Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yay i have started painting!

Painting some miniatures have been on my bucket list for like 25 years, from back when i played a bit of Epic and tried some painting and completely failed.

I decided to do my first batch exactly the same way as the tutorials so i bought a full suite of GW paints and some brushes and am painting step by step in the same order that Duncan does.

Random Thought 1: Holy poo poo it is not at all apparent just how tiny space marines actually are when you are watching youtube painting vids
Random Thought 2: why the gently caress did i pick Thousand Sons marines of all things as my first paint project. So. Many. Details.
Random Thought 3: Half the paints that are applied show no real change in miniature appearance when applied (on youtube) so right now it feels like half my paint jars are pretty pointless. Like i have an entire can of Ahriman Blue whose only use is to paint a tiny little wedge on the nose on some of the marines. The visual impact of drybrushing for example translates poorly through youtube
Random Thought 4: I guess there are a lot of ways to Rome. The lists of paints that Duncan uses in his video for 1k Sons and GW has on their webpage to get them "parade ready" are long but also differ surprisingly much. The entire set of greyscale paints are different for example. Duncan also uses Abaddon Black which GW webpage does not list at all and thats pretty weird, its a fairly characteristic color.
Random Thought 5: I have watched too many Duncan videos and am aparently thinning my paints too much. I have needed to apply 2 coats of everything so far, something i have never seen Duncan do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ineptitude posted:

Yay i have started painting!

Painting some miniatures have been on my bucket list for like 25 years, from back when i played a bit of Epic and tried some painting and completely failed.

I decided to do my first batch exactly the same way as the tutorials so i bought a full suite of GW paints and some brushes and am painting step by step in the same order that Duncan does.

Random Thought 1: Holy poo poo it is not at all apparent just how tiny space marines actually are when you are watching youtube painting vids
Random Thought 2: why the gently caress did i pick Thousand Sons marines of all things as my first paint project. So. Many. Details.
Random Thought 3: Half the paints that are applied show no real change in miniature appearance when applied (on youtube) so right now it feels like half my paint jars are pretty pointless. Like i have an entire can of Ahriman Blue whose only use is to paint a tiny little wedge on the nose on some of the marines. The visual impact of drybrushing for example translates poorly through youtube
Random Thought 4: I guess there are a lot of ways to Rome. The lists of paints that Duncan uses in his video for 1k Sons and GW has on their webpage to get them "parade ready" are long but also differ surprisingly much. The entire set of greyscale paints are different for example. Duncan also uses Abaddon Black which GW webpage does not list at all and thats pretty weird, its a fairly characteristic color.
Random Thought 5: I have watched too many Duncan videos and am aparently thinning my paints too much. I have needed to apply 2 coats of everything so far, something i have never seen Duncan do

Random thoughts 4 and 5;

There are, as you have surmised, many many ways to Rome. You dont need to match paint guides exactly to get an almost identical appearance (if thats what you are trying to do). If you are highlighting with a slightly lighter grey than someone else, the difference will be imperceptible. If you are using a different brand of electric blue paint as a basecoat then the difference may be noticeable if you put your miniature next to theirs, but then what undercoat you used, how many layers, what washes and highlights you used would make more of a difference. Basically dont get too hung up on the exact paint names. (and feel free to go "gently caress it, this nose wedge can be black on my guys instead" if you like). Especially if you are following a guide made by the people who want to sell you as many paints as possible. Having said that, dont feel like any of the paints you have are pointless, you'll get use of them all eventually if you keep painting long enough!

You never see Duncan applying two coats, but you do hear him saying "And this might take a couple of coats". They just dont show him actually doing it (because they want to keep the videos concise). You may be thinning your paints slightly too much (so mess about until you are happy with the consistency you are getting) or you may be getting it spot on. Its easier to apply another coat if you need it than it is to get paint back off the miniature if you went in too thick.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Ineptitude posted:

They mostly edit out the in between stuff like doing multiple coats. My advice would be to still thin your paints as much as possible to get a smoother finish because unthinned paints result in a very rough finish. I thin my paints to the point that they're as thin as I can get them without the water's surface tension loving with the coverage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's definitely possible to over-thin paints but as a beginner under-thinning is a much bigger concern. The right amount to thin for a given job is just something that just comes with experience (or did for me anyway).

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Turns out tinting and painting clear resin can be done without worry:

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Anyone have any ideas for basing emperors children (magenta primary)?

I'm feeling like grey with some orange details (rusted metal?)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the adjustment to sufficiently thin paint came in two stages for me - so when i started using paints that were the right consistency, it turned out i also had a nasty habit of overloading my brush. too much thinned paint loaded up -> paint runs uncontrollably off your brush and all over the model. so i had to learn to back off the amount of paint.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Finally got some time to finish some stuff! A master of Possession for Blackstone Fortress and some Ur-Ghuls. The MoP is such a cool model!

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
My kitbashed Lazarus came out pretty good in my book, although through the process I learned to hate painting that banner almost as much as I hate painting yellow in general.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Two Headed Calf posted:

Anyone have any ideas for basing emperors children (magenta primary)?

I'm feeling like grey with some orange details (rusted metal?)

I based mine with grey gravel, the blueish-grey Tufts from army painter, and snow. I think it looks alright. I struggled with how to base them for a while as well. I saw some witchy demon time like bases somewhere that had a blue glow to the runes which looked pretty cool, but I can't seem to find the image I saved of it.

I thought about doing lava style bases with mordent earth, only with a Warpflame green rather than lava, but I wanted the bases to be more natural and neutral colored.

I'd love to see what you come up with when you decide.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

My kitbashed Lazarus came out pretty good in my book, although through the process I learned to hate painting that banner almost as much as I hate painting yellow in general.

That's a cool dude with a cool banner. The lava base is excellent.

But hating yellow? Yellow?

What do you know of yellow??

Have you stared into the very soul of yellow???

Have you felt yellow staring back?!?!

;)
Sorry, I'm having a rough time finishing this bastard. I've been painting yellow for two weeks now. It takes six coats of paint to get the yellow to where I want it. Still some detailing to go, along with the heavier turret.

At least I'm almost done with the yellow.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Count_Brass posted:

Finally got some time to finish some stuff! A master of Possession for Blackstone Fortress and some Ur-Ghuls. The MoP is such a cool model!

God your colors are so crisp. How do you do that? Do you even use washes at all?

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Decorus posted:

That's a cool dude with a cool banner. The lava base is excellent.

Thanks, the banner flows just enough to make it a pain in the rear end to paint half of it.

Decorus posted:

But hating yellow? Yellow?

What do you know of yellow??

Have you stared into the very soul of yellow???

Have you felt yellow staring back?!?!

;)

At least I'm almost done with the yellow.

I've suffered through painting yellow doing a Hive Tyrant conversion for a buddy. Painting something only yellow is much less...frustrating than painting something only half yellow. Because if it's entirely that color you can just prime it white and airbrush your cares away, but if it's only half, any time you paint with the other major color there's an ungodly amount of trying to touch it up that you have to do and it makes you want to kill yourself.

Yellow truly is the devil's color, and you have my sympathy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

God your colors are so crisp. How do you do that? Do you even use washes at all?

Teir process appears similar to mine. My guess is that they do wash, but layers another coat of the primary color over this. It could also be a very directed application to a varnished model. Some areas appear to be zenithal, airbrush highlighted or wet blended, and the technique is very good.

My gut says brush, mostly because of those flames.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Dienes posted:

Thanks! I absolutely use washes and contrast paints (in fact the only bits I didn't wash on the MoP are the fire and the tabbard.) The bone for instance is super quick and simple: base with wraithbone, skeleton horde contrast, thin layer of screaming skull and highlight of wraithbone. For stuff like the metal trim I paint that black first then only paint the top, that way you get a nice neat black line along the edge without having to tease a wash around it. I take forever to paint stuff so I'm always looking for faster methods.

Eifert Posting posted:

Teir process appears similar to mine. My guess is that they do wash, but layers another coat of the primary color over this. It could also be a very directed application to a varnished model. Some areas appear to be zenithal, airbrush highlighted or wet blended, and the technique is very good.

My gut says brush, mostly because of those flames.

Yep, all brush apart from using an airbrush to apply the green armour base. No zenithal, no wet blending (two things I need to have a crack at for sure,) no airbrush highlighting. The flames are the first time I've ever tried painting fire, didn't have a clue what I was doing but I think they look ok overall.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Yellow truly is the devil's color, and you have my sympathy.

Pink basecoat, then yellow over that. Fade the pink towards white/brown for highlights/shadows as needed.

It gives the yellow some nice depth, similar to using a red basecoat for gold, to warm it up a little.

I still don't like painting yellow, but I hate it less now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Nothing makes a model look more technically sophisticated than being neat and avoiding blotchy coverage. You absolutely had me fooled, I anticipated a way more involved process than that.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I've decided that I hate grey airbrush primer. I can't tell where I've covered a model at all.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

I've seen a bunch of MoP but this little bastard is insanely well executed

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Count_Brass posted:

This dude is gonna wreck He-Man

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Squinting while painting is wrecking my eyes.

I think it is mostly due to the lighting and not proximity, so what kind of lamp am i looking for to improve this? Like what amount of Kelvin? I think Kelvin is the parameter to look for when deciding on a lamp for this scenario?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I think it is mostly due to the lighting and not proximity, so what kind of lamp am i looking for to improve this? Like what amount of Kelvin? I think Kelvin is the parameter to look for when deciding on a lamp for this scenario?

I have a typical desk lamp, but I have a 5K 100W-equivalent LED bulb that I found on Amazon for like $6. Its the best, in my opinion.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I use this and it’s great - i don’t always use the magnification but the ring light provides really great shadowless light regardless

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

You want somewhere around 5000k. That measures color temperature (how blue/yellow the light is). Beyond that there are 2 important stats: CRI or Color Rendering Index determines how accurate things will look (a low number means the light is missing colors, which can gently caress with how your models look). Look for a minimum of 85. The second Stat is Lumens, which is how bright it is. You want this as high as reasonable, and preferably be able to adjust the brightness.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Here's my tip for painting yellow. Paint it bone white, then paint the entire thing with the Iyanden Yellow contrast paint. Then paint over That with your yellow paint and shade with Agrax earthshade.

It's what I've been doing for my hazard stripes anyway and it's far less frustrating.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Hixson posted:

The textured white on the shield is really cool

Thanks, it was kinda a happy accident. That white has such poor coverage, but I like the energy of the slashes.

Count_Brass posted:

Finally got some time to finish some stuff. The MoP is such a cool model!

This guy is awesome, love the pink flames!

Painted up this space elf cat.

KING OV HELL
Apr 2, 2014
Any advice on how I could make this armor look less flat?

I was trying to emulate this, but I feel like there some color depth I'm missing.

These goats are supposed to be black metal af, so I was trying for a more muted palette to begin with, but I feel like there isn't enough depth in my nmm

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jadebullet posted:

Here's my tip for painting yellow. Paint it bone white, then paint the entire thing with the Iyanden Yellow contrast paint. Then paint over That with your yellow paint and shade with Agrax earthshade.

It's what I've been doing for my hazard stripes anyway and it's far less frustrating.
i do yellow really similarly, except i just do like 2-3 coats of yellow wash because i don’t have contrast paint. i also drybrush citadel’s hexos palesun over my yellows because i like really pale highlights

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

KING OV HELL posted:

These goats are supposed to be black metal af, so I was trying for a more muted palette to begin with, but I feel like there isn't enough depth in my nmm

I think you need to push up to white in the center of your highlights. Not too much, just some dots and dashes

Looking good so far though

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Skails posted:

Oof that's gorgeous, the fur texture is amazing!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Dunno if this got posted here, but Secret Weapon Miniatures is running a Kickstarter for HD Bases, where they can apparently do full color printing on a base. It's been fully funded, but there's still 7 days left if you want to donate.

They look pretty impressive, especially the wood panel ones. :eyepop:

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Turns out tinting and painting clear resin can be done without worry:

That's really cool. When I saw that some 3D prints resulted in translucent resin, I wondered if there was a way to paint over it in some way and retain that effect.

Skails posted:

Kitty! :3:

Actually, I've been wondering: is Yvraine's cat actually a cat, or something else. I don't think I've seen it stated anywhere, but it looks like the Gyrinx from the original WH40K 1e 'Rogue Trader' book.

EDIT: Did a search, and it is a gyrinx, named Alorynis.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 31, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So is anybody gonna pirate Darren Latham's videos before he removes them

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Phi230 posted:

So is anybody gonna pirate Darren Latham's videos before he removes them

If by pirate you mean download publicly available free videos, then yes, many people have.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

jassi007 posted:

If by pirate you mean download publicly available free videos, then yes, many people have.

Sorry if I missed the discussion, why does he have to shut down? Is it known if GW shut him down?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Booyah- posted:

Sorry if I missed the discussion, why does he have to shut down? Is it known if GW shut him down?

It's understood that GW asked his to stop running a channel that competes with GWs channel.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ineptitude posted:

Kelvin and CRI, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6EhXd0Urs

That's a very helpful guide if you're interested in finding out a bit more.

This is my setup at the moment; with a Daylite task lamp added and the Ikea task lamps pulled back a little.

I use Hue bulbs in the task lamps, which are set to 5000k, and the Daylite task lamp is fixed at 6k, which gives a really nice balance.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

JBP posted:

It's understood that GW asked his to stop running a channel that competes with GWs channel.

Ugh, awful. They were complimentary channels in my opinion, Daz's stuff was higher level with more difficult techniques, and GW still does the beginner accessible stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's entirely reasonable of the company. That said, they are idiots if they don't have him producing guides for them during the plaguening.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

KING OV HELL posted:

I was trying to emulate this, but I feel like there some color depth I'm missing.

Is yours pure greyscale? The other one you quoted definitely has some turquoise or something in it, so try mixing a tiny bit of color into white/light grey paint. You could also try glazing over it, but it would be tricky to get such a subtle amount of color that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Booyah- posted:

Ugh, awful. They were complimentary channels in my opinion, Daz's stuff was higher level with more difficult techniques, and GW still does the beginner accessible stuff.

The rumour is there will be an 'eavy metal style series starting soon to accompany the beginner stuff the studio is currently putting out.