Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

I put a set on ideas a while back and didn't post it itt (well, I posted the build not the ideas page) if anyone feels like voting for it before it ends. Definitely the last time I'm ever bothering with the Ideas site it's just defeating seeing some of the stuff that gets way more votes than anything I've done. :sigh:

But hey maybe I can crack 400 votes lol

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/5cd6eaa8-fcae-4767-927e-8d4116d404f3

FWIW, I really dig this and it’s head and shoulders above most Ideas submissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
You got my vote! 12/10 update to one of my favorite lego themes. Would buy instructions and bricklink the hell out of that if lego didn’t have the stupidest non compete clause for submitting ideas. Bullshit they essentially own it even if they don’t choose it.

Speaking of that neon yellow cockpit, is it just me or did those pieces have a very distinct, now very nostalgic, kinda chemical smell to them back in the day? Like new car smell, but for lego sets...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

OSU_Matthew posted:

You got my vote! 12/10 update to one of my favorite lego themes. Would buy instructions and bricklink the hell out of that if lego didn’t have the stupidest non compete clause for submitting ideas. Bullshit they essentially own it even if they don’t choose it.

Speaking of that neon yellow cockpit, is it just me or did those pieces have a very distinct, now very nostalgic, kinda chemical smell to them back in the day? Like new car smell, but for lego sets...

I definitely remember a smell to lego from when I was a kid that doesn't seem to exist with sets I get now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for the kind words and votes guys :)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Voter 397. Nice little set you made there.

Meanwhile, the journey of seven thousand pieces begins with a single step:

I ended up needing to construct an instruction book platform out of chairs to be able to see two pages at the same time and still have room to work.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

veni veni veni posted:

I put a set on ideas a while back and didn't post it itt (well, I posted the build not the ideas page) if anyone feels like voting for it before it ends. Definitely the last time I'm ever bothering with the Ideas site it's just defeating seeing some of the stuff that gets way more votes than anything I've done. :sigh:

But hey maybe I can crack 400 votes lol

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/5cd6eaa8-fcae-4767-927e-8d4116d404f3
This thing is awesome, +1 for sure.

And hey, looks like you cracked 400 votes. :toot:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I took advantage of 2xVip and ordered the mustang to keep me busy during the curfew. Turns out it is on backorder and will only ship on the 2nd. Looks like many people had the same idea...

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Hopper posted:

I took advantage of 2xVip and ordered the mustang to keep me busy during the curfew. Turns out it is on backorder and will only ship on the 2nd. Looks like many people had the same idea...
It's worth the wait. I didn't build mine until many months after it came out. It's such a phenomenal set, man, easily the best Creator Expert car and it's not even a contest.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Carbohydrates posted:

It's worth the wait. I didn't build mine until many months after it came out. It's such a phenomenal set, man, easily the best Creator Expert car and it's not even a contest.

This. And I really like some of the other creator vehicles a lot.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Carbohydrates do you have a pet dachshund?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nth Doctor posted:

Voter 397. Nice little set you made there.

Meanwhile, the journey of seven thousand pieces begins with a single step:

I ended up needing to construct an instruction book platform out of chairs to be able to see two pages at the same time and still have room to work.

So are you building yourself a new coffee table top? Will that huge behemoth even fit on that?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

sigher posted:

So are you building yourself a new coffee table top? Will that huge behemoth even fit on that?

I'd be more worried about whatever small, wantonly-destructive little human being uses that tiny trampoline and their proximity to the finished product.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd be more worried about whatever small, wantonly-destructive little human being uses that tiny trampoline and their proximity to the finished product.

Deffo worry about that. The tabletop is basically big enough to hold the instruction manual open. I think bags 2-17 will be done at the dining table. For now the frame is precariously set on top of my printer while I consider ways to hide this drat thing.

When it's finished it will be in my office at work, so I'll only need to worry about wantonly destructive big humans.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Carbohydrates posted:

This hobby is weird. $50 feels like a good price for a plastic toy car, but mad overpriced for a functional kitchen appliance.

Well you can play with a plastic toy car. I have a regular waffle iron for making non-novelty waffles and I've used it like once since my wedding.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

Deffo worry about that. The tabletop is basically big enough to hold the instruction manual open. I think bags 2-17 will be done at the dining table. For now the frame is precariously set on top of my printer while I consider ways to hide this drat thing.

When it's finished it will be in my office at work, so I'll only need to worry about wantonly destructive big humans.

Mercifully the build is split up into sections that you attach to the larger frame, so you can put the main model in a different part of the room if you need to.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone convince me not to order pirateland the second it becomes available in 2 days, 5 hours, 11 minutes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Waltzing Along posted:

Someone convince me not to order pirateland the second it becomes available in 2 days, 5 hours, 11 minutes.

Save it for when there are double points or a GWP you want?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Finally got to the last of my bricklink order from the UK, which means I finally finished building Carbohydrates’ Tiny House!

Popped up a few more photos over here. Thanks again Carbohydrates, this is quite possibly my favorite set I’ve put together :D

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Waltzing Along posted:

Are you somewhere that's in lockdown? I am, so there's no point in ordering it now since it won't get to me for god knows how long.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

Finally got to the last of my bricklink order from the UK, which means I finally finished building Carbohydrates’ Tiny House!

Popped up a few more photos over here. Thanks again Carbohydrates, this is quite possibly my favorite set I’ve put together :D

Gorgeous build.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Carbohydrates do you have a pet dachshund?
Two fluffy cats. I super do not remember where my avatar came from.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wow! And those photos! And you fully committed, with the reddish brown 1 x 2 x 1 panels and everything! Your photos are so nice, too. How fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing.

Waltzing Along posted:

No.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh that’s really nice! Good photos! :hfive:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Are you somewhere that's in lockdown? I am, so there's no point in ordering it now since it won't get to me for god knows how long.

Yeah this is me too. I assume it won’t sell out in like 6 months right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Small leak of the Fast & Furious Technic Dodge:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I build my life a quarter mile at a time.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Can someone confirm if this is lego or not, and if so what part number? Found it inside the High Speed Passenger train box (60051) but it's not on the part list and I can't find it on bricklink. Tried searching sprue, wheels, etc. It reminds me of the little wheels you'd snap into the front of a wheelbarrow. There's no LEGO mark on it but it's so small I don't know if I should expect that. The whole thing is like an inch long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That looks pretty low quality and it doesn't show up in this list.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

I build my life a quarter stud at a time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just made my first MOC since I was a literal child! I took the suggestion of some nice Goon in this thread to kickstart the creative juices by taking a set I already own, and making something using only pieces from it. It was a fun challenge! I had the Ghostbusters car and the BttF DeLorean collecting dust in a bookshelf, so I tore them down and got to work.

Here's what I started with. I didn't include the Minifigs cus I didn't really want to limit myself to minifig scale. I decided to try making a ship of some kind, because I figured with two vehicles it'd make the most sense to, well, make a vehicle. I also was maybe considering a mech or robot of some kind? But I wasn't confident I had enough hinges to really make that work, so I figured if I could figure out some way to make that happen I would, but wouldn't really count on it.

The initial base. These two sets had a buttload of snot pieces, so I figured I'd go for some cool lookin prongs on the front and back. I had a vague plan to use 1x8 plates and tiles to make some spindly bits sticking out the front and back, scaling them smaller as they went up. Then I remembered the Ghostbusters car had quite a few wedge pieces, so I decided to make it more angular instead. I planned for the left side of this photo to be the front, and then a heavier back on the right. At this point I'd kinda given up on any type of mech, because I started liking this initial idea.

WHY DO THESE STUDS NOT LINE UP? Learning how to snot freehand was harder than I thought. I don't have any clue how to math out studs and angles, so there was a lot of trial and error in this build. I decided to include some of the windows from the Ghostbusters car here, as I thought it'd be neat to have some side windows giving a view of the engine. I flipped the ship around in my mind at this point - this was now the back, rather than the front.

I decided to use some of the tires from the cars as the exhausts / engines / whatever for the ship. I also decided around here to have the general design be to have white streaks run along the ship, ending with these fins in the back. I imagine since this is the rear of the ship, it's where heat and exhaust would be expelled, so I staggered them to give the idea of vents.

Next I decided to start fleshing out the front more. I carried the white streak all the way to the front, and decided to frontload the red pieces in the two front prongs. I'm not fully sure if this is a fighter or a frigate or what, but I imagine it has some kind of light combat capabilities at the very least - so I figured the red front would be more threatening. The white stripe along the side turned out the be a real pain in the rear end, because it's SLIGHTLY illegal - the studs don't line up precisely, it are so close I could make them work with a little fuss. My plan now is to build up the cockpit and the body to tie the front and back halves together. However, I noticed I was running pretty low on major big pieces to use to flesh things out - I had used most of them already! I decided it would probably be best to use snot to allow the smaller plates to cover more distance.

At this point I also got so caught up in building and problem solving, I forgot to keep taking pictures :v: so here's the finished product!

I spent most of the time trying to get the body to really "work". I decided to follow the window angles along the rest of the ship, figuring I could just get some snot angles and use plates to cover the distance. It mostly worked, but I ran into problems trying to cover the many holes that existed. There are a few gaps here and there still, but they cover up enough to give the impression of being sealed, I think. I also had no clue how to handle the front of the cockpit. My first idea was to use one of the windshields from the cars, but they were all either too wide or too long. I wound up using one of the car plates for the front, and use some of the grates to give an implication of windows, or possibly sensors. The angled pieces in between the engine windows and the front were definitely the hardest part of the build - it was hard to design them so they'd cover all the gaps, be small enough to angle and meet at the top, and not be super flimsy. This build taught me a ton about how to strengthen builds, honestly, as it was a constant struggle to keep everything secure. I still think there are a few areas that are a bit loose, but overall it holds up.

Unfortunately I didn't "use the whole Buffalo" as there are quite a lot of pieces left over. Most of them are on the smaller side, I think because I didn't really know how to most effectively use the bigger pieces. I was definitely very willy-nilly with them early on, and by the time I realized I should have been more careful, they were too deep in the build for me to change. I think I could have been able to make use out of more of the smaller pieces instead of the bigger ones, then I'd have made more efficient use out of more pieces. Looking at these photos I realize I kind of lost the white streak running from front to back - I had to use some of the white components for the body. I think I see a couple pieces from those photos I could swap around to preserve the streak though, but that'll have to wait for tomorrow.

Anyways, hope you all enjoyed this retrospective of me discovering how to MOC. It was a ton of fun, and has gotten me in the mood to experiment more!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Meh

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Hmmm.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.

If they had used curved bricks instead of the curved Technic plates for a smooth body, it would look better. Those holes are jarring.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That, and the blue pins on the headlights...argh....

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The little thing for it to be on it's hind wheels onky. :dance: They at least know their audience.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

As a Challenger owner I know I complained a lot about "when are they gonna get a Dodge/FCA license" but this is not what I meant.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
So here's a perspective: the set is good, considering its parameters. Like, the designer was probably starting with a license (Fast and the Furious), a theme (Technic), and a price point ($100) plus the baked-in limitations of licensing fees and color-locked Technic pieces. From that point of view, the set is really good and likely could not be executed better.

Problem is, I think a lot of folks just don't like those parameters. Technic is never the best theme for a scale model display piece, and the license jacking up the cost seems unnecessary since LEGO already built this exact car (a black '70 Charger R/T with the big 3 butterfly valve supercharger) in a Speed Champions set without a license. The whole thing just feels entirely unnecessary, to the point where the execution almost doesn't matter. It's a pass for me, but I'm not even upset about it. Just completely ambivalent.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Technic is loving rad for the mechanical bits. But the gaps and holes in the bodywork absolutely kill any interest I have in owning them. Lego needs to do some kind of technic/creator expert hybrid where you get the kickass bodywork over a technic frame with a working powertrain.

Obviously will never be sellable for $100 but that's what it would take to get me interested at all. I still can't figure out why people go nuts over that ugly orange Porsche.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
The Porsche (both Porsches, really) is the closest I can get to the childhood holy grail - the 8880 Technic Supercar.

I think the Charger looks good. The blue Technic pound in the lights can probably be swapped out for grey ones. I'd rather it be in the Creator line, sure, bit I'm still gonna buy it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

xzzy posted:

Technic is loving rad for the mechanical bits. But the gaps and holes in the bodywork absolutely kill any interest I have in owning them. Lego needs to do some kind of technic/creator expert hybrid where you get the kickass bodywork over a technic frame with a working powertrain.

Obviously will never be sellable for $100 but that's what it would take to get me interested at all. I still can't figure out why people go nuts over that ugly orange Porsche.

I'd love this. I love the technical aspects of Technic and all the cool stuff you can do with it, but the end result is always too ugly for me to be interested.

There's this weird devide where a technic set has to look like a technic set, and a non-technic set can't use technic techniques except in maybe the smallest ways, with some exceptions like the carrousel, which is like the perfect combination of the two for me.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Can anyone tell the scale of this Charger compared to the Mustang? If they are close to the same scale, I think having the Charger to display next to my Mustang would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’re also paying all employees (including retail?) their full wage while being off work. Good Lego.