Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Expecting a pretty massive fakeout come next week. The clone that melts in Toga’s arms even makes a point of saying he’s melting cause he fell, not cause Twice-Prime is dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

TheHan posted:

Expecting a pretty massive fakeout come next week. The clone that melts in Toga’s arms even makes a point of saying he’s melting cause he fell, not cause Twice-Prime is dying

I took that as the clone saying twice prime fell, not the clone.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TheHan posted:

Of course it's not because Twice-Prime died. We already know that clones survive even if the one who made then died.

It was because of the balcony, but the clone's good bye speech was because he just saw his original get stabbed in the head, and he knows he's the last clone.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Looks like Dabi's mysterious backstory is gonna finally get fleshed out. My guess is he's from the same program that Hawks was in that you see in the current credits for the anime, I'm guessing a program to raise strong heroes rather than Endeavor's lost son.

I never understood all the Dabi hate from the thread. He hasn't always had a ton to do, but he's always been quite competent. Targeting Twice with his blast because he knew Hawks would try to save him was a clever and cold blooded move that crippled a lot of hawks' power. With the reveal that he never trusted Hawks but still brought him into the fold, I think that the double agent theory that people have been throwing around might be real.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

I never understood all the Dabi hate from the thread. He hasn't always had a ton to do, but he's always been quite competent.

name literally one thing that he's ever done right other than distracting the heroes in the woods, five years ago

he's a preening sadist who's either dead weight or actively detrimental to his allies' goals at every possible turn

if he actually WAS a double agent it would justify a lot of his incompetence but his nothing-personnel-kid schtick would still be obnoxious

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Toga is gonna murder the poo poo out of Hawks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

name literally one thing that he's ever done right other than distracting the heroes in the woods, five years ago

he's a preening sadist who's either dead weight or actively detrimental to his allies' goals at every possible turn

if he actually WAS a double agent it would justify a lot of his incompetence but his nothing-personnel-kid schtick would still be obnoxious

This is kind of a weird response considering that the thread was 100% wrong about Twice's "death" being his fault, lmao.

I don't actually like Dabi either but it's pretty hilarious that this thread whips itself into a frenzy over spoilers for days and then they're not even accurate.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The shnk is off camera. The clone certainly believes he's the last, and at the moment the audience it supposed to believe it, too, but it isn't over for Twice until there's a body.

It's hard for me to believe Hawks is cold-blooded enough to follow through. On top of that, it's hard to believe Hori would throw away such an obvious source of fodder generation for people to fight. But if Hawks did kill Twice, then I expect this to be the catalyst for the tide turning. It's like a karmic imbalance that would need answering.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tweet my meat posted:

Looks like Dabi's mysterious backstory is gonna finally get fleshed out. My guess is he's from the same program that Hawks was in that you see in the current credits for the anime, I'm guessing a program to raise strong heroes rather than Endeavor's lost son.

What if it's all of the above? Endeavor gives up on Toya, switches his focus to Shoto, but the Program takes Toya in. To cover for Toya's disappearance, the official word is that he died?

Also a detail I liked from this chapter: Twice stabs the hero the same way Twice1 gets stabbed by Hawks. Same sound effect, even.

Also some thoughts. I think it's pretty clear that Hawks really does kill Twice there. The panel with the blood spatter and the handkerchief floating down and being given to Toga is a pretty clear sign that he's dead. Hawks tells himself "Think of the mission", and Twice is far too loving dangerous to leave alive even if Hawks thinks he can still save Twice. The situation got out of hand, so he has to put the mission first and foremost instead of taking another risk on trying to contain Twice instead of just finishing him off.

Upon rereading (the action isn't clear on a first read, partly because Hori keeps flipping perspective directions) on page 7 you can see that Dabi roasts the two additional clones that Twice was able to make. Only one clone manages to escape, the one Twice makes before Hawks skewers him, and that's the clone that makes its way to Toga.

Twice is dead.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Oxxidation posted:

Effortlessly killing the sand based pro hero during the highway attack along with compress just off the top of my head. I have never understood the desperate need from the thread to twist Dabi into some kind of bumbling incompetent despite it not being supported at all by the actual story. It's like some weird collective headcanon. He's an unlikable sadist sure, I'll give you that. If you think it's a bad thing to write a villain character as being sadistic and unlikable, then I'm not entirely sure how I would respond to that.

The only reason he doesn't do much is because we haven't really expanded much on his character yet which it seems will be happening soon, so hopefully this weird thread obsession with the character will ease off soon.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Was it ever said anywhere that Hawks' name was supposed to be a secret?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, I can't really put my finger on the name for Twice and Toga's relationship. Not romantic. More than just good friends. Like siblings doesn't seem to cover it, and neither does father/daughter...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I believe the technical term is "besties"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

A screw up uncle and his delinquent niece.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Junpei posted:

You know, I can't really put my finger on the name for Twice and Toga's relationship. Not romantic. More than just good friends. Like siblings doesn't seem to cover it, and neither does father/daughter...

nakama :v:

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I forget, did Toga lose her nice coat?
If so, this is just tragedy after tragedy for her.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

:hmmyes:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Despite being one of the most insistent on Dabi being a gently caress-up, I did like him legitimately smiling and high-fiving Twice when they thought he had got Hawks. It's the first time he's shown any sign of actually liking anyone else in the League.

Anyway, man, poor Twice. That was sad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

Effortlessly killing the sand based pro hero during the highway attack along with compress just off the top of my head. I have never understood the desperate need from the thread to twist Dabi into some kind of bumbling incompetent despite it not being supported at all by the actual story. It's like some weird collective headcanon. He's an unlikable sadist sure, I'll give you that. If you think it's a bad thing to write a villain character as being sadistic and unlikable, then I'm not entirely sure how I would respond to that.

The only reason he doesn't do much is because we haven't really expanded much on his character yet which it seems will be happening soon, so hopefully this weird thread obsession with the character will ease off soon.

drat, killing some rando we've never heard of before or ever will again and not even doing it solo. real impressive, dabi

glibness aside though, dabi's not incompetent or anything but he's very much the villain alliance's momo where they've been treading water going 'any day now i'll get some actual character development! just you wait!' for years now, so it's understandable that some people have just lost patience with the character and stopped giving a poo poo about 'em

even in the drat 'this is where the bad guys get more backstory and get more powerful' arc he's just kinda there. loving spinner gets more narrative presence in that arc than dabi got

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dabi is a bumbling failure but no more so than the rest of the League, minus Kurogiri and maybe Toga.

At Summer camp, I'd say all of them get to share equally in the "victory" of getting Bakugo. Notably, Mr. Compress snagged him originally, and Dabi picked up the fumble. Bonus points for Toga getting Ochaco's blood I guess.

All of them are equally impotent in the Hideout Raid.

Toga got the bonus mission of being undercover at the Provisional License Exam and actually got Deku's blood.

Toga and Twice screwing things up for the Yakuza... I mean it was fun to watch, but I don't really know what it did in the long run. After that their other scheme of using a Clone of Mr. Compress to steal Eri or the serum failed spectacularly.

Dabi and Mr. Compress get a point for killing Snatch together.

Dabi's solo mission of testing out the High End was a miss.

And in the current extended saga, Toga got a power-up and killed Curious which was nice I guess. Twice got his power-up but in the end Shigaraki took care of Re-Destro himself anyway.

I guess what I'm really saying is that Spinner is clearly the dead weight of the group, not Dabi.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I don't care abt dabi being competent or not, I just have not cared about his character even a single time and think it would have been very cool and good if he died instead of Magne :(

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I don't care abt dabi being competent or not, I just have not cared about his character even a single time and think it would have been very cool and good if he died instead of Magne :(

Magne did nothing in the story and only got all of her character development the page before she died. Before that she threaten to crush the skull of a Pussycat, and Tiger listed out all her crimes, including murder. She was a boring, overly cruel bad guy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh jay posted:

Magne did nothing in the story and only got all of her character development the page before she died. Before that she threaten to crush the skull of a Pussycat, and Tiger listed out all her crimes, including murder. She was a boring, overly cruel bad guy.

and yet if she survived she'd have better odds of changing or having her character more fleshed out than dabi's been because magne's character isn't all hidden behind a mystery horikoshi is still keeping very close to his chest despite the fact everyone already figured it out years ago

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Trivia thread:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1244318416543965184

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

and yet if she survived she'd have better odds of changing or having her character more fleshed out than dabi's been because magne's character isn't all hidden behind a mystery horikoshi is still keeping very close to his chest despite the fact everyone already figured it out years ago

If Magne didn't die there, we would have gotten that flashback tortuously slowly over one narration box per chapter for dozens of chapters, like we did with Spinner.

Also we still don't know anything about Mr. Compress, so it's not like Dabi's stealing the spotlight because Magne's dead. He's stealing the spotlight because that's the story Horikoshi wants to write.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Okay so the translator is seemingly convinced that Hawks killed Twice. :(

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Dabi and Twice both got to be cool this chapter and anyone tying themselves in knots to try and spot the "twist" where Twice isn't actually dead is basically asking for a worse version of this story

Great chapter.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

oh jay posted:

I guess what I'm really saying is that Spinner is clearly the dead weight of the group, not Dabi.

Don't talk poo poo on Spinner.

More seriously, Spinner's around and shares in the burdens of his friends, so people like him, even if his super power is basically Mineta's, only much worse.

Dabi's mostly absent, off on secret missions for their doctor friend. He missed a lot of the Villain Alliance living in poverty and hunger because he was busy "recruiting" people. Most of those recruits he just burned to death, except for Hawks, who I think we can agree was not really a big get.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Dabi and Twice both got to be cool this chapter and anyone tying themselves in knots to try and spot the "twist" where Twice isn't actually dead is basically asking for a worse version of this story

Great chapter.

You can't get me to trust writers not to lie to me. I watched Lost back in high school!

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

I hope Twice isn't dead for real since he is one of my favorite characters. He didn't just go "Hey I'm flippin' dying, farewell!" so I'm going to guess he is totally out for this battle and really messed up but not dead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If he's fine it destroys any sense of emotional impact this chapter has. It would absolutely suck and make the story worse. The only reason to believe it is a general "well, it's misdirection" handwave despite there not being any indication this is the case.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Well we do know a guy who is good at making zombie nomu, so death doesn't mean it's the last we see of Twice.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I like that Compress isn't necessarily shocked that he got grabbed, but IS surprised that Toga did, even noting that the enemy must have some sort of quirk that's nullifying her Ninja Bullshit.

Also she is 100% going to digivolve into a knife tornado. Twice might not have been a lover, but they definitely had a pretty strong emotional bond.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Dabi is literally the one responsible for this entire mess. Dabi going "I never trusted you in the first place" doesn't make him look cool or like he totally outplayed Hawks, it just makes him look like a loving moron whose decision to invite a top hero to spy on them for no benefit ended up with their hideout being raided and their second or third most important member getting killed. At least Skeptic is clearly portrayed as not actually being as smart as he thinks he is so him getting burned for playing pointless 5D chess rather than just killing the blatant traitor makes sense, but we clearly aren't actually supposed to feel that way about Dabi. And yeah it's not impossible that this whole situation actually is somehow part of Dabi's master plot, since Dabi's motivations as a whole are still pretty much entirely obscured, but until we actually get explicit confirmation of that, or any sort of actual reason for why on Earth Dabi would take on such a huge liability that doesn't just amount to "the author wanted a cool double agent plotline even if it doesn't actually make much sense" my opinion on him is gonna stay negative.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

At this point, I hope we never get a backstory for Compress, I want him to just be this weird magician guy who showed up to a villain recruitment drive one day and has just been going along with all this ever since.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

oh jay posted:

and if im gonna get that i'd much rather get it from a trans woman than Yet Another Edgy Fire Guy

edit: like tbh i'm not rly invested in the greater argument im just saying that i also think dabi is boring

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I wouldn’t be surprised if Twice isn’t dead (no body no sell) but I fully believe he was severely injured and taken out of the fight, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up in custody by whoever survives this right

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

oh jay posted:

Dabi is a bumbling failure but no more so than the rest of the League, minus Kurogiri and maybe Toga.

At Summer camp, I'd say all of them get to share equally in the "victory" of getting Bakugo. Notably, Mr. Compress snagged him originally, and Dabi picked up the fumble.
A fumble that only happened because Dabi didn't do anything about Aoyama when he noticed him.

oh jay posted:

Dabi and Mr. Compress get a point for killing Snatch together.
Compress had Snatch handled on his own. All Dabi did was make it lethal instead of just getting him out of the way, which doesn't actually change the success of the mission.

oh jay posted:

And in the current extended saga, Toga got a power-up and killed Curious which was nice I guess. Twice got his power-up but in the end Shigaraki took care of Re-Destro himself anyway.

Spinner succeeds in every task he's assigned except for when Deku blindsided him and he wouldn't let Magne kill him. And that wasn't even a failure, it was him standing up for the reason he had joined the league in the first place (which Shigaraki was using to recruit people). Between Dabi and Spinner, one of these two actually handled their target during the MVA arc.

Meanwhile Dabi invited a traitor into their midst and if we take Dabi at his word he, unlike Twice, was never fooled and just let Hawks have the run of the place regardless, not even warning his team mates to be careful.

Rhonne posted:

At this point, I hope we never get a backstory for Compress, I want him to just be this weird magician guy who showed up to a villain recruitment drive one day and has just been going along with all this ever since.
I like to think that Compress is on retainer by All for One. When everyone else was broke, Compress went back to his lavish apartment every night to unwind and never told anyone.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 29, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I feel like the people saying twice isn't dead can't read in between the lines very well. His whole speech at the end of the chapter is a very obvious 'I'm dead, but I don't regret the life I lived' bit, and to go back on that would be awful writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Here's a crazy thought

Maybe Dabi being a douchebag...

is intentional