Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

BANNED USER posted:

It hasn't always been that way, I bought and hoarded 26 $15-$20 Mustang Omega keys for a couple years to resell at $80 ea. I used the money to pay student loans, had zero interest in wasting real money on a ship that you cannot operate solo, which a lot of space whales are now finally realizing.

People paid $80 for the AMD Mustang Omega? :lol: What rubes. Did you give copies of the AMD Letter with the ships too?

https://i.imgur.com/KIXzEhM.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kosumo posted:

Yes, but would you not rather watch Chris Roberts play it?

I would love to watch CRobber try to play a computer game. Doesn't matter which one. Hunt the Wumpus, Q*Bert, or Dark Souls — the outcome would be the same regardless and would be hilarious.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/jolPmJb.mp4

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen III: The Search for Chris

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

Quavers posted:

People paid $80 for the AMD Mustang Omega? :lol: What rubes. Did you give copies of the AMD Letter with the ships too?

Nah I "gifted" the package from individual accounts after receiving payment which all got banned for tos violations lmao

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Strangler 42 posted:

Did anyone else watch Tiger King on Netflix? Then you might know why it's a bad idea to take on outside investors when you're facing financial hardships. In this scenario Chris is Joe Exotic and Calder is Jeff Lowe, where Calder will wind up with all of Chris's work after booting him from the company but the company is a money sink and a terrible investment. Maybe the he who shall not be named is Carole Baskin.

Tiger King : Joe Exotic :: Bear Jester : Chris Roberts

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

Lord Stimperor posted:

Look at this capitalist who is profiteering from an objective disaster

I put the scam in scam citizen

My goddamn automerge! :argh:

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

I repeat: corporate decision making is far stupider than you can possibly conceive. They aren't going to pull out yet, they are making good money off of the sales that Chris tells his fans are still the main source of income for the project, and none of them, fans or investors are tech savvy enough to grasp that the game itself will never come out. They think they'll keep making a steady stream now and a big chunk when it releases.

I one got to listen to the board of a multi billion dollar company deliberate on making a deal just shy of a billion dollars. I was on a panel of experts that provided advice as part of the company's due diligence, they just forgot to drop us from the call after we gave our advice.

I was expecting some heated debate, some in depth analysis, some conversation about risks strategy alignment. Not all of the due diligence came up roses. Honestly i have herd more in depth discussion from drunk teens on weather its a good time to start game of beer pong.

We doing it ?
Yeaaaa we are doing it !
Its billion dollars !
No we can say we have done a billion dollar deal !
Yea lets wrap this deal up !
Alright! we should go out and celebrate !

Calder's is different because that seams like good money after bad

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

BANNED USER posted:

Nah I "gifted" the package from individual accounts after receiving payment which all got banned for tos violations lmao

:laffo: :gary:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

This is even dumber than the "Features fully-voiced movies!" blurb on the back of the Metroid Other M box and that game's cutscene-only theater mode full of Sakamoto's bad writing. :doh:

Please, don't call that bad writing. It's loving terrible writing.

THE BABY!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dr. Honked posted:

I don't know, but I do know that you can fit all of Link from Zelda in just one of your EYEBALLS

:monocle:

The texture resolution of a players tongue is greater than all the textures in most lesser games combined.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DigitalPenny posted:

I one got to listen to the board of a multi billion dollar company deliberate on making a deal just shy of a billion dollars. I was on a panel of experts that provided advice as part of the company's due diligence, they just forgot to drop us from the call after we gave our advice.

I was expecting some heated debate, some in depth analysis, some conversation about risks strategy alignment. Not all of the due diligence came up roses. Honestly i have herd more in depth discussion from drunk teens on weather its a good time to start game of beer pong.

We doing it ?
Yeaaaa we are doing it !
Its billion dollars !
No we can say we have done a billion dollar deal !
Yea lets wrap this deal up !
Alright! we should go out and celebrate !

Calder's is different because that seams like good money after bad

I've been in similar meetings and seen the same poo poo. The longer you live, and the more you see, the more you realize there is no such thing as an adult. We're all children, just as we get older we get better at making our whims seem important. I remember reading some fashion designer interview where they asked him questions about his childhood and he said something along the lines of "I didn't play with toys, I was interested in grown-up things" which I suspect was an attempt to make himself seem mature at a young age, despite this being a 60+ year old man using the word "grown-up" unironically. And on top of that, the motherfucker is a fashion designer - he plays dress-up for a living. He's not curing cancer or planting crops in impoverished nations.

This is the box the backers sit most comfortably in, and why they want this to be a "serious sim" and not an arcade style game. We're grown-ups damnit! Look at all our disposable income!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Star Citizen III: The Search for Chris

:trustme: Just leave me in this Star Citizen chamber! There's... too much money... going to... die of money... I will take one for... the team...

backers: We will admire your sacrifice! It meant everything to us!

:trustme: Even if... I couldn't finish it... I... tried....

Backers: you'll never be forgotten in our hearts! We love you!

:trustme: Star citizen is always with you.

*drives off in Porsche*

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

This is my favorite card, and one of the best things ever.

Question: Does Chris really code things on SC? I mean, supposedly he had his own branch where he revamped physics in some important way. Is this:

(1) A total scam
(2) He did something, and then the developers struggled to integrate its idiocy, praising it all the while
(3) A thing that actually did something useful, but not a big deal
(4) An actual manifestation of coding genius

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Grubby Hobo posted:

Question: Does Chris really code things on SC? I mean, supposedly he had his own branch where he revamped physics in some important way. Is this:

(1) A total scam
(2) He did something, and then the developers struggled to integrate its idiocy, praising it all the while

He doesn't code poo poo. He wasn't even able to meaningfully contribute working code to the original Wing Commander game. Chris Roberts is basically the Uri Geller of game developers. Everyone who matters knows what his deal is, but there are enough idiots out there to keep his candle burning long past its time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Grubby Hobo posted:

(1) A total scam

probably 1, 2 at best

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:argh:: Chris Roberts is a successful Hollywood producer who made several titles and walked away from the scene with bulging pockets from titles like Lord of War and Lucky Number Slevin. So, you know, comparing CR to a film producer is not going to help whatever argument you're trying to make here.

But of course, you're wrong anyway, CR isn't the sole owner of CIG, he's partnered with another successful film producer, Ortwin Freyermuth (also a practicing Hollywood lawyer). So he's not unchallenged here, at least ostensibly.

:argh:: I love the mansion meme though, pretending Roberts didn't make 10s of millions from his Wing Commander and Privateer franchises, and the films he released as a Hollywood producer.

These guys dodge facts like Neo dodges bullets in the Matrix. They just hold their hands up and the facts don't go anywhere near them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

He doesn't code poo poo. He wasn't even able to meaningfully contribute working code to the original Wing Commander game.
I don't think he codes poo poo but in which plane of reality does contributing working code have to do with star citizen

Like if you're presenting that as evidence my counterpoint is "8 years of farcical garbage development"

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
If I do a cold start in DCS, do I have to adjust my own mixture before running the snake?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Grubby Hobo posted:

Question: Does Chris really code things on SC?

Chris is the code of Star Citizen.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Crobblers is a master programmer. He's been refactoring ships and physics 24/7 since 2014.

Sorry that's a programmer's joke. And also, :lol: at the very thought of Crobblz even testing physics with a gamepad he barely knows how to hold properly -- which should be filmed anyway, wtf where are the bloopers in this lovely open development documentary.

The Titanic posted:

How many Skyrim's is this???
It's many multiplied by like a lot and raised to the power of dreams.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lmao lucky number slevin only made like 26 million over its budget at the box office. Lord of war only made 30. The two most well-known film projects that CR was tangentially related with were mild successes at best.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 30, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grubby Hobo posted:

(1) A total scam

I think CR is egotistical enough to actually think only he can fix the physics and really is coding away instead of running the company. Running the company is pretty boring anyway. If we assume Calders have told him to let someone else do hthe actual management then it would also make sense that he has retreated into coding.

So, he is coding perhaps, but what is the result?

Looks at PTU

Yup, number 2.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

Lmao lucky number slevin only made like 26 million over its budget at the box office. Lord of war only made 30. The two most well-known film projects that CR was tangentially related with were mild successes at best.

He was not the only producer of Lord of War as i recall, there were several, so its not like he was walking away with 30 million.

However, Hollywood accounting being what it is, no idea what he would have skimmed off the project overall.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What did he do as a producer? Told them where to buy a used car?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait, wasn't there a detailed chart out there that showed his contributions added up to like negative 77million over the span of his Hollywood career after (re)factoring budgets vs gross vs advertising?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Agony Aunt posted:

I think CR is egotistical enough to actually think only he can fix the physics and really is coding away instead of running the company. Running the company is pretty boring anyway. If we assume Calders have told him to let someone else do hthe actual management then it would also make sense that he has retreated into coding.

Looks at PTU

Yup, number 2.

The Christmas "Chris Roberts Plays Star Citizen" extravaganza was all the evidence anyone ever really needs. The motherfucker looks like someone who has never seen a computer before in his life. In fact, the whole video looked like someone spilled a pile of tinkertoys in front of a drugged chimp.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

SelenicMartian posted:

What did he do as a producer? Told them where to buy a used car?

I think someone pointed out that the AK model in the background of the Lord of War DVD menu was taken from a Counterstrike mod in one of this thread's earlier incarnations.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

The Titanic posted:

I too am looking forward to every time a player dies their wreck just stays there basically for weeks and doesn't despawn after it's flashy explosion and little particle bits fly around.

This is very technically feasible and would definitely not result in a literal debris field for players to have to navigate in short order and would also definitely not be a strain on the server thanks to server meshing technology.

It would actually be cool to have debris field after huge battles, I loved that about Total Annihilation :)

Of course in CI~G terms this would be mean 1v1 when one ship explodes, other then clips into its wreck and is teleported into the sun, while every player on the server gets deskeletonized

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Wait, wasn't there a detailed chart out there that showed his contributions added up to like negative 77million over the span of his Hollywood career after (re)factoring budgets vs gross vs advertising?

I think I did something along those lines long time ago in one of the older threads but the original spreadsheet is now lost, like tears in rain.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grubby Hobo posted:

(1) A total scam

He changed two constants in the physics.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Scruffpuff posted:

The Christmas "Chris Roberts Plays Star Citizen" extravaganza was all the evidence anyone ever really needs. The motherfucker looks like someone who has never seen a computer before in his life. In fact, the whole video looked like someone spilled a pile of tinkertoys in front of a drugged chimp.

Best description of that video ever. Warn me next time.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

is rexilla the streamer guy still playing this hot video game that is a piece of poo poo? Wonder how he's doin

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Solarin posted:

is rexilla the streamer guy still playing this hot video game that is a piece of poo poo? Wonder how he's doin

Last totally organic Twitch SC video was 6 months ago, he's on Facebook now and totally organically playing COD Warzone.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Looks at PTU

Yup, number 2.

Crobear busy coding away in the premium office the Calders moved him to:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlord is now out on Steam Early Access :v:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

Probably. Certainly after the Kevin Costner lawsuit. Bootcha would be the one to ask. I haven't actually dug into any of that stuff because doing so would immediately destroy my brain, but what I do know is that if someone is telling me Chris Roberts made a hojillion dollars in the film industry and their evidence is "he has a producer credit on two movies that did okay" then they're dumb as poo poo. CR was one of 20 producers on Lord of War lmao

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like how CIG makes "Hollywood accounting" look legit.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Unpopular Opinion: Realistic-looking futuristic helmets > Fortnite-looking high fantasy helmets

quote:

Star Clown alpha 3.9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Every Month Since November Has Been The Best Funding For That Month In The History Of The Project