Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

he looks so happy :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

Paper towels MUST be destroyed! :hist101:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra’s favorite spot in the world is the headboard to my bed.

But the second I start thumb typing, she tumbles herself down for scritches.

In the time it took me to thumb type that, she waddled her way down to my chest for very important scritches.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Today Birb scared the daylights out of me by flying out of the office and landing on my shoulder from behind when I had headphones on

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Today Birb scared the daylights out of me by flying out of the office and landing on my shoulder from behind when I had headphones on

The best kind of jumpscare.

Today I'd like to introduce to you the California Towhee

I deliberately saved these pictures for a couple of days later since

They are a resident. Every time I check this trap this silly bird is in there.

It's gotten to the point where they will still flee from capture, but once caught they know they can just chill out.

Surprisingly sweet little bird. I've heard that there's a family that's been spotted every year at this trap, so I won't be shocked when more arrive. Apparently very little sexual dimorphism in this species, the females are slightly larger. I've only seen two, primarily this one, so I have no way of knowing what their preferred pronoun is.

Kinda want to name them, since I see them a couple times a week. Each time I'll catch them and let them out. Without fail they'll go back in for the free food, water and shelter from the raptors.

I'd say they are clever, but it's pretty hard to tell. They are really bad at evading capture. Maybe a choice?

They are without a doubt the one I included in the first post, but now they get a post of their own. Good job, bird.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 30, 2020

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Terror Ninja posted:

Paper towels MUST be destroyed! :hist101:

good bird

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Henlo does anyone have a safflower seed they might be willing to donate to this poor birb that is obviously mistreated and unloved

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

mediaphage posted:

Henlo does anyone have a safflower seed they might be willing to donate to this poor birb that is obviously mistreated and unloved

this needs to be in black and white, slowly zooming into his eye with the song "arms of the angel" playing over the top

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mediaphage posted:

Oh crap; I think mediaphage is dead and their bird's gotten access to their SA account... :ohdear:.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I got an email from work: my boss had to request that all the folks working from home please refrain from bringing their pets into the room when doing video conferences. One of my coworkers has a parrot (a sun conure, specifically), and apparently the parrot was screaming loudly enough at the laptop during a conference this morning to drown out everything everyone was saying.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

good birb

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
But was it asking if this could all be handled via email instead of a meeting? And could they add more sunflower seeds to the budget?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cythereal posted:

I got an email from work: my boss had to request that all the folks working from home please refrain from bringing their pets into the room when doing video conferences. One of my coworkers has a parrot (a sun conure, specifically), and apparently the parrot was screaming loudly enough at the laptop during a conference this morning to drown out everything everyone was saying.

I can't stop laughing at this mental image, thank you.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
My sister's sun did a bunch of fart noises and squeaky sneezes

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My coworkers asked if someone had a dog nearby.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Speaking of dumb parrot noises, Charlemagne does a really good cough sound and spent an entire Uber ride last week coughing sporadically and getting us really anxious looks from our driver.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm still trying to get Ozzy's sneeze on camera. It's not the most realistic sneeze, but it's pretty cute.

I had a zoom meeting this morning get interrupted by a dog who really wanted to be part of everything. Don't know who these people are who get upset about surprise pets.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Aren’t sun conures the loudest parrot by decibel?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Indeed! :haw:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

The shop birds gave me several opportunities to do literal side by side comparisons. At decibels per gram, sun/jenday conures maybe win out. Absolute volume? Macaws and cockatoos will leave you deafer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Log posted:

Aren’t sun conures the loudest parrot by decibel?

Some treats I found while googling this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3r2fvRZmLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2WzxbQp5mo&t=58s

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Suntan Boy posted:

The shop birds gave me several opportunities to do literal side by side comparisons. At decibels per gram, sun/jenday conures maybe win out. Absolute volume? Macaws and cockatoos will leave you deafer.

Yeah, sunnies are loudest decibel:body size (which I presumed was to what Log referred) but 'toos, unsurprisingly, reign supreme.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

I'm still trying to get Ozzy's sneeze on camera. It's not the most realistic sneeze, but it's pretty cute.

I had a zoom meeting this morning get interrupted by a dog who really wanted to be part of everything. Don't know who these people are who get upset about surprise pets.

lol Trev will sit there and out of the blue make a sniff sniff sound and then say "choo choo bless you" It's hilarious...it sounds nothing like a sneeze but, he tries! It's always at the most random times too...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I can't stop laughing at this mental image, thank you.

I sent a private email to the coworker, who I'm friends with (she was stunned I recognized a sun conure when I saw it, which I did thanks to this thread!). According to her, it's because one of the staff was wearing a yellow shirt, and Jericho (the conure) really loving hates yellow clothing.

Birds.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Cythereal posted:

I sent a private email to the coworker, who I'm friends with (she was stunned I recognized a sun conure when I saw it, which I did thanks to this thread!). According to her, it's because one of the staff was wearing a yellow shirt, and Jericho (the conure) really loving hates yellow clothing.

Birds.

Oh my god I'm dying at this, it's so birds.

I had a 1:1 meeting with a co-worker and Kiwi kept squeaking the entire time and my co-worker told me it sounded like a piglet the entire time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/WritNelson/status/1244774973580947457

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Birds.

...Does he realize that he is yellow?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Might actually be why he hates the clothing. Uncanny valley parrots?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

It's cultural appropriation.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In my experience birds most hate things the same colour as them. Only I'm allowed to be yellow!! gently caress you!!!!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
You're doing it wrong!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
All my birds have always hated red.

Wandy the Eldertiel who passed a few years back wouldn’t eat yellow pellets.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Our B&G macaw hated red, he also used to make little nose blowing noises if someone got a tissue out :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Potato birb...

https://0x0.st/iM9G.webm

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

:3

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/qvmraWh.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reverse that and add electrical sparks and you've got a pretty good Akira bike slide.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

why, birb, what could possibly be in there (it’s safflower seeds)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/fs93q7/tifu_by_not_muting_myself_in_an_online_class/

quote:

So, I have a parrot and online classes. We are not required to have video in the online class, so we just connect our microphones. Today, my bed, was extremely comfortable. As I got up at 10 am to join the online meeting in Zoom, my bed started calling me. I loving felt it. I joined, and didn't mute myself. Normally I'd mute myself because I have a parrot. My parrot is an Indian Ringneck, and those bastards are loud as gently caress. I decided to fall asleep through the whole class as my bed felt so good. Only after I woke up an hour after the class I realised I was still in the meeting with an unmuted microphone. I texted one of my classmates and they told me they couldn't have a normal class, and the teacher didn't know how to kick me out. They also said they tried talking with the parrot, they told me he said "Hello" and "What you doing" and then proceeded to repeat "ok" for the duration of the class.

TLDR: I joined my online class, forgot to mute myself, slept, and my parrot was screaming all throughout it.

EDIT: Talked with my teacher to explain her what the hell was going on and she told me she hadn't muted me because she wanted to have fun with the parrot. I guess teachers can get lonely in such depressing times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mochi's been bored so I cut him a cardboard box house with a couple windows and doors and put some treats inside. He won't go inside, but he has discovered dragging his beak along it, and nails on cardboard is my nails on a chalkboard noise. I just want to do nice things for you bird, why do you torture me? They've both been awful since I've been home self isolating. They're lucky they're cute little buggers.