Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

you made money, motherfucker

I really gotta go back and freeze-frame all of the tablet stuff unless someone wants to gif it! :sweatdrop:

e: oops accidentally pasted the same link twice

e2: smh singing you are my sunshine not once, but twice?? hbo shoulda put a warning ahead of the episode for all the lesbians watching this show for ERW. smdh

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The question is: who is Dolores closest to (and vice versa), plus who would choke a predator dead while talking about also being a predator? Also, she's says she owns them.

I'm going to guess robo-William. He'd certainly be someone who knew what Hale was like. Also makes the "you belong to me" bit twisted and hosed up, but not a blatant character regression the way having it be Teddy would be.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 30, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

HELLO LADIES posted:

Based on the trailer for next week, I'm going to guess robo-William. He'd certainly be someone who knew what Hale was like. Also makes the "you belong to me" bit twisted and hosed up, but not a blatant character regression the way having it be Teddy would be.

Just finished, and I was thinking this, too. Just shoved Delos' mind backup of him into a ball and hoped for the best.

Though the MiB scene at the end of last season was confirmed to be set yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaars after the current story of the show, wasn't it? I honestly thought that was just a cute way to write William off the show-- deadass didn't even know he was back for this season, as I hadn't been paying attention to the production leading up to S3.

Either they're retconning that (if they haven't already) or the MiB stuff next week is set way before his final scene from last season? idk. I just hope it's not another split off timeline.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm not sold on the Hale retcon. (Wyatt-)Dolores-Hale escaped the island with a bunch of balls. One of the balls becomes Dolores 2.0 at the end of the season. Another is Bald-Bernard, who it was completely unnecessary of her to bring back as an adversary by the way, seeing as some random thugs with guns could kill Dolores 2.0 at any moment because she has zero sense of self preservation, and Dolores-Hale can't keep the charade up without Dolores 2.0.

Anyway, for Hale to be someone other than Dolores-Hale, Dolores 2.0 would have had to pluck Dolores-Hale's ball out. That's contrived even for Westworld. I think they're both still Dolores, and that it wasn't meant to be unclear, but poor dialogue unintentionally made it blurry.

Of course, it could all be a huge twist that gets explained in the final episode. That's become a problem instead of a boon for Westworld; If your show is stupid until the very last episode, your audience has to put up with a lot of stupid before it's flipped on its head to sound clever.

Aaron Paul though. That man puts in work. He picked up this episode and carried it on his shoulders.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 30, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Donnerberg posted:

I'm not sold on the Hale retcon. (Wyatt-)Dolores-Hale escaped the island with a bunch of balls. One of the balls becomes Dolores 2.0 at the end of the season. Another is Bald-Bernard, who it was completely unnecessary of her to bring back as an adversary by the way, seeing as some random thugs with guns could kill Dolores 2.0 at any moment because she has zero sense of self preservation, and Dolores-Hale can't keep the charade up without Dolores 2.0.

Anyway, for Hale to be someone other than Dolores-Hale, Dolores 2.0 would have had to pluck Dolores-Hale's ball out. That's contrived even for Westworld. I think they're both still Dolores, and that it wasn't meant to be unclear, but poor dialogue unintentionally made it blurry.

Of course, it could all be a huge twist that gets explained in the final episode. That's become a problem instead of a boon for Westworld; If your show is stupid until the very last episode, your audience has to put up with a lot of stupid before it's flipped on its head to sound clever.

Aaron Paul though. That man puts in work. He picked up this episode and carried it on his shoulders.

I'd be way down for Dolores to be double sleeving, the filthy criminal.

Anyway why did she make another Hale body if the first Hale body was the one to escape WW and make Dolores' new ERW body

or was that not supposed to be a new hale being made in the cold open? i have been very stoned basically for the past two weeks so

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

esperterra posted:

I'd be way down for Dolores to be double sleeving, the filthy criminal.

Anyway why did she make another Hale body if the first Hale body was the one to escape WW and make Dolores' new ERW body

or was that not supposed to be a new hale being made in the cold open? i have been very stoned basically for the past two weeks so

Actually, I think I'm very wrong and I was about to completely redact my last post. I barely remember season 2. I assumed Dolores was double-sleeving, but duplicate balls hasn't been a thing in the show. It would make more sense for Hale to be someone else.

Dolores-Hale makes Bald-Bernard. Bald-Bernard makes a new Dolores body, puts the Dolores-Hale ball in it. A new ball goes in the Hale shell.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 30, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'm p sure Dolores just swapped herself back into her (new) old body then put someone in a new Hale. The ol' double sleeve would be fun tho.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Here's a new theory.

https://devnerdist.wpengine.com/article/who-is-pretending-to-be-charlotte-on-westworld/

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I completely forgot Angela existed.

She's my new horse to back!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

esperterra posted:

Just finished, and I was thinking this, too. Just shoved Delos' mind backup of him into a ball and hoped for the best.

And they're the absolute perfect person to put into a Hale body to run Delos.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the page. Angela would be a good choice, but would the showrunners really choose such a background character?

It's not much of a shocking reveal if everyone goes, "Who?"

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
If this is meant to be some big surprise twist then something like a second Dolores would be what I’d expect compared to “remember this secondary character that barely spoke?” Plus the weird intimate relationship between Dolores and the fake Hale points to somebody she has a deeper connection with beyond “rode in the same roving murder band.” I would see loyal lieutenant Angela more as the one that’s commandeering the Scottish guy from the other company now.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There are only a few characters she every really interacted with so the mystery of who it could be is just kinda dumb.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My guess is it's Teddy in the Hale-bot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel dumb right now, but I feel like the thing in Calebs mouth, went completely over my head. What was it that those two guys who kidnapped him were trying to do? How were they able to do that stuff to his body with the tablet they had?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Deliberately asking the question of "who is CharlotteBot?" and then not answering it/answering it off-screen feels really artificial

I said come in! posted:

I feel dumb right now, but I feel like the thing in Calebs mouth, went completely over my head. What was it that those two guys who kidnapped him were trying to do? How were they able to do that stuff to his body with the tablet they had?

Those circle wafers people keep putting in their mouths work with an implant people seem to have in their palates. There was an offhand comment in episode 1 about Caleb having his taken out or deactivated. I only got that because of the Alt Shift X video

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 30, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Assume it's like a biometric chip thing most people have installed that lets them interface with stuff, either that or something like that but he has an army issued one (putting a thing in spoilers cause it was in a trailer)the man in black seems to have one as well since we see someone doing something to his in the trailer. . The dudes also said something like "oh that's a top of the line one and you've gone and disabled it?" as if that's an unusual thing to do, then he's like "oops forgot the anesthetic" which implies getting them installed is a thing people would be familiar with.

As for how they were able to do what they were doing? Probably something like waterboarding, fooling his body into a heart attack or something using the implant.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

I think it was future-esque :2bong:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think the mouth implant is kinda like the mood machine at the start of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. People dose with little edible chips that alter their moods if they want to party, relax, etc. His was probably like a military-issue dopamine drip for his PTSD.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

SirPablo posted:

I think it was future-esque :2bong:

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

esperterra posted:

I was wondering about this too. My assumption was that removing Dolores's control unit to put it into her new body caused too much damage to the old Hale body and it was easier to just print a new one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
God, this show is sllllloooooooooooooooooooooowwww.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Combat Pretzel posted:

God, this show is sllllloooooooooooooooooooooowwww.

Blade Crawler

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, being "military issue" it was probably either controlling his biometrics to deal with PTSD, or it was previously implanted when he was in service, to pump endorphins or adrenaline to make him a better soldier.

OP correction: There was never a book version of Westworld. The 1973 movie was written and directed by Crichton. He wrote and directed a few mediocre sci-fi movies that weren't based on previous novels, like Looker and Runaway, which all kind of touch on the themes being mined in HBO WW now.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
If new Hale is actually a copy of young MIB aka Jimmi Simpson I’ll eat my hat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

beanieson posted:

If new Hale is actually a copy of young MIB aka Jimmi Simpson I’ll eat my hat

Holy poo poo I like this theory.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am instantly eating up any theory that lets Jimmi Simpson still be in this show, but young William wouldn't know Hale at all. But I would love if she stole an old backup of young william before he went all sickhouse on everything and then she recreates him.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Cojawfee posted:

I am instantly eating up any theory that lets Jimmi Simpson still be in this show, but young William wouldn't know Hale at all. But I would love if she stole an old backup of young william before he went all sickhouse on everything and then she recreates him.

That’s my thought. She’s just programming a recreation of him, so she can download any info to him she wants, including park history that he wasn’t around for.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Would be interesting if it was a Theresa Cullen copy, but that doesn't really fit too many of the fine details other than :tinfoil:There was that shot of Hale smoking:tinfoil:

Course robo-mind-clones are totally unstable even in controlled settings. Which does bring up the William in the Future ending of S2, which I thought was saying that some robots were trying to recreate him, and the stuff we saw with him in s2 in the park and then going down to the underground lab, was testing robo-mind-clone William to see how long he can survive without breaking down, like the other mind clones. The park being an equivalent to his Father in Law's robo-mind-clone isolation room.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It'll be some new character they introduce in the episode before the reveal.

The young William theory is pretty solid though. Also, both old William and Robo Hale have self-mutilated their elbows.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 30, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Whoever said that Big D double-sleeved now has my vote because of Hale's "will we be able to be ~ourselves~ again?" comment.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Hale is Maeve's daughter.

Cojawfee posted:

I think the idea is that whichever host is in the Halebot has had her memories added to their own, meaning it'd be irrelevant whether that host knew Hale beforehand. Of course based on what the Halebot said, these memories have essentially reconstituted Hale within a copy of her body, a rival consciousness threatening take over as the host is forced to rely on Hale's memories to survive. Early in the episode she hasn't been tapping into the personal side of Hale, but the introduction of her kid as well as the original's farewell seems to be triggering an emotional reaction that points to the original Hale consciousness being close to the surface.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ohhh so it'd be like how Dolores is also two minds. That'd be neat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hale is Maeve's daughter.

gently caress, I want to change my vote to this one, but the one issue with this is that her daughter was uploaded into the cloud.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Maybe Hale is being driven by another Bernard. The physical Bernard is being driven by Broken Arnold. Maybe Hale is Fixed Bernard?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hale saying the body was driving her crazy doesn't make sense unless her pearl is a park host.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

rich thick and creamy posted:

Maybe Hale is being driven by another Bernard. The physical Bernard is being driven by Broken Arnold. Maybe Hale is Fixed Bernard?

Delores is Punished Bernard and Serac had Arnold's arm transplanted onto him allowing Arnold's personality to take over.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

tweet my meat posted:

Delores is Punished Bernard and Serac had Arnold's arm transplanted onto him allowing Arnold's personality to take over.

So after all these cut scenes, Dolores will need to switch control to the other port to fight the boss battle?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

rich thick and creamy posted:

So after all these cut scenes, Dolores will need to switch control to the other port to fight the boss battle?

Yes, but only after we find out how many hours she put into Symphony of the Night.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Honestly, not telling us who is in Charlotte is a dumb mystery that actively harms the viewers ability to understand what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't mind it being a mystery, as long as it doesn't last all season.