancing and the shelter in places for another two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

JK Fresco posted:

Surgical masks don't seal so they let air in on the sides. Because the purpose of the masks is to stop your coughs from shooting droplets out, not filter air

You said "don't protect" ... you just described "protect you less effectively".

Are you aware that to infect, it isn't enough for a single virus to get through, but that a certain viral load must be achieved?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Google Butt posted:

There's way way more cases than that, pretty much just pay attention to the deaths at this point. We won't know the effects of social distancing and the shelter in places for another two weeks

Well in that case I guess my state is doing OK at 10.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
COVID-19 mutates fairly slowly so unless it hss other weird features they should be able to make a vaccine

The reason people were caught off guard is because it's novel and there was no warning, because there was a coverup

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

You said "don't protect" ... you just described "protect you less effectively".

Are you aware that to infect, it isn't enough for a single virus to get through, but that a certain viral load must be achieved?

You're out of your depth, Donnie

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

VikingSkull posted:

at the very least you'll see big gains

Yeah, I just signed up to help at foldingathome.org
Put your gaming rig to some use.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

JK Fresco posted:

You're out of your depth, Donnie
Nah, you're being inaccurate with your language and spread lies that will kill people.

Matter of fact is you said masks "don't protect". People will read that as an absolute statement.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

Nah, you're being inaccurate with your language and spread lies that will kill people.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Like, not even the basics.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Reading Wikipedia doesn't make you an expert

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

JK Fresco posted:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Like, not even the basics.
Where was i wrong?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Facebook Aunt posted:

There's some great Front Page material here.

March 15:

I do find it funny how you have a few people making sense but they all get shouted down.

quote:

You would think that with age comes wisdom, not true in the villages. These old timers can give advice but do not follow what they say.

quote:

Because The Villages is described as an "extended spring break for adults" these people are believing that it's true, and acting like the morons who crowded the beaches because they didn't want to miss out. Go for it, people! Party on! You'll find out soon enough that you should have paid attention when you had the chance.

quote:

The CDC is now saying that over a million Americans could have had the China Virus prior to February back into November due to the number of Chinese people traveling here, however it was either undiagnosed because it was not severe or it was misdiagnosed as the common flu which has killed 10 times more people. Pandemic or fear pushing by the media. I know one thing, it is like the flu in this way and we don't shut the country down. You are probably going to get it in someway, some will die, some will never know they have it and most will deal with it for 10 days and go on with their lives. Just like the flu. So get over the hysteria, people get sick in life, people die. If not by corona virus, then by any one of a million other illnesses.

quote:

The elderly here continue to ignore social distancing, thinking they know their friends , so their safe
When the first tv residents die form the virus , it will be too late. Thoughts and pray for the virus deniers who watch Fox

quote:

The “flu” doesn’t overwhelm the medical community and potentially require triage to deny patients ventilators. Without drastic action like this, more people will die than need to. The flu is more controllable because of vaccines. We don’t have the immunity to this we have with the flu.

And it’s called Coronavirus, not “China virus”.

quote:

Chlorine water and sun kills the virus. Let's go Villages Pools. Open so we can exercise and get some sun.

quote:

Golf seems to me to be about the safest thing one can do in the current situation for activity outside the home.

quote:

I have a Ph.D. in clinical nutrition and there is scientific evidence that supplements of vitamin D can prevent infection with corona virus. Please Google Life Extension protocol covid 19 and Shattering findings Vitamin d for further information.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Gianthogweed posted:

Yeah, I just signed up to help at foldingathome.org
Put your gaming rig to some use.

I mean my gaming rig is heavy but I don't think lifting it is gonna swole me up as much as the protein

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
my game plan is to do the old t shirt thing and not bother with gloves when i haveta go out from now on. it's short trips, and i'll just keep scrubbin' my hands when i come back..i don't see how gloves will help whatsoever when i need to wash my hands after taking them off anyway...maybe that's me.

also making my current shoes outside shoes, and the brand new pair in a box i had on deck inside shoes. trying to get the rest of groceries delivered is going to suckkkkkk (nyc)..if half of ny is getting this, i'm trying to hold out as long as i can

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

Where was i wrong?

I just told you

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

I said come in! posted:

On the off chance that I go out into public during all of this, I would wear a mask, but still act as if I wasn't wearing one, so staying 6 feet away, things like that.

I think it's safe to say that even an expired mask is better than no mask. Hell even using your shirt to cover your mouth and nose is better than nothing. Just use what you can. Not sure why the surgeon general was telling us not to wear masks earlier. Probably to prevent hoarding and shortages, but I think it caused more harm than good.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Also extreme lol at the irony of "spread lies that will kill people"

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

my game plan is to do the old t shirt thing and not bother with gloves when i haveta go out from now on. it's short trips, and i'll just keep scrubbin' my hands when i come back..i don't see how gloves will help whatsoever when i need to wash my hands after taking them off anyway...maybe that's me.

also making my current shoes outside shoes, and the brand new pair in a box i had on deck inside shoes. trying to get the rest of groceries delivered is going to suckkkkkk (nyc)..if half of ny is getting this, i'm trying to hold out as long as i can
If you can, also put some kitchen towel or tissue layers inbetween the shirt's cotton layers. And gloves would only make sense insofar as they keep the virus from going into skin folds, under your nails etc. This is more a concern when you're in an environment with a LOT of the virus around.

JK Fresco posted:

I just told you
At least you admit to doing nothing but lying and trolling, gotcha.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nckdictator posted:

I do find it funny how you have a few people making sense but they all get shouted down.

quote:

Chlorine water and sun kills the virus. Let's go Villages Pools. Open so we can exercise and get some sun.

Luv 2 swim in 20% bleach water.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

JK Fresco posted:

COVID-19 mutates fairly slowly so unless it hss other weird features they should be able to make a vaccine

The reason people were caught off guard is because it's novel and there was no warning, because there was a coverup

There were multiple attempts at a SARS-COV-1 vaccine over the past two decades, the ones which reached rodent trials all resulted in a considerably higher fatality rate than the virus itself. It'd be great if the media stopped calling this "coronavirus" and addressed it for what it is: a mutation of SARS.

I'm not saying a vaccine is impossible with the full weight of the world bearing down on the researchers now, just that most of the groundwork has already been done on this and come up against a brick wall. Repeatedly.

If they succeed maybe we'll learn something and actually start funding fusion research, too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JK Fresco posted:

I just told you

You didn't

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

I think it's safe to say that even an expired mask is better than no mask. Hell even using your shirt to cover your mouth and nose is better than nothing. Just use what you can. Not sure why the surgeon general was telling us not to wear masks earlier. Probably to prevent hoarding and shortages, but I think it caused more harm than good.

In germany the WHO and RKI literally outright said they recommend against masks because medical personnel need as many of them as possible, i.e. fully acknowledged that the recommendation against them had nothing to do with effectiveness and was only based on "average people are genocidal idiots".

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

I mean my gaming rig is heavy but I don't think lifting it is gonna swole me up as much as the protein

Pretty sure you're joking, but foldingathome.org is data pooling community where people can use their computers to run protein folding simulations while it's idle. The data is pooled and researched at Stanford and other universities to find cures for diseases. At first I was afraid it was just a bitcoin mining scam in disguise, but I did some research and it seems legit.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

In germany the WHO and RKI literally outright said they recommend against masks because medical personnel need as many of them as possible, i.e. fully acknowledged that the recommendation against them had nothing to do with effectiveness and was only based on "average people are genocidal idiots".

COVID19 isn't an airborne pathogen dumbass

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JK Fresco posted:

Lol ok

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

the "masks don't help you" meme is now kind of entrenched where i live. they really did a lot of harm to the public by lying about that instead of actually telling the truth

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
If you don't know what the difference between airborne and droplet transmission is then you don't know what you're talking about

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Gianthogweed posted:

Pretty sure you're joking, but foldingathome.org is data pooling community where people can use their computers to run protein folding simulations while it's idle. The data is pooled and researched at Stanford and other universities to find cures for diseases. At first I was afraid it was just a bitcoin mining scam in disguise, but I did some research and it seems legit.

I am joking and I did it for SETI

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JK Fresco posted:

If you don't know what the difference between airborne and droplet transmission is then you don't know what you're talking about

No one claims it's airborne

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Masks don't help you they help everyone else. This is the standard line. They probably help indirectly by making you think twice before shoving your dirty hands into your nose and mouth

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

JK Fresco posted:

Correct. The droplets carrying it are however airborne for a varying (if admittedly low) amount of time, depending on environment, air flow, etc. So you're still having some work to do to prove "masks don't protect".

Anyhow, enjoy everyone:

https://twitter.com/marijeali/status/1244027885016567809
https://twitter.com/marijeali/status/1244027898115362817

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

If you can, also put some kitchen towel or tissue layers inbetween the shirt's cotton layers. And gloves would only make sense insofar as they keep the virus from going into skin folds, under your nails etc. This is more a concern when you're in an environment with a LOT of the virus around.
At least you admit to doing nothing but lying and trolling, gotcha.

You're hysterical

Seriously stop making poo poo up off of suggestions you've read on the internet

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i know we've been over this, but as per my information, masks also help (to some extent) against incoming droplet transmission, am I right?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Going for a bike ride. Curious to see what some parts of the city is like.

I still have to work on Monday. :(

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

Correct. The droplets carrying it are however airborne for a varying (if admittedly low) amount of time, depending on environment, air flow, etc. So you're still having some work to do to prove "masks don't protect".

You don't know ehat you're talking about

Public service announcement: this guy is a self-taught virus "expert" do NOT listen to his made-up advice

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Mox Hombre posted:

i know we've been over this, but as per my information, masks also help (to some extent) against incoming droplet transmission, am I right?

yes but the problem is if you're in an aerosol cloud it's also going in your eyes

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JK Fresco posted:

Masks don't help you they help everyone else. This is the standard line. They probably help indirectly by making you think twice before shoving your dirty hands into your nose and mouth

I really like the "My mask protects you. Your mask protects me." line. Turns it from a selfish act to a social one.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Mox Hombre posted:

You're supposed to wear the mask to prevent spreading the virus to others.

They might be better than nothing but you should in no way rely on them if you're actually being exposed. Then you need actual PPE like a respirator. But a normal member of the public shouldn't be getting exposed in the first place

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

JK Fresco posted:

You don't know ehat you're talking about

Public service announcement: this guy is a self-taught virus "expert" do NOT listen to his made-up advice

Jk you’re getting a bit too aggressive. But in the mean time what are your credentials in this field out of curiosity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

Not a white supremacist.

The one droplet rule