Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

smertrioslol posted:

I just lost an aunt to this poo poo and I had just last night looked at the timeline of hate mango denying this all and failing any sort of containment until it couldn’t be ignored and it strikes me that her death was very preventable. gently caress this dark timeline forever

That Works posted:

You have my condolences and shared anger about this.

Same here. Very sorry for your loss, you have my sympathies.

This loving shitshow was entirely preventable.

EDIT: Stupid snipe, have a pic of Olive and her duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://apnews.com/b21a296383694c6726d03e027134daf1

Brazil aiming for the top.

quote:

“The Brazilian needs to be studied. He doesn’t catch anything. You see a guy jumping into sewage, diving in, right? Nothing happens to him. I think a lot of people were already infected in Brazil, weeks or months ago, and they already have the antibodies that help it not proliferate,” Bolsonaro said. “I’m hopeful that’s really a reality.”

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm just rambling at this point, but the military now is definitely not the military of any prior generation.

I don't know if yall can answer this: but my younger Brother was kinda liberal, in the didn't think too hard about poo poo way where you're just kinda chill with people who weren't loving with you. Joins the army, doesn't leave the US, and spends his entire contract at Lewis-McChord, get's med separated(army docs screwed him up), and somehow ends up as this weirdo who basically parrots Rush Limbaugh talking points, griping about welfare queens, and how he EARNED HIS BENEFITS AND BUILD THE WALL MAGA!! Is this common?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't know if yall can answer this: but my younger Brother was kinda liberal, in the didn't think too hard about poo poo way where you're just kinda chill with people who weren't loving with you. Joins the army, doesn't leave the US, and spends his entire contract at Lewis-McChord, get's med separated(army docs screwed him up), and somehow ends up as this weirdo who basically parrots Rush Limbaugh talking points, griping about welfare queens, and how he EARNED HIS BENEFITS AND BUILD THE WALL MAGA!! Is this common?

If I was still in I would likely be way more right wing. Not sure if I would be broke brained enough to be on the Trumpwagon but also not ruling it out as a possibility.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Jarmak posted:

This forum is not typical

:rolleyes:

Marketing: a thing that only works on boomers

It's a symptom of a greater problem. The inability to look reality in the eye.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Defenestrategy posted:

If he was combat arms he was likely surrounded by that garbage 24/7. If he is at all impressionable, well, there's your answer.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

not caring here posted:

If he was combat arms he was likely surrounded by that garbage 24/7. If he is at all impressionable, well, there's your answer.

On top of that, being at JBLM will have been pissing off all of the MAGA dudes because of how they're "surrounded by these goddamned liberals", in my experience.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Defenestrategy posted:

I cannot give a direct answer because there's a wide swath of variables.

I'll be honest, my idiot rear end, all of 20 years old, raised in rural towns and on a farm, with a pyramid scheme addict father who watched and listened to a lot of dumb conservative poo poo on the reg, post-9/11, was fairly conservative when I joined the military. I had already lost my grasp and give-a-poo poo about religion. I was the first person in my family to join since a long forgotten great uncle who disowned the family and left with no forward address.

The salvaging of my life from conservativism was my year in Korea. It was my first duty station. I was fortunate to have a roommate that was smarter than me and would walk me through discussions on topics that made sense in a way that wasn't demonizing voices on the radio. He introduced me to SA in general back in 2003 and my mind has been rotted out by the forums ever since. I honestly grew more as a person in that year than any time prior or since. Then I rotated back to Campbell, off to Iraq, back to Campbell, just loving done with dog and pony bullshit and ready to be out, with a pile of back problems. The big change though, was that roommate in Korea. Dude really helped, more than he knows.

It's always the people you find yourself with that influence you the most.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

not caring here posted:

Most people are sponges and don't want to rock the boat so when stupid poo poo permeates their environment it'll almost invariably go unchallenged

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

smertrioslol posted:

I just lost an aunt to this poo poo and I had just last night looked at the timeline of hate mango denying this all and failing any sort of containment until it couldn’t be ignored and it strikes me that her death was very preventable. gently caress this dark timeline forever

Sorry to hear dude. Condolences.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

While the draft plays a huge role in our cultural memory of Vietnam, only a third of the US troops who fought there were drafted. Even during the worst parts of the war, there were still plenty of good 'ol boys willing to fight the commies for Uncle Sam. And afterwards, a huge number of them didn't believe we lost because we spent a decade and fifty thousand American lives playing not to lose with a complete lack of any coherent political or military strategy, but instead that we could have won if not for those goddamn longhairs and gutless politicians, who protested the war and dodged the draft while they and their buddies fought and died to preserve the American Way in Southeast Asia.

Didn't help either that the Democratic Party somehow managed to be on both wrong sides of the issue, with the war really kickstarting under LBJ (but not, these vets would say, to the point that it could have been won), while the most prominent Anti-War activists and politicians were Democtats (who betrayed our troops and let them die for nothing).

This is probably the biggest reason many vets swing right, along with the fact that their peer group probably are not bleeding heart liberals.

My Dad started his career in a combat unit in Vietnam 69-70 and finally ended after participating in OIF. Though I can say he is not a fan of Washington in general, his disdain for the left, mostly stemming from his experiences during and immediately after the Vietnam era, will keep him on the right.

To help put this in context, I have memories of him and his Army buddies celebrating on the Kent State massacre anniversaries...

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

yeah, I think its a coping mechanism. The largest demographic for stolen valor are nam vets that weren't in combat saying they were.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If somebody's vaguely liberal because they just kinda go with whatever and don't actually apply critical thought, being around a conservative peer group is going to push them far right very easily.

See also: the well-documented ties between right wing hate groups and gaming communities

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Crazy Mike posted:

The military also seems like one of the highest probability ways to turn a poor kid into a middle class kid. As much as the army sucks, it sucks slightly less than not being able to afford rent and groceries.

This is my story. I grew up with food scarcity and moving from place to place when we got evicted. Three square meals and a nice place in the burbs with free healthcare and education benefits I gave to my son. Shame about all the lovely stuff I had to do over the years to get these things but it made me want the same benefits for all of the people I see struggling. Sure you might not get to be a billionaire but there is something to be said for living comfortably.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’m loving furious at everyone who let it get this bad.

My immunocompromised mother who has was an ER/ICU nurse for 25 years is voluntarily going back to bedside care today because they don’t have enough staff in Chicago and are out of ventilators. I’m scared. She’s been texting me about it and I can’t shake the feeling she’s saying goodbye. I’ve tried talking her out of it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hekk posted:

Shame about all the lovely stuff I had to do over the years to get these things

Wasn't there a phrase for this? Basically if the people felt the bad things they were doing weren't just or necessary it tended to gently caress them up in its own way. I know there's a particular phrase that I've seen bandied about

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

smertrioslol posted:

gently caress

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there a phrase for this? Basically if the people felt the bad things they were doing weren't just or necessary it tended to gently caress them up in its own way. I know there's a particular phrase that I've seen bandied about

“Moral injury” is what you’re looking for.

e: have a link

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/treat/cooccurring/moral_injury.asp

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/nicolesjchung/status/1244621613561241602

Glad to see Americans are reacting in a crisis in the way they know best, racism.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Would that be inclusive of conscientious objection?

Old crusty Vietnam vet joke, conscientious objector is another name for a Canadian.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Glad to see Americans are reacting in a crisis in the way they know best, racism.

Yup, right where I expected it to go. Wife is basically 100% self quarantined. No real fear of the virus given our ages. She could just feel where this was headed when dealing with white people and has basically noped out of society until the shitgibbon and his minions stop blaring their bigoted rhetoric to the cult followers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

She could just feel where this was headed when dealing with white people and has basically noped out of society until the shitgibbon and his minions stop blaring their bigoted rhetoric to the cult followers.

So never?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bird food bathtub posted:

Yup, right where I expected it to go. Wife is basically 100% self quarantined. No real fear of the virus given our ages. She could just feel where this was headed when dealing with white people and has basically noped out of society until the shitgibbon and his minions stop blaring their bigoted rhetoric to the cult followers.

Yep, the day prez called it "Chinese Virus" on his twitter within 2 hours I saw dozens of blue checked talking heads banging the "What do we need to do business with China for ever again anyway?" and lots of soft "China bad" poo poo. I texted my buddy whose wife is ethnically Chinese and kids favor her and told him to be extra careful.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That’s so messed up. China isn’t telling older Americans to keep going to choir practice or pack pews.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

That Works posted:

Yep, the day prez called it "Chinese Virus" on his twitter within 2 hours I saw dozens of blue checked talking heads banging the "What do we need to do business with China for ever again anyway?" and lots of soft "China bad" poo poo. I texted my buddy whose wife is ethnically Chinese and kids favor her and told him to be extra careful.

it sucks that they're right for the wrong reasons.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Just ask them if the free market was wrong all this time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Madurai posted:

Just ask them if the free market was wrong all this time.

That joke about capitalism cannot fail, only be failed? Not remotely a joke

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1244698628612067330?s=20

That's springer is so cute, think that's gonna be what we get as a second dog this summer. Our dog enjoying checking to figure out what I'm doing when I am doing RingFit.

Edit: Whoops, meant that for the dog thread but w/e

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 30, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1244698628612067330?s=20

That's springer is so cute, think that's gonna be what we get as a second dog this summer. Our dog enjoying checking to figure out what I'm doing when I am doing RingFit.

Edit: Whoops, meant that for the dog thread but w/e

Looks like a Brittany to me, but can't tell without seeing the tail.

You leave that dog post right here, mister. We need doggo photos to bring the mood back from all the sour news.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Luca wants something but I dunno what

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Covid-19?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's in the window?

e: https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1244413706269790212

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 30, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

whatever it is he deserves it, give it to him

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You sure that’s a doggo? All I see is a series of triangles that wants you to throw the ball (you monster, do it!).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's in the window?

Serious answer, I'm presuming something to do with negative pressure in parts of the hospital.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JJFromTheBronx/status/1244713360089845760?s=20

It is just a big ship, come on people

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

On a civilian ship we would put bodies in one of the 40ish F boxes I think. Freezing a body fucks it up.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You freeze bodies when you don't know how long it will be (weeks? months?) until you can process/bury/burn them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

On a civilian ship we would put bodies in one of the 40ish F boxes I think. Freezing a body fucks it up.

Honestly could be a refrigerated one and someone called it that maybe?