Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm not particularly interested in 30MM stuff but I do like how they're becoming Mecha LEGOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Before/After shot is cool to show how it was pulled off:

https://twitter.com/protocraft_bg/status/1243112721492504576

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Before/After shot is cool to show how it was pulled off:

https://twitter.com/protocraft_bg/status/1243112721492504576

Really wish there was step by step on this (unless there are and I can't read my way there) as if like to know how the pincers were done, and if they could assemble the body just by putting parts together or if stuff needed to be cut and glued. I can see helmets on either side.

I'd it right that 30MM don't use polycaps? Will they not simply swap onto an IBO kit?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Really wish there was step by step on this (unless there are and I can't read my way there) as if like to know how the pincers were done, and if they could assemble the body just by putting parts together or if stuff needed to be cut and glued. I can see helmets on either side.

I'd it right that 30MM don't use polycaps? Will they not simply swap onto an IBO kit?

They use a few polycaps, but not many.

The pincer looks like the claw attachment that comes with the kit, with the back part pulled off and the yellow shoulder armor bit plugged into the 3mm hole on the outside of the claw, and some sort of other adapter plugged into the 3mm hole on the inside of it to attach it to the wrists.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
https://twitter.com/protocraft_bg/status/1243469328806076416

oh my god

https://twitter.com/protocraft_bg/status/1241353468528320512

Another dinosaur one!

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Super Waffle posted:

The MG Barbatos is a thing of pure beauty and madness. Can't believe the engineering that went into this thing. I'm stunned :stare:

It's insane isn't it? I'm still building mine but the torso alone is insane in its detail and complexity.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
What gets me is how it's all planned out prior to actually buying what you need.

Some great mechanical minds that need to get hired by Bandai.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

Some great mechanical minds that need to get hired by Bandai.

As opposed to that, here's my 30MM entry. I had more elaborate ideas, but the last few weeks have kind of sapped my enthusiasm. Find the Alto Sniper:

This is the dark grey basic Alto with the left shoulder, shield, and faceplate from the dark gray Alto long range sniping armor, the chest and right shoulder from the black Alto command armor, boosters and left hand from option backpack 2, and rifle from the Rifle/Large Claw pack. Inspiration from the GM Sniper.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
these 30mm builds rule!! good job all

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I haven't been able to paint due to plague and weather, but I have most of a design built anyway. It's not going to be complete even in parts until another weapon pack arrives, but I think I can improvise around it.

Not the best picture ever, perils of a phone camera, but hey. At least I beat the deadline.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 30, 2020

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Just finished my entry, thinking for calling it Metal Gear Anubis:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Sick!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Metal Gear?! :eyepop:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Puddin posted:

Got some decent enough weather for me to finish my 30mm build. Went with a sentry bot style of build after changing my mind about 13 times.

Totally forgot to put a top coat on it before I assembled it.

Trying to get decent pictures of a dark model in a dark house is an exercise in frustration.

Anyway, enjoy!

Reposting mine as I'm not going to do anything before the deadline.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
My entry isn't anything special, but it was my first 30MM kit and I thought I'd use it as an opportunity to experiment! I always wanted to attempt some kind of camo pattern. It's not the cleanest look, but I like it. I also finally made myself a small light box, and it's been a process learning how to light it properly.

I didn't have any option parts, so, uh,

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Nice camo! I dig it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
As a thought for the 30MM group build; once we're done we should challenge the Scale-Modeling Thread to see what they can come up with in a month. They made some pretty amazing creations with that Hi-Mock group-build they did a while back.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Unfortunately, due to sickness (not the current pandemic, just got sick before that) and general laziness I never got around to painting my entry. So I guess I'll finish it up at some point, but not officially entering.

I have finished my PG Exia build for now however, I'll try to get some pictures up later.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My company provided us with a small bonus to improve our telework environments. PG Perfect Strike is a pretty solid improvement, right? :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm buying a house with an unfinished basement. I get to have a modelling room and I need ideas/inspiration about to finally have my dream of having a bomb rear end model workstation room.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm trying to get my Barbatos to pose with the 300mm gun but the lack of a third axis on the hands is really frustrating. Is there something I'm missing?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Monaghan posted:

I'm buying a house with an unfinished basement. I get to have a modelling room and I need ideas/inspiration about to finally have my dream of having a bomb rear end model workstation room.

Easily accessible intake and exhaust windows! On a similar note, does anyone have any recommendations for hobby storage containers? I need something to keep pieces in for painting projects...tackle box sounds okay, but was hoping for something a little more purpose built, maybe with movable dividers for resizing sections? What do y'all use?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nur_Neerg posted:

Easily accessible intake and exhaust windows! On a similar note, does anyone have any recommendations for hobby storage containers? I need something to keep pieces in for painting projects...tackle box sounds okay, but was hoping for something a little more purpose built, maybe with movable dividers for resizing sections? What do y'all use?

I got some craft organizers from Michael’s that you can flexibly split up and resize. May have been near the bead and scrapbook section.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Midjack posted:

I got some craft organizers from Michael’s that you can flexibly split up and resize. May have been near the bead and scrapbook section.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Organizer-Dividers-Compartment-Container/dp/B07C718QMV/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does anybody know the Japanese term for hobby room? That could be a good Twitter search for inspiration.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yup.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Does anybody know the Japanese term for hobby room? That could be a good Twitter search for inspiration.

Lol ホビールーム

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yawgmoft posted:

Lol ホビールーム

Thanks!

Not many results pertinent to this discussion though... Monaghan, do your hobby room like either of these

https://twitter.com/okiken_13/status/917021088608960514?s=20

https://twitter.com/TOSHIO_FURUKAWA/status/605583061464420352?s=20

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Monaghan posted:

You'll want better lighting.

No, better than that.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Bad lighting is definitely my #1 issue

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nur_Neerg posted:

Anybody know what Adam Savage uses? He likes doing videos about his tool/modeling setups and why they are the way they are. It's usually at least a good jumping off point.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Ended up not getting any time or motivation to detail this week, but the build itself is just as complete as it was when I last posted.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Cat Hatter posted:

Anybody know what Adam Savage uses? He likes doing videos about his tool/modeling setups and why they are the way they are. It's usually at least a good jumping off point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3uZ88vA_0

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Thanks!

Not many results pertinent to this discussion though... Monaghan, do your hobby room like either of these

https://twitter.com/okiken_13/status/917021088608960514?s=20

https://twitter.com/TOSHIO_FURUKAWA/status/605583061464420352?s=20

Japanese houses and apartments are fairly small though, you'd probably just have a hobby corner rather than a whole room.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Take those runner shelves and put it on a lazy susan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm just looking at all the leftover bits I have from building the Alto Astra out of four accessory packs and realizing I'm gonna have to buy another of these goddamn 30MM kits just to do something with them all :shepface:.

I actually have an idea in that regard though; I think I'm gonna wait for the Cielnova and the Knight-y armor pack, and get that weapon arm to make a Jousting Knight with the claw hand stuck on the end. Maybe get the Tank too to use the tread feet and oh god this is a terrible rabbit hole I'm falling down, send help :ohdear:.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I'm prepped for lockdown in the UK.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Finished the dry fit for my PG Red Astray. I don't have enough clear coat and I'm not ordering more right now so he's on hold until the 'roni chills the gently caress out. Luckily I have a backlog to get through. Absolutely in love with the backpack swords of the entire Astray line.

(Yes, I know the middle part of the bow is flipped around. No, I'm not transforming it for another picture.)

Bonus: Dog named Dolores, an orbital frame.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
See, I thought the sword was the weakest part of the kit. It looks cool but it's a bear to transform and sharper than the actual swords, which at least get big warning stickers to tell you not to poke yourself with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

The Muffinlord posted:

See, I thought the sword was the weakest part of the kit. It looks cool but it's a bear to transform and sharper than the actual swords, which at least get big warning stickers to tell you not to poke yourself with them.

The big sword, without a doubt, is the weakest part of the kit. I have ridiculous fanboy goggles so it didn't bother me too much. The gaps are pretty big, the peg that is intended to keep it rigid with the handle is super short and weak, and as you said transforming it is a nightmare. I really like it as a backpack and that saves the kit overall for me. All that said, I wouldn't recommend it unless somebody is a massive fan of the model overall.