Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The only thing in the background of my camera is a lounging dog and a bunch of my son's toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want to set up a green screen mostly so I can do increasingly weird custom zoom backgrounds and see if anyone in our meetings notices.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Entropic posted:

I want to set up a green screen mostly so I can do increasingly weird custom zoom backgrounds and see if anyone in our meetings notices.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Entropic posted:

One of my coworkers got his chromakey poo poo set up, and he has the most bizarre poo poo going on in the background. It's great. One time, he was sitting at Everest basecamp for a video test :allears:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If your computer is good enough, you don't even need the green screen, it just does automatic background deletion. They added the option to do videos as well, so I had the matrix one day. It's kind of distracting though, so I stopped that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Entropic posted:

I embiggened it, so much that it can no longer fit on imgur, SA gives me a 413 Request Entity Too Large error, and I have to host it on Googles infrastructure, much as I dislike it.
You'll probably need to press shift+D to download the original file.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 27, 2020

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Bit of levity...

You can tell the AV nerds and streamers at my company because there's weirdos like me who have a good ring light, an external camera and tripod so it looks like I'm looking at you when I talk, and pro audio gear. My now former boss is very similar, and there's definitely a few people who you know are showing off.
When this all started kicking off I pretty much just rocked a Surface Book 2, and a pair of iPhone ear phones so I was cursing myself not packing more stuff from the office.
I got fed up constantly using a trackpad so I bought a Logi Pebble and an extended mousemat, then we started using Teams and the VOIP quality was mega garbage on my WiFi so I managed to dig out an old Nintendo Wii 10/100 ethernet dongle, then lastly I started getting a bunch of neck pain and dug out a monitor riser we still had kicking around.

We do have random catchups but our team doesn't really banter all that well, personally I don't say much as I don't want to bring the mood down saying I'm miserable (although they didn't see it one of the meetings my kid decided he was done blowing bubbles in the garden then came and dumped the pot of liquid all over my shorts).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Super Slash posted:

We do have random catchups but our team doesn't really banter all that well, personally I don't say much as I don't want to bring the mood down saying I'm miserable (although they didn't see it one of the meetings my kid decided he was done blowing bubbles in the garden then came and dumped the pot of liquid all over my shorts).

The new Windows guy's son ran into his office to collect some workout gear, tripped over something, apologized, and fumbled his way back out of the room, while said Windows guy no-sold the whole thing as the rest of us cracked up.

Meanwhile, my cat's been in a cone of shame, so he will wander in from camera right every few minutes because he's high on pain meds and just wants to be near me, and all you can see is green-and-purple triangle with a bit of floof sticking out, followed by my hand shoving him gently off screen until he tries again. :smith: Stoney buddy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just hold him on screen. A cat in the cone of shame is more interesting than work stuff guaranteed.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

And you can pet him while talking like some kind of supervillain.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Geemer posted:

I did that during one of our daily shoot-the-poo poo meetings and my coworkers said I looked like a B-movie supervillain and it felt great. :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Same but I lay mine face up and front camera is default so it's just pitch black.
The built in mic does surprisingly well when the Surface is used this way.

I got several tickets from the same department a while back that I ignored until my queue got so full it was hard to actually see the important stuff so I decided to do some cleanup.

Basically every ticket was "I can't access this calendar. this calendar won't display, everyone has access to this calendar but me, etc..." Of course, nobody actually mentions which loving calendar they're talking about or any details that could help me sleuth down the problem.

I had to aggressively email everyone in the department with their supervisor CC'd before I got a response from anyone.

Turns out "no access" means "I can't see the calendar and I don't know how to add it." I'm pretty sure that poo poo should be a part of their onboarding training but LOL I'm sure every other department is just as bad about actually training people as IT is.

I thought about writing up a whole "here's how to use outlook and add calendars" but yeah that's a terrible idea. I'm just gonna reply, "ask your neighbor how they added it" and close all those tickets.

I attended the meeting, but I didn't have a chance to play music. It was a busy morning.
When my boss asked if I was working that day, my manager said, "yes" and simultaneously I said, "no."
Boss asked, "well which is it?"

I graciously turned on my video and gave everyone a face full of poopy baby diaper, and confirmed verbally that I was in fact, "off today."

I'll admit that it wasn't planned, my daughter just happens to have impeccable timing, but I took FULL advantage of the situation.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Kyrosiris posted:

I did that during one of our daily shoot-the-poo poo meetings and my coworkers said I looked like a B-movie supervillain and it felt great. :v:

Arquinsiel posted:

Just hold him on screen. A cat in the cone of shame is more interesting than work stuff guaranteed.

Geemer posted:

Pretty much. I kept letting him get most of the way across the screen and then I'd push him back, like a side scrolling game. And felt very much like a villain in a weird Portlandia skit.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We had our first remote Webex team meeting, nobody except our boss enabled the webcam.

I was ill prepared, next time I'm using FaceRig to be Doge at my desk.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hi team, i know you will appreciate this
i spent the last half of this wfh week battling my internet while trying to assist people with theirs.

every forty minutes give or take my direct access laptop on wifi would just lose internet. couldn't browse pages, outlook out, teams out, tray says no network, except i could continue to work in any active rdp sessions i had open at the time. this also affected my mobile on wifi, no internet. desktop machine wired? completely fine. to clear the issue i had to reboot the router.
wiring my laptop seemingly extended how long i could stay connected, but i would still just drop out periodically. isp reported no faults or network issues in my area.

the solution was changing my laptop's dns from automatic to 8.8.8.8.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Ghostlight posted:

I just had to lock my phone, set it down on my lap, run my hands thru my hair, laugh loudly, and then pick the phone back up before I could make this reply.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

About 10% of the users for one office were having issues connecting to a server/application that is critical to what they do all day. I called the vendor and found out they have been getting a number of similar reports with no solution. I kept digging and discovered that the impacted users were on IPv6 from their ISP, I disabled that on the NIC, had them restart and it has been rick solid since. Couple days of troubleshoot but solution documented and I can move on with my life.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kensei posted:

rick solid

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

kensei posted:

About 10% of the users for one office were having issues connecting to a server/application that is critical to what they do all day. I called the vendor and found out they have been getting a number of similar reports with no solution. I kept digging and discovered that the impacted users were on IPv6 from their ISP, I disabled that on the NIC, had them restart and it has been rick solid since. Couple days of troubleshoot but solution documented and I can move on with my life.

We have a number of work from home users who got hit when a poo poo tier ISP near here stopped giving out IPv4 addresses. Since the VPN we're forced to use doesn't support IPv6 (as they configured it), those users were basically told to eat poo poo and have to get a new ISP. As <Parent Company> refuses to turn on IPv6 for some unfuckibly knowable reason.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The number of network things at my job "fixed" by disabling IPv6 is not making me feel good about actually using it eventually.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Knew exactly what this was, clicked it anyway.

Ghostlight posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you have your firewall/router/whatever's doing DHCP set to hand out the ISP's DNS servers instead of Google/OpenDNS? I didn't think anyone actually used their ISP's DNS servers.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Knew exactly what this was, clicked it anyway.

Out of curiosity, why do you have your firewall/router/whatever's doing DHCP set to hand out the ISP's DNS servers instead of Google/OpenDNS? I didn't think anyone actually used their ISP's DNS servers.

With some gateways your ISP can lock those settings down and force DHCP to push their lovely DNS, or at least revert to their lovely DNS a few times a day (I've seen both).

The solution, of course, is to disable DHCP on your gateway and plug it into an actual router, but not everyone wants to have a separate device, so manual DNS override is the next best thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LethalGeek posted:

The number of network things at my job "fixed" by disabling IPv6 is not making me feel good about actually using it eventually.
Keep in mind that this is sort of like how many programs could be "fixed" in the Vista era by disabling UAC. The thing that you're disabling isn't causing the problem itself, it's just making the problem with something else visible. Ideally you dig in and solve the actual problem.

I obviously get that sometimes it's easier to just do the bypass, especially with something like this where being unable to access IPv6 currently means somewhere between gently caress and all to most users, but you shouldn't be worried about IPv6 itself just because something in your environment is either broken or set up wrong.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We have to disable ipv6 for DirectAccess because otherwise it doesn't work on 3 or 4 of the national ISPs. It's got to be some kind of fuckery they're doing to translate ipv6 or something because you can take the exact same machine and connect to one of the good ISPs and it works perfectly.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

To be honest, I just plain forgot about it - I swapped my router out at the end of last year because my old one started overheating and at that point it was so old the settings pages no longer loaded properly in any browser, so it'd been like fifteen years since I'd thought about configuration. That said, going in now the modem settings don't surface the option to and I'm too lazy to dig beyond them since I've 'fixed' it on the computer.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Shut up Meg posted:

I have to say that I am impressed with our Dell laptops: the built-in camera, mike and speakers work surprisingly well for video conferencing.

The only issue is that, like every laptop, the camera has a really wide angle of view - so you have to make sure everything behind you is worksafe and appropriate.

My office is set up like a teenage boy’s bedroom. My walls are covered with posters of my favorite bands, like Motley Crue and Winger, Lamborghinis and women in micro bikinis holding six packs of Mickey’s bigmouths. And my favorite is the three women lying on a Budweiser towel and each of them are wearing a swimsuit with part of a Budweiser label so as they are lying down their suits match the towel. It’s awesome.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Agrikk posted:

My office is set up like a teenage boy’s bedroom. My walls are covered with posters of my favorite bands, like Motley Crue and Winger, Lamborghinis and women in micro bikinis holding six packs of Mickey’s bigmouths. And my favorite is the three women lying on a Budweiser towel and each of them are wearing a swimsuit with part of a Budweiser label so as they are lying down their suits match the towel. It’s awesome.

i have to respect the commitment to the "my uncle's garage" aesthetic

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Man working from home is actually the best. I see what I've been missing.

Other note: we finally are rolling out Teams so I can almost ditch Skype and I could not be happier.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm mostly listening in on our weekly Teams meeting, but I think I'm gonna use my wireless ModMic for one of them just to overshadow all the potato-quality laptop mics one day just to be smug about it.

(I don't stream, I just play online a bunch and splurged on something good I can slap on any headset I want)

God damnit. Now you've put the idea in my head I'm wondering how I can somehow be victorious in a non battle of who has the best microphone for calls!? Somehow I'll be a better worker with $250 of headphones and modmic on my head than I would be with $30 of microsoft headset...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heners_UK posted:

God damnit. Now you've put the idea in my head I'm wondering how I can somehow be victorious in a non battle of who has the best microphone for calls!? Somehow I'll be a better worker with $250 of headphones and modmic on my head than I would be with $30 of microsoft headset...

Modmic's are fantastic. You'll never need to care about mic quality when buying headphones ever again. Do iiiit! :unsmigghh:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Modmic's are fantastic. You'll never need to care about mic quality when buying headphones ever again. Do iiiit! :unsmigghh:

I'll be honest, cost aside I'm now trying to find a good set of headphones to pair them with (somewhat more subjective)... but also a USB sound card for those headphones if I go with the ModMic USB - which appears to get rave reviews. Don't know why they didn't include a 3.5mm headphone plug on the Modmic USB...

Also, a ticket didn't come in nor get sent. Those of us not on the remote work frontlines, getting any poo poo done where you need to coordinate with anyone who is just isn't happening. Trying to remind myself no one is about to bite my head off because I cannot get those who are rightfully engaged in a massive WfH increase to do something for me... well not bite my head off with a reason.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean you don't HAVE to have a ModMic. A really good lavalier mic is like the same price (or less!) if you don't want a big ol boom stuck to your headphones.

Heners_UK posted:

Don't know why they didn't include a 3.5mm headphone plug on the Modmic USB...

I think the answer is in the question.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think the answer is in the question.

It means that you cannot ram your newly headsetted headphones into a single usb port in one go, if you're so inclined.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
ohhh I see what you're saying... using the modmic as a DAC for the headphones.

If it were as easy as "just adding a plug," I'd agree.
But DAC's are complicated and you'd still need volume control and opamps and all other sorts of circuitry that would make the modmic that much more expensive.

The ADC that's on the modmic is a wholly different type of function from what your headphones require.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I was pretty excited that we got to prove how robust our WFH infrastructure was and how valuable Office 365 could be to the relatively new upper management team as we scrambled to accommodate social distancing mandates across the company. Unfortunately, despite being the one who orchestrated and oversaw pretty much the entire aforementioned process, I couldn’t prove to them that my position as a second-in-command IT manager was valuable enough to not lay off about a week later.

At least my and the team’s efforts ultimately helped facilitate them breaking the news to me over a Teams video call. :suicide:

Looks like 2020 is :yotj: for me whether I’m ready or not. Stay safe out there, fellow IT goons.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Heners_UK posted:

I mean you could always go with a real microphone...

There's no real REASON for me to use a C414 XLS but poo poo, why not, I've got it, I've got a good preamp for it, and really the only downside is that Teams or Zoom or whateverthefuck is going to take that beautiful audio stream and slam it into some lovely encoder at 12 bit 8 khz.

(I used to work in the audio industry and have a very high standard for what is acceptable. This is actually also why I detest videoconferencing because listening to 20 people all using lovely built-in mics causes me physical pain).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fortis posted:

I was pretty excited that we got to prove how robust our WFH infrastructure was and how valuable Office 365 could be to the relatively new upper management team as we scrambled to accommodate social distancing mandates across the company. Unfortunately, despite being the one who orchestrated and oversaw pretty much the entire aforementioned process, I couldn’t prove to them that my position as a second-in-command IT manager was valuable enough to not lay off about a week later.

At least my and the team’s efforts ultimately helped facilitate them breaking the news to me over a Teams video call. :suicide:

Looks like 2020 is :yotj: for me whether I’m ready or not. Stay safe out there, fellow IT goons.

gently caress sake. Goondolences.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fortis posted:

Oh, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fortis posted:

If you stayed on a c-level out there somewhere might not have gotten a bonus check.