Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Thinking about buying a pup from a "whoopsie" litter. Parents are these beautiful medium-coat German Shephards, exactly what I have been looking for, so I'm really excited about it.

Only catch is due to corona virus fears the owner has been self isolating and it sounds like they haven't started the deworming or vaccination process. They're 8 weeks. Is this a major concern or not a big deal so long as I get the pup into the vet ASAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uhh why would they have worms

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

uhh why would they have worms

I have no reason to believe they do, it just seems like a reasonable expectation that they've seen a vet and had these basic things covered before 8 weeks.

Have only spoken to the owners over the phone. They sound really nice, have raised the litter in their home. Obviously if I arrived to the home and it was nasty or the pups seemed unhealthy that would impact everything.

But no reason at the moment to suspect the owners are sketch or the pups have worms.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Does anyone have suggestions for commands to work on with a 12 week old puppy beyond the basics? We’ve got a lot of time together and a super smart, trainable puppy. She’s got ‘touch’, ‘sit’, and ‘come’ pretty solidly, and has an okay feel for ‘give’ and ‘get it’ when we play fetch. We’re slowly working on ‘stay’, but puppy attention span. I feel like I’m running out of imagination because it took FOREVER for me to teach my last dog just the basics. What else can I be doing with this puppy while we are on lockdown? We have a decent sized and fenced backyard.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

You could look up "Do as I do" or follow the leader.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Teach it the one where if sits up, and then you point your finger and say "bang" and it rolls and flops on the floor dramatically.

More realistically, "shake" is a pretty easy one.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

12 weeks, the dog might still be too uncoordinated for this sort of thing, but teaching them to stand/walk on their hind legs is adorable. We use "reach" for the command.

Also, spin is a pretty easy behavior to capture

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boxman posted:

Also, spin is a pretty easy behavior to capture

We taught this to our pup with the "dance" command and now he "dances" every time a treat is offered to him.

Teaching him to do it is one thing, trying to teach him patience to only do it on command is another thing...

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I love twirl. But now everything is twirl to Sherlock and he just spins in circles when we ask him to do things. So. That.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

luscious posted:

I love twirl. But now everything is twirl to Sherlock and he just spins in circles when we ask him to do things. So. That.

Hahaha my first training with my new pup was "Go to your bed, lay down, stay". Now whenever I try to train her on anything else she bolts to the bed and lays down. :D

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't recommend trying this with a young puppy, but one thing I found really useful for my dog when he was 1.2-2 years old was training for long stays. Literally just "down. stay." and then stop looking at him (read a book or look at your phone or something). When we first started he wouldn't last more than a few seconds before getting antsy (and thus it was basically "look at book, immediately look at him, release and treat"), but eventually he got the message that just because I wasn't watching him didn't mean that he wouldn't get his treat as long as he stayed put, and nowadays he's quite a patient dog.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

We taught this to our pup with the "dance" command and now he "dances" every time a treat is offered to him.

Teaching him to do it is one thing, trying to teach him patience to only do it on command is another thing...

We rescued our dog at 6 years old. Reinforcing behaviors is really easy, teaching her to recognize commands is the hard part. When she's excited she will just spontaneously go through every trick that she knows.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Straight White Shark posted:

We rescued our dog at 6 years old. Reinforcing behaviors is really easy, teaching her to recognize commands is the hard part. When she's excited she will just spontaneously go through every trick that she knows.

Yup, pretty much. It's pretty adorable and hasn't led to any bad habits so I don't know if I'm going to stress too hard about correcting it anytime soon.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wouldn't recommend trying this with a young puppy, but one thing I found really useful for my dog when he was 1.2-2 years old was training for long stays. Literally just "down. stay." and then stop looking at him (read a book or look at your phone or something). When we first started he wouldn't last more than a few seconds before getting antsy (and thus it was basically "look at book, immediately look at him, release and treat"), but eventually he got the message that just because I wasn't watching him didn't mean that he wouldn't get his treat as long as he stayed put, and nowadays he's quite a patient dog.

Yeah! We are working on it but her attention span and need to follow me make it hard for her to do more than a second or two or stay. Some awesome suggestions though! I never would have thought of spin, but I bet she can pick that up really fast! Thanks everyone!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

good god I want to work on this with Sherlock so much but between the two of us we just lack the ability to do it. A short stay would be a good start.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Loose leash walking. Heel. Place. Kennel.

We taught ours to lay on his bed and wait for food until we give him the okay to go eat. It's nice. Every day at 530-6 he goes to his bed and lays down because he knows the routine. We can say a bunch of other words but he won't move until we say okay. It really helps to do this when were eating dinner so he's also eating and not begging. It also reinforces impulse control

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Medullah posted:

Hahaha my first training with my new pup was "Go to your bed, lay down, stay". Now whenever I try to train her on anything else she bolts to the bed and lays down. :D

Yup, whenever I say we are going to do training, my dog goes to his crate and sits because that was the first big one we did at home.

He came to us somewhat trained in some of the simpler commands so yeah.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The thing I'm most glad I taught my dog is "wait." And that leads into that trick where you put the treat on their snout and then they catch it. She doesn't always catch it but she's good at waiting for it!

We also taught her to roll over but we don't do that one anymore because she's old and it doesn't look all that comfortable for her. If we have a really good treat she busts it out on her own sometimes though.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I had been planning on getting my first puppy for some time, and it's finally time! In the middle of self-isolation!

I will be picking up an 8 week old very soon. It will not be possible to socialize this pup with humans outside my household (3 of us), or with any dogs. We do have 1 cat to socialize with, but I'm not sure how much good that does.

What recommendations do you have to make this dog as social as possible, given I won't be able to do the typical thing of introducing it to other dogs and people for at least another month (and likely longer)? Or am I over concerned?

(For context, this is my first dog. I have wanted a dog for years and my life is finally in a good steady place to have one. I am hyper concerned with giving the dog the best quality of life I can, so I'm anxious about doing all the right things.)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What recommendations do you have to make this dog as social as possible, given I won't be able to do the typical thing of introducing it to other dogs and people for at least another month (and likely longer)? Or am I over concerned?

My vet behaviorist has been freaking out about the potential fallout from all the puppies not getting adequate socialization during social isolation periods so you're right to be concerned! A lot of dog trainers do online classes so check out one of those for week by week lessons and goals. Some places are also doing puppy socials without the owners, just make sure it's a place you really trust to handle your dog without you there. I'd trust my vet behaviorist's puppy socials but I probably wouldn't be dropping my dog off at petco or whatever and hoping for the best.

Here are some articles that might be helpful.
https://www.preventivevet.com/dogs/socializing-your-puppy-while-social-distancing

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/socialize-puppy-times-social-distancing/

Here's a trainer I know is good that is doing a 4 week online puppy class (with discount code!)

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 3, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
This is concerning to me too, since my dog is in heartworm treatment and I've had to keep her isolated for the last few months for that - luckily her final treatment is Monday and hopefully she can start being a bit more active, but without people being out and about she's not going to get any socialization. :(

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Bananana posted:

Well then I'm gonna wait on the puppy for now, and aave up until i can afford the right, healthy pup.

Thank you folks in here for the tips and help. :)

Some time later, and here we are:
Put a deposit down on a cute girl!
Can pick her up in 2 weeks.
Very excited! :3:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well you can’t post that then not show the dog off!

As per my post a few days ago, I lost my sweet hound on Sunday morning. Friends and family talked amongst themselves and basically concluded that I need a companion still, as long as I felt ready, so encouraged me to pick up lovely Hector. I held him as a temporary foster about 6 months ago, but he wasn’t able to get a forever home as he can’t settle down with other dogs. When he left my place, the blanket he flew in with (he came in from Colombia) was left behind by mistake, so he’s been reunited with that. He’s a very sweet boy and is making it easier to deal with everything right now. Still extremely sad and grieving poor Emmy, but the house doesn’t feel so empty.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’m picking up a chiweenie puppy today. Pics incoming. My current boy Dexter has done very well with my in laws new puppy, so I convinced my wife he needs a dog buddy permanently since the cats don’t put up with his poo poo.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Apologies for the glamour shot. Can't pick her up for 2 more weeks, so for bow, this is all i have of her.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

After a stressful vet visit today, just a friendly reminder make sure you are getting your dogs/puppies comfortable with people wearing masks and face shields.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Bananana posted:

Apologies for the glamour shot. Can't pick her up for 2 more weeks, so for bow, this is all i have of her.

Adorable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Yea that's what this one does. She pretty much goes in the same corner of the living room all the time as it's not really used, so she's kind of designated it as a "safe place" to go. She drinks so much water it's crazy. At least it's all hardwood / vinyl in my apartment so it's easy to clean, but it's still really frustrating.

Picture of the tiny idiot:

This rear end in a top hat's new thing is waking up in the middle of the night, getting out of bed [without waking me] and taking a piss in the living room now :argh: Day 1 of crating her over night last night, shockingly no whines or anything.

That picture is entirely too cute.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

As per my post a few days ago, I lost my sweet hound on Sunday morning. Friends and family talked amongst themselves and basically concluded that I need a companion still, as long as I felt ready, so encouraged me to pick up lovely Hector. I held him as a temporary foster about 6 months ago, but he wasn’t able to get a forever home as he can’t settle down with other dogs. When he left my place, the blanket he flew in with (he came in from Colombia) was left behind by mistake, so he’s been reunited with that. He’s a very sweet boy and is making it easier to deal with everything right now. Still extremely sad and grieving poor Emmy, but the house doesn’t feel so empty.

Sorry about Emmy :(
Hector looks super happy, I’m glad he gets to be with you again!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well the rescue messed up and our chiweenie puppy is available tomorrow. So I drove 120 miles for nothing today.

But a cute lil scruffy chihuahua terrier is also available now... and that’s basically what our current dog is. And we love him a lot.

How do you pick between two puppies? If they weren’t so drat expensive for deposits I’d say both...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm sorry dude

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Joburg posted:

Sorry about Emmy :(
Hector looks super happy, I’m glad he gets to be with you again!

Thanks both. That dog was a rock for me in the year since my wife passed, so I took it super heavy. My brain is kept busy now at least, and Hector is a very sweet boy who deserves some love.

Except for the bit today where he kicked my laptop off the table, but eh I need a new one anyway. He’s just helping!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Condolences for your loss.
Glad you're letting a new pup into your heart. Sorry about the laptop

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Question:

What is the best Dog Health insurance option out there?
I've found several options for, "oops your dog jumped off too high a rock, and broke its leg" insurance, but haven't really seen any more for like... just a reduction in vet bills, fees, meds for like regular stuff. I guess I'm just looking for something more analog to my own health insurance. Is that a thing?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

The Bananana posted:

Question:

What is the best Dog Health insurance option out there?
I've found several options for, "oops your dog jumped off too high a rock, and broke its leg" insurance, but haven't really seen any more for like... just a reduction in vet bills, fees, meds for like regular stuff. I guess I'm just looking for something more analog to my own health insurance. Is that a thing?

I don't think there is really anything like that for insurance. Banfield's monthly subscription comes close though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

This is Ziggy. I ended up choosing the chiweenie puppy cause the other guy had some health problems in his litter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I JUST MADE A MISTAKE

i dropped one (1) kibble into apollo's full water dish while serving his dinner

decided to fish it out later so he could eat

went to sit down

SPLASH SPOOSH

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Got the Embark results back! Most interesting part is it seems likely puppy's parents were littermates. Given mom was pregnant at less than one year old :aaa: that sort of fits. She's about half pitbull/amstaff which isn't surprising. There's some bulldog in there too which is turning up a bunch of fullbreed relatives - which feels like some popular AKC sire. We suspected the bulldog though because some of her brothers definitely have the look.

She's about a quarter mix of husky and great pyrenees which I never would have guessed. I wonder how certain they are on that vs other similar breeds?? Who knows. Either way! Made for an afternoon of entertainment.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Thanks everyone for the help in my last post.

Our 12 week old german shepherd lab max that's been with us now on the third week seems to have had a bit of a regression in her crate training. Whereas before, we introduced her slowly to the crate (throwing treats, hanging out in there, closing it for a few minutes, etc.) and she sleeps throughout the night almost perfectly (she usually can last for the whole night if we do a last potty break at 11pm and wake her up at 5am). The first two weeks, if we put her in the crate she would eventually settle down on her own and go to sleep. We have a sheet over the crate, and its in the dining room/living room area so we're still around.

The past week or so I feel like there's been a regression in her crate training as now she whines, cries and barks for quite sometime after being put in, particularly in the afternoon or evening. We don't want the crate to be a negative environment, so we've thrown in some occasional crate training again to keep it up (mostly just spending time with her, throwing treats in the crate, doing basic sit-down commands, giving her high value treats only in there).

Now the problem is, she's also just not getting enough sleep we feel for her age. But, if she's outside of her cage she will not settle down on her own, and proceed to do what puppies to best and just bite and do zoomies all over the place, getting more and more frustrated. So, we lure her into the crate, and whereas before she would settle now lately she seems just to have gotten worse at it.

So, how do we balance all of these competing issues? On the one hand, she only sleeps when she's in the crate, but now she's starting to bark and whine more in the crate, possibly making it a negative experience. So if we let her out, she'll just continue running around and getting more frustrated. We want to focus on sleep right now, but at the same time we also don't want to create this negative impression of the crate.

She's unfortunately just incapable it seems of falling asleep in the living room on a pillow or beside us, but maybe we could try and work on that so we can do less crate time to ease back into it. Right now my partner and I are WFH, but eventually when this virus stuff is all over we're likely back to our 9 - 5 job, and except for potentially coming in at lunch, she'll need to get used to the crate. Luckily we have a few months, but we want to start it right.

Note, I also think we do get quite a bit of exercise and stimulation in when she is up for her playtime sessions. We do training and play with lots of fetch, and after she goes potty I'll sometimes run her up and down the back alley to try and get some energy. Given social distancing / self - isolation, she hasn't had much puppy/dog interaction which we'll need to work on (we had a friend drop off her 2 year old german shepherd to hang out with us and get introduced to our dog, which we need to do more of with dogs we know are vaccinated), and we've driven her around town a couple of times to socialize her to different environments. I also each day try and carry her to the corner of our busy street on a bench to watch traffic, people and dogs and get her stimulated that way.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
About a month ago, my wife and I recently adopted a young dog from a local shelter, and while he is generally well-behaved and a joy to have, he has become much less affectionate with my wife over the past two weeks or so.

The dog—Charlie—is a neutered male poodle mix, about one to 1.5 years old. We are otherwise unsure about his background, other than he had at least one previous woman as an owner and was placed in the shelter because she was unable to care for him. He has been to the vet and is current on all vaccinations and does not have any known health problems. He gets plenty of exercise (1 to 2 hours of walking plus play—he appears to have a lot of energy and is quite athletic) and is rarely alone due to the current global pandemic. He does not appear to be anxious; we have left him alone for a few hours at a time without any issues.

When we first adopted him, he was affectionate towards both my wife and I in terms of wanting to snuggle with both of us equally, spend time with us, etc. However, more recently he has begun seeking my affection exclusively; for example, he will sit or attempt to sit in my lap or snuggle on the couch with me but will not do the same with my wife, although he will sit near her. This is causing her some distress, particularly as this was supposed to be more her pet . Last night, I picked him up and placed him between my wife and I on the couch and he snuggled with both of us just fine, and otherwise does not appear to actively dislike my wife—he will sit near her during the day, play with her, etc. but only if she seeks him out. Conversely, he will actively solicit my attention.

Training wise, my wife and I have been working on the basics—sit, shake, walking without pulling, etc. While we both had a dog growing up, we are otherwise inexperienced dog owners and we obviously can’t take him to training classes right now. The dog is not crate trained and sleeps in the same room as us—we tried to get him to sleep separately, which worked for a few weeks, but lately he will not stop barking if left out of the bed room and, because we live in an apartment, letting him cry it out is not an option. According to his notes, his previous owner let him sleep in her bed and this habit appears to have carried over.

Advice on ways my wife can bond with him more and vice versa? She does most of his training now and we’ve tried having her take feeding duties. Information on the internet is conflicting.

DeceasedHorse fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 7, 2020