Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BlitznBurst posted:

Dabi is literally the one responsible for this entire mess. Dabi going "I never trusted you in the first place" doesn't make him look cool or like he totally outplayed Hawks, it just makes him look like a loving moron whose decision to invite a top hero to spy on them for no benefit ended up with their hideout being raided and their second or third most important member getting killed. At least Skeptic is clearly portrayed as not actually being as smart as he thinks he is so him getting burned for playing pointless 5D chess rather than just killing the blatant traitor makes sense, but we clearly aren't actually supposed to feel that way about Dabi. And yeah it's not impossible that this whole situation actually is somehow part of Dabi's master plot, since Dabi's motivations as a whole are still pretty much entirely obscured, but until we actually get explicit confirmation of that, or any sort of actual reason for why on Earth Dabi would take on such a huge liability that doesn't just amount to "the author wanted a cool double agent plotline even if it doesn't actually make much sense" my opinion on him is gonna stay negative.

Uh yeah uh huh this would all make sense and be reasonable if Dabi was the one calling the shots at all and if everyone else was blindly trusting Hawks when they were all monitoring him as much as possible cause they didn't 100% trust him either. The only person who really believed him deep down was Twice, hence twice's entire thing for 5 chapters being how guilty he feels that him being duped hurt his friends again. Like I get not liking Dabi cause he hasn't done much in the comic except gently caress around, be rude, and mess with Hawks and Fire Lord Childabuse but uh....he's not the one in the wrong here as far as the actual text of the story and the emotional tone are going for. It's why his line about not trusting him is treated as a 'win' for him and it's followed by him high fiving his dear ally to show they're friends and there's no hard feelings there.

Relax, I get the dude sucks but his aloofness is not the thing at fault for all the antagonists' problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

oh jay posted:

I'd say that the culture festival is plenty proof that he loves the kids just as much.

Lmfao loving beat me to it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The culture festival is great and enjoyable, but man it's not near as intense as stuff like this.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

That's obviously not what I said. Are you intentionally being obtuse, or do you not understand what "that didn't help" means?

Twice giving Hawks information was bad, obviously. But Hawks wouldn't have been there at all if it weren't for Dabi, and Dabi brought him there despite expecting to be double-crossed.

And what did the League get for it? A dead Best Jeanist, after the guy was out of hero work for the foreseeable future anyway. Not a great trade for Twice, Dr Garaki's racket with all those hospitals and stuff he can't use now, a whole lot of High-End Nomu, or anything else they're losing this arc.

There's intent, action, and consequence. Neither Dabi or Twice intended to gently caress over the League. Both of them (inadvertently) acted in a way that hosed over the League. The consequence is the League is hosed over (as far as we can tell so far).

My main thing you are allowed to hate Dabi, but I genuinely think that the "he's a gently caress-up" arguments are all biased by that hate of him. Just say he's dragging down the narrative with his secret Todoroki-ness, because that's 100% true.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

if dabi wasn't a gently caress up why'd his dad ditch him for the latest model? checkmate dabi stans

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is in direct contrast to All Might who even faced with All For One still managed to incapacitate him, not kill him.

All Might punched the entire top of AfO's head off the first time. Just because he couldn't kill him doesn't mean he wasn't trying to kill him.

oh jay posted:

But he didn't notice him? It was a suspenseful, "must have been the wind" kinda thing.
That's called noticing. What competent people do when they notice something off is take a look to make sure.

oh jay posted:

What other tasks? Grand theft auto? Dabi might have one or two failures under his belt, but Spinner's successes are a whole lot of whatever. And no one had a "target" at summer camp other than Bakugo, which was a success for everyone who wasn't arrested.
I don't know how you look at "MVA" and get "summer camp" instead of "My Villain Academia"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hosed up that we had a really excellent chapter starring my boy Twice and pages have instead been spent talking about boring Dabi, I think largely out of inertia from when bad spoilers seemed to suggest he was the one who killed Twice.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

hosed up that we had a really excellent chapter starring my boy Twice and pages have instead been spent talking about boring Dabi, I think largely out of inertia from when bad spoilers seemed to suggest he was the one who killed Twice.

I just have very little sympathy to spare on Twice or most any of the League. Everyone's got a sad story in their past, most of them don't sign up to burn the world down with an indiscriminate murderer and the society of Super Libertarians.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe I missed something, but isn't it still suspected that best jeanist is just in hiding for 6 months and the dead body hawks brought was just a very advanced body double? Hawks killing him for real would be kinda brutal in retrospect, but would also fit his character so i'm conflicted.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

AFO’s head is basically all scar tissue and we never talk about that

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Carlosologist posted:

AFO’s head is basically all scar tissue and we never talk about that

Like, did his brain survive the punch, or was AFO a brainless husk until Doctor Holocaust could fix him up?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Like, did his brain survive the punch, or was AFO a brainless husk until Doctor Holocaust could fix him up?
Alternatively: Elder Toguro'd his brain into his rear end or something.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Let's stop dancing around it and discuss what everyone's really thinking about: do you think Dabi's rear end is all burnt, purple and wrinkly or pale and pristine but held on by staples?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

That's called noticing. What competent people do when they notice something off is take a look to make sure.

That is called looking to the left a little bit, because the author wanted to add dramatic tension and establish that Aoyama was still in play. Unless you really think that the biggest sadist in the series saw a defenseless student and didn't instantly try to kill him.

Adder Moray posted:

I don't know how you look at "MVA" and get "summer camp" instead of "My Villain Academia"

My bad. I was answering the first part of the post and got confused with the second. For the MVA stuff, Dabi's fight was interrupted by Sad Man's Parade, and I literally can't remember who Spinner fought, though I do remember him dunking on him how lovely his quirk is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Something I'm not seeing anyone but Caleb Cook point out and that's a lot more interesting than this never-ending Dabi debate: Dabi calls Hawks by his name, Keigo Takami, which is a shock to Hawks himself. Beyond the weird thing about his name being an unknown in a society where Heroes are known public figures (All Might seemed to be the only person with an actual secret identity), this is not the first time we've seen the last name "Takami". It's in Caleb's trivia but I'll repost it here: Takami was a thief Endeavor caught in the past, as narrated by Ending. The kanji is the exact same according to the commentaries in said thread. There's no way in hell this is a coincidence, and all of it adds even more to how mysterious Hawks' backstory is: we know his name only because of Dabi, no one should know it in spite of going against how Hero Society operates. Said name was used before in the series, in backstory, and for a thief Endeavor caught no less. We know he was trained in some weird program in the past thanks to the anime, but none of this was shown in the manga yet.

Horikoshi is clearly going the breadcrumbs way here, giving us little details one after another, and I want to really know now who Hawks actually is and how he got here.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We all agree that Dabi's hair is fake, right? It's just apart of the skin grafted to his purple burnt head

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

M_Gargantua posted:

Maybe I missed something, but isn't it still suspected that best jeanist is just in hiding for 6 months and the dead body hawks brought was just a very advanced body double? Hawks killing him for real would be kinda brutal in retrospect, but would also fit his character so i'm conflicted.

The fandom suspected that but given what we know about Hawks now...who knows. I feel like it's a lot more ambiguous.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Libra posted:

Let's stop dancing around it and discuss what everyone's really thinking about : do you think Dabi's rear end is all burnt, purple and wrinkly or pale and pristine but held on by staples?

Dabi can't eat spicy food, because it hurts his bottom.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

M_Gargantua posted:

As far as I'm aware that assumption was based on Hawks' carefree demeanor and his being a hero, who obviously wouldn't off another hero in cold blood to infiltrate an organization. Now that we've seen what Hawks is capable of things aren't looking as good for Best Jeanist.

e:f;b

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Something I'm not seeing anyone but Caleb Cook point out and that's a lot more interesting than this never-ending Dabi debate: Dabi calls Hawks by his name, Keigo Takami, which is a shock to Hawks himself. Beyond the weird thing about his name being an unknown in a society where Heroes are known public figures (All Might seemed to be the only person with an actual secret identity), this is not the first time we've seen the last name "Takami". It's in Caleb's trivia but I'll repost it here: Takami was a thief Endeavor caught in the past, as narrated by Ending. The kanji is the exact same according to the commentaries in said thread. There's no way in hell this is a coincidence, and all of it adds even more to how mysterious Hawks' backstory is: we know his name only because of Dabi, no one should know it in spite of going against how Hero Society operates. Said name was used before in the series, in backstory, and for a thief Endeavor caught no less. We know he was trained in some weird program in the past thanks to the anime, but none of this was shown in the manga yet.

Horikoshi is clearly going the breadcrumbs way here, giving us little details one after another, and I want to really know now who Hawks actually is and how he got here.

Ending got busted by Endeavor 7 years ago, the Takami incident was prior to that, Hawks is 22, so that by necessity makes "Takami"/Hawks encountering Endeavor to be at most 14 years old and probably younger than that. Ending says after seeing Endeavor capture Takami, he was inspired by Endeavor, and tried to live up to that before failing. I don't think that process would've happened over a short period of time, I'm going to guess about a couple years at least.

One of the ending photos in the anime's ED shows Hawks under training in the Program. He looks to be between 8-10 years old in that photograph.

If Takami and Hawks are the same person, I wonder whether Endeavor apprehending that thief and turning him over to the government, probably also along with an incident report (we know heroes have to file these), got the government to go "Hey this kid has a lot of potential" and sent him into the special ops training program.

edit: further What do you say Endeavor took Toya along with him on his hero work? And Toya witnessed Endeavor catch a super quick young Hawks? And Hawks being blazing fast today is what tripped that memory for Toya/Dabi, and he calls out Hawks's real name?

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 29, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ending got busted by Endeavor 7 years ago, the Takami incident was prior to that, Hawks is 22, so that by necessity makes "Takami"/Hawks encountering Endeavor to be at most 14 years old and probably younger than that. Ending says after seeing Endeavor capture Takami, he was inspired by Endeavor, and tried to live up to that before failing. I don't think that process would've happened over a short period of time, I'm going to guess about a couple years at least.

One of the ending photos in the anime's ED shows Hawks under training in the Program. He looks to be between 8-10 years old in that photograph.

If Takami and Hawks are the same person, I wonder whether Endeavor apprehending that thief and turning him over to the government, probably also along with an incident report (we know heroes have to file these), got the government to go "Hey this kid has a lot of potential" and sent him into the special ops training program.

edit: further What do you say Endeavor took Toya along with him on his hero work? And Toya witnessed Endeavor catch a super quick young Hawks? And Hawks being blazing fast today is what tripped that memory for Toya/Dabi, and he calls out Hawks's real name?

The Takami Endeavor arrested could also be Hawks' dad. We also already know the government snatched Hawks up when he rescued a bunch of people from an accident as a kid, which may have been after his dad got busted and he was on his own, making it easier for the government to take him in and train.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
One thing I'll note on the whole Hawks real name being shared with an as-yet-unseen thief: the only one of the "Big Three Villains of the Past" who has yet to factor into the story is Oji Harima, the Peerless Thief. Sure, the name's not the same, but :tinfoil:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

oh jay posted:

Dabi is a bumbling failure but no more so than the rest of the League, minus Kurogiri and maybe Toga.

Minus Kurogiri? The guy who let Iida get away in his first appearance and was then so terrible at keeping covert that he got captured by Gran Torino?

Adder Moray posted:

A fumble that only happened because Dabi didn't do anything about Aoyama when he noticed him.

I mean if you're going that far, you're basically just getting mad at the character for not being omniscient.

At the end of the day, not doing anything about Aoyama means that they didn't get Tokoyami, who would've reacted the same way as Bakugo, but still got the guy they were there to retrieve in the first place.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 30, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

People are being weird and want to be mad at a character to the point they believed bullshit fake spoilers to get mad at him for doing something Hawks actually and it's broken their brains.

See:

Adder Moray posted:

I just have very little sympathy to spare on Twice or most any of the League. Everyone's got a sad story in their past, most of them don't sign up to burn the world down with an indiscriminate murderer and the society of Super Libertarians.

Adder Moray posted:

All Might punched the entire top of AfO's head off the first time. Just because he couldn't kill him doesn't mean he wasn't trying to kill him.

This is very similar to what happens in this thread basically anytime Bakugo does anything. Please relax, Dabi's fine Hawk's however is a murderer.

EDIT: Nevermind looking at Adder's post in this thread they seem to only post about how much they hate Dabi so it wasn't the spoilers breaking brains.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Twice is going to show up in a cell singing karaoke in 15 chapters with the only indication that he's on the mend being a bandage on his forehead.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Twice is going to show up in a cell singing karaoke in 15 chapters with the only indication that he's on the mend being a bandage on his forehead.

Like our boy Pell? Anything's possible, I suppose.

Eventually becoming the world's greatest hero better mean Midoriya finds a way to improve this oppressive society, because a status quo ending that relies on murdering Twice is a huge downer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Even though he's basically a cold blooded government assassin, even Hawks was doing everything in his power to avoid killing Twice

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If Twice is alive it's only because Hawks severed his spinal cord in such a way as to leave him permanently paralyzed and unable to use his quirk

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ZiegeDame posted:

If Twice is alive it's only because Hawks severed his spinal cord in such a way as to leave him permanently paralyzed and unable to use his quirk

Couldn’t Twice use his quirk with broken arms, I don’t think he actually needs them to move to use it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dabi killed Twice...'s clones.

He also did a rather poor job at the whole "rescuing his teammate from the hero spy" thing. A for effort though I guess.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Couldn't Twice use his quirk with broken arms, I don't think he actually needs them to move to use it.

It does bring up the question of how do you actually arrest and keep a guy like Twice locked up without going to inhumane levels.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rhonne posted:

It does bring up the question of how do you actually arrest and keep a guy like Twice locked up without going to inhumane levels.

Doesn't the setting have some Quirk-dampening devices? I could've sworn there was one on AfO when he got arrested.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

Doesn't the setting have some Quirk-dampening devices? I could've sworn there was one on AfO when he got arrested.

You mean strap him in a full binding suit and threaten to shoot him in the head the moment he activates his quirk?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Rhonne posted:

Dabi killed Twice...'s clones.

He also did a rather poor job at the whole "rescuing his teammate from the hero spy" thing. A for effort though I guess.

You don't. If supervillains were real they'd be hell on prison reform. How do you make real progress with using prison as a method of rehabilitation rather than punishment when the only way to keep someone in is by immobilizing them completely? That's not conducive to healthy development.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

EDIT: Nevermind looking at Adder's post in this thread they seem to only post about how much they hate Dabi so it wasn't the spoilers breaking brains.
So you're illiterate then? Check.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

You mean strap him in a full binding suit and threaten to shoot him in the head the moment he activates his quirk?

I was thinking right after the fight with All Might and AfO got captured. I thought AfO was still conscious then and part of the restraining device on him prevented his Quirk from activating.

There was also that time when the police arrested Mustard and Muscular after the training camp raid, and I thought the handcuffs on them were also Quirk-dampening devices, or else they would've tried escaping already.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I've said Batman should just take the brains out of his rogues gallery and put them in jars for years now. It'd solve so many problems.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm only a casual MHA fan but I saw this doujin someone started and posted on mangadex and it seems kinda interesting so far.

https://mangadex.org/title/46430/boku-no-hero-academia-h-2-zero-doujinshi

Maybe it'll be terrible, who knows!!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RareAcumen posted:

I've said Batman should just take the brains out of his rogues gallery and put them in jars for years now. It'd solve so many problems.

Joker's brain would probably immediately escape in some amusing way.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Joker's brain would probably immediately escape in some amusing way.

didn't that happen in one of that batman games where he's inside batmans head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
And that game, is Psychonauts