Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rakekniven posted:

It's been a pretty mild winter in Boston

Excuse me but that picture is in Cambridge wrong side of the river :colbert:

But yes already been out in the boxster with the roof down in late Feb and early March is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Hey AI. I have a 2001 Boxster S that had a check engine light when I last drove it, about three years ago. I'm assuming it's cat(s) are bad, since it's munched them once or twice before (previously covered by warranty). Also has a crack in the rear plastic window that's large enough to let water in. Guessing 70k miles, more or less. It's been sitting covered waiting for me to give a gently caress.

Are cats a known problem in these cars? What options do I have for the plastic rear window / top in general.

My independent mechanic is itching for work, so now might be the time. Going to start with a new battery and fluids, then see where it goes from there. Kinda hoping this won't be a big adventure.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

With the rear window a lot of people replace the top with the later one that has a small glass window to get around the issue of repeated openings and closing causing the cracks as well as the plastic window breaking in cold temps. If you don't want to replace the top then you could have somewhere unstitch the old window and stitch a new one in but that would likely be more than just replacing the top.

Not sure about the cats but with any check engine light I would grab the codes and start there. If it has been sitting then any number of sensors or wires could need cleaning or replacing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

At 70k miles I'd want to know if they replaced any of the O2 sensors before suggesting a cat replacement.

I'd also like to know exactly how they went bad (clogged? ineffective?)/why they've been replaced - that's not a normal/known issue.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

How much does it cost to replace the top, ballpark, $gently caress or $gently caress?

e: I hate convertibles and never lower the top, if that makes a difference somehow

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Most places I see are about $600 for the top and probably half days labor to install it so call it $900-1200.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

That is astonishingly cheap! Yay!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How is it running?

I too wouldn't be pointing to the cats so quick - it could be any number of things.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Runs Ran fine. My initial plan is to replace fluids, because why not, and get it running. Then see what codes pop up.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

ryanrs posted:

That is astonishingly cheap! Yay!

I replaced mine myself, and based on that experience I would say that paying someone else $900-1200 is a bargain.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Convertible roof replacement on any car is probably one of the most hosed jobs possible and I'd always have someone else do it for me.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I've been thinking of getting a Cayman/Boxster

Is this a bad deal? My budget's around 45k.

Just looking for a fun weekend car. Seems kinda pricey for a 6 year old car, but what do I know.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

awesome-express posted:

So I've been thinking of getting a Cayman/Boxster

Is this a bad deal? My budget's around 45k.

Just looking for a fun weekend car. Seems kinda pricey for a 6 year old car, but what do I know.

Not a terrible deal for a 981 Boxster S, but I think these are peaking down in to the high 30s, and that was before Coronavirus.

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0CB2A86ES141142/ will give you the spec sheet. It does NOT have ceramic brakes (No yellow calipers, which is a good thing) or the sports suspension as listed on the autotrader ad. If you're in to the DRIVING EXPERIENCE it doesn't have some of the options you might want, but it seems like a perfect fun weekend car for cruising around.

edit: Drove my Boxster Spyder in to work today and drat if that drive in didn't make my day better, no matter the circumstances.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 30, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

FWIW, I personally think it's probably wise to wait a little bit for any luxury/sport car purchase. I think the economy is going to drag down a lot of prices as reality sits on on paper millionaires and they need to dump assets to make ends meet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

FWIW, I personally think it's probably wise to wait a little bit for any luxury/sport car purchase. I think the economy is going to drag down a lot of prices as reality sits on on paper millionaires and they need to dump assets to make ends meet.

Yup, this too.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

slidebite posted:

This is the best idea. With the 0% offers on trucks going on I was tempted to trade in my Silverado but dropping a down payment right now even for a 0% note is probably not the best idea. In Porsche news I washed and dried a key to the 986 so that is going to be the best part of $400 for a new one programmed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

It does NOT have ceramic brakes (No yellow calipers, which is a good thing)

With the cost of replacing those *if needed* I would never ever buy a car with them. Unless they're easily replaced with regular steel ones. Going to iron on Audis you need at least new calipers, pads, rotors and some brackets IIRC.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

BigPaddy posted:

In Porsche news I washed and dried a key to the 986 so that is going to be the best part of $400 for a new one programmed.

Have you tested it? I washed and dried my old cayenne key and it ended up working better after having gone through the laundry. YMMV.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I swapped the battery to the one from my spare and the LED didn't come on when I pressed the buttons so just using the other one right now. On inspection I cannot see any of the solder connections lifted off etc... but if I have a working one I will use that for now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'm sitting on cash for this exact purpose. I did the same in 2008 and it worked out.

It's not time yet. Let this one bake for a bit longer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

I'm sitting on cash for this exact purpose. I did the same in 2008 and it worked out.

I think I said it in the chat thread, but this one may be even better. The illness itself is going to disproportionately hit the elderly boomers, and there will be an opportunity to cherry pick estate sales where the families won't know all of the details. It's a vulture move, but that's capitalism.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I gave some thought to selling my 997, figuring it's going to be worth a lot less soon, but I guess I don't really want to.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

What're we waiting for?

Part of me is waiting for an aircooled 911. :getin:

The other part of me hopes I don't die. :sigh:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

What're we waiting for?

Part of me is waiting for an aircooled 911. :getin:

The other part of me hopes I don't die. :sigh:

Well with a 1986 turbo you can have both!

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

I'm in a similar spot, but what are you waiting for? Cheap real estate? Cheap stonks? Cheap vroom vroom mobiles? I nearly pulled the trigger on a house last year, but now I'm thinking of waiting to see how this whole things evolves.

Btw thanks to the folks who answered my question earlier in this thread! I hit up the seller and she said the ride has a sport suspension because there's a 'Sport' button near the gear shifter lol...

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 31, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

He must be the same kind of guy that thinks the "P" in an auto means Pass.

I'd personally wait a few months. It might even depress 996T prices again!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

awesome-express posted:

I'm in a similar spot, but what are you waiting for? Cheap real estate? Cheap stonks? Cheap vroom vroom mobiles?

Yes.

I'm willing to wait to see what is the deal.

Elephanthead posted:

But yeah, it's this. With 10" fuchs on the back.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

Like I said, there's a guy with a silver 993 Turbo that comes to my cars and coffee...

But yeah, this feels like a nice time to have some extra cash just in case.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I'm not seeing BAT prices move appreciably down yet.

This 996 turbo sold for 50k - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911-turbo-87/
This E63 wagon sold for 57 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-mercedes-benz-e63s-wagon/
This 997 C4s is probably going to go for mid 40s - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-porsche-911-carrera-4s-18/ (note that it looks like the dealer added range 1-3 overrevs during the driving video he made, which is kind of funny)

e: nailed it - 45k

gvibes fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 31, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

People in my area are still listing houses at insane prices as if the corona virus isn't real, so I think it's going to take a few months before people realize that even people with money don't want to spend it / pay January 2020 prices right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah things like this don't filter through overnight. 30-60-90 days when creditors start turning up the heat is when things start going on sale.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

Yeah things like this don't filter through overnight. 30-60-90 days when creditors start turning up the heat is when things start going on sale insane.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Time to start hoarding cool 10-15 year old cars!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I’m also biding my time on the 997 market. I’d love a Targa4(S) but a C2 or C4 might be more realistic.

Questions:

Is missing out on PASM a big deal?

How does a C2 do in inclement weather? We get tons of rain and 1-2 weeks of bad ice here. I’ve only driven RWD 996s in good conditions. The C4 is more intuitive to me out of the gate, but maybe I can learn RR.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

blk posted:

I’m also biding my time on the 997 market. I’d love a Targa4(S) but a C2 or C4 might be more realistic.

Questions:

Is missing out on PASM a big deal?

How does a C2 do in inclement weather? We get tons of rain and 1-2 weeks of bad ice here. I’ve only driven RWD 996s in good conditions. The C4 is more intuitive to me out of the gate, but maybe I can learn RR.

I drove a Cayman through a Wisconsin winter (on winter tires) and it did great. A 911 has more weight over the rear drive wheels.

PASM is nice but not sure I'd absolutely need it if everything else about the car was right.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
If you have appropriate tires (summer with good hydroplane resistance and winter when necessary) the car will be fine in bad weather. The only risk is bottoming out but if you're just talking sheet ice on asphalt that's not a problem.

My old 996 C2 always felt nice and stable in the wet.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I haven't driven a 997 without PASM but I would miss both it and sport chrono. The extra taut ride in sport+ is really fun, and I generally drive in sport+ with the PDK in manual all the time because of it, even in Chicago.

All the electronic stabilization that discourages the tail-heavy car from trying to kill you makes it pretty good in slippery conditions, I think. Won't save you if you do something really stupid, but even the C2S is remarkably sure-footed, so long as you don't get hung up on anything because of the clearance. The C4 is even better, have never gotten mine stuck.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There are a bunch of local PCA guys here (Wisconsin) that drive RWD 996s and 997s all winter with appropriate tires. I drove my 924S as a mostly-daily winter car with Blizzaks for the past 3 years, and it's been great. The 911 weight distribution obviously makes it a bit of a different beast, but from what I understand it's mostly a matter of understanding and getting used to the physics.

My Boxster has always felt very happy in the rain with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which I think is now called the Pilot Sport 4S.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

A base model 911 C2 on proper tires is the greatest winter daily of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Not exactly apples to apples, but my M3 does more than fine with winter tires. RWD with winter tires is stupidly fun in the snow too.