Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

did you have the stock tires on it the entire time? imo it's actually really effective, especially with better tires

No, I sold the 18" austins and bought the gorgeous 19" Pretorias from the '17 R. I later put on Michelin PS4S tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Traction control was always an issue with mine as well even with PSS on the stock wheels. It was by far my biggest complaint about the car.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I changed the traction control so one press is ESC Sport and long press is off. There may be some still on with it off, but it is not noticeable. ESC sport is what is normally the long press and definitely still does ASR or some sort of assist.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I managed to find a 16 gti with the performance and lighting packages and it's been great so far, despite my occasional lack of experience with a manual.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Might go and look at a '20 GTI later today. Had been planning to look into one later this year, but current incentives are making it hard to wait.

Only manual on the lot is a white SE though, neither of which I want. Hopefully if the drive goes well (my fat 6'4" rear end fits) they can order me in a blue S instead.

Haven't owned a VW since my '86 Rabbit, and never purchased new, so this is kinda exciting.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice that they offer the limited slip on the S model now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
drat thing's gotten expensive though

the Rabbit edition was pretty much perfect

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There are still reports on manual transmissions stalling on new GTIs. That's why why '19 was bought back and I was given a DGS model. They did come out with an ECU flash, but doesn't seem to have fixed everyone, just a heads up.

I know it's not for everyone, but having never owned an automatic, I really love the DSG.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sitting at the dealer now, might be driving home in a 2019 white SE. After 6k of discounts it's cheaper than the 2020 blue S I originally wanted.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did they fix the stalling issue on 2019s?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BraveUlysses posted:

did they fix the stalling issue on 2019s?
Kind of maybe. They claim to have fixed it with an ECU update, but people still claim to be stalling, even on the 2020 I see some people reporting it. Glad I'm not dealing with that anymore.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Also, the SE is a lot better than the S. I think the '20 still has an actual key and not push to start. Also DCC if experience package is great and the interior is a lot nicer with the larger screen, leather and sunroof. '19 also gets a 6 year warranty instead of 4.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Also, the SE is a lot better than the S. I think the '20 still has an actual key and not push to start. Also DCC if experience package is great and the interior is a lot nicer with the larger screen, leather and sunroof. '19 also gets a 6 year warranty instead of 4.

Yup, ended up going with the '19 SE. Never thought I'd actually buy a brand new car, but here we are.

Looks good parked next to my wifes Mazda 3.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Looks good man, congrats!

The long warranty is nice especially if you don't plan to mod it. I think 20s come with free maintenance for a couple of years but I don't think that's a good tradeoff.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Enos Cabell posted:

Yup, ended up going with the '19 SE. Never thought I'd actually buy a brand new car, but here we are.

Congrats, same but in black.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Congrats, same but in black.

:hfive:

I think I'm ready to start modding now

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Bummer that VW shortened warranties for 2020. Mk8 GTIs are still scheduled to come out for 2021, right? Has there been any word about wagons, other than the sportswagen being cancelled?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Bummer that VW shortened warranties for 2020. Mk8 GTIs are still scheduled to come out for 2021, right? Has there been any word about wagons, other than the sportswagen being cancelled?

Sportwagen / Alltrack were never canceled, we just were never supposed to get them as part of product planning. I think there's a very slight chance that they come back midcycle but wouldn't hold out hope.

the shortened warranty mostly got redirected in to prepaid/free maintenance, which came back for 2020+.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm happy to do my own maintenance in exchange for 2 years of warranty. Was a big selling point of the '19 for me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup the first few years of new car ownership is easy and cheap

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

yup the first few years of new car ownership is easy and cheap

Lol. I really wanted a new car but realized the added cost for a warranty and the first few years being mostly (maybe) trouble free wasn't worth it, especially when i wasn't really all that impressed with the cars to begin with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i don't like changing my own oil, it's a pain in the rear end, and disposing of it is annoying, and someone else will change it for very little money

i am a bad enthusiast

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't like changing mine either, but you can use an extractor on the GTI and the filter is also accessible under the hood so I plan on just doing that. Also, it's every 10k or a year, so the two years maintenance is just two oil changes I think.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the margin for error there? I’d be interested in trying it, but I’d prefer not to gently caress up my car by accident.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Warbird posted:

What’s the margin for error there? I’d be interested in trying it, but I’d prefer not to gently caress up my car by accident.
Here's a video a guy did with his Golf R and demonstrates how to do it, and how much oil it gets compared to getting under the car. It's pretty simple and would be hard to mess up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RakLAZIRgwU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rusty posted:

I don't like changing mine either, but you can use an extractor on the GTI and the filter is also accessible under the hood so I plan on just doing that. Also, it's every 10k or a year, so the two years maintenance is just two oil changes I think.

yeah i got one for my gti and it works on my wife's cx5 as well. great purchase!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have the same extractor that's in the video, but the largest capacity model (9.5 quarts) to hold the NINE loving QUARTS that our Lexus LS holds in the drain pan. It works awesome, and although I still have to get under the car to change the filter it's WAY less messy because nine quarts comes flying out of the drain like a dam being busted open and there's no way to contain it and keep it from spilling everywhere, so an extractor is worth it for that alone.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 3, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sold! I've gotten pretty good at adjusting my drain pan to follow the flow, but I've yet to do a change without getting some on the floor.

Anyone running e85 in their GTI? I live in corn country, so it's readily available here, but I'm seeing lots of conflicting info on if it needs to be mixed, needs a tune, etc.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 3, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does the urge to go hammer down constantly ever fade? Because I'm closer to 10mpg than 40mpg.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I just went back to my e30 tune in my Focus RS as it was gorgeous for the last 3 days but the weather has promptly returned to poo poo. I fully expect to get closer to 12-15 mpg soon. Ethanol tunes are more about smiles per gallon than miles per gallon.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Huh, never thought about running E85 in the GTI. Not that I can get it anywhere convenient, but still interesting!

My mileage on good old 87 octane has been superb the last month, no stop and go traffic and no cops pulling people over. 70 mph the whole way, and it's been glorious.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
why are you running 87 octane

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It's cheap. Car is 100% standard. 87 is fine for GTIs post-2015, I think?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

It's cheap. Car is 100% standard. 87 is fine for GTIs post-2015, I think?

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see that 91 wasn't required.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Would my Mk7 R run better on 93 than 91? Gas station has both and I usually get 93 bc i wasn't sure. Gas cap says 91, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sure, will you notice without a tune optimized for it? Probably not.
The car will pull timing / cam timing / boost if it detects knock.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hell, I notice that my econobox runs a bit better on higher octane during the hot rear end Florida summer. I usually start running 91 or 93 when I have to use the a/c regularly just to avoid any possible knocking issues because I do mostly city driving and poo poo gets really hot.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Apparently I haven't posted it about five years but here's my Golf R I got about a year ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

albear posted:

Apparently I haven't posted it about five years but here's my Golf R I got about a year ago.

Sweet shot. I'd love to try AutoX in the wet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

MunchE posted:

Sweet shot. I'd love to try AutoX in the wet

It was my first event in the wet. Combine that with it being the first run, cold tires, and a new rear sway bar, I got surprised by some lift off oversteer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Qefocuakc&hd=1