Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wonderllama posted:

:laffo: you’re just of course a trump apologist.

gently caress you too for implying that. Everyone here that posts on a regular basis (not you) knows I'm not a loving Trump apologist.

I'm more worried about poo poo getting done and if GM was stalling the process negotiating tooling costs then gently caress them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Donald Trump has finally encountered a force as stupid, cheap, and inept as himself: GM

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wheeee posted:

Donald Trump has finally encountered a force as stupid, cheap, and inept as himself: GM

Was it Michael Dell who said about the Compaq-HP merger "it's like two garbage trucks colliding"?

Words for the ages.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So GM's words are gospel then? Ok.

Sounds like a he said/she said issue then, but why would he force GM to do it and not other companies

You should make an appointment on that Google site that he didn't completely make up on the fly and then drive to a Target to get tested for Corona. But yeah, GM is the issue here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Don't worry, hospitals don't need that many ventilators anyway. They only have two usually, why do they need 30,000 - the President of the United States

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

You should make an appointment on that Google site that he didn't completely make up on the fly and then drive to a Target to get tested for Corona. But yeah, GM is the issue here.

It has been reported that GM wanted the government to cover the retooling costs, so to me that is an issue. Just loving do it and worry about who pays for what later.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

It has been reported that GM wanted the government to foot the retooling costs, so to me that is an issue. Just loving do it and worry about who pays for what later.

Your mistake is assuming that trump can do anything besides trump. The benefit of the doubt is unable to be his. That's why you are being called out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It has been reported that GM wanted the government to cover the retooling costs, so to me that is an issue. Just loving do it and worry about who pays for what later.

More likely is that the White House was dithering and wouldn't commit to doing anything, leaving GM wondering WTF. It was only after public backlash that Trump decided he needed to look decisive so he took it out on GM. Remember, yesterday Trump was saying those ventilators weren't really needed.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

*rolling with the punches*

GM engineering + interiors suck!

*drives away in a scion xb*

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Your mistake is assuming that trump can do anything besides trump. The benefit of the doubt is unable to be his. That's why you are being called out.

There's nothing to be called out for, I already said I'm not a Trump apologist.

What I assumed was GM being a giant capitalist corporation doing capitalist poo poo.

Deteriorata posted:

More likely is that the White House was dithering and wouldn't commit to doing anything, leaving GM wondering WTF. It was only after public backlash that Trump decided he needed to look decisive so he took it out on GM. Remember, yesterday Trump was saying those ventilators weren't really needed.

Well I didn't hear that part of it until now, all I heard about today was him having to drop the Defense Production Act on GM

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

There's nothing to be called out for, I already said I'm not a Trump apologist.

What I assumed was GM being a giant capitalist corporation doing capitalist poo poo.

Well I didn't hear that part of it until now, all I heard about today was him having to drop the Defense Production Act on GM

Trump seeks to ramp up production of medical equipment after harsh criticism of his slow response

quote:

Following days of sustained criticism for his administration’s slow efforts to distribute ventilators, personal protective equipment and other materials, Trump used his power under the Defense Production Act to compel a ramp-up in production.

Trump issued an order to allow his government to force General Motors to manufacture ventilators, after a breakdown in negotiations with the auto giant caused in part by what aides said was White House indecision, and announced that eight existing ventilator manufacturers, including General Electric and Phillips, had agreed to speed up their production. The president vowed that the efforts would produce a combined 100,000 ventilators over the next 100 days.

Trump’s action — which came on the day the United States recorded more than 100,000 cases of the novel coronavirus, surpassing every other nation— represented an about-face after the president on Thursday largely dismissed the outcry for ventilators.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

being a giant capitalist corporation doing capitalist poo poo.

:hmmyes: trump

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good point :v:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

A bunch of rumors about future Toyota and Lexus vehicles leaked from a dealer presentation.
  • New Toyobaru in MY2021, with the Subaru 2.4T.
  • Tundra redesign for MY2022, kicking off the redesign of the Toyota body-on-frame vehicles. The Tundra will feature electrification, likely with a variant of the V6 hybrid setup seen in the Lexus LS.
  • 4Runner and Sequoia redesigns to follow in MY2023.
  • Tacoma will be the last to be redesigned, launching in MY2024.
  • The Land Cruiser will be going back to basics as an off-roader instead of being an LX with a Toyota badge.
  • New Sienna to launch for MY2021, exclusively offered with the hybrid powerplant from the new Highlander.
  • The Venza is coming back to compete in the ~190" 2-row midsize SUV segment, also available only as a hybrid.
  • Another goddamned B-segment crossover in MY2021.
  • Camry refresh for MY2021 and new model for MY2024; Avalon refresh for MY2022.
On the Lexus side:
  • Next-gen IS for MY2021.
  • RX, NX, and GX redesigns in MY2023.
  • While the V8 is already pretty exclusive in the Lexus lineup today, it will be even more exclusive in the future, being gated to vehicles $90K+, e.g. a new LC-F with a twin-turbo V8.
  • The LX will try harder to compete with the other $100K luxury SUVs. The Bentley Bentayga is the rumored benchmark for the new LX.
  • LS and ES refresh in MY2022.
  • A Lexus hydrogen-powered car for the 3 people in California that want it, based off the new RWD Mirai.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Godzilla07 posted:

A bunch of rumors about future Toyota and Lexus vehicles leaked from a dealer presentation.

• The Land Cruiser will be going back to basics as an off-roader instead of being an LX with a Toyota badge.

rip Ford Bronco

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

KakerMix posted:

rip Ford Bronco

I’ll believe it when I see it. The current 4Runner is pretty crappy and ancient relative to the dollars they want for it. Even my stupid Land Cruiser has some really cheap stuff inside and it’s a ‘13. Way more likely the LC gets rona’d

Also Toyota isn’t cool enough to go balls out and do a removable roof

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tremek posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it. The current 4Runner is pretty crappy and ancient relative to the dollars they want for it. Even my stupid Land Cruiser has some really cheap stuff inside and it’s a ‘13. Way more likely the LC gets rona’d

Also Toyota isn’t cool enough to go balls out and do a removable roof

I adore 70 series so I always hope Toyota will slide the Land Cruiser more toward that, Lexus for the luxury and why not go for the #vanlife crowd with the Land Cruiser? Those guys spend goofy money on 70s.

You're right, it is probably wishful thinking. Though I suppose Lexus' market share might shrink dramatically in the next few months.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

So GM's words are gospel then? Ok.

Sounds like a he said/she said issue then, but why would he force GM to do it and not other companies

It’s pretty transparently because the ceo of gm is a woman. Go read his tweet. Hope this helps grandpa.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Sadly I think it’s really likely we will see a lot of models never get redesigned and either just stop production entirely now or peter out until they’re discontinued and never come back.

The actual automotive golden age was the 2010s

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Suzuki NZ is doing Jimny flatdeck conversions, which are awesome:

But not awesome is the price, NZ$37990, $12K more than an entry level Jimny with more equipment. That’s almost single cab Colorado or twin cab Navara pricing. On the other hand, this thing will billy goat up some high country farm trails you wouldn’t take those bigger trucks up.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 28, 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

I adore 70 series so I always hope Toyota will slide the Land Cruiser more toward that, Lexus for the luxury and why not go for the #vanlife crowd with the Land Cruiser? Those guys spend goofy money on 70s.

It won't be like a 70, those are all but unusable on the road and big diesel engines are a dead end.

I'd imagine it'll be more of a Prado/Lexus GX replacement.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dissss posted:

It won't be like a 70, those are all but unusable on the road and big diesel engines are a dead end.

I'd imagine it'll be more of a Prado/Lexus GX replacement.

OG Prados are 70s :colbert:

I think 70s are among the best vehicles ever made, but that's besides the point. Just take the current Land Cruiser, keep all the diff locking rock crawling stuff, the gasoline engine, and just gear it more toward something like the FJ Cruiser. Give it a front fascia that looks like the old 60s. Give it fabric seats, make it just as expensive.
I think you could sell it to the people that want a Land Cruiser and can afford it, while also snagging the dudes that spend 120k on a 70 Troopy from 1994.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

rip Ford Bronco

I saw an early 80 series the other day with untinted windows and cloth seats and I would love to see something adjacent to that again. Throw in a smaller displacement turbodiesel and, as my dad might say, 'my dick would be so hard a cat couldn't scratch it.'

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you like it?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you like it?

The Land Cruiser? It’s pretty good. It’s way better on Icon coilovers than it was on stock suspension, which I didn’t love. I liked it more on the BFG KO2s I had on it before than the Falken AT3Ws it’s wearing now.

Since I have owned it (almost 4 years) the poor truck has been run into twice, been hit with softball-sized hail, and survived the house fire only a little bit melty. It’s seen some poo poo.

My biggest complaints about it: half the HVAC controls are buried in the display menus, 1st to 2nd gear upshifts are way too early probably in some vain quest for fuel economy and it doesn’t pay attention to steering angle so if you pull out sedately to try to accelerate and merge into traffic it’s already upshifted into 2nd and then you have to mash the accelerator. The electronics are old and the cameras are low res and worthless. Also the steering rack ratio is way too fast and overboosted off center, and the steering wheel is half lacquered wood and half leather, and only the leather portion is heated which is dumb.

I guess the good things too: it’s been reliable, seems generally well put together, I have dropped it off of rocks onto sliders that I would have sworn would have broken something and it’s been completely unphased, the 5.7 makes pretty good power and it does alright at towing.

I think I’m turning it into my airport beater and ditching the Raptor once there’s buyers for things like expensive trucks again.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 28, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

The Land Cruiser? It’s pretty good. It’s way better on Icon coilovers than it was on stock suspension, which I didn’t love. I liked it more on the BFG KO2s I had on it before than the Falken AT3Ws it’s wearing now.

Since I have owned it (almost 4 years) the poor truck has been run into twice, been hit with softball-sized hail, and survived the house fire only a little bit melty. It’s seen some poo poo.

My biggest complaints about it: half the HVAC controls are buried in the display menus, 1st to 2nd gear upshifts are way too early probably in some vain quest for fuel economy and it doesn’t pay attention to steering angle so if you pull out sedately to try to accelerate and merge into traffic it’s already upshifted into 2nd and then you have to mash the accelerator. The electronics are old and the cameras are low res and worthless. Also the steering rack ratio is way too fast and overboosted off center, and the steering wheel is half lacquered wood and half leather, and only the leather portion is heated which is dumb.

I guess the good things too: it’s been reliable, seems generally well put together, I have dropped it off of rocks onto sliders that I would have sworn would have broken something and it’s been completely unphased, the 5.7 makes pretty good power and it does alright at towing.

I think I’m turning it into my airport beater and ditching the Raptor once there’s buyers for things like expensive trucks again.

Is the fuel economy as terrible as the EPA estimates make it out to be? Would it be a terrible highway commuter?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Residency Evil posted:

Is the fuel economy as terrible as the EPA estimates make it out to be? Would it be a terrible highway commuter?

its a Land Cruiser

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its a Land Cruiser

:sigh: I want to hear him say it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I think it averages like 12.5 mpg in our hands. It’s not great.

However consider we do a fair bit of city cycle driving, it’s lifted, and on ATs. I’d expect 15-17 highway factory. I remember seeing like a 4 mpg difference between going 65 and 75.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I really want an 80 of 100 series but I commute way too much to abide that efficiency.

Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and import a Prado when this 4th gen 4Runner kicks it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

I think it averages like 12.5 mpg in our hands. It’s not great.

However consider we do a fair bit of city cycle driving, it’s lifted, and on ATs. I’d expect 15-17 highway factory. I remember seeing like a 4 mpg difference between going 65 and 75.

hahaha ok thanks

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LeeMajors posted:

I really want an 80 of 100 series but I commute way too much to abide that efficiency.

Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and import a Prado when this 4th gen 4Runner kicks it.

To compare directly to Tremek's Cruiser, with these KZ Prados we get around 18 mpg mostly city driving. The earlier L Prados get the same economy but they are much lower down on power. Having had both I wouldn't even bother with an L unless it was in fantastic condition and, of course, manual :getin: Because the 90s I'd assume an automatic would get worse economy, but I couldn't say as I've never done an auto.
A Prado is much lighter on its feet and athletic than the 80 series we had at least, I imagine that holds true comparing it to any newer comfort cruiser. Upright seating, fantastic visibility, etc etc. KZs have a whopping 130~ hp but a respectable 210~ torques.
We've been daily driving Prados as our main car for three years now and they are fantastic.

However you can get a lot of USDM Cruiser for what a good Prado costs...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

However you can get a lot of USDM Cruiser for what a good Prado costs...

The five speed tho

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Sacrifices must be made, and that sacrifice is dollar bills in order to waggle a stick.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

KakerMix posted:

Sacrifices must be made, and that sacrifice is dollar bills in order to waggle a stick.

Oh that's so fuckin good

edit I love the design of the oil/water/batt/fuel gauges. That looks really good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Detroit auto show, originally rescheduled for June is now cancelled. The convention center is being converted into a field hospital.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, apparently GM is now doing a "great job."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.motor1.com/news/406765/2020-genesis-g80-horsepower-details/

More details on the new G80. I like it, even though I'm not sure how I feel about that steering wheel. I do wish there was a crazy N performance version, but 375HP on the top end mill isn't bad.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

https://www.motor1.com/news/406765/2020-genesis-g80-horsepower-details/

More details on the new G80. I like it, even though I'm not sure how I feel about that steering wheel. I do wish there was a crazy N performance version, but 375HP on the top end mill isn't bad.

Where the G90 looked okay the G80 looks strange in those pictures somehow. Maybe it’s the color and over aggressive image enhancement? Shame about the V8. Bring on the N80.

Or really the GV70 and GV90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Love eveything about it except that it won't fit in my parking space.