Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ouch.

Even Wish getting in on the action.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Marmaduke! posted:

How does she compare with Rachel Riley

They are both trash OP.

I wouldn't call Reeves Blue Labour, she's New Labour. The sort of MP Corbyn failed miserably to make it easy to deselect.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What's the Ethically Correct way to buy books at the moment? I don't really want to support a system that forces warehouse workers, delivery drivers etc to put themselves in danger by carrying on working, but I kinda need to pick some things up for my own work (and also I'm going to be bored as gently caress in my spare time.

Look up my local independent bookstore and see if they're doing postal deliveries? Again, I'm torn between wanting to support them and forcing them to work unnecessarily. Stick to e-books for a while?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So would the damage caused to mucous membranes by cocaine use make someone more vulnerable to COVID infection? Asking for a bunch of friends in isolation in SW1A.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Answers Me posted:

What's the Ethically Correct way to buy books at the moment? I don't really want to support a system that forces warehouse workers, delivery drivers etc to put themselves in danger by carrying on working, but I kinda need to pick some things up for my own work (and also I'm going to be bored as gently caress in my spare time.

Look up my local independent bookstore and see if they're doing postal deliveries? Again, I'm torn between wanting to support them and forcing them to work unnecessarily. Stick to e-books for a while?

I'm not sure there really is one at the moment. Could you manage with ebooks for the time being?
But yeah as you say maybe contact your local independent bookstore, but all ours are closed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So would the damage caused to mucous membranes by cocaine use make someone more vulnerable to COVID infection? Asking for a bunch of friends in isolation in SW1A.
It'd probably make it harder for the virus to enter if all the nice spongy porous membranes are replaced with scar tissue.

Freebase use, like anything that fucks with the cilia in your lungs, vastly increases your likelihood of being hosed once you've got it though, and sharing pipes, banknotes, or anything else increases the risk of transmission.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/AudreyAurus1/status/1244526743207231488?s=20

Found the Gauke tweet:

https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1243836946574696448?s=20

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So apparently if you're put on furlough and take another job, you can still get the furlough money aswell? My wife works for a Sushi Daily franchisee who have closed up temporarily - because head office hasn't said all counters are forced to close, they're not sure if she can get the furlough money, but if she is eligible they'll make sure she gets it.

There's a fruit farm nearby looking for seasonal workers to pick strawberries, and she wants to apply.

From reading this article:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/can-you-take-another-job-21759841

as long as her boss is cool with it, there would be nothing preventing her from getting her 80% furlough pay and also working at the farm?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Rachel Reeves' Wikipedia page posted:

The Independent named Reeves as a member of a group of new Labour MPs known as the "Nando's Five":[33] the others being Luciana Berger, Jonathan Reynolds, Emma Reynolds and Chuka Umunna.
:chloe:

also, the source for that is this classic article

'Don't compare me to Obama': Is Chuka Umunna Britain's first black PM?

He's a hero in his Streatham constituency and (to his horror) has already been dubbed 'Britain's Obama'. Can Chuka Umunna really live up to the hype? He tells Tim Walker about growing up in Brixton and why he thinks Tony Blair was '85 per cent right'

I wonder what sort of oval office would refer to himself as the British Barack Obama?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
lol

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1244554527602282496?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

It would be loving beautiful if he died from it the evil prick

E: also on labour, you don't have to vote for them even as a member as long as you don't tell anyone... At least staying in gives you some tiny power to influence the direction

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

He couldn't outrun it then?

Is Covid-19 Rover?

Rovid-19?

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 30, 2020

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

Had a Tesco delivery this morning and, shockingly, very few items were missing. Still no bloody pasta though. Where is all the pasta???

Answers Me posted:

I've not tried them but supposedly hive.co.uk are good as a way to support independent bookstores without leaving your house.
Edit: Oh wait just saw they're closed. Nvm.

an angry penguin fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 30, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

It'd probably make it harder for the virus to enter if all the nice spongy porous membranes are replaced with scar tissue.

Freebase use, like anything that fucks with the cilia in your lungs, vastly increases your likelihood of being hosed once you've got it though, and sharing pipes, banknotes, or anything else increases the risk of transmission.

Didn't France have to issue guidelines to counter rumours that using cocaine protected you from getting the virus?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

an angry penguin posted:

Had a Tesco delivery this morning and, shockingly, very few items were missing. Still no bloody pasta though. Where is all the pasta???

There's a lot of people who aren't used to cooking a lot of meals being faced with not picking up lunch at the office etc. On top of this, everyone knows how to cook pasta, and it's easy to store. That's the angle I'm working with anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Didn't France have to issue guidelines to counter rumours that using cocaine protected you from getting the virus?
Yes :pseudo:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

There's a lot of people who aren't used to cooking a lot of meals being faced with not picking up lunch at the office etc. On top of this, everyone knows how to cook pasta, and it's easy to store. That's the angle I'm working with anyway.

Also purely at a guess I'd say as it has a long shelf life and normally turns over slowly it normally has a fairly low production level which can't keep up with current demand, which just reinforces the feedback loop of panic buying. It's noticeable that almost all fresh items are in stock almost everywhere now, but bog roll, pasta and rice are still hard to get hold of.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
praxis in the real world: the mutual influence of theory (herd immunity) and practical action (catching the virus)

we could all learn a lesson from this. masterful

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hope Cummings shits himself to death.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

how would that work? i've volunteered and it's done through an app which sends you requests you can accept/deny (i think the NHS bit starts on the 2nd or something) no one is gonna accept supermarket shelf stacking

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

It's the go-to long-life staple carb for middle class white people (along with flour which is why that keeps disappearing, though people tend to forget to also get yeast).

Personally, I've got rice and beans for days. Also pasta, from Turkey, from my local little ethnic supermarket.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Just received this from my brother who's a doctor in a large hospital in Lancashire. Not good at all.

quote:

#ICNARCreport just released: Data on first 775 #Covid19uk patients admitted to critical care

Bottom line: Compared to non-Covid19 viral pneumonia, #Covid19 patients admitted to critical care are much more likely to be: Male, independent of ADLs, and without serious co-morbidities prior to admission. They're also much more likely to require mechanical ventilation and the death rate is 24.3% even for patients in age range 16 to 49.

Median age 60.2
Gender 70% male
BMI most commonly 25-30
Pre-admission independent of ADLs 90.6% [versus 73.4% in non-covid viral pneumonia]
Serious comorbidities: Immunocompromised 3% > Renal 2.3% > Respiratory 1.2% > Haematological malignancy 1% > Metastatic > Liver > Cardiac [these percentages are significantly lower than for non-covid19 viral pneumonia]
Mechanically ventilated: 78.7% [versus 43.2% in non-covid viral pneumonia]
Likely outcome in ITU: Death in 47.9% of cases [versus death in 22.2% of ITU admissions for non-covid viral pneumonia]
Mortality increases with age, but 24.3% of critical care admissions aged 16 to 49 have died in critical care, versus 9.9% of patients with non-covid viral pneumonia in that same age range.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

how would that work? i've volunteered and it's done through an app which sends you requests you can accept/deny (i think the NHS bit starts on the 2nd or something) no one is gonna accept supermarket shelf stacking

I bet quite a lot will if they think it gets them first dibs on the stuff coming off the truck.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tomberforce posted:

Just received this from my brother who's a doctor in a large hospital in Lancashire. Not good at all.

That's pretty consistent with what we know already. If you end up in critical care its a coin toss, basically (and worse odds for olds). But critical care accounts for a fairly small portion of hospital admissions. Most manage with simple oxygen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

That's pretty consistent with what we know already. If you end up in critical care its a coin toss, basically (and worse odds for olds).
70% male though. That's something that we also saw in China, but don't quite know why.

There the theories being thrown around were that men in China are much more likely to smoke or that they travel more.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I bet quite a lot will if they think it gets them first dibs on the stuff coming off the truck.

Also don't forget the power of extreme boredom as a motivator. After several weeks of being locked down in a shoebox-sized house, many people would jump at stacking shelves just to escape.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
"I want to be close to people in power", and a finger curls on the monkey's paw

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone know if the theory (/fervent hope/delusion) that coronavirus spreads much less well in warm weather is true? It smells to me like another facet of the "It's just the flu" just-so story.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EmptyVessel posted:

Pages back.
That's almost certainly one of the many, many types of Victorian field drain (PDF) though it could possibly be Roman. If you contact your county archaeologist, send them the pictures and tell them where you found it they should be able to tell you which and if anything is already recorded there (or add a dot on the regional record if there isn't).

I love this country sometimes. 'Could be 200 years old could be 2000, who knows?' :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyone know if the theory (/fervent hope/delusion) that coronavirus spreads much less well in warm weather is true? It smells to me like another facet of the "It's just the flu" just-so story.

The southern hemisphere is coming out of summer so they would be your best test case until we get ours.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

Also don't forget the power of extreme boredom as a motivator. After several weeks of being locked down in a shoebox-sized house, many people would jump at stacking shelves just to escape.

That's pretty much why I signed up for it to be honest - having any kind of distraction from just sitting at home, especially something where I'm able to help, will hopefully quiet down the anxiety squirrels in my head.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The southern hemisphere is coming out of summer so they would be your best test case until we get ours.

Indeed, and some people are pointing at the relatively low rates in Australia as support, but that's also a country that's much more spread out than Europe and east Asia.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well yeah that's the problem with comparing them directly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It definitely spreads less well on surfaces in sunlight, lasting like 3 hours on surfaces in direct sunlight as opposed to 5 days in shaded areas.

There's also some evidence that the viability of the coronavirus responsible for SARS decreases rapidly at high temperatures.

quote:

The dried virus on smooth surfaces retained its viability for over 5 days at temperatures of 22–25°C and relative humidity of 40–50%, that is, typical air-conditioned environments. However, virus viability was rapidly lost (>3 log10) at higher temperatures and higher relative humidity (e.g., 38°C, and relative humidity of >95%). The better stability of SARS coronavirus at low temperature and low humidity environment may facilitate its transmission in community in subtropical area (such as Hong Kong) during the spring and in air-conditioned environments. It may also explain why some Asian countries in tropical area (such as Malaysia, Indonesia or Thailand) with high temperature and high relative humidity environment did not have major community outbreaks of SARS.

If it's true about this one, that's good news for people in Africa, but less good for the UK.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does high humidity alone help, I wonder? Cos we can get pretty humid over here.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Guavanaut posted:

70% male though. That's something that we also saw in China, but don't quite know why.

There the theories being thrown around were that men in China are much more likely to smoke or that they travel more.

There was a paper i saw going around trans circles on twitter that oestrogen levels seem to affect how severe your symptoms are also, although I don't know how rigorously that could've been tested for at this point? I'll see if I can dig it up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Where do I get the chemicals that turn the fricken frogs gay?

Ms Adequate pls send.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tomberforce posted:

Here is the report itself:
https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/b5f59585-5870-ea11-9124-00505601089b