Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

You were hyper aggressive itt then stopped when I asked this. Seems like bullshit, you have reports stacked so I’d respond soon if I were you.

If you are going to start demanding to see the papers of anyone with an opinion in GBS to prove they are qualified to speak on a subject you should probably just clean house now.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Gianthogweed posted:

What do you guys think of protein folding? Could that lead to a cure?

The very least, it could lead to a greater understanding of how COVID-19 works, and how drug candidates react to it.

We're pushing Folding@Home and BOINC Rosetta@Home over on the SH/SC BOINC thread, come hang out with us.

BOINC/Grid computing: Numbers Go Up, Hardware Edition
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871439

In news, Folding@Home crossed over one ExaFLOP a few days ago because of COVID-19.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Doesn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't take it. A lot of hospitals don't really have a workflow for dealing with reusable masks like that (there's a reason they use disposable PPE).
Fwiw, according to the CDC n95 type masks are reusable unless specifically marked non-reusable, and i've seen a lot of anecdotal statements from medical personnel that they're cycling through 3 masks, etc. But yeah, that applies mainly to hospitals in catastrophic circumstances.

sincx posted:

lmao not surprised at all that the most vocal "China is lying about everything" posters are simultaneously spreading Trump admin misinformation
I was wondering why that Jim guy would even tweet that, but now i get it: Trying to make Trump look good.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

If you are going to start demanding to see the papers of anyone with an opinion in GBS to prove they are qualified to speak on a subject you should probably just clean house now.

lol seriously, this was a stupid request

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

sincx posted:

lmao not surprised at all that the most vocal "China is lying about everything" posters are simultaneously spreading Trump admin misinformation

old mnoba would mock you here, troll you pretty bad, and have a good laugh. new mnoba in this urgent pandemic is just going to advise you to do your own research, and at least don't get your virus advise from corporate media. stay safe friend.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We laughed at the idiots wearing transparent liquid containers over their heads but honestly if I had to be in a high-risk area and the only other option was wearing no protection, I'd wear that poo poo and accept the mockery any day

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah I'm not actually going to quote what you say.

Ohhh poor widdle VikingSkull are people suggesting that Trumpykins is doing a bad job? That's a shame. If only their was some way to prevent most people from saying such a thing. You know like Trump not being incompetent? Oh I guess that would be impossible.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
It's still kind or hard to make people take this thing seriously in Switzerland...

I told my mom to look at what will happen the next 5 days in the US - I hope my predictions are wrong :-/

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I'd like to hear JK's credentials since he specifically told us all to not listen to the other guy because of the other guys credentials.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I didn’t demand papers lol

Just he said
“ Public service announcement: this guy is a self-taught virus "expert"

There’s a backlog of reports on them and was genuinely curious.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
The most important thing during a crisis is to mock idiots so they double down out of spite and die first

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dear Watson posted:

I'd like to hear JK's credentials since he specifically told us all to not listen to the other guy because of the other guys credentials.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
would you like to hear about my credenza

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Google Butt posted:

nothing I love more than goons announcing their horny levels

im at a 69 out of 100

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

For anyone wondering about whether food can get you covid-19: https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

If you're going to hyper aggressively poo poo up a thread about a topic, maybe don't be surprised when someone calls you on how you figure.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

Fwiw, according to the CDC n95 type masks are reusable unless specifically marked non-reusable, and i've seen a lot of anecdotal statements from medical personnel that they're cycling through 3 masks, etc. But yeah, that applies mainly to hospitals in catastrophic circumstances.

Theoretically they are in that yeah, well handled and non-contaminated N95s can be re-used. But the guidance also says non-emergency re-use is usually only considered when contact transmission isn't a concern. Now this is an emergency so everything is on the table, but considering supplies may be (are in some places) so stretched that they're even considering re-using masks between shifts, finding and implementing a way to reliably disinfect them is super important. That's real difficult from a technical, process, and staffing standpoint.

It's also a huge hit to staff morale when they're forced to re-using a mask, especially between shifts.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 29, 2020

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

VikingSkull posted:

I say this a lot, but if you're in Europe, look at America like the EU and not the nation you're in.

Those are called "states" here.

Serious question, what's even the point of the federal government then? Other than wars apparently.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Whoria Discordia posted:

If you're going to hyper aggressively poo poo up a thread about a topic, maybe don't be surprised when someone calls you on how you figure.

how are you guys really expecting this to go down

either the guy is going to say he's qualified due to whatever, which could also be 100% bullshit, and everyone just accepts it

or you ask him to "prove it", which is basically just doxing at that point

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Whoria Discordia posted:

Serious question, what's even the point of the federal government then? Other than wars apparently.

As far as stuff like this? Not much. Rhode Island decided to block off visitors from New York, and the governor of New York threatened to sue them because of it. The states are actually who are deciding ground level responses to this, which is why I think it's salient to compare our numbers with the EU as a whole. If New York decides to lock down but Florida leaves the beaches open, the disease is going to spread, and the Federal government can't really stop or force either response.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fartbox posted:

Why is poo poo spreading so fast in America comparatively? What the hell are you guys doing

Lickin stuff at Walmart plus half of our population has been told and believes it’s just the flu bro

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Fartbox posted:

Why is poo poo spreading so fast in America comparatively?

It's not, it's spreading just as fast in Germany, UK, Netherlands, etc on a per capita basis.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Haha looked at the news this morning and they interviewed some chinese doc today about the virus and asked what the west is doing wrong. he said people are not wearing masks. Are you sure it's not that we actually report cases and deaths? are you totally sure about that brother?

What a piece of poo poo.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

As far as stuff like this? Not much. Rhode Island decided to block off visitors from New York, and the governor of New York threatened to sue them because of it. The states are actually who are deciding ground level responses to this, which is why I think it's salient to compare our numbers with the EU as a whole. If New York decides to lock down but Florida leaves the beaches open, the disease is going to spread, and the Federal government can't really stop or force either response.

on one hand i don't blame new yorkers trying to flee their city just due to the population density and the chronic mismanagement, but man at least go somewhere and hunker down for awhile before you go out and about

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

To be fair this doesn't make a whole lot of sense because as say a pig poo poo shoveler I can still point out that you shouldn't follow medical advice from someone who isnt a doctor or can directly quote one.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Nurge posted:

Haha looked at the news this morning and they interviewed some chinese doc today about the virus and asked what the west is doing wrong. he said people are not wearing masks. Are you sure it's not that we actually report cases and deaths? are you totally sure about that brother?

What a piece of poo poo.

do you think south korea and taiwan are also lying?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Theoretically they are in that yeah, well handled and non-contaminated N95s can be re-used. But the guidance also says non-emergency re-use is usually only considered when contact transmission isn't a concern. Now this is an emergency so everything is on the table, but considering supplies may be (are in some places) so stretched that they're even considering re-using masks between shifts, finding and implementing a way to reliably disinfect them is super important. That's real difficult from a technical, process, and staffing standpoint.

It's also a huge hit to staff morale when they're forced to re-using a mask, especially between shifts.
Fair points, and especially the morale bit i hadn't seen before.

In case you hadn't seen it yet: There's a HK customer protection org website that claims N95 masks can be sterilized with very little loss of functionality by holding them into hot steam.

https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/news/2020/covid-19-diymasks

Il Federale posted:

how are you guys really expecting this to go down

either the guy is going to say he's qualified due to whatever, which could also be 100% bullshit, and everyone just accepts it

or you ask him to "prove it", which is basically just doxing at that point
Personally, i don't even care what his credentials are. If i'm wrong and he has the knowledge then i'd love to be accurately and clearly corrected about how i'm wrong, and i gave him plenty of chances to do that.

Nurge posted:

What a piece of poo poo.
Hrm.
https://twitter.com/N0l30DYKN0WS/status/1243956909989867520

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This thread right now:

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

This thread right now:

lmao

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Gianthogweed posted:

More testing, and it's a pretty big country with a lot of people compared to European Countries.

The numbers I saw the other day had the US rate of testing at 22 per 100,000. By contrast, the UK rate was 117 per 100,000 and the Australian rate was 558 per 100,00.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
All glory to Burtstotzka.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

There's plenty of evidence that masks on a societal level don't do a loving thing. Just looking at a chart and going hmm this must be the reason is loving idiotic. Hth

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Nurge posted:

There's plenty of evidence that masks on a societal level don't do a loving thing. Just looking at a chart and going hmm this must be the reason is loving idiotic. Hth

So the virus is stored in the balls

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Nurge posted:

why is China in the no mask section

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

dokmo posted:

It's not, it's spreading just as fast in Germany, UK, Netherlands, etc on a per capita basis.

It's not, the US is currently one of the fastest increasing countries.

source: https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/coronavirus-infizierte-genesene-tote-alle-live-daten-a-242d71d5-554b-47b6-969a-cd920e8821f1

I bet it's however mostly a thing to do with testing and available data, almost no european country has been doing quarantine long enough for there to already be a big decrease in new cases.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I'm guessing it's simply because large scale testing is finally happening in the US.

Similar to how South Korea's numbers shot through the roof when they kicked off the mass testing. A shame it took so long to get to that point.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 29, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Nurge posted:

There's plenty of evidence that masks on a societal level don't do a loving thing.
Can you link to such evidence?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What is this poo poo. China obviously falls under Masks, while Singapore does not. Stop posting fake and wrong information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Fartbox posted:

Why is poo poo spreading so fast in America comparatively? What the hell are you guys doing
Not wearing masks.

Y'all who bring up the "it can get in your eyes" line are correct, but you know that there are things called goggles and safety glasses, right? And the one DIY link posted earlier (https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/news/specials/2020/mask-diy-tips.html) advocates using a plastic file folder as a face shield.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 29, 2020