Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

The game is afoot

well i got some bad news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE6-icp-vgk

Robnoxious lives to post shittily another day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

The Lord Bude posted:

Who is her father in Law's son? So this guy's Son and Daughter in law both played survivor and he likes a random stranger the most? what a dick.

That aside, I'd be a tad put off if I were Parvati and a dude basically walked up to me and effectively said 'oh hey FYI I used to jack off to pictures of you when I was a kid'

man like, i agree nick was awkward but you sure as hell took that to an extreme.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
He said she was his crush in high school. What did you imagine that meant? He was a teenager. Teenagers jack off to stuff.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Obviously it means he had a single chaste poster on his bedroom wall to remind him only of her strategic prowess.

Maybe it's an autographed single chaste poster, signed in her obviously very girly handwriting.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Who is her father in Law's son? So this guy's Son and Daughter in law both played survivor and he likes a random stranger the most? what a dick.

John from Samoa. Best known for, I guess, having "rocket scientist" as his job title.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

freeman posted:

Well his son DID vote for Russell to win.

Speaking of Russell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjzsMgU51w&t=440s
Youtube autoplayed this on me and I can't help myself. Question though, I have fortunately forgotten Ben's season and win already so I don't know what stuff Russ is alluding to here but not saying outright.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ben (very easily) found three HII in a row, which allowed him to cruise from 7 to 4 despite being everybody's target.

And then, at four, when there were no longer any idols in play, the players were hit with the surprise "F4 is firemaking now" twist.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I believe one of the HII was hidden at a spot he very often went to for relaxation. It just looked really bad.

Devon got screwed that season. He deserves another shot at some point.

freeman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 28, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just because they didn't show him searching for 10 minutes of air time doesn't mean it was easy.

Even if it was NO ONE ELSE WAS LOOKING so they deserved what they got (nothing)

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah I think it was for his third (?) HII, Ben started looking right as soon as they got back from tribal and found it right at dusk as the sun was coming up. So hours and hours of looking, and everyone knew he was looking, and had just played two idols, and they all just went to sleep and let him do it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah I think it was for his third (?) HII, Ben started looking right as soon as they got back from tribal and found it right at dusk as the sun was coming up. So hours and hours of looking, and everyone knew he was looking, and had just played two idols, and they all just went to sleep and let him do it.

that would technically be dawn :eng101:

and that was the one that was at his sleeping spot

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I still lean towards production shenanigans with how lovely that season was. Especially with how stupid he is this season.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
In defense of the other Season 35 players, I think at the time it was assumed that idols wouldn't be re-hidden that late in the game (the only idol found at Final 5 before then was Adam in 33 which was an idol that had been re-hidden at Final 6 after being played at Final 7). I don't know why the show has tended towards the direction of obfuscating its rules over the years but it leads to really frustrating situations like this where players just have to read production's mind.

The counterargument is always "well they should plan for every outcome!!!" but when modern Survivor has like 10 viable Advantages with all sorts of different rules, planning for all of these contingencies is basically impossible. I don't blame Chrissy/Devon/Ryan/Mike for saving their energy for Final 5 immunity because from their perspective the only way Ben can win the game that is *definitely* possible is winning F5/F4 Immunity challenges back to back. Any other way he wins (including the way he did win) involves speculating about multiple unprecedented Survivor twists and maybe some guesses are more educated guesses than others but they're still just guesses.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mancalamania posted:

In defense of the other Season 35 players, I think at the time it was assumed that idols wouldn't be re-hidden that late in the game (the only idol found at Final 5 before then was Adam in 33 which was an idol that had been re-hidden at Final 6 after being played at Final 7). I don't know why the show has tended towards the direction of obfuscating its rules over the years but it leads to really frustrating situations like this where players just have to read production's mind.

They sat around, he looked.

You know the old saying:

Fool me thrice... Production cheated :qq:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

You're not wrong that there's a million twists now, but there's still one consistent way to get them while stuck at camp: find a lil package hidden nearby.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Production brought it on themselves as far as I’m concerned.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

pokeyman posted:

You're not wrong that there's a million twists now, but there's still one consistent way to get them while stuck at camp: find a lil package hidden nearby.

Yeah but if you don't know the lil package is hidden but do know there is a necklace up for grabs tomorrow, it makes sense to save your energy for the thing you know exists. The idols had never been planted at Final 5 before but a necklace has always been up for grabs at Final 5. I'm not necessarily saying it was the *correct* decision, but I get why the non-Bens chose to sleep.

Now if they actually knew the lil packages exist because production was transparent with the rules then there's actually some strategic decision-making to do and more fun backseat quarterbacking for us!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's kind of hard to not argue that Production handed that season to Ben. The last idol he found, they hid it at a spot he was hanging out at on a regular basis. And then they revealed at final 4... that there would be a fire making challenge instead of being able to actually vote someone out of the game.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I like not having all the rules laid out, it's fun to watch. And they don't know there's going to be one immunity necklace up for grabs at tomorrow's challenge, that's an assumption too. One with a ton of precedent, sure, but that's what makes a twist a twist.

I'd probably choose sleep too, but not even considering the possibility of an idol seems pretty dumb, and is an indictment of the players more than production.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Not having all the rules laid out is dangerously close to quiz show scandal territory.

Back in the day in professional wrestling a guy hit his finisher on his opponent and he won the match. Then one day a booker said 'hey what if he kicks out of the finisher this time' and the head booker was like 'but it's called a finisher for a reason' but the guy says 'trust me on this, the crowd is going to love it.' So they have a championship match and the underdog kicks out of the champion's finisher and the crowd goes absolutely batshit, and the booker was like 'see told you so.' So then that slowly became the norm. The audience, who was used to it being one way now got to experience it another way, but they didn't mind because most of the time it was exciting. One era later wrestlers are kicking out of finishers and sub-finishers and it's still getting pretty good pops and it's keeping the business alive, but the old-school fans are like 'really guys, this is getting stupid'. Then, in an era of multiple finisher kick-outs, part-time wrestler Brock Lesnar enters the ring, hits one finisher, pins his opponent and straight up leaves the arena. Fans are blown away and start shoveling money towards the company he works for in his name, and he gets pushed to the moon. He gets so popular that he's able to Big League the promoter into letting him work when he wants, how he wants.

Long story short there needs to be a Brock Lesnar season. I mean like one and only one HII ever that doesn't get put back into the game when used. Someone's going to misuse it thinking there's more. That way when the season afterwards rolls around and the new contestants are given the season to watch, they're going to see that one and only one HII be misused. Then the meta might just change a bit.

None of this is going to happen but a man can dream.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's something to be said for stripping something down to change it up after too many years of adding things to change it up add up to a mess. But its worth pointing out that it didn't actually work in that pro wrestling metaphor. WWE has been in a decline by every consumer metric all during Brock Lesnar's "back to basics" reign (which I think is a generous way of describing Brock's run). But that's a debate for another thread.

My problem with the Ben debate is that people always conflate the fire making challenge issue with the last idol. I'm ok with the opinion that the fire making challenge was an unforeseen thing and "unfair" if we ignore that like the entire history of Survivor has been production springing unfair twists on players.

But idols are a known commodity, Christy and Co were aware Ben was looking for one, and they thought there might be one enough that they did a whole fake idol play to try and demoralize Ben and get him not to look. So like the idea that they just couldn't know there was an idol and it was unfair for production to that rings like a poor excuse. They knew there could be an idol out there. They knew Ben was looking for it. They simply were arrogant and all assumed that even if he found it they wouldn't be the one who suffered for it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's kind of hard to not argue that Production handed that season to Ben. The last idol he found, they hid it at a spot he was hanging out at on a regular basis. And then they revealed at final 4... that there would be a fire making challenge instead of being able to actually vote someone out of the game.
Yeah I read somewhere he slept in the boat and then they wrote DIG HERE on the boat and buried the idol there? If that’s really true then that’s straight up rigging. Would’ve loved to see how the votes shook out in a Chrissy/Devon/Ryan F3

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah I read somewhere he slept in the boat and then they wrote DIG HERE on the boat and buried the idol there? If that’s really true then that’s straight up rigging. Would’ve loved to see how the votes shook out in a Chrissy/Devon/Ryan F3

Devon sweep

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

He would have gone into FTC getting maybe zero votes though because nobody on the jury knew he was anything other than a surfer bro. That’s why it really would’ve been a tossup with maybe even Ryan having a chance (some people didn’t really like Chrissy). It’s a great what if, instead we just got the brute force Ben poo poo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

He would have gone into FTC getting maybe zero votes though because nobody on the jury knew he was anything other than a surfer bro. That’s why it really would’ve been a tossup with maybe even Ryan having a chance (some people didn’t really like Chrissy). It’s a great what if, instead we just got the brute force Ben poo poo

That's not true at all. He was incredibly well liked by everyone, and had a few moments where they showed he was capable of strategery as well. And nobody liked Crissy and Ryan so...sweep.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

What does Rob have to gain by hiding his tokens?

Who cares fool? You got ousted quick, and your game was gross and out-dated.
Total megalomania and bruised ego business.

I've pinned my hopes on Denise and Sophie.

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 30, 2020

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Serious Party Gods posted:

What does Rob have to gain by hiding his tokens?

10 minutes of fun messing with the others on a small empty island?

quote:

I've pinned my hopes on Denise and Sophie.

:same:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The editorial intention was clearly to dunk on Tyson, thus the juxtaposition of 'Rob is a portly fellow' with 'No big deal, I just zipped around and snapped up 3 tokens under everyone's noses.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So do you take 3 advantages in the return challenge or take the idol and hope you win it outright?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Survivor S40: Yul Never Believe Who's Gone :smith:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

bbf2 posted:

Survivor S40: Yul Never Believe Who's Gone :smith:

Maybe he'll escape from ioi and we can leave the title the way it is? :unsmith:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I am hoping that they long segment on what would happen if anyone from that tribe would do if they return to the game was to set up Yul getting back in.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just like the last few seasons gimmicks this one has barely mattered. We have all the fuckin tokens and like one has been used.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

Just like the last few seasons gimmicks this one has barely mattered. We have all the fuckin tokens and like one has been used.

Sure that’s the case so far but just wait til it’s final 6 and 20some tokens are used at once, everyone ends up immune, and they make up a tiebreaker like whoever had least tokens is voted out

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Joose Caboose posted:

Sure that’s the case so far but just wait til it’s final 6 and 20some tokens are used at once, everyone ends up immune, and they make up a tiebreaker like whoever had least tokens is voted out

all votes don't count. Now we revote. everyone is eligible. You can buy immunity for two fire tokens or an extra vote for one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Any word yet on what they're going to do for the finale?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

It's just Jeff swinging on vines, riding motorcycles, and hanging off helicopters for 35 minutes

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

The Lord Bude posted:

really big zoom call

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Other shows with live finales have stripped it down to the bare essentials: host, cast (who weren't sick), and camera operators. Back-of-the-napkin math indicates that wide shots are impractical but there's room for your standard 2-3 person shots with the 6-foot guideline. No way to make it not look horribly awkward and it's still a bit insensitive to the current messaging to have 21 people on camera in a room together. Testing is becoming a lot more feasible now so testing everyone, especially in a month, might not be the moral and PR fiasco that it was for NBA teams a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Sighence posted:

Other shows with live finales have stripped it down to the bare essentials: host, cast (who weren't sick), and camera operators. Back-of-the-napkin math indicates that wide shots are impractical but there's room for your standard 2-3 person shots with the 6-foot guideline. No way to make it not look horribly awkward and it's still a bit insensitive to the current messaging to have 21 people on camera in a room together. Testing is becoming a lot more feasible now so testing everyone, especially in a month, might not be the moral and PR fiasco that it was for NBA teams a while back.

The Australian survivor finale was today and the Host and one of the final two where teleconferenced in.