Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Katt posted:

Out of all the bullshit diseases my cat could get it would of course have to be malignant face eating cancer.
[horrifying picture]

Oh my goodness! :ohdear: Click to the last post on the last page only if you're brave, guys....

I truly hope you get your kitty to a vet soon and they can help.. That is a terrifying picture, and I'm so sorry that your kitty got something so dramatic and frightening. Best of all luck to you and your cat, man.

As for me, I am sheltering in place here in Los Angeles with a good friend of mine (who also happens to be a goon) and frankly, it's not so tough for us. For one thing, we've both been goons since the mid-00s, and we've known one another longer even than that. And during those 20 years we never truly had a falling out, though we had some periods of not communicating much. However, there is a *third* individual living with us - my cat Jackie. Thing of it is, Jackie has such a strong personality that she really feels like a third roommate.

I gotta say that Jackie is really happy staying here. To my delight (and as I predicted) my friend really hit it off with Jackie and immediately fell totally in love with her - big polydactyl paws, fat tummy, broken meowing, and all. It was very nice to see. And to my amazement, Jackie actually likes them quite a bit immediately, and that was a shock to me because Jackie rarely likes ANYONE other than me. And I'm not saying that to sound conceited or anything - she will be friendly to just about anyone, but this friend of mine was the first person I'd ever seen Jackie actively seek out and try to cuddle with on her own - she also allows herself to be picked up and handled/cradled in her arms by my roommate, and she barely even lets ME do that, heh.

I just have to say how deeply happy I am to have such a wonderful cat, especially during all this craziness going on outside. I feel like I'm living the cat life with Jackie a bit, to be honest. Nothing but sleeping, eating, grooming,. and playing :xd: I could kinda get used to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

kaworu posted:

Oh my goodness! :ohdear: Click to the last post on the last page only if you're brave, guys....

I truly hope you get your kitty to a vet soon and they can help.. That is a terrifying picture, and I'm so sorry that your kitty got something so dramatic and frightening. Best of all luck to you and your cat, man.

The vet gave the diagnosis. They volunteered put her down whenever I was ready.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm so sorry. :smith:

Norris received a clean bill of health today, but a tumor was found on the inside of his leg that looks kind of...similar to that? I'm going to get it removed and analyzed as soon as possible, because while he's got no obvious evidence of metastatic growths, I don't want to risk a similar result.

I'm really really sorry for your kitty and for you.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Luna has been pissing on the bathmat directly in front of her litter box. She did it once before when she was mad at us, but it's been happening every 2 or 3 days this week. All I can think of besides a UTI is that she's mad at it not being clean enough OR she doesn't want Aleta in there all of a sudden.

I cannot put her in a carrier and the vet won't be easy to get ahold of, but we rent and I cannot have her peeing all over. Thoughts???

E: we scoop every day and fully replace every three days. No changes in brand.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 29, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bean was peeing on the floor, the diagnosis was she had an old inflamed bladder. They gave us some anti inflammatory medicine and we switched to a urinary tract blend. Just the Purina One brand but it did the trick and she doesn't have accidents anymore

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Len posted:

Bean was peeing on the floor, the diagnosis was she had an old inflamed bladder. They gave us some anti inflammatory medicine and we switched to a urinary tract blend. Just the Purina One brand but it did the trick and she doesn't have accidents anymore

I'm honestly hoping she's just mad at us. But this is really starting to freak me out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't know if their walnut brains process things that way

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Len posted:

I don't know if their walnut brains process things that way

Well, there are two incidences of her peeing on the bathmat because we switched the corncob litter and she didn't like it. When we switched back, she stopped. Aleta has finally reached size parity with her and has become very bossy, so I'm wondering if that could be the reason. We've tried numerous times to demonstrate very clearly that Aleta being mean to Luna results in Aleta getting a ride to "cat jail" and we can usually cajole Luna out of wherever she hides from the baby, but Luna has a lot of problems and I don't know if she's getting the message.

There's no logical way for us to prevent Aleta from using Luna's litterbox, or I'd just try to keep them separate and see if that helped.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My resident idiot got cat litter in his eye.am I right in thinking his eye works the same as ours and will probably expel it in due course? If I need to hold him down for my wife to do it I'm wearing an oven mitt: last time I had to hold him down because he had a turd stuck to his butt he tore a chunk out of my hand.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I got a new kitten recently who is now about 3 1/2 months old. He got all his shots and stuff fine but the vet says he has a heart murmur and it’s a risk to get him neutered??? They keep suggesting I do a blood test for ~$300 or a ultrasound or whatever for another $7-800. I don’t really have the money for that on top of the $300 they want to neuter. I love him so much and I just don’t know what to do. My other cats have gotten neutered at one of those quick chop shops for cheap. Maybe just pay for the vet to neuter because they will be aware and I guess more careful? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also his teeth are so, so orange and he snores and breathes so heavy but thats another thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I can't help with the ultrasound but check your area for neutering programs. It want from a couple hundred to $75 to get Fuzzbutt neutered and caught up on his shots

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

GOD DAMMIT, just caught her squatting on the bathmat again. Fresh box, fresh litter, Aleta's been in it once since it was changed. This is insane.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How many litter boxes do you have?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

GOD DAMMIT, just caught her squatting on the bathmat again. Fresh box, fresh litter, Aleta's been in it once since it was changed. This is insane.

Silly question, your bathmat doesn't look anything like litter, does it? Because my parents' cat once peed on a new rug, in his teens (having never peed anywhere wrong before) but way before he got old or ill, and the only thing I could think of is that the rug actually looked a lot like the surface of a litter box.

Of course, given that the smell and texture would have been wrong, who knows, maybe my cat just had a moment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

We've had a number of cats that pee on bathmats. It's soft, absorbent, and has the feel of dirt or grass so it seems like a good place to pee.

The only solution is to keep the bathmat off the floor. Throw it over the shower bar/door when you aren't showering.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

We have a cat that wouldn't stop peeing (and sometimes making GBS threads) on rugs. Ended up ruining every rug in our house, and now we go rugless except for a bathroom rug and a machine washable one in the living room. And of course now she's mostly stopped doing it, for no discernible reason...!

So yeah, sadly, in some cases if your cat is peeing on rugs, the only solution is to lose the rugs.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I've had to throw away so many bathmats over the years, there's something about it that makes it super attractive to cats.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Since we're not going anywhere for a while given the pandemic, we moved up our plans to adopt a new kitty, Holly.

She is 11 so a senior kitty, seems pretty confident, wandering around the apartment like she owns it. She's quite social so introduced her to our other kitty fairly quickly, they both seem pretty chill only minor hissing and mostly ignoring each other.

She loves head rubs and likes to be around us, purrs a lot and enjoys watching birds. The only worry we have is her eating. Apparently she didn't eat for a while at the shelter and lost a fair bit of weight, we have the food she did eventually start eating there. She hasn't eaten a lot over the past couple of days, although has eaten a bit, is drinking and using the litter trays. We tried giving her some other high quality fishy food which she seemed to like but then threw up a bit and had some diarrhea today so we're going back to the original stuff. Makes sense she might be a bit off her food if that was disagreeing with her though.

We're going to try and get her in for a vet check up next week but not sure if that'll work given many places are shut except for emergency visits. At what point should we worry/it would turn into an 'emergency'?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I wouldn't be too worried as long she keeps eating/drinking and using the litter box. If she stops doing that then it's time to be concerned, but this seems pretty normal to me.

You gave her some unusual rich food and she had a case of the shits. It happens. I'd just go back to her old food and see how she does. It's not unusual for a cat to be a bit off their feed after moving to a new place, especially if that new place had an unfamiliar cat. I'd let her get nice and settled before trying to change up her diet.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
She looks awesome for 11, you have some time to observe her before getting too worried.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If you want to tempt her then maybe some plain chicken? But if she's eating at all she'll probably be fine, she's just still settling in.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Len posted:

How many litter boxes do you have?

Only two, unfortunately. There is no place we could reasonably put a third box at the moment. If I rearrange the entire laundry room (which is basically a closet with enough room for one person to stand) then I can fit another box in there, but then I sacrifice my office, and I work at home even when I'm not federally mandated to do so. It's still what will 99%-probably happen.

Bobstar posted:

Silly question, your bathmat doesn't look anything like litter, does it? Because my parents' cat once peed on a new rug, in his teens (having never peed anywhere wrong before) but way before he got old or ill, and the only thing I could think of is that the rug actually looked a lot like the surface of a litter box.

Of course, given that the smell and texture would have been wrong, who knows, maybe my cat just had a moment.

Awwww, poor little guy! No, she's peed on bathmats of multiple textures, sizes, and colors, none of which match her litter.

Deteriorata posted:

We've had a number of cats that pee on bathmats. It's soft, absorbent, and has the feel of dirt or grass so it seems like a good place to pee.

The only solution is to keep the bathmat off the floor. Throw it over the shower bar/door when you aren't showering.

I said this and my husband countered with SHE WILL PEE ON SOMETHING ELSE!!!! but I actually think you are correct.

Also, thank you to EVERYONE who responded.

No more accidents since last night. We did take away the bathmats (maybe I'm not using the right word? What we have are more like towels, not the rug kind) and Luna seems as okay as she ever is. No accidents since last night. She was VERY upset because we corralled her into her room and had her locked up for an hour, but we got her to play with the dot, and then she recalibrated.

I still don't think it's a UTI, but if it happens again, I'll hock my fridge if I have to in order to pay for the vet to come by.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My cat is being a loving weirdo and I think it has to do that I'm home so much.

Last night he was literally sprinting around the house at full speed at like 2AM for whatever reason and in the afternoon's he's sitting on the side of the couch next to my head and meowing over and over again for like 30 mins at a time and he has both food and water available to him all the time so I'm not sure what it is...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Awwww, poor little guy! No, she's peed on bathmats of multiple textures, sizes, and colors, none of which match her litter.

Good luck with your kitty :)

Excuse to post a picture of this not-so-little guy! He was huge. Half Norwegian Forest cat, but got the short-hair genes, so he was soft like a husky dog.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Last night he was literally sprinting around the house at full speed at like 2AM for whatever reason and in the afternoon's he's sitting on the side of the couch next to my head and meowing over and over again for like 30 mins at a time and he has both food and water available to him all the time so I'm not sure what it is...

Normal cat behaviour. Mine have responded to both of us being at home all day with periods of completely ignoring us while they sleep on the sofa, interspersed with coming to our work desks to yell at us, walk all over our keyboards, and beg for pats. It's quite cute seeing my husband taking a work meeting and talking very seriously about programming while stroking a purry cat though.

Yesterday morning Cinnamon had an attack of the zoomies that ended up with her falling out of one of the bedroom curtains, having climbed up the inside of the lining to the top... Luckily she and the curtain(and the bockety cheapass curtain rail) were all fine but she hasn't climbed a curtain since she was a tiny baby. Strange times.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!

She ate everything we put down for her overnight and started eating more when I refilled her bowl this morning so I think she'll be fine.

Now we just need to teach her how to use the microchip feeder we have as our other kitty is an absolute greedbox and will eat anything that's left out. I think we're so used to having a food monster who will eat anything it threw us a bit that she wasn't eating that much, she's probably more of a grazer at the best of times.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Our cat — who has never once been outside nor even expressed interest in going outside in his 11+ years of life — suddenly (within the last ~12 hours) seems to be trying to position himself to run out the door whenever it’s open, and we are terrified that he could eventually succeed.

Why might this be?

How can we prevent him from wanting to try again?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I. M. Gei posted:

Our cat — who has never once been outside nor even expressed interest in going outside in his 11+ years of life — suddenly (within the last ~12 hours) seems to be trying to position himself to run out the door whenever it’s open, and we are terrified that he could eventually succeed.

Why might this be?

No idea about why. As far as prevention...

I use an Ssscat by my front door and it has worked like a charm. You can also put the Ssscat device on a normal can of air duster, which saves a lot of money on refills. I've been on the same can for the last six months or so.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Katya has grown bored of us being at home all of the time and just flung a plant all over our carpet for the second time in as many weeks.

I finally moved the plant, but it's the worst when she wants attention and starts doing this poo poo repeatedly like a loving toddler. It works too, which really gets my goat because I'm manipulated by a walnut brain! :mad:

edit: I'm also considering ssscat so she'll be told off without us giving her what she craves, but that poo poo was like €60+ last time I checked, which is ridiculous.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Katya has grown bored of us being at home all of the time and just flung a plant all over our carpet for the second time in as many weeks.

I finally moved the plant, but it's the worst when she wants attention and starts doing this poo poo repeatedly like a loving toddler. It works too, which really gets my goat because I'm manipulated by a walnut brain! :mad:

edit: I'm also considering ssscat so she'll be told off without us giving her what she craves, but that poo poo was like €60+ last time I checked, which is ridiculous.

Instead of smoke breaks or walk breaks take play with your cat breaks. I've found that bothering the cats for 5-10 minutes every 60-90 minutes or so gets them to leave me alone the rest of the time in addition to getting being on the clock and getting paid to play with my cats.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Boogalo posted:

Instead of smoke breaks or walk breaks take play with your cat breaks. I've found that bothering the cats for 5-10 minutes every 60-90 minutes or so gets them to leave me alone the rest of the time in addition to getting being on the clock and getting paid to play with my cats.

Oh, we're playing with her a lot more now, but paired with daylight savings time she seems upset anyway. 90% of the time she does this it's within an hour from her scheduled meal-time, she just wants more food.
She just tried to attack the swapped plant and it's a prickly palm-type so now she's beeping angrily. Haha, beat you!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Aleta has become so goddamn spoiled from having us home all the time. She keeps wanting to be carried from room to room like a tiny queen.

I don't mind a bit!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I'm having continued litter problems. Buddy keeps making GBS threads on the bathroom floor right next to the litter box and the toilet. She also pees in the sink and bathtub rarely, but the peeing is rare and easier to clean up. It's more I'm picking poop up off the floor 2-3 times a day.

I changed the litter, the litter box itself, the cardboard litter catcher, and fully cleaned the bathroom itself. Buddy keeps making GBS threads on the floor in there. Nowhere else, just plop right in front of the toilet.

Do I need to just camp out in the bathroom for a week and wait for her to squat and put her in the litterbox to train her again?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Why might this be?

The same cat has been spending almost the entire day today sleeping in a little covered box-shaped cat bed. I saw him eat about 9 or 10 hours ago, but I’ve only seen him in that bed since then.

This cat is normally a vocal little livewire, so this seems unusual.

Normally I might not be worried about this unless it went on for several days, except that I’ve been working on an outdoor gardening project for the past few weeks and tracking Christ-knows-what into the house. A lot of dirt and mud, almost definitely some garden chemicals, and probably traces of the shits I stepped in left by the feral cats I posted about earlier. And the floors haven’t been cleaned or disinfected at all yet.

Should I be worried? Is my cat sick? :ohdear:

EDIT: Well he just laid down in my lap, so that’s something I guess.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 31, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cats sleep a lot, so that's probably normal. But they also are very good at hiding pain. If you notice a big change in your cat's routine, a vet visit might be in order. We're not gonna be able to tell you if it's sick.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

No bathmat down, no pee. Hmmm...does Luna just need a hobby?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No bathmat down, no pee. Hmmm...does Luna just need a hobby?

It sounds like Luna has a hobby already.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sarern posted:

It sounds like Luna has a hobby already.

Staring with one eye fully eye dilated and the other not while drooling? Yeah, same tbh.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Cats sleep a lot, so that's probably normal. But they also are very good at hiding pain. If you notice a big change in your cat's routine, a vet visit might be in order. We're not gonna be able to tell you if it's sick.

He seems to be fine now. I’ll continue keeping an eye on him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Also quoting this from a couple of pages back cuz I need to buy something immediately.

Bootcha posted:

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi Cat Thread!

I need cat repellant for a garden and I need it RIGHT GODDAMN NOW!!

What are some good cat repellants? Not sure if it matters, but the cats in question are feral......... long story.

Start with strong lemon-y scents. Citronella misquito plants for the stuff you want to protect, lemongrass to lure them away from those plants.

Someone in DIY suggested lemon essential oil might be a good thing to try, since I don’t have anymore space to put new plants. So now I need to ask a few questions to figure out how much oil to buy.

1. How much oil do I need to apply to an area about 450 sq ft in size? I kinda doubt any of y’all would have any experience with this, but a rough estimate would help me out immensely.
2. How often might I need to apply it?
3. How DO I apply it? I’m assuming I need to spray it (I already have a backpack sprayer I can use), and that I have to mix it with something to make it sprayable. What should I mix it with so I can spray it?

Or is there something better for the job than lemon essential oil out there that I should use instead (that won’t acidify my soil)?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 1, 2020